As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EQ]Everquest Yes people still play this.....

2»

• EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This thread is making me redownload Everquest to play on one of them private servers. Going to try Shards of Dalaya, I think it's called. I wonder how it'll go...

I sunk tons of time into the EQ of yore, though. When I quit the game in the middle of the Planes of Power expansion, my rogue had over a years worth of /play time on him.

Edgie on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, I had thought I had played EverQuest a lot way back when, when I had about a month total played on my Mage. That was on the period I played on the Test server for about four years between Velious and Gates of Discord. Though I have always been an altoholic, so it my total played time may be up there.

KurnDerak on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I could never check the /played on my bard, it would just be embarrassing.

juice for jesus on
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I checked my warrior and I only have 49 days played. BAH!

Anyway today is patch day and they have added voice chat in like most games have these days. They also added in weightless coin. I added all the patch notes to the op.

Voice chat info
    - Station Voice Comes to EverQuest!

- How does it work in EverQuest? -
    To begin using voice chat, verify the feature is enabled by opening the Option window (Alt+O) and navigating to the Voice tab. This feature will be turned off by default.

Devices: Once Voice Chat is enabled EverQuest will attempt to connect to the correct hardware.

Push-to-talk key: Initially the voice chat system uses Ctrl+Tab as the push-to-talk key. This can be reconfigured to any available key from the Options window, Keys tab.

Output volume: Master volume for all incoming Voice Chat traffic. This setting is independent of music and sound effect volume settings. Setting this to high results in distortion of incoming speech.

Input volume: The relative sensitivity of your microphone. Turning it up means your microphone picks up quieter sounds. Setting this to high results in distortion of your outgoing speech. The sound indicator gives an estimate of the distortion. Red signifies high distortion, yellow medium distortion and green low distortion.

Testing your setup with Echo channel: The echo channel allows you to get an idea of your settings by broadcasting what you say back to you after a short delay.

- The Voice Bar -
    Once Voice Chat is enabled and has successfully connected the Voice Bar will automatically be shown. The Voice Bar by default will remain active as long as voice chat is enabled. A hot key may be mapped to open and close the Voice Bar.

The Voice Bar offers a push to talk button, a list of users of the current channel, what channels are available, a link to Options, and indication of who is currently talking.

The Talk button is simply a push-to-talk button that is mouse activated instead of keypress activated.
    The Voice Users button presents a list of the users of the current channel. Clicking on the speaker by any user allows you to adjust the volume of that player relative to your master volume. A particularly loud player can be turned down relative to other voice chat traffic Moderators for a channel are given additional options of muting a player for the entire channel, banning a player from the channel and kicking a player from the channel.

The channel button pulls down a menu of channels available to you. The currently selected one is shown in green if connected. Red if the connection has failed. Unselected but available channels are shown in white.

Voice chat has been integrated into some other interfaces in the game. Speaker icons show up for players that have voice chat active. The speaker icons behave as they do in the Voice Users window, giving access to Voice Chat options specific to that player.

There is currently an issue with leaving a private channel making you unable to invite someone to a new private channel. We are working on resolving this issue, but until then, logging out and back in should clear your channel status.

- Using the /voicechat Command -
    The /voicechat command offers the following options:

-- on: activate voice chat (ex. /voicechat on)
    -- off: deactivate voice chat
    -- Moderator Controls:
    -Mute <player> - mutes a player for everyone in the current channel
    -Unmute <player>- unmutes a player for everyone in the current channel
    -Kick <player>- kicks a player form the current channel
    -Ban <player> - bans a player from the current channel and kicks them if they are present
    -Unban <player> - unbans a player from current channel

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited September 2008
    I logged on today, there are still a bunch of people in my guild playing... I might join their raid tomorrow :D

juice for jesus on
  • EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shards of Dalaya has been quite fun. Community is rather small - 400ish players at peak time. Aside from the occasional trouble of finding a group, it's been a blast. The players are quite good, very little drama and yet very helpful and always willing to answer even the silliest newbie questions. I've met quite a few awesome people just these past two days, making finding a group even easier. Servers are fairly stable.

The mechanics and classes are very similar to live, but the zone names, quests, loots, mob placement and mobs have (mostly) all changed. A lizardmen race is now in what was Crushbone for example. Guk is still packed with frogloks, but again, mob placement is completely changed, so plenty new to figure out. I'd say level advancement is faster than live, at least from back in the day (admitedly, it's been a long time for me since I've leveled up pre-60) but not too fast to take the 'yippee' out of leveling up.

I have a level 22 monk right now named Surst. Feel free to send me a tell if anyone plays or anyone joins up. If Everquest isn't installed, easiest way to get in would be to install the Everquest Titanium addition, then download the patch program from their website.

Links:

Shards of Dalaya website.

SoD Wiki.

Edgie on
    edited September 2008
    I do believe that "private servers" are generally frowned upon by the powers that be around here.

Anyway, I leveled up yesterday, woohoo! Level 74 bard lfg ;)

juice for jesus on
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Leveling is fast in the live game now. You could do 1-30 in a day easy solo. From there on its fast if you can find a group for a hotzone or you are a good solo class. I imagine a beastlord or a mage could solo in the hotzones with no problem. I had trouble soloing with my berserker but once I got into the 50's it was easy to find a group again and now at 61 getting a group to grind AA in the plane of storms is rarely a problem.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on