As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

40k Action game: "Space Marine"

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well it could be that since humans think the Orks weapons are more likely to blow up not work, their psychic thingamajigger fields cause them to not work and/or blow up.

Did you think of that scientist?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What chapter what the marine from the video from?

I'm thinking ultramarine but i'm not too sure.

Karl on
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    D:

I want the video.

artoo on
  • dienekes96dienekes96 Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    dienekes96 on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Want.

maraxus94 on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That looked pretty terrible. Guns purely as a tool to get closer for QTE melee events? The fuck?

I seem to recall Space Marines getting 90% of their work done by shooting things to pieces, yes, even the Space Wolves and Blood Angels. :|

Edit: Seconding the comment that he seemed too floaty. Movement felt all kinds of off. It also kind of killed my ability to take things seriously that he's just standing there in the middle of a bunch of people, being shot at, just kinda running in circles. Why can't someone just remake Gears of War but with Space Marines? Argghhh

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited September 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Edit: Seconding the comment that he seemed too floaty. Movement felt all kinds of off. It also kind of killed my ability to take things seriously that he's just standing there in the middle of a bunch of people, being shot at, just kinda running in circles. Why can't someone just remake Gears of War but with Space Marines? Argghhh

Alright...well...he was demoing a probably pre-alpha build. I mean, I don't know, I feel like it is waaaay, waaaaaaaay too early to be commenting on stuff like that. I mean, the grenade "explosion" was just a yellow ball that expanded. If you have gripes about the overall melee-centric combat however, then that is perfectly reasonable.

maraxus94 on
  • War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for posting the vid mate. Interesting stuff, great to see some positive steps in a 40k game.

I just hoped that I would see you issuing orders to other Space Marines in your squad a la Full Spectrum Warrior or Brothers in Arms.

At least the finishing moves look visceral, but the actual gameplay itself seems hollow without other squadmates around you or Terminators/Dreadnoughts/Predators moving along side you. Having squad mates means that you would have to use them to pin your enemies with suppressing fire allowing you to get in close to finish them with your chainsword. Otherwise its just a glorified 3rd person fighting game with zero depth to its gameplay.

I would like to see a squad based 40k game where you are a commissar attached to a squad of IG. I understand though if not everyone would like to play such a massive cunt but who hasn't been fighting with squadmates in a game where they were so retarded you wanted to execute them? Well, now you can and it would have benefits in the game as well.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The simple way of making a Warhammer40k game would be

1. Take gears of war
    2. Put spaces marines in
    3. ????
    4. Profit!

but if they could take the basic gameplay from gears of war, then put it the WH40k universe, and REALLY drive in the Space Marine battle mentality. Have some kind of meter for morale and something like battle fury or something equally awesome.

hell if they did right they could make it a first-person shooter, but then you wouldn't be able to witness awesome chainsword battles from 3rd person

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • The SnertThe Snert Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awww, I got so excited when I saw this, but I'm echoing th sentiments towards the gunplay. Bolters seem weak as hell. Uhmm, its a rocket propelled round that EXPLODES YOU FROM THE INSIDE. I mean, I can dig the brutal melee, but that shouldn't be the only way to dispatch your enemies, especially since bolters are like.. the ultimate gun. Seriously. I kinda feel like this game would currently make more sense if you were a dreadnaught.

The Snert on
  • BoffenBoffen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want a mechwarrior style game with titans

Boffen on
    What do I put here?
    edited September 2008
    maraxus94 wrote: »

Alright...well...he was demoing a probably pre-alpha build. I mean, I don't know, I feel like it is waaaay, waaaaaaaay too early to be commenting on stuff like that. I mean, the grenade "explosion" was just a yellow ball that expanded. If you have gripes about the overall melee-centric combat however, then that is perfectly reasonable.

If it's placed in a public forum, it's open for criticism in every regard.

Honestly I think they'd have been better off waiting a little longer and using less bullshit buzzwords, I'm not sure how they take themselves seriously.

Fiaryn on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Honestly I think they'd have been better off waiting a little longer and using less bullshit buzzwords, I'm not sure how they take themselves seriously.

"Every day we get together for five minutes in a SCRUM. It really EMPOWERS us for the day ahead, and we no longer see challenges, only OPPORTUNITIES."

subedii on
    edited September 2008

Ya, it is definitely open, is it fair? Not really.

But I absolutely agree with you there. I mean, it obviously wasn't a product ready to be shown to customers, it is almost like the publisher forced them to do some promo video.

maraxus94 on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    well it got me excited

I had one complaint and that was the bolter

everything else? Yeah, pretty much greatness.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    well it got me excited

I had one complaint and that was the bolter

everything else? Yeah, pretty much greatness.

Pretty much this. I want a bolter that, while hurting the chaos marines significantly, completely obliterates the standard humans.

Like it is in every picture or work of fiction I can recall (and I've been around since the 2nd edition rules first came out).

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    At least the title is better than "Massive Action Game".

or "GUN"

or god a dozen other shitty titles

Captain K on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Complaining about melee being prominent in a game based around Warhammer 40k? What?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I would have prefered to play as an Ork though

and get to pick up "upgrades" to armor and weapons along the way

How many types of guns do Space marines wield anyway?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008

Melta-Guns, Bolt Pistols, Bolters, Heavy Bolters, Missile Launchers, Flamers, Plasma Guns, Sniper Rifles, Assault Cannons, and if you're a Grey Knight, Psycannons. I probably missed a few.

Once again, Space Marines get most of their work done with guns. And grenades.

Fiaryn on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Let me see...
    Bolt Pistol
    Bolter
    Storm Bolter
    Plasma Pistol
    Plasmagun
    Meltagun
    Flamer
    Heavy Bolter
    Missile Launcher
    Multi-Melta
    Plasma Cannon

I'm probably forgetting some other stuff.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can't forget Lascannons.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
    edited September 2008
    I guess what I'm asking is;

do they get anything as awesome as this;

big_mek_shokk_lg.jpg?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Space Marines get all those gun options, but there's also a half-dozen or so melee options too, right? If you count everything the heavy units and HQ units get to use.

Captain K on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To my understanding the Grey Knights fight almost exclusively hand 2 hand. I think they have hand mounted guns, and they have telepathic powers of demon rape.

Of course the Grey Knights are super Space Marines (like they need to get any more powerful), but they are 2 tons of badassery.

Grey_Knight_by_CursedChaos.jpg

Casually Hardcore on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Space Marines get all those gun options, but there's also a half-dozen or so melee options too, right? If you count everything the heavy units and HQ units get to use.
    They're apparently getting a bunch more come the new book.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • avatoz84avatoz84 Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    How do you guys reckon the bolter should be?

I think i recall reading in the 4th ed rule book or somewhere that it's a 4 shot burst weapon.

And yeah its supposed to fire mini missiles or something right?

avatoz84 on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the gun must fire missiles, that shoot smaller space marines that shoot missiles that shoot an even smaller space marine that punches enemies and they explode.

you know, for the emperor

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    avatoz84 wrote: »
    How do you guys reckon the bolter should be?

I think i recall reading in the 4th ed rule book or somewhere that it's a 4 shot burst weapon.

And yeah its supposed to fire mini missiles or something right?

That mother fucker fires .75 caliber bolts which are basically a two-stage RPG: an initial burst fires the round out of the bolter and once clear, a miniature rocket ignites, propelling the round towards its destination. Once there, a typical bolter will detonate it's depleted uranium (because deuterium is retarded) core only after penetrating its target to a pre-set depth, i.e., it will explode after a quarter inch of penetration, 1/8th inch, or what have you. The result is obviously a very messy, shit-your-pants affair for the enemy combatants, who will quickly decided to run, or be so scared (from having their buddy literally explode all over them) that they will be combat ineffective.

Other kinds of bolts carry incendiary ammo, special armor-penetrating rounds, poison-gas, etc.

SJ on
  • avatoz84avatoz84 Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Sounds pretty sweet!

Don't really see the need for all the other weapons if the bolter is so deadly

avatoz84 on
    edited September 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

a bolter rifle reminds me of this at 4.40 into the video. Rocket propelled crazyness

but like, twice as much firepower

It is pretty crazy

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Noooooo! I missed it again.

artoo on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To my understanding the Grey Knights fight almost exclusively hand 2 hand. I think they have hand mounted guns, and they have telepathic powers of demon rape.

Of course the Grey Knights are super Space Marines (like they need to get any more powerful), but they are 2 tons of badassery.

Grey_Knight_by_CursedChaos.jpg

Obviously, we need a game where we play as a member of the Adeptus Custodes.

Cinders on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    a bolter rifle reminds me of this at 4.40 into the video. Rocket propelled crazyness

It is pretty crazy

Torn between conflicting feelings of awesome and terror

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    grey knight terminators <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    gears of warhammer 40k

wait has this joke already been made

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

It is pretty crazy

I know right

soon we'll have Space marines walking our streets

termanator.jpg

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

It is pretty crazy

I know right

soon we'll have Space marines walking our streets

termanator.jpg
    If the game is any indication then they will be easily killed since super armored soldiers don't wear any kind of head protection at all.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited September 2008
    Their bodies are protected by power armor while their heads are protected by their zealous faith.

or something

Captain K on
    edited September 2008
    I thought most marines wore headgear

except for perhaps squad leaders

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg