As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mornington Crescent: All bow before visiblehowl and ChooChoo Bear!

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Mornington Crescent

morningtoncres.jpg

Yes, Mornington Crescent, the forum game with rules dating back to the Tudor regime. Over the next several days twenty forumers will vie for the chance to be the winner, winners, or possibly even intermediate success buddies depending on the rule set.

RULES:

You should all already know how the game works. In the off chance you don't, please check your local book store to see if they still have a player's manual (preferably color version) still in print for the details. Each day a variant of the fifth edition rules will be introduced and at the end of the day the appropriate scores tallied. The end will occur when I or one of the judges declares Mornington Crescent. Lowest score shall see a player eliminated as well as an adorable animal entombed in the fashion of the judge's liking. Players can also be eliminated through other means such as disqualification for getting caught cheating or being eaten by a puma. Players are allowed and encouraged to sponsor their own cute animals. Time looping is strictly forbidden.

The judges will post occasionally to critique performance, offer suggestions, and add in the occasional rule. I suggest not crossing them as they're all well versed in puppy crushing. The judges are as follows:

Head Judge/Co Host: Frosteey
Judge #2: Gim
Judge #3: Senjutsu

Feel free to manipulate the judges to your own ends. Due to a much busier schedule than when I signed up Frosteey will be cohosting should I not have the time because I am defending the free world or getting it on.

Signup posts in bold lime, clarifcations in bold orange, new rules will be posted in bold blue.

Spoiler for those with no sense of risk or humor who have to know exactly how to play:
Mornington Crescent isn't a real game per se. The rules are made up by the "players" and the only way to really win this is to impress the judges with clever posts or use of the variant rules given each day. There will be no clarification on this particular point. This game is about having fun making shit up, not scoring points or paranoia. Whiners wanting detailed structure will be maimed accordingly.

Roster:
1. Oboro and Shnukims
2. Feral and Miguel
3. Aegis and Hoot
4. James and Bird
5. deadonthestreet and Fluffy Orange Thing.
6. Elldren and Skippy
7. duallin and Fluffers
8. Malkor and Crab
9. Daedalus and Clippy
10. visiblehowl and ChooChooBear
11. Kilroy and Clippy
12. eeccccoo tthhee ddoollpphhiinn and Kitty D. Kat
13. Variable and Kotchka
14. Medopine and Osh Kosh
15. BobCesca and Farah
16. Cyvros and Dibblin
17. Gosling and VEU
18. Arasaki and Barley
19. cj iwakura and Nemo
20. MrMonroe and Douglas

Entombed animal example:
Bernie.pngIMG%5D

If you don't hate cute animals you won't screw up.

Clarifications:
Elldren wrote: »
Would those be accents other than your own, or any accent whatsoever? Or is the rule merely referring to grammatical accents?
Any accent other than your own.
James wrote: »
What is a "three quarter shank"?

Or is it three "quarter shanks"? If so, what are those?

Shanks are a type of meat pie pound in the lower Brooklyn area that are excellent hobo bait.

Day five variant:

Lightning Round

No holds bar

Animal required for all pictures

Playing dirty is highly encouraged

The stage is Paris. Snobbery, wine, and arbitrary judging shall reign

Day 1: Barley pays up
Day 2: Oboro resigns and a tie results in dead kitties.
Day 3: Unfortunate events and grues.
Day 4: Light treason and dead geckos.
Day 5: Debauchery and police brutality.
Day 6: The Indecent Behavior of Owls.
Day 7: Lots of eating.

Quid on

• Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    !sign up

I'm also going to invoke my status as a ranked player on the official circuit (http://morningtoncrescent.com/registry.php, look for 'Emily "Orthogonal" Watson,' there's a picture of me with my Bowler's Cup trophy you can match up to my Fashionstravaganza posts). As a ranked member of Crescent-Hoppers International, I reserve the right to hinge my participation on whether or not the Dictum of Three Lefts is in play.

Now, I'm sure you're well-aware of the game's rules, but maybe not of the floor rules, but in any event you can just consult the CHI organizer's manual to read up on the Dictum and whether it's appropriate for this particular showing of ye ol' Crescent. I trust you'll see the light of reason and be including it (is it part of fifth edition canon now? Apologies if it is, actually, I honestly don't know -- it's not my intent to be presumptuous), and in including it also allowing the participation of myself and any other registered CHI members.

EDIT: Oh, shit, right. That website is hosted purely on the Tube intranet, so ... short of anyone at the Tube Museum in London proper getting on one of the display computers, you won't be able to cross-reference that. I trust you trust me, though. I mean ... Emily "Orthogonal" Watson is pretty much a household name. :lol:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !sign up

I've used up most of my wit for the day. I need to let my wit reserves recharge for a few hours from the energy emitted by the particular wavelength of light that passes through a glass of frosty beer.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Breathalyzer tests may or may not be administered at non-random during the course of play.

That is all.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Time Loop Gim. TLG. 'The Motherfucker.' The one man who single-handedly spurred the entire fourth edition rules revamp.

It's awesome to play beside such a legend, slightly less-so when he's one of the officiators. :wink:

I see that your avatar is continuing your namesake, eh? :lol:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    At ease, Orthogonal. That was a long time ago.

But I do still enjoy closing down a pub or two. Not a keeper from Welcome Inn to Llandoger Trow that can eject me before I've run the place dry. Ha-HA!

Gim on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !sign up

Never heard of this game, but it sounds fun. Here's to hoping I don't fail horribly.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fresh fish, fresh fish, fresh fish!

Let's see how you hold up when the lights go off, and you're just another faceless sardine packed into that tube car hurtling through the underground. It seems simple enough to remember rules like, "traveling as the crow flies in weather not conducive to the flight of crows earns one demerit," but applying them under pressure, in the dark, while being catapulted forward at speeds of almost 110km/h in the company of other hoppers just as feverish and panicked as you?

Yeah, we'll see how you fare, freshie. :lol:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any competitor discovered knowingly aware of rules outside of the officially designated color manual in effect during the current play will be penalized 40 yards or $1500, whichever is crueler

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !sign up, noting that the game will be a disaster if we include the Dictum of Three Lefts without also including the Dictum of Three Wrongs. You should know better, Obo.

James on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In case you come from nations which do not utilize the dollar, money changers can be found in the nearby temple.

Gim on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    In case you come from nations which do not utilize the dollar, money changers can be found in the nearby temple.

Which dollar? Some are better than others and I'd hate to come here using a crappy one.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !sign up

I am pretty confident my cleverness will outclever the cleverness of my unclever opponents. I am a master of custom rules, and they will not throw me.

I fear, however, that I have a case of scurvy creeping up upon me and I may not be at my best for this competition. I will, however, grit it out.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !Sign up why not?

Especially if Orthogonal is playing.

As far as sticking to the canon rules, the 5th edition clearly stipulates that when running a forum version the organizers may opt to use any one (and only one) of the variants presented in the Pendleton summary.

That said, the LMMCS bylaws require me to state that I am a fit player, of reasonable sanity, and willing and eager to abide by the rules and laws of the appropriate governing society for this particular game.

So, what is the governing society present?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    James wrote: »
    !sign up, noting that the game will be a disaster if we include the Dictum of Three Lefts without also including the Dictum of Three Wrongs. You should know better, Obo.
    lol, I guess the school of 'separate but equal' has its adherents in Crescent just the same as chess

a lot of good it did you guys there, right? e-7 to e-5, rofl

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

Which dollar? Some are better than others and I'd hate to come here using a crappy one.

You will know if you are using an unofficial currency if and when you find yourself disqualified and branded

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    So I need a rulebook for this? Or can I play and not have to hunt down some obscure book?
    Wait, you don't know the rules already?

We have a virgin here, friends. How delicious.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That said, the LMMCS bylaws require me to state that I am a fit player, of reasonable sanity, and willing and eager to abide by the rules and laws of the appropriate governing society for this particular game.
    Calling the LMMCS a governing society is a bit like calling the peasantry of 11th century Europe a governing society. How's it feel to be a member of an organization that carved its niche out by capitulating to every other organization on every vote ever held? :P

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

[STRIKE]The Tuvaluan dollar.[/STRIKE]

Forget that I mentioned the Tuvaluan dollar.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    a lot of good it did you guys there, right? e-7 to e-5, rofl
    (Since I wager none of the rest of you guys are as brilliant or as well-versed as I am, the crux of this joke is that e-7 to e-5 is a terrible counter to white's comparatively-strong e-2 to e-4, while being an "equal" play in that it's literally a mirror.

Yes, yes, I know. Thank me later, plebs. For now, just bask in the glory that is Orthogonal ... once the game starts, you won't be able to do so for long. <3)

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Calling the LMMCS a governing society is a bit like calling the peasantry of 11th century Europe a governing society. How's it feel to be a member of an organization that carved its niche out by capitulating to every other organization on every vote ever held? :P

Look, the LMMCS is a society! That's what the S is for. And the governing is mostly of it's members. That's what the bylaws are for.

You're just jealous you aren't a member of the nicest organization in international play.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

You know full well the record cannot be stricken so easily.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So I need a rulebook for this? Or can I play and not have to hunt down some obscure book?
    Wait, you don't know the rules already?

We have a virgin here, friends. How delicious.

Notice the lack of a sign up post, because this feels way too cliquish for me to even attempt.

Cliquish? You obviously haven't seen the game run well, or possibly at all.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008

So you're a Tuvaluan sleeper agent eh? How very interesting.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I believe we're playing the international overs rules, correct Gim? No takebacks and every round's moves must be submitted in correct Naval notation on penalty of loss of inning privledges

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Look, the LMMCS is a society! That's what the S is for. And the governing is mostly of it's members. That's what the bylaws are for.

You're just jealous you aren't a member of the nicest organization in international play.
    You've got the facts right, except for that one where you think I'm jealous. I stopped being nice after I realized that if Pendleton had intended to allow hoppers transit from Devons Road to Leicester Square, he wouldn't have instituted the rather arbitrary My Step-Sister Moved to Devons rule.

Crescent isn't for nice people. I don't just move Orthogonally, I kick asses on those same axes. Don't think I think twice about it.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I believe we're playing the international overs rules, correct Gim? No takebacks and every round's moves must be submitted in correct Naval notation on penalty of loss of inning privledges
    You forgot the necessity of the official stationary. I won't have submissions being made on the back of cocktail napkins and neckerchiefs.

And for all your sakes, let us hope that the notary republic is not asleep at inappropriate hours.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I actually have no idea what to do, I'm just going with the flow.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Join now, Satan, and you're eligible for 200 bonus newbie points

That's a significant advantage over the professional louts

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Pfft.

Diagonal movement is superior.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Pfft.

Diagonal movement is superior.
    Diagonal movement is nothing more than the hotheaded and inefficient floundering of the weak. The strongest diagonal is still nothing more than an approximation of not just one orthogonal, but often many. At your best, you are still nothing more than a pale imitation of that which I am.

The diagonal is the desperate invention of a man who couldn't be traveling in two directions at once. Emily Orthogonal changed all of that. Say what you will about diagonals in general, but no matter what I cede I'll always be an exception to the rule -- I never said that what I do would work for anyone else. I'm not going to make that claim.

Emily Orthogonal is Emily Orthogonal. No one else can do what I do. No one!! :x

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    2ligf9y.jpg

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !Sign up

Losing through winning My only chance and success (and failure).

duallain on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Display of the color wheel prior to the deosil movement round is an illegal maneuver

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !sign up

I will think in an English accent to gain an edge.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think that the legality of that is up to the judges.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Forgetting who the judges are is a 37 point penalty

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Forgetting who the judges are is a 37 point penalty

Judgees caught judging is an instant forfeit

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Accents are, until otherwise noted, banned.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Judges caught judgeeing is an instant coffee.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Accents are, until otherwise noted, banned.

The activist group of ' '' ` ^ would like to formally declare their opposition to this repressive regime.

Aegis on
    Characters