As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] No chat, only war. And /special.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If I were Order, I'd probably play an Archmage. Just seems like it would be fun to be able to nuke and heal. Flexibility ftw.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Timmer wrote: »
    Empire not having a pure healing class means that healing is not going to come often, especially if you're pugging it. Nor do they have a tank, which means you have a part-time healer (when they heal others at all) and two squishy classes.

I agree with the latter part: no Empire Knight is going to be an issue but I'm curious as to the no 'pure healing' ... the WP is as much a healer as any other. Each healer type has their pros and cons. IIRC, the AM/Shamman have the best burst healing. I know the Z/RP are known as the 'all around healers' but WP/DoK I think are better at AOE healing (I'm honestly a little fuzzy on the last group as they're not a role I'm intrigued by).

Yes, obviously warrior priests can heal just fine, but given what the average MMO player is like, if they can do other things they will. Having a class that is meant only for healing means that you're more likely to get some healing.

I mean, I saw plenty of shamans that never healed---but I never saw any zealots who didn't because that would mean that they'd have little to nothing to do. I think that's what I'm trying to say.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Empire not having a pure healing class means that healing is not going to come often, especially if you're pugging it. Nor do they have a tank, which means you have a part-time healer (when they heal others at all) and two squishy classes.

I agree with the latter part: no Empire Knight is going to be an issue but I'm curious as to the no 'pure healing' ... the WP is as much a healer as any other. Each healer type has their pros and cons. IIRC, the AM/Shamman have the best burst healing. I know the Z/RP are known as the 'all around healers' but WP/DoK I think are better at AOE healing (I'm honestly a little fuzzy on the last group as they're not a role I'm intrigued by).

Yes, obviously warrior priests can heal just fine, but given what the average MMO player is like, if they can do other things they will. Having a class that is meant only for healing means that you're more likely to get some healing.

I mean, I saw plenty of shamans that never healed---but I never saw any zealots who didn't because that would mean that they'd have little to nothing to do. I think that's what I'm trying to say.
    I think the case is simply that it comes down to the skill of the players and their willingness to do what the team needs, as opposed to whatever they are predisposed to do.

Rend on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looks like I found my given order character alt

Shadow warrior woo

Sniping people is fun

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rend wrote: »

I think the case is simply that it comes down to the skill of the players and their willingness to do what the team needs, as opposed to whatever they are predisposed to do.

Personally, I can't wait to heal the crap out of everyone on my shaman. 8-)

Vi Monks on
    edited September 2008
    Also, I had no problems outhealing every runepriest and archmage in the scenarios if I just decided to stay back and heal, which I did most of the time anyway

Most people seem to not know how to heal, even though it is pretty much the most basic thing out there

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »

Personally, I can't wait to heal the crap out of everyone on my shaman. 8-)

If the launch of Warhammer is like most MMOs, Healing will absolutely steamroll people in PvP until people learn who to target.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The funny thing is, you might not have -seen- them healing, doesn't mean they weren't. The more damage skills a Shaman uses the more powerful their heal will be, works the other way around too. Also to the person who was asking if they would be able to participate in the beta, yes but I think Open Beta for standard edition pre-orders will start Monday, not Sunday. Course maybe I'm wrong ._0

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    captaink wrote: »

I do agree though that if I were to guess, mainly at early levels, the players are probably less likely to start out healing well on the WP side as it's a different mechanic and I'm sure they'll get more players who just want to be a melee paladin who maybe heals sometimes ;)

That's okay, Bright Wizards are still flavor of the month.

Not sure what that has to do with what you quoted but I bet BW will be more than flavors of the month.. more like flavors of the game's life. I love nukers so of course I'm naturally drawn to the BW/Sorc and I have to admit the BW is just a great class. I'm still hoping Mythic adds other colleges in later, though...
    - Celestial: awesome weather effects (lightning, debuffs, wind, flying... good times!)
    - Jade: could be a druid-like class (nature, thorns, animals, etc)
    - Amethyst: death magic but not evil (ie, natural death, aging, debuffs)

Not sure how they'd get other colleges in though unless they just expand the current factions they have now as opposed to adding new ones.

Anyway, I'm digressing...

Timmer on
    edited September 2008
    oh and hey

the graphical animation glitches in this game are awesome
    MUTANTS.jpg

He had it coming with a name like that though

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008

Totally agree... it's the "Hey guys, I know I'm a healer but I'm going to do DPS, k?" syndrome :)

Timmer on
    edited September 2008
    thing is, shamans/archmages should be doing dps

it's part of their mechanic, and they can deal good widespread damage

I usually mix it up when I play one. Some healing here, some killin' there.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    The funny thing is, you might not have -seen- them healing, doesn't mean they weren't. The more damage skills a Shaman uses the more powerful their heal will be, works the other way around too. Also to the person who was asking if they would be able to participate in the beta, yes but I think Open Beta for standard edition pre-orders will start Monday, not Sunday. Course maybe I'm wrong ._0

One of my issues with how they implemented the Shaman mechanic (and AM):

It only increases the effectiveness of your instants. The casted heals only have their cast time reduced. While it's not a bad thing the issue is as a Shaman/AM are you going to not heal for 5 seconds so you can cast three damaging spells so that you're next heal is cast 1 second quicker?

"Sorry, give me 5 seconds to dps so I can heal 1 second faster after those 5 seconds of not healing... " ?

It's not a terrible mechanic as it does *allow* damaging casting to be interspersed without as much of a drawback (or vice versa) but it doesn't encourage it, either.

I got added into beta around 9-12 months ago (right when they brought it up after they shut down beta for a couple months whenever that was) but I heard before that Shamans/AM had really weak base healing that was increased by damaging which did encourage this but on the downside made it so you that until Waaagh was built up, the healing was no good (and then it got too good as Waagh was built up) so I guess there's a reason for it.

Timmer on
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression it was more a comment to people I'm sure we've all grouped with in dungeon groups when you get a healer class who refuses to heal because he wants to see how much he can make his healer spec act like a dps class -- so of course, the group fails and wastes everyone's time.

Timmer on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's fine if healers go DPS. That's what Mythic has been saying all along. They don't want to pigeon-hole a healer class into just healing. If a Shaman want's to fire his Proton Gun at mobs all day long.. so be it.

Thing is, the best healer archetype players will be those who can fill different roles.

I just played for a little under an hour before some guests arrive for the weekend, but Mythic certainly has pulled out quite a few nice fixes.

Still on the block to be fixed:

- AI Pathing is still a bit wonky, but MILES better than how it was before
    - Graphical glitches happen at random... this is a new thing. My guy's ponytail stays in the air whenever I bend over.. so the hair stretches 4 feet to the ground.
    - Performance? I noticed a decrease in performance this time around. I'm wondering if it's a matter of bugs or that I've got shiny new video options turned on now.

That's only after an hour of play, so it's not perfect..

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has Mythic said any specific time they are going to be starting open? Aside from Sunday, I mean.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so i've decided that chosen is my class and i honestly don't want to roll another destruction character.

going back to my pantless warrior priest on tod.

Angry on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

Yeah, their mechanic encourages them to do some of both, unless they're heavily specced in Gork or Mork, and then they should be focused on one or the other, because (as I understand) at a certain level specialization outweighs the Gork/Mork mechanic.

Shamans are fun as hell though. I still haven't found anything I like more, though I do like Bright Wizard & Sorc.

However, I'm more prone to play healing classes just because of how much they can turn the tide of battle in your favor when used properly. Good DPS can do that too, obviously, but healers are (generally) rarer than DPS.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm having problems with the installer. When i ran warpatch.exe for the first time, it seemed to patch about 300k worth of files, then stopped. Now when i try and run it, nothing happens. Running War.exe causes an error message as well, saying something like a critical error. And i've tried reinstalling it, and i also formatted my pc today, and it still happens....hmm, conundrum!

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is a zealot like a priest from WoW? If so, I wouldn't mind having that as my main. I was an arms warrior in wow but I always envied the support classes for some reason (probably because there wasn't such a dichotomy between their pvp and pve role).

Hoz on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is the torrent linked the one from the Closed Beta, or is it the Open Beta one?

Also, can an European Key access the American servers? Because if that's the case, I just might end up registering the European Key instead of waiting another 24 hours for a reply on my ticket... which might not come until Monday. :(

aunsoph on
    edited September 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Is a zealot like a priest from WoW? If so, I wouldn't mind having that as my main. I was an arms warrior in wow but I always envied the support classes for some reason (probably because there wasn't such a dichotomy between their pvp and pve role).

I would say either Zealot, RunePriest, Shaman or ArchMage if you want to stand a bit back and support your group. Z/RP is a bit purer whereas Shaman/AM can do more damage and bad things to the enemies while they're healing.

Timmer on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, since I'm going to destruction, I guess it will be zealot. How's the disciple of khaine work?

Hoz on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Well, since I'm going to destruction, I guess it will be zealot. How's the disciple of khaine work?

Like an evil warrior priest. You heal with mana which you gain by using moves that whack stuff.

Rend on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can any Shaman players tell me if Gork Sez Stop has changed with the most recent patch? Wardb has it listed as 80 damage over 2 seconds now. As one might expect, the official forums are up in arms about it but some of them are saying Wardb is all wonky right now so I figured I'd try to find someone in-game to clear it up.

Vi Monks on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, what's the consensus on the Magus after their buff? I've got one to 8 so far and he seems a little so-so to me. The damage from me and my pet combined is decent, not great, but doesn't seem like enough to compensate for the setup process(2 seconds and half my AP) and range restriction. I don't really have any utility spells yet either. Am I missing something?

Zek on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My store just got our preorder stuff and now I have to wait 100 minutes to download the damn client. D:

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • acwingacwing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Long time lurker, first time blah blah blah...

So I rolled a White Lion on Todbringer because there was a (at the time) big gap in populations there, but I guess it's evened out a bit now. I saw a lot of Goons and a couple Mouths, but I haven't seen any Candymancers yet.

Anyways, I had a question. Those random green/blue/etc drops that trigger the loot rolls in scenarios? Do they show up the same for everyone? i.e. Would I see WL specific gear where a BW would see a staff or something? The reason I ask was because some nice WL boots dropped, I rolled need, but a Rune Priest won 'em. So I was curious if my boots got ninja'd or not.

acwing on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just saw a t6m guy, but still haven't ran into any candymancers either. Muggs, I think it was I saw.

Edit: Are Candymancer engineers, Chocloteers?

piL on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    acwing wrote: »
    Anyways, I had a question. Those random green/blue/etc drops that trigger the loot rolls in scenarios? Do they show up the same for everyone? i.e. Would I see WL specific gear where a BW would see a staff or something? The reason I ask was because some nice WL boots dropped, I rolled need, but a Rune Priest won 'em. So I was curious if my boots got ninja'd or not.

It depends on the item. If it's a finished item, it's class specific and the RP was the typical lootwhore.

There are repairable item drops too though. Those can be for more than one class.

grrarg on
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess I'll be the one Candymancer running around because I'm about to play right.....now.

Work was pretty cool today though.

Munacra on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sounds like it, though there is a defense for that person. In -THAT- game if it's of your armour class you can wear it, no class restrictions. But in WAR gear does have usually class or at least realm restrictions. People will need to get that kind of mindset. You could have whispered that Runepriest and mentioned the fact that it said Bright Wizard only, and if you could have it.

On another note: Fuckshit.

I'm not sure what would be faster, the torrent or this download from Fileplanet. Been waiting for... fuck, longer then an hour to download it and it's saying it'll take eight hours. It's currently downloading at about 320-360 KB/sec. Didn't figure the damn thing would be this big.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So let me get this right, this is just another preview weekend?

And someone else asked it-anyone have specifics on *when* it starts on Sunday?

Crayon on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    can anybody tell me what witch hunter plays like?

right now i have my class selection down to- witch hunter, bright wizard, and archmage.

i'm generally a DPS type guy, but archmage sounded pretty interesting survivability wise. i generally tend toward the classes that require the most individual player skill, which is why archmage looked interesting.

i'm so conflicted! :(

halp

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The main problem with WAR class selection is that all the classes are a lot fun and you will never stick to a main.

Munacra on
  • LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

right now i have my class selection down to- witch hunter, bright wizard, and archmage.

i'm generally a DPS type guy, but archmage sounded pretty interesting survivability wise. i generally tend toward the classes that require the most individual player skill, which is why archmage looked interesting.

halp

I picked Archmage because it seemed to benefit the most from skill and the least from rarbashmuttons.

I was pleased with my choice.

Leemo on
  • acwingacwing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ah I see, thanks guys. I'm having fun meeting some of you Mouths head on in Nordenwatch, but I'm still trying to learn my class.

@ Xenocide Geek:
    I haven't spent too much time with the Witch Hunter, but they seem kind of similar to WoW Rogues in that they have 5 combo points which build up to a finisher. There's less of a reliance on stealth (I think) and they have a few ranged attacks with their pistol. They can dish out a ton of damage, but are a little squishy. I dunno, I'm sure someone else with more experience can elaborate better.

acwing on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    acwing wrote: »
    Ah I see, thanks guys. I'm having fun meeting some of you Mouths head on in Nordenwatch, but I'm still trying to learn my class.

@ Xenocide Geek:
    I haven't spent too much time with the Witch Hunter, but they seem kind of similar to WoW Rogues in that they have 5 combo points which build up to a finisher. There's less of a reliance on stealth (I think) and they have a few ranged attacks with their pistol. They can dish out a ton of damage, but are a little squishy. I dunno, I'm sure someone else with more experience can elaborate better.

Much less reliance on stealth. It has a 1 minute cooldown, 30 second maximum duration and it drains your AP while you use it.

Plus the more combo points you have the less your finisher costs (20% per point, free 5pt. finishers).

Oats on
  • Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Leemo wrote: »

halp

I picked Archmage because it seemed to benefit the most from skill and the least from rarbashmuttons.

I was pleased with my choice.

I was a little confounded by the targeting with the Archmage. Having to dish out damage and heal at the same time is pretty hard when you can never click the guy you mean to.

Chad Sexington on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    once, again I would love to re state, fuck all you all who are in the PW group today and tomorrow...Sunday can't get here fast enough. WAR and and...NFL football. Its going to be a good day on sunday :d

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

This discussion has been closed.