As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR]OPEN BETA! WAAAAAAAGGHHHH!

GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
If your Beta code is being rejected by the beta registration site try changing the os Os and 0s to Qs. It may have been a misprint

WARHAMMER ONLINE: AGE OF RECKONING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY
That should be all we need in way of introduction, at this point.

Penny Arcade currently has two active guilds:

Candymancers on Order, a nascent pack of Sigmar-fondlers, pretenders to the Phoenix Crown, and stunties.
The Six Mouths on Destruction, a useless mob of ne'er-do-wells and vile miscreants.

For Open beta, both of these guilds are on Todbringer. Once there, either /who candymancers or /who the six mouths to find a member and ask to join or /chan candymancers or /chan thesixmouths (or whatever TSM's channel is called), and a guild representative will be right with you!

For those interested in playing, important dates are:

- September 6th: Preview Weekend+ A head start for those in the last one for Open Beta
- September 7th: Open Beta begins. This will be available to all preorders.
- September 14th or 15th: Headstart begins for preorder customers. CE preorders will likely be a day or so earlier.
- September 18th: WAR is released.

BOTH THE SIX MOUTHS AND CANDYMANCERS WILL BE PLAYING ON TODBRINGER FOR PW+ AND OB

For more information, watch the podcasts.

For PA impressions, and whatnot, check out the WAR FAQ thread.

Adding this by request, and because it's generally kickass and useful.
Akira wrote: »
Alright since this seems to bring up a lot of questions I have compiled an FAQ and location guide for the first two tiers of Renown gear.

Renown Gear and You: What is it and where do I get it?

"Renown Gear" is armor and weapons you can buy from certain vendors that has both a level and Renown rank requirement, usually the Renown rank requirement is about 2/3rds of your actual level (so it would take level 9 and Renown rank 6 for example). Also, as of September 7th, some T2 Renown gear has the wrong stats (the Magus at least) and this will presumably be fixed in the future (hopefully soon). The 10/6 gear from the last preview weekend is gone, it was intended for use in an old test phase and was left in accidentally. Similar gear is available now from 11/7 to 16/11

Where to get it:

The first number refers to level requirement, the second is Renown rank requirement (i.e. 11/7 means you need level 11 and Renown rank 7). The "sets" aren't really sets and don't have bonuses or anything but they represent a loose tiering of gear. Common is "white" gear, Uncommon is "green" gear.

T1 Zones
the first "set" is sold in both the starter quest hub area and the Warcamp, while the second set is sold only at the Warcamp.

First "set"

2/1: Boots (Common)

3/2: Gloves and Accessory 1 (Common)

4/2: Belt, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Common)

5/3: Body and Accessory 3 (Common)

Second "set"

6/4: Boots (Uncommon)

7/4: Gloves and Accessory 1 (Uncommon)

8/5: Belt, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

9/6: Body and Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

T2 Zones
bought at the top floor of PvP area Keeps.

First "set"

11/7: Boots (Uncommon)

12/8: Gloves and Belt (Uncommon)

13/9: Shoulders and Accessory 1 (Uncommon)

14/9: Body, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

15/10: Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

16/11: Helm (Common)

Second "set"

16/11: Boots (Uncommon)

17/11: Gloves and Belt(Uncommon)

18/12: Shoulder and Accessory 1(Uncommon)

19/13: Helm, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

20/14: Body and Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

21/14: Cloak (Common)

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
GalagaGalaxian on

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That is a terrible thread title, the server downtime isn't THAT bad :|

Ledneh on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just woke up, what?

Ah. No servers. Yay!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How long do these typically last?

Foolish Chaos on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll change it to something funny and/or witty when I think of it.*

It was funny to me at the time, considering I was in the middile of a scenario and this cheerful little box pops up saying that.

*disclaimer: GalagaGalaxian is neither funny nor witty.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Once the servers are back, what Candymancers are on that can invite?

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Should rename it

TSM: 1 Candymancers: 0

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Leemo wrote: »
    TetraRay wrote: »
    I'm so confused, which one do we post in now?o_O

Post to both!

Like this!

Leemo on
  • TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hillean wrote: »
    Should rename it

Need a whole scenario of just TSM's and CM's

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
    edited September 2008
    Should rename it

And how many TSM members were in that scenario? There was like... 4 of us and a ton of idiot pubbies. :?

Also, we were winning that second one before the server died. :P

GalagaGalaxian on
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Should rename it

We really need to get something like this done before the end of the Open Beta. Alternatively, get all of us in some obscure PvP location to duke it out.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited September 2008
    Should rename it

Yeah, that particular scenario was extra-fun... maybe we should reconsider putting TSM/Candy on different servers.

I could actually feel a NEED to win, other than just 'well we ought to win cuz thats good and all'.

And I could nearly taste the tears of the fallen... mmmm so sweet

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Except SOME of us want to play with both, and are irritated with the current situation.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Should rename it

Yeah, that particular scenario was extra-fun... maybe we should reconsider putting TSM/Candy on different servers.

I could actually feel a NEED to win, other than just 'well we ought to win cuz thats good and all'.

And I could nearly taste the tears of the fallen... mmmm so sweet

Very true, nothing like seeing a TSM running at you and then there being an overwhelming urge to try and kill it

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Game is closed my ass.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Except SOME of us want to play with both, and are irritated with the current situation.

True that.

Also, unless something changes, there is a ton more organization on Destruction side right now in terms of guilds, so open field RvR may be difficult.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah, does sort of suck. I was going to play Order until Sunday when buddies get in the OB. Oh well.

Accualt on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Free Open beta Keys from MMORPG.com while they last.

http://www.mmorpg.com/betas/war_beta.cfm

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So that free beta key website nonsense takes 15 minutes to send you an email to activate when you register for a new account. D:

EDIT: Yes, that one.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    you know the game is gonna be big when you have people fighting to make the OP

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008
    There was no fight, the battle was already won in my favor when I hit "post". 8-)

GalagaGalaxian on
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Someone asked how the Magus was post recent tweakage in the other thread. I haven't played since then but I can reiterate what I've seen from the feedback thread:

Basically the Magus seems much improved but the class seems to require a play style adjustment for what many were expecting to do a good job. At first posters said that the class was too weak and useless. Eventually people started speaking up that they could definitely get in to the tops of the damage charts but it required playing aggressively and not standing in the back playing nuker. It appears the class is best at running up into the fray, DOTing everyone and maybe using some of the melee range moves then trying to head back to safety before being killed.

The devs have said they're happy (but not 100% happy) with where the Engi/Magus is currently and it looks like one of those classes that will take a bit to get used to but expect some good players to be effective with the class. Also, the other caveat is it takes a bit to get going and really come into its own. My guess is it just needs a good toolkit for it to shine unlike some classes that you give it a fireball and you're good to go.

Hope that helps -- I think it looks like a fun class (and had fun playing it in previous versions even if I don't think the demon mechanic fits a guy flying on a disc) :)

Timmer on
  • dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To make a number of fixes based on your feedback, we are bringing down all of the servers (except Tyrion as it’s already been updated) down at 8:40 PM EDT. The servers are expected to return around 10:30 PM EDT. Keep up the great work and with your help we’re confident Open Beta and launch will be an experience to remember!

guess i'll go play tf2

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
    edited September 2008
    dnilb wrote: »
    To make a number of fixes based on your feedback, we are bringing down all of the servers (except Tyrion as it’s already been updated) down at 8:40 PM EDT. The servers are expected to return around 10:30 PM EDT. Keep up the great work and with your help we’re confident Open Beta and launch will be an experience to remember!

guess i'll go play tf2

If tyrion's up, why can't I log in lol

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So that free beta key website nonsense takes 15 minutes to send you an email to activate when you register for a new account. D:

EDIT: Yes, that one.
    The keys aren't going that fast... so it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't spread this around.

Hoz on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There was no fight, the battle was already won in my favor when I hit "post". 8-)

Did I just hit the quote button? Damn it! You are lucky I have terrible aim since I was going for the infraction one.

Accualt on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    :shock: I'm......in the Preview Weekend. Holy Shit.

So I finally got some confirmation that my CE codes will allow me to use an SE retail key, so I just put them in. I didn't know Preview Weekend was part of the CE. I still have about 3 hours of the client download to go, and then patching that. So I might not get in till tomorrow.

Destruction classes, what should I play? I know I'm making a shaman. Only thing I don't want so far is a Witch Elf or Marauder.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

Did I just hit the quote button? Damn it! You are lucky I have terrible aim since I was going for the infraction one.

D:

I was only kidding. *cowers* :P

GalagaGalaxian on
    edited September 2008
    The name Todbringer makes me think of Sarah Palin's husband.

Hoz on
    edited September 2008
    Ugh, having some wierd issues with it right now. Basically, I hit the warpatch icon and it goes into a cycle where I log in, it goes to the patch area thingy, then makes me log in again. And the process starts over.

I hit the WAR icon and I get to the loading screen and it freezes with a critical error. I think some of the files are jumbled. If I uninstall and hit "Play" on download manager, it will just do a quick reinstall on my comp right? No hours and hours of downloading again right?

Foolish Chaos on
    edited September 2008
    Ugh, having some wierd issues with it right now. Basically, I hit the warpatch icon and it goes into a cycle where I log in, it goes to the patch area thingy, then makes me log in again. And the process starts over.

I hit the WAR icon and I get to the loading screen and it freezes with a critical error. I think some of the files are jumbled. If I uninstall and hit "Play" on download manager, it will just do a quick reinstall on my comp right? No hours and hours of downloading again right?

this is happening to everyone, the servers are down for emergency maintenance

from the herald:

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    its down again :(

Munacra on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    are the servers still down or what? damnit, finally home and I want to get my torture and blood on!

harblaghglaghag damnit

oh well i guess i'll just have to stay up super late tonight.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
    edited September 2008

this is happening to everyone, the servers are down for emergency maintenance

Oh, thought someone had said they were back up. Also wouldent think that freezing and critical errors went along with server maintenance. Cant even see the server page.

Foolish Chaos on
  • TuesdayTuesday Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

guess i'll go play tf2

Quoted for page 2. Well, beaten, but still here.

Tuesday on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Free Open beta Keys from MMORPG.com while they last.

http://www.mmorpg.com/betas/war_beta.cfm

GAHHHH, they're not sending me an activation email for my account.

Anybody who already has beta access and an mmorpg account want to grab me a key?

ghost_master2000 on
    edited September 2008
    Oh, thought someone had said they were back up. Also wouldent think that freezing and critical errors went along with server maintenance.

apparently Tyrion has already been updated and is up but seems like people still can't log in

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
    edited September 2008
    So did most of you go zealot just out of curiosity or is that going to be your main when the game really begins?

Hoz on
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And i was just barely having fun with the archmage.

Munacra on
  • TuesdayTuesday Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, thought someone had said they were back up. Also wouldent think that freezing and critical errors went along with server maintenance.

apparently Tyrion has already been updated and is up but seems like people still can't log in

Todbringer was up for about a minute and a half. They'll probably cycle through a couple of times of being up and down.

Tuesday on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    So did most of you go zealot just out of curiosity or is that going to be your main when the game really begins?

Yeah, this is a good question. The TSM polls have zealot as one of the least populous careers, but there were tons in the guild today (not that that's a bad thing).

Also, sorcs with pocket healers are hilarious. Sagara would run into a group of 5-10 Order and just AE the hell out of them while 2-4 zealots spammed heals. The kill spam was glorious.

grrarg on
This discussion has been closed.