As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax 2008 concert mosh

• Mr. Bawls JanglesMr. Bawls Jangles Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, as a few people noticed, I do pass out Bawls to people who dance with us (if I have any extra on me). Just a little motivation for y'all to visit simplicity and I next year :P

2 years in a row and i don't get one ? :P

Haha, sorry man, gotta see you rock out first 8-)

Mr. Bawls Jangles on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You can dance without moshing. Once people noticed I was actually moving a bit to the music, they gave me a good bit of clearance, not enough to move my feet at all but enough to have fun without bothering anyone. Sometimes it seems like I'm one of the rare few immune to a nerve gas that paralyzes everyone from the neck down, though. I mean, I know we geeks don't really dance, but at least sway or something, come on.

Edit: Also, was anyone close enough to where I was in the Saturday night concert to hear the INCREDIBLY ANNOYING guy who smelled so drunk that he'd be a fire hazard, who kept shouting out "YEAH" and random band names? He was like the love child of Andrew WK and Ted Kennedy. He was directly behind me and kept smacking my buddy and I on the back. I didn't want to start anything because the enforcers were like 4 people in front of me, and I figured they would intervene before too long and I didn't want to be involved. But they never did anything, I had to wait till the guy's girlfriend (who I assume was the who actually played video games, since the guy kept saying shit like 'geek music sucks, this isn't a real concert') got pissed enough to drag him away, but that took like half an hour.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did anyone notice the significant bouncing of the floor? That seriously scared me Friday night. All I could think was "Breaking news at 11 on KING 5... thousands of gamers crushed from floor collapse at the convention center."

trickycoolj on
    edited September 2008
    The Thickets were making us jump in unison, too. I was slightly worried, but not enough to not join in the fun.

Raiden333 on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just an FYI guys, I finally found the crowd surfer in our footage, I'll be cropping it and uploading it as soon as I get the chance! I'll probably just crop that entire song because it was epic!

EDIT: This is what it will look like, except in video form. And it will probably be the whole song, since they rocked hard and even finished it with the national anthem. I'll try to get it up before I have to leave for work, but we'll see.
    bb915a2c.png
    9c52c617.png
    fa1ab08b.png
    e431cf71.png
    bc245c45.png
    37f7fc5b.png
    146f4cfb.png

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • thicketsthickets Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The Thickets were making us jump in unison, too. I was slightly worried, but not enough to not join in the fun.

I'd like to suggest that we gently ushered you to jump in unison.
    WITH THE POWER OF ROCK!

thickets on
    -Toren Atkinson
    lead singer The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets
    game designer Spaceship Zero the RPG
    voice actor Sword of the Stars
    on screen actor Stargate Atlantis: "Midway"
    illustrator d20 Cthulhu; D&D Freeport
    comic artist Secret Files of the World Wildlife Federation of Justice
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did anyone notice the significant bouncing of the floor? That seriously scared me Friday night. All I could think was "Breaking news at 11 on KING 5... thousands of gamers crushed from floor collapse at the convention center."

My husband and I were making jokes about finding the resonant frequency.

Yes, we're science geeks. Why do you ask? :P
    thickets wrote: »

WITH THE POWER OF ROCK!

Yay! Thanks for a great show!

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    boo to crowd surfing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    nemaihne wrote: »
    thickets wrote: »

WITH THE POWER OF ROCK!

Yay! Thanks for a great show!

Seriously. You guys were great, I hope you come back next year. I'm almost thinking about trying to save up enough to make it to the Lovecraft festival in Portland.

Raiden333 on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I present to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6j62ys8vc&feature=related

A song making fun of moshing, with people moshing to it. There really is no logic in the mind of the mosher. I enjoy it, sometimes, in the appropriate venue. It's that last bit that these youngins need to learn. There is a time an a place for everything. Want to flail about and feel like a big man? Go to a punk or hardcore show. None of the acts at PAX were really mosh material, with the possible exception of the Thickets.

SlickShughes on
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I present to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6j62ys8vc&feature=related

A song making fun of moshing, with people moshing to it. There really is no logic in the mind of the mosher. I enjoy it, sometimes, in the appropriate venue. It's that last bit that these youngins need to learn. There is a time an a place for everything. Want to flail about and feel like a big man? Go to a punk or hardcore show. None of the acts at PAX were really mosh material, with the possible exception of the Thickets.

I dunno, i can mosh to Megaman 2 and contra...

xxhennersxx on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I admit, I've only been two years now and both times I found the lack of dancing a little surreal. But you know, that's PAX.

this exactly, so three of my friends and i started rocking the fuck out to freezepop. not moshing, but dancing like whoa, and it was fun to see dudes joining in, and hilarious to see people scowl at us and scoot back

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    still cutting in front of people that waited hours. But me saying that makes me a hypocrit, since I jump openings to get ahead of the crowd as well :D

See, that's a completely abnormal ethos - most concerts, whoever pushes to the front gets to stand in the front. People that go to a lot of other live music would look at you like a three-headed snail if you told them they should just stand behind the people that were first in line.
    Sup. Welcome to pax. Don't be a dick.

Most of PAX is a completely abnormal ethos, I believe.

hahahahahaha

man, they push in front of you and you don't like it? push in front of them.

welcome to real life, don't be a pussy.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    still cutting in front of people that waited hours. But me saying that makes me a hypocrit, since I jump openings to get ahead of the crowd as well :D

See, that's a completely abnormal ethos - most concerts, whoever pushes to the front gets to stand in the front. People that go to a lot of other live music would look at you like a three-headed snail if you told them they should just stand behind the people that were first in line.
    Sup. Welcome to pax. Don't be a dick.

Most of PAX is a completely abnormal ethos, I believe.

hahahahahaha

man, they push in front of you and you don't like it? push in front of them.

welcome to real life, don't be a pussy.

wait - pika puff. You...you seriously think people shouldn't push to the front? WTF? I thought we connected back in 06 when you helped me pick out a gift for my GF...you with your sailor moon blow up doll in bondage on your back...

what?

xxhennersxx on
    edited September 2008
    I say don't be a dick. You say don't be a pussy. Could we meet somewhere in the middle, possibly on the sixth floor?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    I say don't be a dick. You say don't be a pussy. Could we meet somewhere in the middle, possibly on the sixth floor?

lol, yeah. Let's meet at gender oddesy...

dude, seriously? Pushing to the front is normal in apit. You lined up hours in advance to get there first to avoid having to push. not so that people will be forced to be behind you

xxhennersxx on
    edited September 2008
    Moshing is also normal in a pit.

If pushing ahead is the popular and accepted opinion, I'll be sure to use it next PAX.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008

If pushing ahead is the popular and accepted opinion, I'll be sure to use it next PAX.

moshing hurts. pushed ahead doesn't hurt. Say excuse me, most people would be glad to let you move forward. There is often little gaps in the crowd. Move through them.

xxhennersxx on
  • Rocket TacoRocket Taco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It might be popular and accepted opinion at "normal" rock concerts, but in my experience congregated nerds have much more respect for their peers than "normal" people, and this is a huge part of what makes PAX awesome. I'm perfectly happy to let someone get up closer if they're courteous about it, but pushing your way through without consideration for your fellow attendees is a dick move.

Rocket Taco on
    edited September 2008

moshing hurts. pushed ahead doesn't hurt. Say excuse me, most people would be glad to let you move forward. There is often little gaps in the crowd. Move through them.
    totally hurts my feelings. especially when it's that time of the month.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    It might be popular and accepted opinion at "normal" rock concerts, but in my experience congregated nerds have much more respect for their peers than "normal" people, and this is a huge part of what makes PAX awesome. I'm perfectly happy to let someone get up closer if they're courteous about it, but pushing your way through without consideration for your fellow attendees is a dick move.

like i said, people usually say excuse me at pax when pushing forward. It's whatever dude. If you're not shoving i've found people don't care

xxhennersxx on
    edited September 2008
    I care. I care.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    I care. I care.

well tough shit then.

xxhennersxx on
    edited September 2008
    hahaha man pika puff, i'll have to remember to never meet you if i can help it.

its a concert guys, there will be moving around, stop whining.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    i slid right up to the dang front

guess i'm a jerk

i did wind up directly in front of someone terrifically shorter than me, so i swapped places with them, they weren't gonna kill my view

guess i'm a polite jerk

Knob on
  • ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Man, this reminds me of the lineup outside the Exhibition Hall on Friday, before most of us got in. I'd gotten a BYOC badge to 1. be able to use my computer in the BYOC room, and B. get into the Exhibit Hall lineup asap on Friday. So, while 99% of us are in line and waiting, this girl starts pushing ahead with a young man in tow. I rolled my eyes and said, "You know, we'd ALL like to be at the front of the line," and got shouted back at me, "I was in line since 4 in the morning!."

I was flabbergasted.

So I asked him to show us his "4 in the morning" pin. He never did. Nor did he explain why he wasn't already AT the front of the line, having been there since 4 in the morning.

It seems to me that there are gaps for a reason. When you get rid of the gaps, you end up with a Who concert. And I'm sure what PAX really needs is people getting crushed against the doors of the exhibition hall or the stage for that matter.

ariocksayssquee on
    edited September 2008
    they probably went to go to the bathroom

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here is the video I uploaded where the guy was crowd surfing, good example of what happened during Freezepop lol. You can catch him starting at about 2:04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637avNX9eAU

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited September 2008

I saw you at Beppos.

And I think I said it earlier. It's not any concert, it's a concert at PAX. I thought, and saw from 06, that people at PAX would act differently. If PAX concerts are going to be treated like any normal concert, then I would understand and be part of everything mentioned. I thought PAX concerts were different, but if they're not, then they're not. Maybe change the notes to don't be a dick, except at the concerts, where it's normal to be one.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008

I saw you at Beppos.

And I think I said it earlier. It's not any concert, it's a concert at PAX. I thought, and saw from 06, that people at PAX would act differently. If PAX concerts are going to be treated like any normal concert, then I would understand and be part of everything mentioned. I thought PAX concerts were different, but if they're not, then they're not. Maybe change the notes to don't be a dick, except at the concerts, where it's normal to be one.

i didn't go to beppos

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2008
    whooooops. your hair's easily recognizable, so I passed by you somewhere with se people.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You can dance without moshing. Once people noticed I was actually moving a bit to the music, they gave me a good bit of clearance, not enough to move my feet at all but enough to have fun without bothering anyone. Sometimes it seems like I'm one of the rare few immune to a nerve gas that paralyzes everyone from the neck down, though. I mean, I know we geeks don't really dance, but at least sway or something, come on.

Edit: Also, was anyone close enough to where I was in the Saturday night concert to hear the INCREDIBLY ANNOYING guy who smelled so drunk that he'd be a fire hazard, who kept shouting out "YEAH" and random band names? He was like the love child of Andrew WK and Ted Kennedy. He was directly behind me and kept smacking my buddy and I on the back. I didn't want to start anything because the enforcers were like 4 people in front of me, and I figured they would intervene before too long and I didn't want to be involved. But they never did anything, I had to wait till the guy's girlfriend (who I assume was the who actually played video games, since the guy kept saying shit like 'geek music sucks, this isn't a real concert') got pissed enough to drag him away, but that took like half an hour.

Late reply. But yeah, I was one of the teenagers to the right of him, it was kinda funny at first, but maaan, got so annoying.

George Fornby Grill on
  • SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I saw you at Beppos.

when the band says "hold up your ds's cell phones laptops ect and wave it back and forth" you know you're not at a normal concert lol

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
    edited September 2008
    Skinnay wrote: »
    when the band says "hold up your ds's cell phones laptops ect and wave it back and forth" you know you're not at a normal concert lol

honestly they don't even need to say it because people will do it anyway, like last year. They did say something like "cell phones, DS, laptops, & plasma TV's," so that gave me an idea... to wave a plasma in the back next year! or something to that affect...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

No kidding.

And we didn't even really have to PUSH to get to the front. Everyone was standing a bodies length apart from one another!

When we decided to start dancing, everyone backed away. Half of them looked on in Jealousy, a few joined in, and we had a blast dancing to the silly electro-pop.

There were a couple people who were seriously looking at us in disdain, as if to say, "look at those NERDS!."

And one person actually pushed a friend of ours simply because he got within a couple feet of her while dancing.

It was pretty weird, even if I had a blast. I hope a lot more people dance with us next year.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited September 2008
    yea, dear god. we were not moshing, there were no elbows or body slamming at all, people, you can't mosh maybe, but dancing is just fine!

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • PanopeaPanopea Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I also wished for a bit more dancing at the concerts. I kept looking for a section to gravitate towards with other people dancing in it, but there were only scattered pockets of 3 people at the most dancing, so I gave up and just danced by myself :|

Panopea on
    edited September 2008

I saw you at Beppos.

moving during a concert is being a dick?

HOW RUDE!

yes! let us all form a single file line in the order we came into the concert to enjoy it! now now! SINGLE FILE! I WAS HERE FIRST - I AM FIRST IN LINE TO SEE THE BAND.

xxhennersxx on
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I admit, I've only been two years now and both times I found the lack of dancing a little surreal. But you know, that's PAX.
    Fucking A. I've gotten my chops from the Fullerton punk scene (and have the leather in my closet to prove it), moshing seems like a thing to do when things get heavy. Admittedly you don't mosh for JoCo on general principle (the video game nerd's Bob Dylan needs no moshing) but when the Minibosses play... This is year five for me and I just left the steel-toes at home and came in my "nerd flood victim" outfits.

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
  • SimplicitySimplicity Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Panopea wrote: »
    I also wished for a bit more dancing at the concerts. I kept looking for a section to gravitate towards with other people dancing in it, but there were only scattered pockets of 3 people at the most dancing, so I gave up and just danced by myself :|

Come up to the top right hand side :] We always dance! :D

Simplicity on
This discussion has been closed.