As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prune Hands!

xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My hands get prune-y when they get wet.

I know you're thinking that's what happens to everyone, but it seems to happen to me super bad. Like, if my hands are exposed to any moisture for a time of 5 or more minutes (shower, sweat, swimming, holding your hand in the icewater contests), they get so wrinkled and prune-like that it sometimes causes pain.

Add to this the constant peeling of skin afterwards (especially where my fingers meet to make a V and my palms) I feel the need to make a H/A thread. The worst part of it all is I absolutely love long hot showers in the morning.

Is there any over-the-counter fix to this? Lotions, creams, magic? Help me fellow posters!

shark2.jpg
XBL - Follow Freeman
xWonderboyx on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Your showers are too hot. Use Dove, which has a moisturizer built in, and that should help w/ the sensitivity.

My non-doctoral analysis is that your skin is too dry, and your showers are way too hot. Take shorter showers and use moisturizing soap. I'm generally against the idea of lotions, as they're often messy and tend to make your skin conditioned to them, but that could also be a solution for your hands -- use it about an hour before the shower, or first thing in the morning if you're not up an hour before your showers.

Generally, your problem is akin to the classic "it hurts when I do this" complaint. of course, the modern interpretation is "Doctor, I can't seem to lose weight, but I can't give up chocolate, cheese, meat, or breads, and I don't like veggies. What can I do!"

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noooooooooo! I will try this.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Uh, I think this is a larger problem than wonderboy's showers being too hot. If it happens due to any contact with water and if there is pain and peeling afterwards, I'd say you've got some kind of condition. What that condition might be, I have no idea, but pain and constant peeling after showering, swimming or sweating is not normal. If it was a case of 'My skin gets a bit dry after showering', I'd recommend Dove/ a ph-Neutral shower gel and a moisturiser for the afflicted area, but this is pain and constant peeling.

It may be a fungal infection of some sort (peeling in V and palms) or it might be some sort of eczema type thing (I knew a kid who has pretty bad eczema and pretty much any exposure to water sets of painful peeling rashes).

I'd say, whatever this is, it definitely merits a visit to your GP.

Szechuanosaurus on