As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Good bands/The bad bands/The bands you might want to see next year?

Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
So the good one were all the normal people who came the year before the same bands like always :) worth my time waitting in line for it to start.

The bad?
Sadly
Anamanaguchi, They sound really bad live and its not at all what they sound on like the site? You know? They sound really good on the site, i dont know if the base? Was up to high but it sounded like crap..

The good?
Mc Frontalot(Even know i never know what the hell he is saying, Hes not that bad)
Jonathan HE ROCK MY WORLD D: i want him to have my kids..
Freezepop(I know i know, She cant sing, but i dont really care its better then i can sing)
The Minibosses always a good band each year.
TheOneups (Not a bad band, I just dont feel there music, Just isnt my type)
That is all

Soda241 on

• NeonJulieNeonJulie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was very sad that Freezepop was up before Jonathan. I for one, couldn't stay up for it.

(Is it not SAD that video-gaming band musicians have to thank the crowd for staying up with them... I mean, wow, that's late! *lol*)

NeonJulie on
  • Nerd TraumaNerd Trauma Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe you didn't even mention The 1ups. They were by far the best band of the whole weekend.

I was not impressed by Freezepop...the singer was offkey the whole night, and it seemed like the drummer was only tacked on for show.

As far as the rest of them, JoCo was amazing, but I wish he was on earlier so it would have been easier to enjoy than at 1 am (4 for us ESTers), MC Frontalot was awesome, and the rest were...meh...

Nerd Trauma on
  • specspec Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess it would be impossible to get them, but I'd love to see flight of the conchords.

spec on
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I LOVED Anamanguchi! I had never heard their stuff before, and while there was a bit of feedback through the system, it was still awesome enough to a) make me stand in the merch line for 45 mins, and b) download their stuff as soon as I got home. I want to see them back next year!

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • NeonJulieNeonJulie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved Anamanguchi too. I mean... how young are those guys anyway? They look like munchkins... good for them!

NeonJulie on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The OneUps have been a favorite of mine since I heard them last year. I've spoken to Mustin and the gang a few times, and they're just an awesome bunch. I was psyched to get their Volume 2 signed by the entire band, and they're still my favorite.

I feel the same way about Freezepop, they're definitely a crowd favorite. Liz's voice seemed a lot different this year then last year, which was odd, but they still rocked. I just think the people running the soundboard were not paying any attention. Same with whoever was in control of the lights... I almost wanted to go down to El Corazon on Saturday night to see them again and find out if they sound a lot better down there or not, but I never did..

JoCo is also awesome, the Sill Alive performance with Felicia Day was great, and not to mention the encore(s) and rick rolls

I only caught the last two songs by Anamanaguchi but they sounded awesome imo. I did get to talk to them for a while during MC Failalot's performance (Sorry guys, that's the term one of my friends came up with and I had to use it).

AS for the Minibosses... They are awesome as well, but an hour and a half long performance was fucking devastating. I was struggling to stay up to keep our camera going. Nihilist even passed out on the floor, I had to fucking kick him to wake him up, lol. So, that's my thoughts. Oh, didn't care too much for the Thickets either, they played good, but they're just not my style I guess.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Absolutely loved The OneUps. Having never seen them live before (I wasn't at PAX 2007), their performance completely blew me away. I've kept up with them ever since Project Majestic Mix and they've always seemed to be in search of a unique sound-- well, they've found it, as evidenced by their recently-released Volume Two album, and good God did it ever sound amazing live. What an incredibly talented group of folks.

Jonathan Coulton put on a great show. And though I'm not a fan of MC Frontalot's music, I did check out his concert, and I have to admit that he and his band are great showmen. If you're into that kind of thing then I could only imagine how much fun you had at his show.

Anamanaguchi... well, it was different. But I really didn't dig it, personally.

And the same is true for The Minibosses. In 2006 they looked like they really didn't give a shit about the concert and in 2008 they looked and sounded like they didn't give a shit. The guitar tone throughout the concert was terrible, bad enough that I left after they did the Contra theme; and after having been spoiled by The OneUps, I don't think I'll be checking out these guys if they return for future events.

I'd be interested in seeing The Protomen at PAX next year, if only for novelty value.

Nijhazer on
  • ArrisArris Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I love a lot of different kinds of music but was rather disappointed with the Saturday night selections.

Anamanaguchi was good but just seemed like they had never performed live before because the mixing was awful so the music was barely tolerable and they only acknowledged the audience even existed maybe twice and one of those times (as someone else mentioned) was to tell the audience they were really tired. Considering most of us had been up and running all day long I was in total agreement with him, but it just seemed like he was making an excuse or something. I'm sure they're a band that sounds better in studio than live and that they will get better with experience & time.

Darkest of the Hillside Thicket...put on a pretty good show, great energy and the music wasn't bad. The only thing that confused me was they seemed rather "upbeat" and happy for being a Lovecraft/Cthulu themed band.

MC Frontalot....I really TRIED to like them after catching the last 15 minutes of the documentary they seemed really great but unfortunately I guess it was WAY too late for me to try and understand anything the lead was saying. Again, the samples of their stuff from the film sounded great but live it was like watching and listening to a 5th grade science teacher try to rap. I'm sure he has excellent verbal prowess and "mad skillz" but it was too much for me at midnight. The instrumentals sounded pretty great though. Again... something I'd rather download than watch live.

I was disappointed that I couldn't stay for the Minibosses but I was passing out on the back chairs before Frontalot took the stage. :-(

I don't want to sound like I hated the music...I just was looking forward to acts like the Video Game Pianist or after hearing Tycho sing at the Q&A and make a strip...I'd kill to have HIS band perform. I hate to sound harsh but I honestly was more impressed with the guy making music with the gameboy sitting on the steps outside the convention center than the bands I saw Sat. night.

Arris on
  • PinderPinder Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I only went to Friday's concert. After an hour of line waiting and then 5 consecutive hours of standing up/jumping/cheering, my entire legs hurt and I didn't think they'd make a second run. Here's my thoughts:

OneUps: AWESOME. There were a couple of times I had trouble recognizing which theme song they were playing (even with the screens - it seemed like they didn't match sometimes), but that's probably just because I'm a youngin' and don't remember a lot of the more obscure games from the period (Toejam and Earl was a treat, though). In any case, though, the music was impeccably top-notch. Loved every second of it. Also, the guy on the keyboard and sax totally looked like Laurence Fishburne, so that rocked.

Freezepop was hit-or-miss. I'll forgive them for the equipment failure during 'Bike Thief', but even then the set was only 50/50. The songs they did well (Less Talk More Rokk, Get Ready to Rock, Brain Power, fucking Final Countdown) they did really well, but the songs they didn't ace were less than mediocre. The two encore songs (Less Talk More Rokk and Final Countdown) totally blew me away, though. I could feel the floor shaking, so many people were jumping around. Also, the only set to inspire crowd surfing. And The Duke totally looks like Matthew Lillard.

JoCo was, as he has always been and always will be, a brilliant class act with humor and charisma to spare. I can't really go on enough about how much I love this guy's performances. He's probably the only performer I saw who I would say is better live than on CD (his banter and antics on stage - like rickrolling the entire audience -are just awesome). I have a signed copy of the Thing-A-Week box set, and I know most of his songs by heart, but I still go and see him every year. The guy is just amazing. I really hope they pull the version he did of 'Mr. Fancy Pants' off the soundboard and make it available for download. And two fucking encores (one of which was actually about fucking...outside). I hadn't heard of him until PAX last year, and I've been a die-hard fan ever since.

I missed Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, which I heard were supposed to be really good. Anyone catch them/have an opinion?

Pinder on
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • SardocasmSardocasm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I agree. The Minibosses tone was incredibly grating. A lot of that could probably be attributed to them not using their own amps.

Sardocasm on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pinder wrote: »
    Also, the only set to inspire crowd surfing.

Man I fucking lost it when I saw that from the back, and I got it on film too! I'm still trying to find it though so I can post it. Props to whoever that was.

EDIT: I just uploaded this to whoever wants to see it. I'm going through to see what I want to put up next, I'll be sure to post it when I get it ready. BTW, Sorry I had to drop some quality to get this up when I did, but it's still pretty good. We'll probably get a better one up later, but this should be fine.
    OneUps Tristram theme

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I left after the One-Ups because I wanted to watch Reformat the Planet, but the One-Ups were amazing as usual, though their game videos leave a bit to be desired. If they're going to use canned game footage on the screen, it should be too hard to capture a video of someone who's actually good at the game. Hell, just use speed run videos.

Saturday night's concert was far, far better than expected. I didn't know much at all about Anamanaguchi, but after Reformat the Planet I was stoked to see them, and they didn't fail to impress.

I love the Thickets' music, but never seen them live, so their stage-show with their music was hilarious. Perfect compliment.

Frontalot just always rocks, quite fun to dance to as well.

I'm extremely glad the Minibosses decided to finally play some new stuff this year, Batman was really fun. Megaman 2 was rocking as always. I had to leave during the second Castlevania they played, though, my feet were destroying me.

Also, I didn't see any mention of the most fun concert: The unofficial chiptunes jam session outside the doors on the street!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I left after the One-Ups because I wanted to watch Reformat the Planet, but the One-Ups were amazing as usual, though their game videos leave a bit to be desired. If they're going to use canned game footage on the screen, it should be too hard to capture a video of someone who's actually good at the game. Hell, just use speed run videos.

I think they intentionally used videos where they died often just to emphasize the "Oneups" name. I'm waiting for another performance of their version of Dancing Mad though. I saw a video of it once and I've been waiting for another performance of it for a long time.

horseman85 on
    PSN ID: dropofh2o
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Good:

One-Ups
    JoCo
    Freezepop (seriously weren't that bad... Maybe it was because I couldn't hear the singing)
    Minibosses

Pretty good

MC Frontalot

Didn't see anyone else... So really I enjoyed it.

parabola on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JoCo was epic.

LewieP on
    edited September 2008
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Pinder wrote: »
    Also, the only set to inspire crowd surfing.

Man I fucking lost it when I saw that from the back, and I got it on film too! I'm still trying to find it though so I can post it. Props to whoever that was.

EDIT: I just uploaded this to whoever wants to see it. I'm going through to see what I want to put up next, I'll be sure to post it when I get it ready. BTW, Sorry I had to drop some quality to get this up when I did, but it's still pretty good. We'll probably get a better one up later, but this should be fine.
    OneUps Tristram theme
    hahaha me and my roommate started the "one more song" on the east side of the stage, and then heard the other side start. It was epic.

Nerd Trauma on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am so glad they did the Tristam Theme. Its easily one of my favourite pieces of game music.

parabola on
    edited September 2008
    I had never really heard anything from them except what was on their myspace, so the whole set was a huge blast since it was all from the second cd. I about lost it when they did Chrono Trigger.

Nerd Trauma on
    edited September 2008
    I fukin lost it when I was playing their Volume 2 disk that night and realized one of the new tracks was from Secret of Mana. I wish they played that at the concert. BTW I'm uploading our footage of "Freezepop - Get Ready 2 Rokk" right now, but I won't be able to link it until tonight because I have to leave for work, like now. I'm uploading it for a few reasons, those being the guy that was crowd surfing at the beginning, and how they ended with the national anthem. I'll probably work on uploading their Final Countdown later, and let me know if there's anything else you guys want to see and I'll try to get it up.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah i knew i forgot a band D: I was in a rush to type it up.

Soda241 on
  • GhazgkullGhazgkull Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JoCo was awesome. Freezepop was too. I liked Freezepop a lot better this year because I've listened to their albums a lot since last year's performance. Their music is pretty atonal to begin with so if you're not used to it, it does sound like Liz is off key...

I listen to Anamanaguchi all the time and love their music, but their show on Saturday was a major disappointment. They played a recording of their music and then thrashed electric guitars on top of it. I guess that's a thing? I wouldn't invite them back unless they figure out a way to actually perform their music live. :(

I also really like listening to MC Frontalot's recordings, but he *really* needs to work on his microphone skills. :( I've seen him at every PAX and even been to his show when he came to Portland and you can never understand what he's saying unless you've memorized the lyrics.

Ghazgkull on
    edited September 2008
    Eh, she was flat for almost every song, even for "atonal". The only song she wasn't flat on was Less Rokk More Talk.

Nerd Trauma on
    edited September 2008
    Ghazgkull wrote: »

I listen to Anamanaguchi all the time and love their music, but their show on Saturday was a major disappointment. They played a recording of their music and then thrashed electric guitars on top of it. I guess that's a thing? I wouldn't invite them back unless they figure out a way to actually perform their music live. :(

But... That's how they do it? If you watch Reformat the Planet, it shows how their NES thing works, you have to program a chip on the computer, attach it to the NES cart, and then play it on the NES. Are you asking them to completely change what they do?

Raiden333 on
  • GhazgkullGhazgkull Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Ghazgkull wrote: »

But... That's how they do it? If you watch Reformat the Planet, it shows how their NES thing works, you have to program a chip on the computer, attach it to the NES cart, and then play it on the NES. Are you asking them to completely change what they do?

Interesting. I guess you're right. Maybe it's just that the guitars are the least important part of their songs (to me)?

Ghazgkull on
    edited September 2008
    To me, all of Anamanaguchi's songs sounded like they needed vocals, yet they didn't sing ever.

It just made it feel like watching some rock band play a whole set without a singer. The songs felt a little empty.

Nerd Trauma on
  • PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I saw all of the Friday bands and I left after Anamanaguchi since my friends were all tired, and I couldn't let them leave without me since we didn't have a hotel (we live close enough, and I didn't feel like going home from Seattle at night myself). I wanted to see the rest, but... eh. How were they, for the people who were there?

The Friday ones all rokked, and I loved them all, but Anamanaguchi wasn't great. I like them, but there's not really anything special about seeing them live, and all of their songs pretty much sounded the same. There's no sense of dynamics, and their show was basically just putting on each song very loudly with some occasional guitar over it.

Yeah, Freezepop was probably off key, which I didn't notice myself.. but my friends mentioned it to me. I guess it's kind of something you get used to, like if you see enough of their live stuff you kind of get used to it. It's a bit strange, but it's also not very good that Liz hasn't gotten better either. You shouldn't have to get used to it.

@ Nerd Trauma: The drummer was probably there because the Duke has had... not so much vacation time lately with Rock Band 2 coming out and all, so they probably needed him to fill in because the Duke would probably be flying back home early. Or it might be just because he's been touring with them lately and they just wanted him to come.

Psychoish on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really liked the Ducktales remix done by the One Ups. It's inspired me to get their CD at the next possible opportunity! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited September 2008
    I never really kept up with Freezepop. But I could have sworn I saw the Duke hanging around the Rock Band 2 stage on Sunday.

Eh, who knows?

Nerd Trauma on
  • PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I never really kept up with Freezepop. But I could have sworn I saw the Duke hanging around the Rock Band 2 stage on Sunday.

Eh, who knows?

He DOES work for Harmonix, so... yeah, that's pretty likely.

Psychoish on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Never liked Freezepop, so I didn't go to Friday concerts. Also, was disappointed that Frontalot didn't open up Saturday, coz I was so tired I couldn't stay to see him. Bought his CD and he signed it tho, which was cool. Was great meeting him. Anamanaguchi was great live too.

Next year, please..... DETHKLOK!!!

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JoCo - Awesome++
    MC Frontalot - Awesome, although I had a hard time understanding him at first.

Freezepop - Not really my thing but they were OK. The Final Countdown did indeed rock.

The OneUps - Meh
    MiniBosses - Meh-- , I left after their second song.

I skipped the other two.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • nephthysnephthys Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anamanaguchi was good, I was excited to see chipmusic at PAX, but they're not my favorite chiptune artists. I'd LOVE to see Nullsleep, Trash80, x|k, Dubmood...

nephthys on
  • Childe DirkChilde Dirk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was there for Coulton and he did not disappoint me. Even better than last year. I thought the One ups were good. I thought Freezepop and Anamanguchi sounded awful although I chalk at least some of that up to the fact that the concert took place in a room that was an acoustical nightmare. At least there was a fantastic Pictochat discussion to keep me entertained while I waited for JoCo.

Childe Dirk on
    edited September 2008
    nephthys wrote: »
    Anamanaguchi was good, I was excited to see chipmusic at PAX, but they're not my favorite chiptune artists. I'd LOVE to see Nullsleep, Trash80, x|k, Dubmood...

Did you catch the jam session out front, that I posted videos of previously?

Raiden333 on
  • GameOver!GameOver! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really liked everything on friday night. I didnt expect Freezepop to be dead on in tune and they were probably my favorite. I would describe all of the saturday stuff as meh, though. Anamanaguchi and Frontalot were my favorite of the day, and thats not saying a lot.

GameOver! on
    edited September 2008
    Figured I would post the next clip I've uploaded, even though the video quality got semi-nerfed somewhere in there... but I'm not worried about it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637avNX9eAU

Keep your eyes on this and this if you want to see more of our clips as they go up.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • SeanBadSeanBad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would also love to see more chiptune at PAX. I loved anamanaguchi, and the Lo-tek Resistance street performance in front of PAX was amazing. chiptune seems like a perfect genre for PAX in my opinion.

SeanBad on
  • Fo0dNippl4Fo0dNippl4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved all the bands. I really wish there was some way I could float or something because the pain in my feet was killing me and almost ruined Jonathan Coulton's performance for me (it didn't though). I skipped the Minibosses this year. I love them but I was mainly their for MC Frontalot and my feet were killing me.

Fo0dNippl4 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I keep telling people that The Advantage needs to play at PAX, but I'm not entirely sure that PAX needs any more "omg we play video game music lolz!" bands. I also don't really think those bands put on a good show. They're great to listen to, but live, I wasn't impressed. I'm not sure I would be impressed with The Advantage, either, judging by the video I can find online.

Has anyone ever thought of moving outside of this very narrow nerdcore genre and getting some more legitimate (not that they aren't legitimate), mainstream artists to play at PAX? It's a large venue, I'm sure we could attract some mainstream names.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I only saw The OneUps, some of Freezepop, and all of JoCo's set.

I fell in love with One Up Studios way back in 2001 or something like that. I heard their version of Donut Hills from Yoshi's Island. Been following them ever since. Their performance was absolutely stunning. With the fact that they almost doubled the amount of songs on their volume 2 disc, I find that there's a less amount of music that I like from the second volume compared to their first. Probably because they expand on the amount of game music they play, a lot of which I haven't played, and probably should.

Freezepop was a lot better this year, probably mainly because of the non-lack of their third band member, who wasn't out working on Rock Band 2. The floor was bouncing to their music again this year, and their performance of "Final Countdown" was a lot better this year.

JoCo was amazing. I'm impressed with his setlist being a lot different than last year, and with the songs that were repeated this year, they were arranged differently. I heard a few songs that I don't really listen to from his Thing A Week project.

As for suggestions for next year's bands, I really want to get The Megas to play at PAX next year. They've started to turn me off to bands like the NESkimos and The Minibosses, who just play the music in the intended genre that they play. I love bands who arrange game music and make the music their own thing (like The OneUps).

If any of you haven't heard of The Megas, check them out. They have only one album out, which consists of music from Mega Man 2, all arranged in a rock style, and they've added very clever lyrics to each song. There are 8 songs for the 8 robot masters, and the lyrics are written in a second person perspective, which give each of the robot masters a personality.

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
This discussion has been closed.