As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Nova Series: Post-Annihilation Badassery

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Graphic Violence
First off, I'll preface this by saying that if you're not reading Annihilation, something is wrong with you. It has been unbelievably kick ass, so much so that I think that they could probably spin several books out of it instead of just this new Nova series (a Ronan/Super Skrull mini would be godly). For you heathens that haven't read it, just know that Nova is extremely powerful now because he's the last Nova Corps Centurion, and he's been the leader of the forces opposed to the Annihilation Wave. He's been "forged in fire", so to speak, so this isn't going to be the same Nova that you've known before.

Also, he totally nailed Gamorra. :winky:

With that said, Nova gets a new book after the end of Annihilation. He's more powerful than ever and now he's also the last peacekeeper in a galaxy that's in disarray after a brutal war. With the power vacuum encouraging all sorts of bad guys to step in, Nova's got his work cut out for him trying to deal with them all. Oh, and there's the little detail of the Xandarian Worldmind, which now resides in his head, constantly pressuring him to re-establish the Nova Corps. And, of course, he has a little something to say about the whole CW thing, especially where it concerns the New Warriors.

I can't stress enough how much I'm looking forward to this series. Annihilation has singlehandedly gotten me back interested in the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe. If Nova is only half as badass as the event was, it's going to be awesome.

Wikipedia article on Annihilation for you heathens that haven't read it.

Newsarama's interview with the writers.

Ooh look! Pictures! (shamelessly stoled from Newsarama)

NOV001002.jpg

NOV001004.jpg

NOV001005.jpg

NOV001006.jpg

NOV001007.jpg

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always though Nova was lame. Turns out I was a 'tard. But reading one issue of New Warriors ruined him for me until I picked up some of the Annihilaiton books.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm glad one of the new Warriors is getting some respect.

Wonder what it'll be like when he inevitably confronts Penance. I imagine they'll have to fight.

robosagogo on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Malkor wrote:
    I always though Nova was lame. Turns out I was a 'tard. But reading one issue of New Warriors ruined him for me until I picked up some of the Annihilaiton books.

Same, I read some stories with him in it a long time ago and thought he sucked. Annihilation totally changed my mind about that. Im looking foreward to his new series, smoking man breasts and all.

And yes wwtMask, Super Skrull and Ronan should get their own book...it would be soooo nice.

Marathon on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    Malkor wrote:

Same, I read some stories with him in it a long time ago and thought he sucked. Annihilation totally changed my mind about that. Im looking foreward to his new series, smoking man breasts and all.

I figure the writers just got together and said "let's take badass characters and, if possible, make them even badassier than before." Mission accomplished, good sirs. Mission Accomplished.
    And yes wwtMask, Super Skrull and Ronan should get their own book...it would be soooo nice.

It'd be like Cable and Deadpool, but instead of wisecracks and shenanigans, Ronan and Super Skrull would just beat the shit out of people. Oh, and Praxagora would electrocute bitches.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:

It'd be like Cable and Deadpool, but instead of wisecracks and shenanigans, Ronan and Super Skrull would just beat the shit out of people. Oh, and Praxagora would electrocute bitches.
    Marathon wrote:
    My fav of the week would be Annihilation, just so much awesome in this one. At this point im considering launching some sort of campaign to get Super Scrull and Ronan their own book like Cable and Deadpool.

You and me man, same wavelength.
    I immagine the wisecracks would still be there, just that they would make them back and forth to each other like they have been. Sort of like a galactic odd couple.

Marathon on
  • tehfalconertehfalconer moonrocks in my noseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:

Marathon wrote:
    My fav of the week would be Annihilation, just so much awesome in this one. At this point im considering launching some sort of campaign to get Super Scrull and Ronan their own book like Cable and Deadpool.

You and me man, same wavelength.
    I immagine the wisecracks would still be there, just that they would make them back and forth to each other like they have been. Sort of like a galactic odd couple.
    Exactly, I thought the same thing during the last issue. The possibilities are endless :lol:

I also can't wait to see if he does anything about the CW or the aftermath.

tehfalconer on
    ... you will be the falcon, and I shall remain... The Falconer!
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hmm, doesn't a Nova miniseries kinda disprove the popular theory that Civil War: The Return would feature Nova returning and becoming Captain Marvel? I seem to remember that was the most popular theory as to what The Return would involve, yet Nova certainly doesn't seem terribly Captain Marvelly in this miniseries.

Hmm!

Bob The Monkey on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My current theory, and it may be pretty out there, is that both Genis-Vell and Gravity will come back in Civil War:The Return, but it will be Gravity comming back with cosmic awarness and the nega bands. Genis will be the Rick Jones to his Captain Marvel and they will go on merry adventures.

Although it could be the same duo but w/ reverse roles that i just described.

Now this is just wild theory so who knows.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Genis will be the Rick James to his Captain Marvel and they will go on merry adventures.

I kinda prefer your post the way I read it.

Bob The Monkey on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Genis will be the Rick James to his Captain Marvel and they will go on merry adventures.

I kinda prefer your post the way I read it.

He'll do lots of coke and beat women?

Furu on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wonder if they're gonna do anything to depower nova a little at the end of annihilation. I mean, assuming he takes down the super-charged annihilus in the next issue, he'll be on a power-level completely removed from everyone else in the galaxy. It'd be hard to find people that give him a believable challenge. Thanos' mini comes to mind, when he took down both the beyonder and galactus within the first 12 issues... Still, I'll pick up the book. Annihilation has been great enough that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for atleast 6-12 issues.
    (BTW, I loved the thanos mini... it's just that they ran out good competition too fast)

Oh, and a Ronan/Super-Skrull idea? ...YES!!
    I can NEVER get enough super-skrull!

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Im guessing any Nova series will start with him reviving the Nova Corps. So all that power will be spread out. Isn't this the second time he's been the only Nova?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think the series will actually start with him 'arguing' with the Worldmind about whether or not to reconstitute the Corps straight away. It sounds like he may only do that very gradually.

Wildcat on
  • awesome_andyawesome_andy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reading the newest Annihilation mad me wonder how Rhonion or super skrull ever got beat by the fantastic four.

awesome_andy on