As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of The Week 08-27-08

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm thinking that the deal with mephisto caused whatever incident blocks out their memory.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    So are Normie and the Symbiote freaking the fuck out about the huge blank spots in their memories regarding their archenemy/former host-body? And if not, why?

Presumably - and this is just a guess - the same re-writing of their brains that took the memory also keeps them from worrying about it.

I imagine it's like being on xanax or another anti-anxiety drug: you're aware of the problem, but you find that you don't really care.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So are Normie and the Symbiote freaking the fuck out about the huge blank spots in their memories regarding their archenemy/former host-body? And if not, why?

Presumably - and this is just a guess - the same re-writing of their brains that took the memory also keeps them from worrying about it.

I imagine it's like being on xanax or another anti-anxiety drug: you're aware of the problem, but you find that you don't really care.

Which raises the question of why Mephisto doesn't win more often.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Apathy I think. Unless he's poured himself into a year's worth of scheming documented by a mini-series and a few cross-overs, he just doesn't get that excited about a potential plan.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Deus ex machina. Remember, Mephisto is as powerful as any single entity on Earth, simply by virtue of his status as a deity (remember, he's a true Earth deity). It's just like asking why, say, Magneto doesn't kill everyone by hurling a thousand tiny needles through them, or why Xavier doesn't just warp the brains of world leaders to make the world a better place. The stories only work when there is doubt about the ability of characters to succeed, and that means the extremely powerful characters need to be constantly hamstrung.

Also, you know, it's magic.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Gotcha.

So I think someone deserves a prize for coming up with the new worst-word-ever with "ultramenstruum". Every time I've seen it my mind has immediately read "ultra semen"

I was thinking ultra-menstruation... weird that we went in such opposite but sort-of parallel directions.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

Probably not the symbiote as much
    Remember its whole thing was that its hatred of Spidey + Brock's hatred of Spidey = holy shit
    And it still hates him
    Just doesn't remember who's under the mask
    And we're going to see how Norman deals with it soon, I think

Me Too! on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »

Remember its whole thing was that its hatred of Spidey + Brock's hatred of Spidey = holy shit
    And it still hates him

Wasn't the deal that Brock hated Parker, and the symbiote hated spider-man, so there was the double hate? But anyway Venom isn't Eddie Brock right now, right?

I mean, if the symbiote doesn't remember who spider-man is, but does remember being attached to him you know what fuck it.

Langly on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

And it still hates him
    Yeah but the symbiote freaked out when it was near Brock. Why the fuck didn't it freak out when Pete was nearby?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Langly wrote: »

And it still hates him

Wasn't the deal that Brock hated Parker, and the symbiote hated spider-man, so there was the double hate? But anyway Venom isn't Eddie Brock right now, right?

I mean, if the symbiote doesn't remember who spider-man is, but does remember being attached to him you know what fuck it.

Brock and the symbiote both hated Spider-man, the symbiote because he rejected it and Brock because spider-man caught the real Sin-eater. So it kind of works without either of them knowing that Spider-man = Peter Parker, only not really.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    and Brock because spider-man caught the real Sin-eater.

What.

I thought Brock hates him because he stole his job. I've never really closely followed Spider-man (maybe that's a good thing), but I thought I knew why Eddie hated him. They made up a new reason?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No, that was the original reason. There was a complicated backstory involving a serial killer called the Sin-eater - basically Eddie Brock published interviews with someone claiming to be the killer who wasn't, and then spider-man ruined the story and humiliated Eddie by catching the real one, resulting in him being fired (Eddie, not spider-man). I don't know, maybe they retconned it or some other bs since.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I thought that he hated him because Peter was better at his job than Eddie was. Eddie was an awesome reporter, but Peter scooped him a few times or something?
    From the Eddie Brock Wiki

After being diagnosed with terminal cancer, Brock decides to take his mind off it by burying himself in his work. He investigates the serial killer nicknamed Sin-Eater, and surprisingly finds someone actually confessing to the murders. Once the case is finally closed, it is revealed that the real killer was already caught by Spider-Man, and that Brock had been interviewing a compulsive confessor. Brock is fired from his job in disgrace, and his father practically disowns him. With no decent publishers willing to hire him, he is forced to work for sleazy tabloid magazines. Now with his fear of the cancer growing, Brock resumes his passion for athletics through weight training to reduce stress. Though his body grows to near-Olympic standards, his anger and depression remain, causing Anne to divorce him. With both his professional and personal life shattered, Brock contemplates suicide and goes to a church where he prays to God for forgiveness, unaware the symbiote Spider-Man has discarded is waiting for him.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I thought that he hated him because Peter was better at his job than Eddie was. Eddie was an awesome reporter, but Peter scooped him a few times or something?
    From the Eddie Brock Wiki

After being diagnosed with terminal cancer, Brock decides to take his mind off it by burying himself in his work. He investigates the serial killer nicknamed Sin-Eater, and surprisingly finds someone actually confessing to the murders. Once the case is finally closed, it is revealed that the real killer was already caught by Spider-Man, and that Brock had been interviewing a compulsive confessor. Brock is fired from his job in disgrace, and his father practically disowns him. With no decent publishers willing to hire him, he is forced to work for sleazy tabloid magazines. Now with his fear of the cancer growing, Brock resumes his passion for athletics through weight training to reduce stress. Though his body grows to near-Olympic standards, his anger and depression remain, causing Anne to divorce him. With both his professional and personal life shattered, Brock contemplates suicide and goes to a church where he prays to God for forgiveness, unaware the symbiote Spider-Man has discarded is waiting for him.

Well, that's the end-result of at least three or four significant retcons, of course (e.g. the cancer...). However, the point is that Brock has reasons (legitimate, in his mind) for hating Spider-Man (catching the real Sin-Eater) and Parker (for showing him up, regularly).

mattharvest on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In this latest retcon, does he know who spidey is before he gets the symbiote? Or does he suddenly just know?

I mean, it's possible Venom doesn't quite have a memory like we do, and that the knowledge that Parker is Spider-Man was all from Brock.

My other thought is that maybe Venom doesn't WANT Gargan to know for some reason.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Eddie Brock never knew who Spider-Man was before he got the symbiote

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Did he learn after, or did he just know who Spider-Man was once he had the symbiote?

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    he learned it from the symbiote

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Did he learn after, or did he just know who Spider-Man was once he had the symbiote?

He knew once he had it through their psychic bond. Its how he set about fucking with Peter's life.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I miss Lethal Protector Venom, the guy who'd team-up with Spider-Man in videogames.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Lethal Protector Venom was a key component in the worst Spider-Man story ever

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Every time I look at Venom today, I think, "Too much tail and not enough arms and heads."
    60325-venom_400.jpg

God bless the '90s.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Shouldnt he be saying "We are Venom"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

He knew once he had it through their psychic bond. Its how he set about fucking with Peter's life.

Well that fucks up my theory then.

New theory. Venom/Gargan has been huffing paint.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It sounds like they basically don't remember but for one reason or another related to the change, they don't question it. If someone pressed them on it they might realise but since noone will since noone remembers or realises they don't remember, they probably won't.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It sounds like they basically don't remember but for one reason or another related to the change, they don't question it. If someone pressed them on it they might realise but since noone will since noone remembers or realises they don't remember, they probably won't.

Like I said: apparently, Mephisto is a xanax dispenser.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    NONONO It's MAGIC! Not drugs.

I mean, drugs would be LAME.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Geebs can we start infracting for that

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My moment of the week is the two page spread in 2000Ad of the ABC Warriors fucking up various shit.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Shouldnt he be saying "We are Venom"

I don't get why he says, "We." I mean, considering the degree to which they merge, should the symbiote and host count as one entity?

Otherwise it's, "Hi, I'm Eddie Brock and this is my friend, whom I'm wearing over my naked body."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They merge but not completley, Eddie and the symbiote are both 2 parts that make up the entity of Venom.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Am I right in saying that Cletus Kasady and Carnage, on the other hand, merge so completely that he uses 'I'?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    from the way its been characterized in the past I think the carnage symbiote is a lot more animalistic and mindless than the venom one.

but Carnage is dead so really who cares, lets just forget about him and hope no one is stupid enough to bring him back.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Toxin is the best
    Dude straight up talked to his symbiote

Me Too! on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i didn't make it to the store last week
    boo boo a bloo

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Let's not go over this again but Carnage can be cool when done right. nothing wrong with a big, red, mass murderer who can transform his limbs.

That said, Cletus fully accepts the symbiote to the point where it replaces his blood if I remember correctly, or it lived inside him anyway, so he uses 'I'. Eddie accepts it but also resists against its baser rage and maintains a separate identity, so he uses 'We'. And the symbiote is only evil apparently because of the people it bonded with. In a What If, it bonded with a kid first or something, or someone very, very good and realised that its desire to get revenge on Peter wasn't worth what it was doing.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The word "Carnage" should be censored from everywhere.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The word "Carnage" should be censored from everywhere.

This is tragically wrong. Carnage makes -so- much more sense than Venom.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The main problem with Carnage is he's similar to the Joker but Spider-Man isn't similar to Batman. He isn't a bastion of order, at least thats now how I interpret him. A vigilante, sarcastic kid against an agent of chaos, it isn't very compelling, and while hes out there trying to do good, I never got the impression that Peter was as invested in every life in NYC as Batman is in the lives of Gotham's citizens.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've gone at length before more than once as to why Carnage does not work as a Spider-Man villain.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]