As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Sandman Thread about Sandman (The Series)

13»

• VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I may be wrong, but I thought only the first Absolute was recoloured.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    why would that be the case?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Servo wrote: »

Because Neil Gaiman demanded it?

I only have the first two Absolutes, but the only recolouring I remember in the second was Mark Twain's hair colour being changed from blonde to red.

Red or Alive on
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really liked Sandman, and then Books of Magic (although that ended up getting way too weird to follow).

SkankPlaya on
    edited September 2008

Because Neil Gaiman demanded it?

do you have a citation for this?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Virral wrote: »

The third one has recolored issues, I know. Not sure about the second one.

DarkPrimus on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The first of four beautifully designed slipcased volumes, THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOL. 1 collects issues #1-20 of THE SANDMAN and features completely new coloring, approved by the author on the first 18 issues, as well as a host of never-before-seen extra material including the complete original Sandman proposal, a gallery of character designs from Gaiman and the artists who originated the look of the Sandman, and the original script for the World Fantasy Award-winning THE SANDMAN #19, "A Midsummer Night's Dream," together with reproductions of the issue's original pencils by Charles Vess. Also included are a new introduction by DC President and Publisher Paul Levitz and an afterword by Gaiman.

The second of four beautifully designed slipcased volumes, THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOL. 2 collects issues 21-39 of THE SANDMAN and features remastered coloring on all 19 issues as well as brand-new inks on THE SANDMAN #34 by the issue's original penciller, Colleen Doran, and a host of bonus material, including two never-before-reprinted stories by Gaiman (one prose and one illustrated), a complete reproduction of the never-before-reprinted one-shot THE SANDMAN: A GALLERY OF DREAMS, and the complete script and pencils by Gaiman and Kelley Jones for Chapter Two of "Season of Mists" from THE SANDMAN #23.

from dc's website.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited September 2008
    Thats cool, I did think I might be wrong... off the top of my head I can't remember where I got the impression only the first book was recoloured. It may have been from a source before the second book was released perhaps.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    that's cool. i recall seeing some comparisons from one of them and being impressed with the new colors.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guh, Gaiman is doing a signing at the national mall in a couple of weeks and all of my Gaiman books are in storage in a different state. I still need to get the Absolute Sandman vol 3 so I might as well get that signed even if it involves me lugging that thing around for hours.

animale on
    edited September 2008
    A friend went to a book signing here fairly recently and I tried to explain that she should be getting my Absolute books signed for me... for some unknown reason she seemed reluctant.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    animale wrote: »
    Guh, Gaiman is doing a signing at the national mall in a couple of weeks and all of my Gaiman books are in storage in a different state. I still need to get the Absolute Sandman vol 3 so I might as well get that signed even if it involves me lugging that thing around for hours.

Since it's part of the tour for his new book (The Graveyard Book), you'll be able to buy it there a little before its street date. I'm planning on getting there early, as I imagine copies are limited.

I'm in the same boat with most of my Gaiman books being in a different state, and the ones I do have are already signed :)

Oh shit, I forgot I have Good Omens with me. Woo!

KalTorak on
    edited September 2008
    i have good omens signed by terry pratchett and neil gaiman

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm going to poop on you.

KalTorak on
    edited September 2008
    DCD1008SandmanBookends.jpg

SANDMAN AND DEATH 20TH ANNIVERSARY Bookends

A mere $295, follow the link for a 360 view.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Goldy!

And Norton's hat! (I think)

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited September 2008
    Matthew is on the other side of Dream too, and he (Dream that is) has the ruby round his neck.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

it's great, actually. i met terry pratchett first and he signed it with "BURN THIS BOOK", and when i gave it to mr gaiman to sign a few years later, he saw where mr pratchett had signed it and added "APPLY HOLY MATCHES HERE" with an arrow indicating where holy matches might best be applied.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Goldy!

And Norton's hat! (I think)

Nah, I don't think that's Norton's hat. I think that's the top hat she wears in Death: The High Cost of Living

Centipede Damascus on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

it's great, actually. i met terry pratchett first and he signed it with "BURN THIS BOOK", and when i gave it to mr gaiman to sign a few years later, he saw where mr pratchett had signed it and added "APPLY HOLY MATCHES HERE" with an arrow indicating where holy matches might best be applied.

That just makes me so sad, knowing of Pratchett's unavoidable descent into dementia. I love everything I've ever read from either of those men, and it's just too tragic that someone so creative (and prolific) will be lost to us so suddenly.

mattharvest on
    edited September 2008

That just makes me so sad, knowing of Pratchett's unavoidable descent into dementia. I love everything I've ever read from either of those men, and it's just too tragic that someone so creative (and prolific) will be lost to us so suddenly.

it really is just a damn shame. i grew up reading his books and in a lot of ways i think they've helped to shape the kind of person i am. i can go back to those books today (and do!) and still enjoy them, no matter how many times i've read them, and there's not many authors who have that kind of replayability. in a way, it's worse than if he had died.

now i've made myself sad.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

it really is just a damn shame. i grew up reading his books and in a lot of ways i think they've helped to shape the kind of person i am. i can go back to those books today (and do!) and still enjoy them, no matter how many times i've read them, and there's not many authors who have that kind of replayability. in a way, it's worse than if he had died.

now i've made myself sad.

It's not worse than death yet, but it will be for him as he feels his very selfhood slip away. The most brutal stage of Alzheimers isn't the actual dementia: it's the period at the beginning of dementia, where your lucidity slips in and out, and you can be actually aware of your own failings. There is nothing I can conceive of more terrifying that watching yourself die in that way.

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd kill myself as soon as I felt it slipping away. Of course, I'd do it by natural causes, e.g. a lion.

mattharvest on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just wanted to say that I lent my entire set, all volumes, of trade for this series to a friend. These trades have not been returned and the person in question has dropped off the face of the known universe.

So, I have soothed the stinging pain by replacing them with the three monolithic Absolute versions, which are even now being speedily shipped to my location.

Life is good.

Raynaga on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There are four editions now. Better put in an order!

KyleWPeterson on
    edited November 2008
    Yes the only thing better than three gigantic volumes of leather bound Sandman goodness is four gigantic volumes of leather bound Sandman goodness.

The only problem is if you leave them out, primitive man tend to gather around them and beat each other to death with leg bones.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Since I didnt think it was mentioned yet, American Gods should be required reading for anyone who likes Gaiman's work.

Does it get any better as it goes along?

I bought it a year or two back and I returned it because of some REALLY bad writing. I admit it was only about 10 pages in, and it was first exposure to Gaiman. Later I picked up a Sandman book and loved it, so I bought the Absolutes and have been working my way through them.

Now that I know I like his stuff, I've thought of going back to the one that almost killed it for me.

mrdobalina on
    edited November 2008

And I thought it was only the first few stories (6?) at that.

mrdobalina on
    edited November 2008
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    Since I didnt think it was mentioned yet, American Gods should be required reading for anyone who likes Gaiman's work.

I bought it a year or two back and I returned it because of some REALLY bad writing. I admit it was only about 10 pages in, and it was first exposure to Gaiman. Later I picked up a Sandman book and loved it, so I bought the Absolutes and have been working my way through them.

Now that I know I like his stuff, I've thought of going back to the one that almost killed it for me.

I had a hard time getting through it at first too (first Gaiman book I'd read). I ended up enjoying it a lot more in audiobook form.

KalTorak on
    edited November 2008
    mrdobalina wrote: »

I had a hard time getting through it at first too (first Gaiman book I'd read). I ended up enjoying it a lot more in audiobook form.

There was a quote about a fox eating shit off a barbed wire fence. That killed it for me.

Edit: But you know what really pulled me into Gaiman (and I might be weird for this)....Marvel 1602. I'm not a big superhero guy, but I thought that was brilliant.

mrdobalina on