As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A real Strategy/RPG Shining Force game by a respected developer for the DS?! Yes!!

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
There's a new Shining Force game coming out. It's a Strategy/RPG. It's being developed by Flight Plan, makers of the fantastic Summon Night games (a series which is home to some of the finest Strategy/RPGs to never show up in English). It's for the DS. Commence excitement.

"Shining Force Feather is a strategy rpg by Flight Plan. It uses a top down isometric view and turn based unit movement system while on the field, and switches to a side-view action battle system when you encounter enemies. Kinda like a mix of Tales and VP. Everything is 2D. It is due out in Spring of 2009."

th_33442_Shining_Force_Feather_122_760lo.jpg
th_33450_Shining_Force_Feather2_122_187lo.jpg

RainbowDespair on

• cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    /head asplode

Wonder whether we'll get it. Atlus has brought us several Flight Plan games recently, the only problem being that they're the wrong Flight Plan games (i.e., not Summon Night 4 and Dragon Shadow Spell). And I haven't been able to look at a Shining game in years without wanting to cry.

I'm seeing blank space instead of images there.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cjeris wrote: »
    /head asplode

Wonder whether we'll get it. Atlus has brought us several Flight Plan games recently, the only problem being that they're the wrong Flight Plan games (i.e., not Summon Night 4 and Dragon Shadow Spell). And I haven't been able to look at a Shining game in years without wanting to cry.

I'm seeing blank space instead of images there.

That's odd, they're appearing on my browser (Firefox) fine.

RainbowDespair on
  • cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Requesting the image URLs directly yields 404.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2008
    Wasn't Summon Night 2 the only actually good one?

Aroduc on
    edited September 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Wasn't Summon Night 2 the only actually good one?

I've never played SN2, but SN3 is easily my favorite Strategy/RPG. Fun characters, a nice mix between unique character abilities & customization, a cool magic system, colorful visuals, and well designed stages. One of the neatest features about SN3 IMO was that it had a system that rewarded players for not power-leveling: if you got a Brave Clear in a stage (which if I remember correctly required you to beat the stage without anyone dying without taking too long and without using characters with excessive levels), you would gain abilities that you could equip to your party as a whole.

RainbowDespair on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Same and I'm using Firefox too.

Anyway, as happy as I am that Sega is trying to fix Shining Force and make it a SRPG again, I'm still disappointed Camelot isn't involved. Flight Plan seem to be good developers though so hopefully it'll turn out well.

I'm really surprised by how much Sega has improved over the last couple of years. Bringing the Skies of Arcadia team back to work on Valkyria Chronicles, working with Platinum Games (on Bayonetta, Mad World and Infinite Line), buying Creative Assembly (who make the excellent Total War series), getting Bioware to make a Sonic RPG and now, making a SRPG Shining Force.

Now all they need to do is dissolve Team Sonic (because let's be honest, they are an awful studio) and make a real Phantasy Star sequel. Oh and port Shining Force III to the PSP/DS, that'd be awesome.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • LemmyLemmy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't see it either (using Firefox) but I would really like to. I've been hoping for a proper sequel for ages.
    Oh and port Shining Force III to the PSP/DS, that'd be awesome.

That would be awesome.

Lemmy on
  • TheGueroTheGuero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Same and I'm using Firefox too.

Seconded? I concur. Motion passed :!!: Do get on these pictures man. What do you expect me to do with no eye candy? I have a sweet tooth for some sweet pictures. This topic is fail until the pictures come up. Arrr!

TheGuero on
    edited September 2008
    Okay, I edited the image links. Are they showing up for everyone now?

RainbowDespair on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can see them. I'm excited because I'd love another good SRPG but man is that art style awful. Rather, it's not awful but I wish that they would go with the art style from the first two Shining Force games (it was charming and goofy and it's how I'll always remember the series). This won't affect my purchase of the game though, I'm just saying I'd like the old art style.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • roywhitbyroywhitby Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will wait for more info on this. Where is Shining Force 2 for the VC by the way? They said it was coming out months ago!

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now all they need to do is dissolve Team Sonic (because let's be honest, they are an awful studio) and make a real Phantasy Star, and Phantasy Star Online sequel. Oh and port Shining Force III to the PSP/DS, that'd be awesome.
    Omission repaired.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is, as the kids say, revelant to my interests. I have nothing but fond memories of the first two SFs and what little I played of SF CD; the GBA expand-o-port of SF1 felt very lopsided since the new characters just steamrolled everything else in the game.

I'm still rather surprised the DS isn't home to a large stable of top-tier strategy RPGs, but I'm willing to wait for greatness.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Considering one of the first time I can remember swearing was during SF2 when the Titan (probably the wrong name) fight started and all you saw of the enemy was his foot he was that big, paired with a life bar starting with colors I had never seen before (enemy life bars went down in phases, clear away all the green, then yellow, then once they got all the way into red they died, so the further away from yellow the lifebar was the more hp they had), this excites me.

I am surprised nobody has created a rpg maker like system for shining force games yet, adding in custom characters and battlefields, hopefully with netplay.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the Summon Night series is great and all, and I'm anxious for the DS remake of the PS games to see a US release, but I don't think Flight Plan could be necessarily described as "legendary" ...

inthegray on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Considering one of the first time I can remember swearing was during SF2 when the Titan (probably the wrong name) fight started and all you saw of the enemy was his foot he was that big, paired with a life bar starting with colors I had never seen before (enemy life bars went down in phases, clear away all the green, then yellow, then once they got all the way into red they died, so the further away from yellow the lifebar was the more hp they had), this excites me.

I am surprised nobody has created a rpg maker like system for shining force games yet, adding in custom characters and battlefields, hopefully with netplay.

Talos WAS a bitch. I wholeheartedly agree with you there.

MechMantis on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A real, honest-to-goodness Shining Force game for once? I'm stunned.

Now all we need is a real Phantasy Star.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't think this is enough evidence to assume this will be a good Shining Force game.... although I welcome all attempts to make a good one, even if they usually end up somewhat disappointing me.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2008
    inthegray wrote: »
    the Summon Night series is great and all, and I'm anxious for the DS remake of the PS games to see a US release, but I don't think Flight Plan could be necessarily described as "legendary" ...

Maybe he means legendary as in "like a map's legend."

I could get behind that categorization.

Aroduc on
    edited September 2008
    They made at least one legendary game (Summon Night 3) and their other games tend to be held in high regard, hence they're a legendary developer in my book. Can you name a better developer of Strategy/RPGs? NIS Strategy/RPGs tend to be grindfests & Square-Enix Strategy/RPGs tend to be horribly unbalanced.

RainbowDespair on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2008
    They made at least one legendary game (Summon Night 3) and their other games tend to be held in high regard, hence they're a legendary developer in my book. Can you name a better developer of Strategy/RPGs? NIS Strategy/RPGs tend to be grindfests & Square-Enix Strategy/RPGs tend to be horribly unbalanced.

Oho!

Intelligent Systems, Quest, Banpresto, Success, Sting, Monolith, Sega, Falcom, Kogado, Werk (that's right, I went there), Flight-Plan.

Was this a trick question, or did you want to speak to someone more clueless?

Aroduc on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Legendary is the new middling.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
    edited September 2008
    Okay, seeing as apparently I'm the only one who likes Flight-Plan, the thread title has been changed accordingly.

RainbowDespair on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They've been shovelling out Shining Forces games on the PS2 for years now, and they were definitely moving in this direction. Not surprising, but seeing how mediocre the others were I wouldn't be hopeful.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

Oho!

Intelligent Systems, Quest, Banpresto, Success, Sting, Monolith, Sega, Falcom, Kogado, Werk (that's right, I went there), Flight-Plan.

Was this a trick question, or did you want to speak to someone more clueless?

Who the hell are Werk?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sorry to derail the thread. please, more chat about shining force!

the official (japanese) site opened

inthegray on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Swordcraft Story and Twin Age got me into Flight Plan games and I support anything they make that comes stateside.

Maybe Atlus will allow us to visit that place we remember, Ancient Castle, if they localize it.

DualEdge on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Woah, a "real" Shining Force game? That would rock.

I'd also like a real Ogre Battle DS game please. Or a PC Clone.

KiTA on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Bump

Promo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7obaHMqwME

Hellllllllllllloo VP ripoff.

Not that that doesn't intrigue me.

Aroduc on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Hello again, SFF thread that I seem to be the only person who cares about.

シャイニング・フォース フェザー オープニングムービー!

Hee hee. Just seeing the title makes me laugh at Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRlT2CFcYsg

Aroduc on