As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Magnetic

• AlexanderAlexander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Music is a very fun and wonderful journey.

my favourite part is when you lose the holistic mystique behind even the simplest songs, because you know how they work, but then you gain an appreciation for the more complex stuff that baffled you or left you cold beforehand.

The knowing smile that comes with knowing how to play songs.

I want to learn some delta blues, slide slide slide time.

Alexander on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Alexander wrote: »
    Nerissa wrote: »
    I wish I could play any musical instrument.

I got an acoustic guitar for Christmas, but I haven't made the time to learn much yet, and the guitar thread here is a bit intimidating for a true newbie.

You can do it easy peasy. just go to guitartabs online and learn the songs you like to listen to, thats how I learnt and improved, unless you like heavy metal then you're pretty much fucked.

this post pretty much sums up my 8 years career of playing guitar.

I can play some Mastodon tracks with a lot of practice, that's about the top end of my face-melting ability.

Pftt, playing fast is for people that aren't good enough to write.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »
    I wish I could play any musical instrument.

I got an acoustic guitar for Christmas, but I haven't made the time to learn much yet, and the guitar thread here is a bit intimidating for a true newbie.

You can do it easy peasy. just go to guitartabs online and learn the songs you like to listen to, thats how I learnt and improved, unless you like heavy metal then you're pretty much fucked.

this post pretty much sums up my 8 years career of playing guitar.

I can play some Mastodon tracks with a lot of practice, that's about the top end of my face-melting ability.

that's not necessarily true. speed is one of the devices in a musician's repertoire like any other, and it produces an effect like any other.

also there's nothing wrong with building your facemelting skills if it's not at the cost of broader musical knowledge and ability.

there's something really really cathartic and satisfying about busting out a really fast solo, whether it's in the style of blues or thrash or whatever.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited September 2008
    I think seasick steve has made me decide to buy a slide tomorrow, I love that man.

Alexander on
    edited September 2008
    I know, I just can't play fast to save my life. :(

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited September 2008
    Grease up those hands boy!

Alexander on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Huh. I think my impending exit from this wonderful wonderful place is causing me internal problems.

Or I have eaten something wrong. I'm not sure.

Guys this is my last day in Seattle. :(

Incenjucar on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    phew, i have internet again.

NEVER LEAVE IT EVER AGAIN

Man, I dunno how I'd procrastinate at work if I didn't have internet.

Nova_C on
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, we should make an online collaboration project between all of us and become a supergroup!

Alexander on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    phew, i have internet again.

NEVER LEAVE IT EVER AGAIN

Man, I dunno how I'd procrastinate at work if I didn't have internet.
    Same here, same here

Some days I just don't have any work - I'd be bored stiff were it not for the internet

Janson on
    edited September 2008
    Huh. I think my impending exit from this wonderful wonderful place is causing me internal problems.

Or I have eaten something wrong. I'm not sure.

Guys this is my last day in Seattle. :(

Tonight you will be...sleepless

Post Number reference - London Olympics YEEEEEAH!

Alexander on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    On the way to uni today I saw a custom lisence plate "MCHUGS" and thought, "Man, MC Hugs would be a great name for a rapper."

Unearthly Stew on
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, we should make an online collaboration project between all of us and become a supergroup!

I still want to make a thread that's basically a cover "contest", where every week or so a new song is posted and everyone does their own cover, alone or as a group, in whatever style.

Also, buy a slide. Six bucks for a good brass slide that will make you feel like you live in Nevada.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited September 2008

D:

Incenjucar on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If I printed out a document that read "Why does everyone just want to hurt my feelings?" to the communal printer on this floor and waited a few hours before picking it up, would I be breaking company policy?

They told us not to leave sensitive documents lying around.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited September 2008

I still want to make a thread that's basically a cover "contest", where every week or so a new song is posted and everyone does their own cover, alone or as a group, in whatever style.

This sounds pretty cool actually, I would mos def partake.

Alexander on
    edited September 2008
    On the way to uni today I saw a custom lisence plate "MCHUGS" and thought, "Man, MC Hugs would be a great name for a rapper."

Or maybe it was a pedo clown? you never know.

I like MC pee pants the best.

Alexander on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    Same here, same here

Some days I just don't have any work - I'd be bored stiff were it not for the internet

Oh, hey, Janson. How's your snake?

Cerb is 210 grams now. He's also starting to really kill the dead mice. :P Getting more aggressive as he gets older, which is different than what I expected.

Nova_C on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmmm, I don't think I'm going to bother with the pub today. I think I'll go home and do some baking instead.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2008

D:

Sorry, it was so easy. I'll kill myself now.

Alexander on
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Hmmm, I don't think I'm going to bother with the pub today. I think I'll go home and do some baking instead.

..... Unless you're baking pints get to the pub you sorry excuse for a binge drinker...

(I actually approve of your baking, far better than the pub)

Alexander on
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

that's not necessarily true. speed is one of the devices in a musician's repertoire like any other, and it produces an effect like any other.

also there's nothing wrong with building your facemelting skills if it's not at the cost of broader musical knowledge and ability.

there's something really really cathartic and satisfying about busting out a really fast solo, whether it's in the style of blues or thrash or whatever.

This is interesting, because there's the same "I can play faster than you" sort of competitiveness in classical music performance too. But teachers try to discourage it. Once I learned this piece and practiced it to the point where I can do a little facemelting, and my teacher was like, "Don't play it that fast, it just sounds like you're faking it."

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008

D:

Sorry, it was so easy. I'll kill myself now.

It'd be great if he got a fortune cookie that said the same thing.

Hey Incen, up for some Chinese food?

Unearthly Stew on
    edited September 2008

This is interesting, because there's the same "I can play faster than you" sort of competitiveness in classical music performance too. But teachers try to discourage it. Once I learned this piece and practiced it to the point where I can do a little facemelting, and my teacher was like, "Don't play it that fast, it just sounds like you're faking it."

Eh, waaay back in middle school I tended to play everything fast. There were a few of us who did so, and the instructor put us together for an ensemble. Sadly we never really did anything with it.

Unearthly Stew on
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    If I printed out a document that read "Why does everyone just want to hurt my feelings?" to the communal printer on this floor and waited a few hours before picking it up, would I be breaking company policy?

They told us not to leave sensitive documents lying around.

Oh Drez.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Ah chat its coming to the best part of the day, leaving the office.

Alexander on
    edited September 2008

Sure, if it's near the downtown or capital hill area. I have done my major traveling for the week. :P

Walked at least sixty and maybe closer to a hundred blocks yesterday.

Incenjucar on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What D&D needs is a nice string quartet.

Bama on
    edited September 2008
    Also if you get food poisoning you will be sleepless

Alexander on
    edited September 2008
    Really I think the main thing to consider for sleep is the noisy people across the street and the open sliding door.

The other night some woman was yelling "You're a pervert!" for like ten minutes. At like 1am.

Incenjucar on
    edited September 2008

Sure, if it's near the downtown or capital hill area. I have done my major traveling for the week. :P

Walked at least sixty and maybe closer to a hundred blocks yesterday.

Aw, now I feel bad. Think you can make it to the North Dakota area of Seattle?

Unearthly Stew on
    edited September 2008
    Really I think the main thing to consider for sleep is the noisy people across the street and the open sliding door.

The other night some woman was yelling "You're a pervert!" for like ten minutes. At like 1am.

Sliding doors??? sleepless in seattle???

You are Mr RomCom.

(I couldnt think of a romcom with pervert in the title)

Alexander on
    edited September 2008
    I rationalized my inability to play fast by saying things like, "I prefer musicality to speed," and judging people harshly that could thrash but couldn't write or compose or arrange.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited September 2008

Whut

--

I'm really much more of a poor, non-bald Frasier.

Incenjucar on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Irish as the last class on a Friday is the worst.

Tav on
    edited September 2008
    Bye everyone, have a fun weekend.

OFFICE TIME IS OVER YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

Alexander on
    edited September 2008

i think there is that kind of competitiveness in every hobby or occupation. the machismo element is more played up with electric guitar than, say, violin, i would imagine, but it's still there.

i can't play all that fast, since my scales kinda suck, but i can do some good blues improv.

Evil Multifarious on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Holy shit that's a great idea.

MikeMan on
    edited September 2008

Whut

--

I'm really much more of a poor, non-bald Frasier.

ND was annexed by the great city of Seattle back in '62. I thought everyone knew this.
    I got nothin'.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited September 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Irish as the last class on a Friday is the worst.

What do they teach in Irish class?

Wonder_Hippie on
This discussion has been closed.