As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroscape- ninjas and doughboys and dragons?

Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Critical Failures
heroscape.jpg

So, Heroscape. It's a game made by the HeroQuest team, with very similar gameplay to HeroQuest and Warhammer Quest. Notable features are the wide range of (decently pre-painted) units (ranging from ancient Rome, to fantasy, to sci fi, to World War II and beyond.) the customizable terrain (two-inch hex shaped tiles that are stackable, in different terrain types, to create a 3d map), and the Risk-like combat. (Attacker and defender gain dice depending on circumstances, loser removes wounds according to the number of dice they lost by.)

The starter kit retailed originally for 39.99, though it's on sale often and may be found for 19.99. It comes with everything shown above (cards, dice, 30 figures, lots of tiles.) Expansions come with packs of (non-randomized) themed units and new terrain tiles and objects. A castle set is also available, adding structures to your map. The game is optimized for 2-4 players, but can be expanded for 6-8.

heroscape-drache.jpg

Here's the castle set. (I think this one is a promo from an expo, of several of the sets combined.)
tf06-heroscape01.jpg

Now, to my knowledge, the game has a cult fanbase but has more or less failed on the market. It was advertised to children as a toy, but I think it's actually a fairly complex (not like Warhammer, but still has its depth) strategy game.

Has anyone played this? Is the game still kicking, with new sets being released? Is it worth putting money into?

Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
Anonymous Robot on

• Options
    Asmodai_00Asmodai_00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ive played this a little, but its hard to break into the local gaming shop with 40k overrunning it.

Its a good system. I call it "40k lite." AFAIK, its still being expanded on, and is well worth the money.

Asmodai_00 on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2006
    I guess they're coming out with a Marvel superheroes expansion set

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My cousin loves it, and plays it with his little 10 year old all the time as kind of an intro war game that's quick to set up.

I own the starter, but have been turned off by the cost of the boosters -- $10 for these little figs seems so excessive. I might get the terrain boosters sometime, though. I heard the bridge on is excellent, for instance.

Oh, and protip: TRU has an exclusive lava-based tileset.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    My cousin loves it, and plays it with his little 10 year old all the time as kind of an intro war game that's quick to set up.

I own the starter, but have been turned off by the cost of the boosters -- $10 for these little figs seems so excessive. I might get the terrain boosters sometime, though. I heard the bridge on is excellent, for instance.

This is the kind of thing I hear often, that's a little bit worrisome.

Fun and fast is different from for kids, to me. If it's too simple, I'll just be bored.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Athenor wrote:

This is the kind of thing I hear often, that's a little bit worrisome.

Fun and fast is different from for kids, to me. If it's too simple, I'll just be bored.

Weellll...

Then you should know all the cards have 2 versions: A quick and dirty version and a detailed version.

The detailed version includes shit like Line of Sight, including places where you can't draw LoS and get a hit. Health counters, shit like that..

Keep in mind that this is done by Hasbro, who owns Wizards of the Coast. I know this is the HeroQuest folks, but I'm sure WotC had some input.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TyracoraTyracora Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Heroscape ftw.

I've played Heroscape and I've found it amazingly fun. The only downside I've found is the set-up and take-down, but even that's pretty cool. Set up the terrain how you please, set up rules for the physics of the water. Now I want to play the game again.

Tyracora on
    Eat your cookies! Don't make me use this gun that I have!
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yes, very cool figures and tiles. But, the setup is indeed a bit too much. My friend bought it, and we all looked it over and thought it was cool.

It got played once. Because it was faster and easier to just throw down a HeroClix map and play that instead.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Yes, very cool figures and tiles. But, the setup is indeed a bit too much. My friend bought it, and we all looked it over and thought it was cool.

It got played once. Because it was faster and easier to just throw down a HeroClix map and play that instead.

Though the setup is long and nasty, it makes good D&D terrain.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    MechMantis wrote:
    Though the setup is long and nasty, it makes good D&D terrain.

Y'know, that's actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the tileset. I'm considering buying it just for that.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hell, I -DID- buy it just for the terrain, specifically Battletech.

I should go and buy another starter, though, as it needs a ton of tiles to do a lot of hilly terrain. =P

Athenor on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Asmodai_00 wrote:
    Ive played this a little, but its hard to break into the local gaming shop with 40k overrunning it.

Its a good system. I call it "40k lite." AFAIK, its still being expanded on, and is well worth the money.

40k lite? I already consider the current 40k rule-set to be a rather lite style ruleset. This game is definately not for me then.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    We bought (by we, I mean other people in my gaming group) bought it to play Battletech on. But then noone wanted to actually make mechwarrior characters, so that fizzled.

piL on
  • Options
    SnazelSnazel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hasbro did a great job. How weird the big "mother ship" outdid the sleeker, smaller child of WOTC.

While WOTC pumped out "Rocketville" and "Dreamscape", Hasbro delivered this, a nifty, fun product that has both fanboy and mass market success.

Oh well, at least WOTC has the uber-successful "HECATOMB". There's nothing like collecting thin, flimsy hexagonal pieces of plastic with "I wish I was BROM" artwork on them.

Snazel on
    Snazel.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Holy cow.

Last night, at like 1 AM, I finally set up my first pre-made Heroscape board, using the Forgotten forest map that comes with the bridge.

This sucker.. when it's fully laid out.. is HUGE! I mean.. for just being the starter and one expansion.. man. =/

I might have to invest more in this.

However, are there any better ways to store this than the box it comes in? I can't seem to pack it up that easily, and of course the figs...

Athenor on
  • Options
    SerphimeraSerphimera Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do. Not. Play. This. Game.

Serphimera on
    And then I voted.
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's a Battletech/Mechwarrior boardgame? Where?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Serphimera wrote:
    Do. Not. Play. This. Game.

Reasons would help to clarify your point.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I've gone off the deep end.

I bought the castle set. This thing, while not as massive as the base set, has a ton of Girth to it.. and seems to be the most bang for your buck, dollars-wise, out of what i've seen so far.

Then again, I've spent the last few days fruitlessly searching for the glacier or lava packs, to no avail. And I'm not paying $20 for 5 dual-base figures, no matter how big they are.

... It kind of bums me, also, that all the expansion character sets only come with 2x tiles. Also, series 5 is all winter/ice tiles. =( I luckily found some older ones (not sure how old) that have werewolves and minutemen, of all combinations.. so that should be interesting.

Athenor on