As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2008 Button Exchange! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Whyyy, whyyyyy did I never see her? I love harley!

I was thinking, I'm cool with people doing the "got buttan?" and dashing off. It's impossible to talk with everyone at length, and honestly no ones going to get along with everyone imaginable. Best to just have fun and take some extra time with whoever you hit it off with.

Although I think 150 buttons for next year is going to be my limit.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trixie 360 from Microsoft wore my button on the streaming show "Inside Xbox" on Xbox LIVE.

You can also check it out here:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/events/pax2008/default.htm

Then click Community Closeup.

Avid on
  • Options
    EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    suziez wrote: »
    yeah...definitely...i was sooo good at reading those tweets during pax weekend, wasn't i? totally met up with everyone from twitter and got everyone's buttons.

Who were you again? :P

Lol suzie you're only following like 5 of the twitterers, no wonder! haha I have about 40 on my list.

p.s.: <3 Suziez

Earley on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    Strife23 wrote: »
    Didn't RedHalo (or someone editing his post) talk to the TSA and find out they don't care? Unless you come from outside the country, that is, in which case they suspect you of smuggling drugs in the buttons.

That would have been me, I just wanted to make sure my local TSA didn't lie to me :P

Yeah, no one even batted an eye at my bag. I can't possibly imagine what it looked like going through the x-ray machine though. Like some kind of x-ray camouflage.

Alright, time for our funny TSA story. So going to pax, we had no problem, we took our buttons in our carry on, and the ontario TSA didnt even seem to notice the roughly 500 buttons in the bag. On the way home was a little different though. Again in the carry on, they stop the conveyor when our bag is in the xray. I chuckle a bit, and tell my sister, "Look, theyre looking at the buttons" They pull our bag aside and we go through the metal detectors. Once over there, he asks us if it was our bag, we agree. He then tells us he is going to have to check the bag, and if there is anything in there that will hurt him. I tell him about the buttons and point to the pocket in the bag that they are in, and he gets all freaked out, "Dont touch the bag" LOL, he eventually opens up the pocked and pulls out the plastic bags of buttons. He chuckles and turns to the other TSA guy, and goes, "A foil blanket, seriously?" Apparently they were betting each other on what they thought it was lol. He laughed and looked at us, and gave us our buttons and bag back. So yeah, not much of a complication, but I thought it was pretty funny.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can home from work today and pure buttons sent me another 50 buttons that I didn't order, what should I do with them?

Mustard Tiger on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can home from work today and pure buttons sent me another 50 buttons that I didn't order, what should I do with them?

Reverse shoplift them.

Drop them one by one in with other buttons in any shops that sell buttons

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Reverse shoplift them.

Your idea intrigues me.

Mustard Tiger on
  • Options
    waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Reverse shoplift them.

Yes! I love the phrase "reverse shoplift" and was using it all weekend at PAX. =D

Also, I wish purebuttons would send me some more =(

waffleboi9 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I did it at one of the stalls, but got caught out :(

Edit:

Banksy is the master of it

LewieP on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I did it at one of the stalls, but got caught out :(

Edit:

Banksy is the master of it

Banksy FTW. I love his work. Actually, when I took AP art history... I didn't really pay attention the whole year, so on the free response part of the AP test, luckily it was on 21st century art, so I wrote my whole essay on banksy lol... and I actually passed and got college credit :P

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    88 original buttons that are not mine nor HDTS buttons
    100_0496.jpg

edit: make that 92, I just found 4 in the bottom of my backpack

Finally! You're the first person to post a picture of my button. I will have to buy like 200 for next year.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    eyeshuh had yours on her pax thingy.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I managed to collect 96 buttons and still have 7 of mine left.

Cynd3rCyn on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have one of yours mentok. Yours is just hard to find!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ...I was the one who suggested the background for The_Reflect...but I never got his...

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    DarkphibreDarkphibre Photographer / Programmer / Data Scientist / Gamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Earley wrote: »
    And we are still talking every day to each other. Right @darkphibre?
    Completely true! Earley has been treated to hourly updates on the mundane goings-on of photograph touchups. :P

Darkphibre on
    Gamertag: Darkphibre, or Me for Halo! darkphibre.com, flickr

Dark Fibre: Fiberoptic cable placed in anticipation of future demand

7z9qpxgpj3ha.png
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dunno how many my friends and I got, we were pimping a web series my friend makes. The Adventures of Luke and Joe. lukeandjoe.com

I see a few in the pictures. Go to the website, watch the series.

I didn't even think about it this year, I totally could have pimped my own thing too. Dystopia. Mod for HL2. Very fun. Big update coming soon. http://www.dystopia-game.com/news.php

Back to the buttons, between the three of us we got somewhere around 100 or more. We went with about 200 and left with around 50. We started handing them out for free at the end.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Unless my count is wrong, I got 114:
    114Buttons.jpg

Woot! =)

I think I had at least another 10-15 beyond that, because that's my rough estimate of how many fell off/ disappeared while they were on my backpack. =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    suziezsuziez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    Who were you again? :P
    haha, oh shush. you're alliance.

suziez on
  • Options
    suziezsuziez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Earley wrote: »
    Lol suzie you're only following like 5 of the twitterers, no wonder! haha I have about 40 on my list.

p.s.: <3 Suziez
    sir, i'm gonna need a list of all the twitterers and they're gonna need to know that i'm adding them and that i'm normal

I WANNA BE INCLUDED!

suziez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    (includes suziez in all reindeer games) =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Unless my count is wrong, I got 114:
    114Buttons.jpg

Woot! =)

I think I had at least another 10-15 beyond that, because that's my rough estimate of how many fell off/ disappeared while they were on my backpack. =(

Too bad VT. I found my last 6 buttons in my luggage when I got home... I wish I could have gotten mine to you.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Reverse shoplift them.

I brought a bunch of my Nerd! buttons in magnet form, and stuck them in strategic places (the expo hall, the queue room, restaurants, the sheraton, the handheld lounge, the escalators, rockband freeplay, the concert hall, and a few other places). Did anyone happen to find one?

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    DoubleDayDoubleDay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ukiyo e wrote: »

Reverse shoplift them.

I brought a bunch of my Nerd! buttons in magnet form, and stuck them in strategic places (the expo hall, the queue room, restaurants, the sheraton, the handheld lounge, the escalators, rockband freeplay, the concert hall, and a few other places). Did anyone happen to find one?

I didn't make any pins this year, but i ended up with a few of them. I found one of yours in the expo hall.
    I wish i had found your fire pin too though.

DoubleDay on
  • Options
    Strife23Strife23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    Alright, time for our funny TSA story. So going to pax, we had no problem, we took our buttons in our carry on, and the ontario TSA didnt even seem to notice the roughly 500 buttons in the bag. On the way home was a little different though. Again in the carry on, they stop the conveyor when our bag is in the xray. I chuckle a bit, and tell my sister, "Look, theyre looking at the buttons" They pull our bag aside and we go through the metal detectors. Once over there, he asks us if it was our bag, we agree. He then tells us he is going to have to check the bag, and if there is anything in there that will hurt him. I tell him about the buttons and point to the pocket in the bag that they are in, and he gets all freaked out, "Dont touch the bag" LOL, he eventually opens up the pocked and pulls out the plastic bags of buttons. He chuckles and turns to the other TSA guy, and goes, "A foil blanket, seriously?" Apparently they were betting each other on what they thought it was lol. He laughed and looked at us, and gave us our buttons and bag back. So yeah, not much of a complication, but I thought it was pretty funny.

When I went through security on the way back the TSA people were to busy looking at my Advent Children action figure to notice anything else, which is funny since I had 2 glass pipes in my backpack that I was bring back for friends lol

Strife23 on
    I feel like I've passed an arbitrary experience point limit and gained more power.
    Strife23105039_thintag.gif
  • Options
    DarkphibreDarkphibre Photographer / Programmer / Data Scientist / Gamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Finally! You're the first person to post a picture of my button. I will have to buy like 200 for next year.
    Don't feel alone! I handed out more than a hundred Moo cards, 'special editions' signed by Coulton, Wheadon, and others... but no one's wanted to include them in their photos. :|

I have plans for next year. My cards will not be second-class citizens in the swap! :)

Darkphibre on
    Gamertag: Darkphibre, or Me for Halo! darkphibre.com, flickr

Dark Fibre: Fiberoptic cable placed in anticipation of future demand

7z9qpxgpj3ha.png
  • Options
    ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darkphibre wrote: »
    I have plans for next year. My cards will not be second-class citizens in the swap! :)

Don't bring cards to a button fight.

or something.

ariocksayssquee on
  • Options
    ReisaroniReisaroni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I put all my buttons up at work. Ah what a masterpiece!
    20080904paxbuttons001as9.jpg

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darkphibre wrote: »

Don't bring cards to a button fight.

or something.

But the cards are still on the awesome side! I have mine on my window at work.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I didn't get your card! =( But it does bring up a neat idea. I would LOVE it if we could all make our own Magic: The Gathering cards of ourselves and trade those! I imagine it's not possible, but if it somehow was that'd be really neat! (Like to get the proper cardstock and all of that, and get them printed at an affordable price)

It'd be awesome to put together a "PAX Forumer" deck =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've got 130, I'll post pics over the weekend.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [QUOTE=VThornheart;6963559It'd be awesome to put together a "PAX Forumer" deck =)[/QUOTE]

...There would be alot of supposed "Dark"?? "Black"??? Whatever the frack those are.

Me?? BLUUEEE!!

...That's Water, right?? I never knew my M:tG colours.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Aye, blue is the water one! I believe it stands for intelligence and wisdom, if I remember correctly. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Some of us could always put together a card game ruleset and card format, then people can order cards of themselves with their stats and trade them with their buttons next year. Maybe give the buttons some kind of role in the game as well. It wouldn't be magic, but it would be damned interesting.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    That would be really neat Moe! =)=)

Is that possible? Like is there a place somewhere that we can have our own card game printed?

I'd be down for figuring out the rules for a PAX card game! =) That'd be awesome! And indeed, I agree it'd have to incorporate buttons (maybe as some kind of modifier to the same card... like if you put Moe Fwacky into play in both Button and Card form, he gets some kind of bonus for example =) ).

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    I'm sure there's some printing site that will print on cardstock in the right size with a nice gloss, we just have to find them. I mean, we found purebuttons, right? I'm sure we can find a printer for this too.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I'm sure there's some printing site that will print on cardstock in the right size with a nice gloss, we just have to find them. I mean, we found purebuttons, right? I'm sure we can find a printer for this too.

Check out www.vistaprint.com which is where I purchased my business cards and the scorecards for the Triwizard Drinking Tournament. There's different options that may work for something like t his. Bear in mind there are always 50% off codes and free shipping codes that you can stack when purchasing from here.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I was ordering my buttons, I couldn't help thinking of this:

Button Men
    wiki wrote:
    Games are short, typically taking less than ten minutes to play. Each player is represented by a pin-back button of their choice... They bear the name and illustration of the combatant (the "Button Man", or "fighter") whose role the player is assuming. They also indicate the number, size, and abilities (if any) of dice to be used by the player... Players play several rounds, first rolling a set of Dice, and then playing several turns in which they target their opponent’s Dice with their own to capture, take control of, or neutralize them, based on their current values. The first player to win three rounds wins the game.

I got in on it too late to suggest it this year, but we could incoporate it pretty smoothly into our buttons. I used to love this game and I still have several of the original pins.

If we did a card game, I'd recommend basing it off of something with really open rules like Fluxx, We Didn't Playtest This, or 1000 Blank White Cards.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    We could make munchkin compatible cards.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Moe's right, they do exist!

Here's the first one I've found, possibly the first of many possible ones:

http://www.guildofblades.com/podcards.php

Okay, so there's definitely people out there that'll do it... it's actually pretty cheap too!

Let's say everyone printed JUST their card, and did trading that way with the company above.

18 card set (where all 18 are your card) x 10 sets = 180 cards (enough to give one to everyone if it was done this year.

Cost? $13.50.

Not too shabby!

There's also http://www.yaquinto.com - No pricing though on this one.

I'll have to keep looking on Sunday.

I really, really, REALLY like this idea!

I also think it'd be neat if we came up with our own card game rules, like Moe was mentioning. If we sort of made our own game. =)

If no one's done it already, when I get back from my anniversary trip (down the road to a hotel... I asked my wife what she wanted for our anniversary, and she said "to get away from her parents"... so I obey! =) ) I'll make a thread so we can discuss this more! =) I want this to happen! =)=)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.