As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Got 99 Problems But A [CHAT] Ain't One

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hurm.... lot's of Republican voters at comic-con.
    Lot of that sounded like "We've been led by an idiot for the past 8 years, so y'know were going to vote republican again and hope everything works out okay."

Do Democrats really smell that bad?

Mustang on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    I haven't understood a single thing ND has said all of today and I don't understand why Mars has a hetero-boner for Jake "Bindle" Gyllenhaal and I don't know what in my bedroom is making me wake up with the sensation that someone managed to stuff an entire batch of Jell-O into my sinus cavity and I don't really care about Google Chrome and its associated comic trying to get me to care about Google Chrome and I hate pre-orders and limited editions but dammit I'm going to want that damned PoP art book.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bacon, god dammit, get off your ass and go get your head back.

Also, that Joker was awesome. Really awesome- I could see him in a Batman movie.

Also, Powergirl chick. You know which one.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The one with the big cans?
    Weeee I have a rockin cold and I think I'm starting to see some shit.

Mustang on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Apparently a lot of students at Max the Mutt have beef with Sheridan.

A lot

Two of them are graduates there, decided to take another go at MTM, and would not stop talking about how terrible their expereinces were. The rest of the former students just transferred over.

I did not know there was such hostility against that school!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

A lot

Two of them are graduates there, decided to take another go at MTM, and would not stop talking about how terrible their expereinces were. The rest of the former students just transferred over.

My understanding is that the animation program went from "great" to "crap" when they decided to make it a 4 year degree instead of a 3-year certificate program, meaning they had to fire their good teachers in favor of shitty but "accredited" teachers with master's degrees in largely irrelevant fields.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

A lot

My understanding is that the animation program went from "great" to "crap" when they decided to make it a 4 year degree instead of a 3-year certificate program, meaning they had to fire their good teachers in favor of shitty but "accredited" teachers with master's degrees in largely irrelevant fields.

That exemplifies a level of retardedness I cannot fathom. This is very much one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.

I mean it is really really dumb.

Tam on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah but both of those graduates pursued the Illustration degree, which is what really confuses me.

I don't know the details, but one of the guys is currently in a court battle with the school!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    All accreditation is dumb in my opinion.
    "Hey, my names Geoff, I'm a dumb fuck who has difficulty with the most menial of tasks, but I have ACCREDITATION!"
    "Oh in that case, here's $100,000 a year, a company car, stock options and a slutty secretary who'll meet all of your sexual needs."
    "Awesome!"

"Hey, I'm really intellgent and pursued a course with less prestige but better educational facilities and teachers"
    "Oh Rly? Well, let's put you under Geoff here, who has ACCREDITATION! You can have $30,000 a year, a bus pass and an office next to the sub-level basement toilet. Geoff will take all the credit for your work scoring promotion after promotion, while you whittle away your life in the dungeon of self loathing. You may someday climb your way out of the primordeal ooze to take your place amoungst us in Management but the likelyhood is very slim and when I say slim, I mean that you don't have a fucking chance in hell son."

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I approve of this message.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    Bacon, god dammit, get off your ass and go get your head back.

Well, I was going to try to be clever about this but if you insist it's gotta be now:
    proxhead.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hair wraps, foo's.
    1133-1m-low.jpg

With embroidery thread:
    360729767_37fb28531e_o.jpg

Only mine looks better. And is like twice as long.

Also, tomorrow, I get my ear cartilage pierced!
    cartilageol.JPG

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    crazy hippy

Tam on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I certainly hope so. She looks straight out of a Hanna Montana episode.........not....not that I watch Hanna...Montana..........oh jeez.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hair wraps, foo's.

You act as though your individual hair strands require performance fleeces, and I am to be called the fool?

It is to laugh. HA HA! HO HO.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hair wraps, foo's.

You act as though your individual hair strands require performance fleeces, and I am to be called the fool?

Hey, man. We'll see who's laughing when your hair freezes and falls out okay

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mustang wrote: »

I certainly hope so. She looks straight out of a Hanna Montana episode.........not....not that I watch Hanna...Montana..........oh jeez.

God, I hate her so much.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hair wraps, foo's.

Hey, man. We'll see who's laughing when your hair freezes and falls out okay

Both of us, I suppose, considering you apparently find male pattern baldness a laugh riot, while I find the idea of a Dr.Seuss-styled Medusa pretty funny myself. Everyone wins!

EDIT: I am being a jerk again. Feel free to pay me no mind.

EDIT2:
    what I am trying to get at, in a rather poor fashion, is I feel cute girls -such as yourself- in general aren't improved by the addition of - and I am trying to be generous in my wording here- "kooky bullshit".

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    God, I hate her so much.

Well Hanna loves you ND, she loves all ya'll, especially if you buy her cd's, dvd's, hair products, t-shirts, books, concert tickets, toothbrush, flip-flops, hanna montana branded frosty flakes, pencil case with matching pencil set, sticker book, colouring book, official biography, unofficial biography, teen pregnancy kit, perfume, digital watch, folder set, pop-up book, underwear, range of fleeces, hoody, knit top, sneakers, golf clubs...................

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    what's a henna mebraska anyway.

I feel like I miss out of so much by not watching TV, but every time anyone brings up anything made popular by TV, I feel glad I missed out on it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    A tween sensation Bacon......like a modern day version of the olsen twins, except in concentrated singular form. Her insipidness is only matched by her powers of seperating monies from parents of the aforementioned tweens.

I don't know how I know this shit, but I'm not particularly proud of having procured such knowledge.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ugh.

Why do kids shows have kid protagonists anyway? When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was grow up and be an adult, so I could do all the swearing and gun-shooting and jet-piloting and big-money-making and fast car driving shit that kids aren't allowed to do, so why would I want to watch a show about some stupid kids that can't do any of that shit either? Gimme the show with people doin' cool shit dammit.

The only exception being Johnny Quest, but only because that was made back in the 60's where kids were regularly carted off to the goddamned Amazon and shot crocodiles in the head and fought the Communist menace, but even in that show it was still the adult characters who got all the cool toys and lasers and actually did anything useful.

EDIT: writing this post made me realize how disappointing my life as an adult has been. I need to start saving up to buy an Akira-styled motorcycle.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah. I was the kind of kid who enjoyed sitting around and listening to his parents talk to their friends because it was interesting even if I didn't fully understand everything. I couldn't stand childrens television.

Except for:

Pressgangtitle.jpg

That show was the tits.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I just watched Star Wars and Indiana Jones over and over and over again.

and King Solomon's Mines thrown in every now and again.

Mustang on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just watched a funny The Onion video on Miley Sirus (wtfspellinglol?). Pop culture aimed at the younglin's, if anything, has gotten much worse since Britney and the Backstreet Boys. At least they had some appeal to the older generations.

In other news, I just woke up from a rather horrible dream at 3AM. I have this one consistent element a lot where I try to call certain people (it used to be home) and my phone or cell phone doesn't work when I try to call, and I really want to leave where ever I am and can't. Tonight it was my aunt who lives here in NY who I was calling. It's actually kind of absurd how my dreams adapt this to make this still happen...

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey gang, justs dropping by to remind you all that I still hate everyone. Cheers!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    God loves his children, Mars. God loves his chil-hil-dren.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Holy shit! This guy is fucking insane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWLbu1wIIEo

Grifter on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    you guys leave hanna montana alone!

you get the limo out front
    hottest styles, every shoe every color,
    yeah when you're famous it can be kinda fun
    it's really you but no one ever discovers

in some ways you're just like all your friends
    but on stage you're a superstaaaaar

you get the beeeest of both worlds!
    hangin' out take it slow,
    then you rock out the show
    you get the beeeest of both worlds
    mix it all together and you know that it's the best of both worlds!

other words that i don't know....

beavotron on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Woohoo! Spore one day before the actual release date. :D

Man, where have the last two hours gone? D:

Flay on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah but both of those graduates pursued the Illustration degree, which is what really confuses me.

I don't know the details, but one of the guys is currently in a court battle with the school!

i've heard negative things about all schools. Keep in mind that 90% of students going into art school seem to expect that they are going to learn to be a good artist the way that one would learn chemistry. It's just going to happen for them, most realize and accept that it's hard work and dedication primarily on your own time, some do not though. So they blame the school cause heaven forbid they just don't have what it takes (what it takes in my opinion being simply dedication)

the part i liked about applying to Animation Mentor was that when I was like "I don't know if i can start in summer because i'm finalling a game" instead of being like "don't worry, give us your money first and we'll discuss it later" they were like "you should reconsider attending our school because it is very intensive and you need to put a huge focus on your work"

every other private institution including MtM and VFS, two highly recognized schools in the industry was more interested in getting money out of me i felt, so i didn't make it past the application process (if you will all recall the bad taste i have left in my mouth from my experience with the center here in halifax) also I was a little turned off by MtM because Maxine, the founder of the school posts too much in the concept art forums trying to recruit, to the point where i'm pretty sure she's been banned.
    but the teachers there are supposedly phenomenal, and that's really all art school is, a push from someone who's been around the industry while surrounded by peers who are equally driven (or... ideally equally driven, we all know most of them won't be) Obviously the higher ups in the company end up in it for the money, it's the same with all private institutions and is unavoidable. i find it really tactless to be so obvious about it though. So to verify, godfather, my beef was not with the quality of education, but with the mentality of those who run the school.

anyways, i start animation mentor on the 29th, i'll keep you all updated on how it goes.
    i'm not interested in the modeling part of it all, i want to work for valve or pixar. pixar doesn't look for modellers at all anymore (or very rarely), and valve is also more interested in animators according to my contact.

beavotron on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It looks like Beavotron is gonna be alllll right.

Hanna Montana (not even her real name) is going to be the youngest billionaire once she becomes 18 and gets control of her money.

PROX on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    God, I hate her so much.

Well Hanna loves you ND, she loves all ya'll, especially if you buy her cd's, dvd's, ....... underwear,

EBAY ftw.

Wait a second.....

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    beavotron wrote: »

you get the limo out front
    hottest styles, every shoe every color,
    yeah when you're famous it can be kinda fun
    it's really you but no one ever discovers

in some ways you're just like all your friends
    but on stage you're a superstaaaaar

you get the beeeest of both worlds!
    hangin' out take it slow,
    then you rock out the show
    you get the beeeest of both worlds
    mix it all together and you know that it's the best of both worlds!

other words that i don't know....

........yeah, I still hate her

maybe even moreso, now

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If nothing else, the web application shortcut thing in Chrome is very handy.

MKR on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey guys I have a confession to make:
    I wasn't a good Art Center student.
    I mean really the level of work my peers were producing and their dedication to the craft was miles above mine.

While going their I did not feel the pressure to succeed from myself and made a lot of stupid decisions. Now everyone makes mistakes, but if you do make them don't make them at a $45,000 a year college.

I just finished a 3 month internship at Disney Interactive and am now still Job Hunting with my $160,000 degree, while Beavotron has a stable art related Job with Electronic Arts.

So the fancy degree and education doesn't make the artist automatically better or secure their future. This field is unique because the work that you can do is worth far more then accreditation.

If you have ever listened to the Animation Podcast, you'll notice that most of those artists went out of their way at an early age to find out about Animation and took the initiative to send letters out.

So $160,000 degree =/= instant success.

A good art school is a giant complicated machine that has the capability to make your dreams come true, if you know how to use it. Otherwise you'll just come out the other side just a little bent out of shape.

There were many things I know now that I should have done while I was at Art Center. And I regret wasting a lot of my time there.

Man I like to start a new paragraph with every sentence.

Because I hate reading big blocks of text.

PROX on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TL;DR: College is like Linux

Hard to get into, easy to use once you get in, but can do mind-boggling things if you really work at it.

MKR on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    Keep in mind that 90% of students going into art school seem to expect that they are going to learn to be a good artist the way that one would learn chemistry. It's just going to happen for them, most realize and accept that it's hard work and dedication primarily on your own time, some do not though. So they blame the school cause heaven forbid they just don't have what it takes (what it takes in my opinion being simply dedication)

Every time I took a language class, the same thing would happen. Like, kids expect to learn what ever language just by showing up to class and handing in assignments. Sorry, it takes hard, boring work outside of the class room.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    TL;DR: College is like Linux

Hard to get into, easy to use once you get in, but can do mind-boggling things if you really work at it.

No not really.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, to me college was easy to get into, hard once I was in it.

MagicToaster on
This discussion has been closed.