As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Loot, and the crawling thereof...

2»

• TigTig Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When looting or levelling is the only incentive to continue, I feel like I'm just hand cranking a 'for' loop.

I saw how addictive it can become with Diablo II. Now that Pavlovian reward stuff just creeps me out.
    I'll avoid any game which drip-feeds rewards in exchange for time investment... A game has to at least challenge my fingers or stimulate my mind to justify the time I spend on it.

Tig on
  • TheGueroTheGuero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any thoughts on why so many RPG's miss the boat on loot and instead focus on story or action (both important in their own right)?

You sir, make me sick. Go die.

TheGuero on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TheGuero wrote: »
    Any thoughts on why so many RPG's miss the boat on loot and instead focus on story or action (both important in their own right)?

I can live with that I guess

Venkman90 on
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Don't worry some of us don't hate you and also feel that loot is super important.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oblivion is a terrible example of loot. The level scaling of the items really ruins any excitement from gear finding. Going into a dungeon knowing you will only find iron items (or if you are a higher level, ivory) is pretty boring.

wakkawa on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    NATIK wrote: »
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Don't worry some of us don't hate you and also feel that loot is super important.

I wasn't, there are plenty who don't (well I know of a few) and it IS

No denying Diablo2 was a seminal, popular game correct? You think people kept going back for the story? the action was addictive in its own way but it was the loot that drove it.

I am not a fan of story driven RPG's as much as I used to be back when I played BG2 but the fans of series such as Final Fantasy are as rabid as they come, such is life, we all have our crosses to bear.
    oblivion is a terrible example of loot. The level scaling of the items really ruins any excitement from gear finding. Going into a dungeon knowing you will only find iron items (or if you are a higher level, ivory) is pretty boring.
    Correct, Morrowind however is great, I spent AGES trying to steal glass armour early on from ghostgate, finding an ebon helm randomly and the first time I robbed the Vivec vaults....incredible fun for the pack rats among us.

Venkman90 on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wakkawa wrote: »

Was awful. I mean, I loved Oblivion, and will defend it to the death for numerous reasons, but I just hated that aspect of the game. It wasnt so much because it robbed me of my natural human loot-lust, it just completely ruined the whole "living, breathing world" feeling. I know the world isnt real when bandits have Deadric armour for no reason other than I do. It felt like the whole world was watching you, knew you were coming, each cave full of baddies reading a script to prepare for your arrival, like the whole thing was a set.

I had the 360 version and just turned down the difficulty as I leveled, and although it still meant loot was ruined, it at least gave me some sense of progression and attainment of power for my time invested. Arrow to the head = instant kill. Take that you daedric armour wearing douche.

Prohass on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Personally, I feel it should be a crime to make an RPG without either:

A - Random loot that is actually useful (like Diablo 2)
    B - A massive amount of unique items along side a large mundane loot selection (more like Oblivion edit: with mods)

I don't want to crawl through your dungeon, or save your fucking princess, or stop the demon from ending existence, or even get out of bed if I can't find something other than a +3 longsword, or the same piece of magical armor I've already found 2000 times, along the way.

Edit 2: Also, in multiplayer games or MMO's, if at a certain level I have to have the same piece of gear as every other character my class, you fail. This is pretty much my problem with all MMO's.

Disclaimer: Sentence structure and spelling may be poor. Medications are good.

Aiserou on