As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax 2008 concert mosh

• PanopeaPanopea Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Simplicity wrote: »
    Panopea wrote: »
    I also wished for a bit more dancing at the concerts. I kept looking for a section to gravitate towards with other people dancing in it, but there were only scattered pockets of 3 people at the most dancing, so I gave up and just danced by myself :|

Come up to the top right hand side :] We always dance! :D

ooh, I'll have to remember that. ty! ^_^

Panopea on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    hahaha man pika puff, i'll have to remember to never meet you if i can help it.

its a concert guys, there will be moving around, stop whining.
    I saw you at Beppos.

And I think I said it earlier. It's not any concert, it's a concert at PAX. I thought, and saw from 06, that people at PAX would act differently. If PAX concerts are going to be treated like any normal concert, then I would understand and be part of everything mentioned. I thought PAX concerts were different, but if they're not, then they're not. Maybe change the notes to don't be a dick, except at the concerts, where it's normal to be one.

moving during a concert is being a dick?

HOW RUDE!

yes! let us all form a single file line in the order we came into the concert to enjoy it! now now! SINGLE FILE! I WAS HERE FIRST - I AM FIRST IN LINE TO SEE THE BAND.
    pushing in front of people to take their spot feels rude. You're exagerating what I'm saying.
    As7 wrote: »

No kidding.

And we didn't even really have to PUSH to get to the front. Everyone was standing a bodies length apart from one another!

When we decided to start dancing, everyone backed away. Half of them looked on in Jealousy, a few joined in, and we had a blast dancing to the silly electro-pop.

There were a couple people who were seriously looking at us in disdain, as if to say, "look at those NERDS!."

And one person actually pushed a friend of ours simply because he got within a couple feet of her while dancing.

It was pretty weird, even if I had a blast. I hope a lot more people dance with us next year.
    I'd inperpret peoples reactions and what happened as you guys being a bit of a dick, but I don't want to go through another page of uh-huhs and nuh-uhs.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yes! let us all form a single file line in the order we came into the concert to enjoy it! now now! SINGLE FILE! I WAS HERE FIRST - I AM FIRST IN LINE TO SEE THE BAND.

Q1: Was there a line to get into the concert?
    A1: Yes. Need pics?

Q2: What is the definition of a LINE?
    A2: a number of persons standing one behind the other and waiting their turns at or for something; queue.

So, I suppose the response to what you appear to think is a sarcastic comment would be: Yeah. Duh. The only incorrect bit is the "single file" part, which was never the case.

You are talking about PAX, right? What is there NOT a line for? Did you cut in front of the line for the concerts? Or for Freeplay? Or for the Panels? No? But you moved in front of those same people because it was a concert? At the panels, did you grab chairs and bring them up in front of all the other chairs? No? So is it a situational d-baggery thing?

ariocksayssquee on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Knob wrote: »
    i slid right up to the dang front

guess i'm a jerk

i did wind up directly in front of someone terrifically shorter than me, so i swapped places with them, they weren't gonna kill my view

guess i'm a polite jerk

knob were you the guy at the minibosses concert with the backpack we had to put under the enforcer chair?

delphinus on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    haha dear god you guys are so damn odd. its a concert. and yea a lot of people did not have to wait in a line of any kind, and no, you are not entitled tohaving no one move past you in a big concert type setting.

and pika puff, how is dancing in our own way without pushing or running into anyone dickish? i really fail to understand your logic.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2008
    The people who were not being dicks moved out of your way. I fail to see the logic of how out of how many people were at the concert, there's 20 or so saying the rest of the crowd was in the wrong.

All of As7's post was possible if you think that the crowd wasn't being rude while As7's group was, letting them take advantage of it all. "didn't really have to push" "everyone backed away"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    i was in as7's group. there were some bitchy people around because they are bitchy. we didn't bang into them or anything.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2008
    also we did not push to the front, we got to mid backish and had our own fun time without hurting anyone and some people were still bitches about it.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2008
    Because they moved out of your way

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    hahaha no, they were all standing feet apart from each other to begin with, and we wanted to get past the people sitting playing ds's at the back and to hopefully find some people having a good time, no one was moving at all, so we found a gap and started dancing ourselves.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

I saw you at Beppos.

And I think I said it earlier. It's not any concert, it's a concert at PAX. I thought, and saw from 06, that people at PAX would act differently. If PAX concerts are going to be treated like any normal concert, then I would understand and be part of everything mentioned. I thought PAX concerts were different, but if they're not, then they're not. Maybe change the notes to don't be a dick, except at the concerts, where it's normal to be one.

yes because we're all part of gamer culture so we have to be totally egalitarian and agree on everything in advance if something's not going to be the way YOU expect it to

look, you had the expectation and you're acting as if just having that expectation puts responsibility on everyone else at the concert to live up to your expectation

BULLSHIT

if you want to be up front, be prepared to be crowded by other people and slide through other groups to get up there
    I've never been to a rock/pop concert where this wasn't the case regardless of whether there was moshing or not
    so you have unrealistic expectations, and you're entitled to have them if you insist
    just realize that those expectations will continue to be dashed due to being unrealistic
    welcome to disappointmentville - population: you

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ITT: Pika is the wettest of blankets.

Seriously, you're upset at people dancing? At a concert? Trust me, the concerts at PAX might not have been what you wanted, but they were still far, far more considerate than any other concert you'll ever go to.

Pb on
    edited September 2008
    come on man, everyone knows nerds don't dance

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    So I saw a group near me doing exactly what you're talking about. They found an open space near the front and started bouncing around having fun. Other than the time they bumped into another person by accident or getting a bit too close to the guys standing still, they were having a fun time and enjoying the concert. Nothing wrong with that.

My first posts were saying that if there's a large group of people at the front all watching the concert, I think it's rude to push them out of the way to get up to the rail.

To which you replied that in that case they should push back. What would that lead to? More pushing?

In any case, I think you're arguing with me over the wrong reasons. After the 10 or 20 feet of sardine crowds all smashed up the front, there's empty areas in the floor where you walk up from the back and do whatever without bothering others. Which is where you probably were.

But tell me if you're referring to pushing your way through the crowd up to the very front of the stage then jumping around to make room for yourself, if that's what you meant. Then I can continue my cathartic bitching.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    so basically you're just bitching about nothing?
    because you seem to be tacitly acknowledging that you didn't see Bel doing anything wrong and that she was probably just fine where she was dancing

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    To which you replied that in that case they should push back. What would that lead to? More pushing?

If they don't, then a person is free to squeeze by them.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Maybe change the notes to don't be a dick, except at the concerts, where it's normal to be one.
    [...]
    BULLSHIT

if you want to be up front, be prepared to be crowded by other people and slide through other groups to get up there
    I've never been to a rock/pop concert where this wasn't the case regardless of whether there was moshing or not
    so you have unrealistic expectations, and you're entitled to have them if you insist
    just realize that those expectations will continue to be dashed due to being unrealistic
    welcome to disappointmentville - population: you
    It's the norm at concerts, but it's still rude. And I expect it to happen. And I do make these posts with the unrealistic expectation that people won't shove their way to the front. And I do get pretty disappointed when I see it happen.

So I don't see any bullshit here.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    so basically you're just bitching about nothing?
    because you seem to be tacitly acknowledging that you didn't see Bel doing anything wrong and that she was probably just fine where she was dancing
    I'm talking the very very front row where people wait in line for hours for and make a mad dash to when the doors open.

And aafter this misunderstanding, I think bel's talking about 10-20 feet back, where there are gaps from people who got bored and left and no one filled in.

So, yeah. Bitching about nothing. Except the shoving to the front thing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    Here's the thing: nobody's being a dick by asserting their position during a concert. They're being normal people.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    I suppose you think it's rude if someone doesn't immediately let you into their lane when you signal a lane change also.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Here's the thing: nobody's being a dick by asserting their position during a concert. They're being normal people.
    By asserting their position, are you saying they were already there and are keeping their position by pushing back people who want to cut in away? The people protecting their spot aren't dicks. I think I was saying the people who are trying to take the spots up front from others are dicks.
    I suppose you think it's rude if someone doesn't immediately let you into their lane when you signal a lane change also.
    Other way around, I believe. I think it's rude if someone changes into your lane without signaling and without any room, almost hitting you and forcing you to slow down to let them in without an accident.

In that situation, Bel's earlier response would be analogous with letting them hit my car and also turning into them a bit so they lose control and crash. To which I'm a pussy for not allowing to happen.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    The people protecting their spot aren't dicks.

But nobody was protecting their spot. If a person pushes forward, and you let them through, then you're saying "you may have my spot."

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    oh yes, because doing a bit of pushing in a concert is the exact same thing as a car crash.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2008

But nobody was protecting their spot. If a person pushes forward, and you let them through, then you're saying "you may have my spot."
    What would the correct response be to keep your spot, then? I'm sorry, I believe you might have moved into my spot assigned to me when I stood in line. Could you please vacate?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    oh yes, because doing a bit of pushing in a concert is the exact same thing as a car crash.
    Oh yes, because changing lanes on a highway is the same as moving up in a concert. Balme Dru for his stupid analogy, not me.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008

What would the correct response be to keep your spot, then? I'm sorry, I believe you might have moved into my spot assigned to me when I stood in line. Could you please vacate?

I thought we were talking about moving to the front of the crowd during the concert.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2008

I thought we were talking about moving to the front of the crowd during the concert.

Here's the thing: people who were an the front of the line were probably at the front of the concert. Also,

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008

Hey, at least credit the writer for that post.

Pb on
    edited September 2008
    Okay but it's a concert and there aren't any rules, written or unwritten, about where you stand during a concert.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    I did later, sorry. I guess there is a thing as too subtle. Called plagarism.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

the correct response is standing your ground. if someone manages to push past you and you can't see, then you move. crowds aren't supposed to be orderly. they're crowds.

satansfingers on
    edited September 2008
    Okay but it's a concert and there aren't any rules, written or unwritten, about where you stand during a concert.
    And if you're standing there and someone pushes you out your spot that you want to keep? The correct, non-dick action is? Or isn't the real question weather or not the guy pushing you out of your spot a dick in the first place?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    And if you're standing there and someone pushes you out your spot that you want to keep? The correct, non-dick action is? Or isn't the real question weather or not the guy pushing you out of your spot a dick in the first place?
    You know, there really shouldn't be any space. You should be close enough to other people that folks can't get a shoulder in. If you're hanging out with some kind of personal space bubble at the front of a concert then you're going to get cut in front of.

Pb on
    edited September 2008
    The correct, non-dick action is?

To.... push back?

Quit being a floor mat?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    Why is everyone ignoring the only point I'm making that it's rude to push in front of someone to take there spot?

Yes, it's normal.
    Yes, everyone does it.
    Yes, those are the unwritten rules.
    Yes, it's a fucking concert just have some god damn fun.

But all I'm trying to say is, yeah, you're being kind of a dick doing that.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008

To.... push back?

Quit being a floor mat?
    And then the guy pushes you back. Then?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    No, dude. You're not being a dick.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    You know, there really shouldn't be any space. You should be close enough to other people that folks can't get a shoulder in. If you're hanging out with some kind of personal space bubble at the front of a concert then you're going to get cut in front of.
    The sitution I think we're talking about, there isnt' any space.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008

To.... push back?

Quit being a floor mat?
    And then the guy pushes you back. Then?

FOOOOOOOOOD FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2008

jesus, this is bloody simple
    usually people are just pushing past you to get closer

I've rarely experienced anyone at a concert intentionally pushing me out of where I'm standing

so you just let them pass
    but just dancing and in the process occasionally bumping up against someone is not "forcing" them out of their spot

it's like you've got some kind of bloody flowchart to map this out as if it's an engineering problem that you have to find an optimal solution for
    get over yourself and just enjoy the damn concert even if you end up moving a couple of feet over to avoid someone dancing
    or, *gasp!* join in the bloody dancing
    it is a concert after all

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.