As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Like a thing unto iron!

• spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    august wrote: »
    I though Orson was into Opium. Note heroin.

Orson was too much man for one drug.

spudlyff8fan on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heroin is made from opium.

Sharp101 on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, really it's probably any opiate. Seriously, this is intro neurofistology.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Let me guess: It disrupts his chi, and thus his connection to the Iron Fist, which is how he and Danny and the others were tracled down.

They didn't really elaborate. They just implied that Orson's love of drugs was what kept him off the "I kill you" chart of mister two face.

Well, it's been done in mystical/magic stories like Iron Fist's before. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Crimsondude on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    So all Danny has to do is become a junkie

Me Too! on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wiggins what happened to your name?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wiggins what happened to your name?

Tube did it after a coin toss

Canada_jezus on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh right that's awesome.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Random question:

So my little bro and I are thinking about being Danny Rand and Orson Randall for halloween, is this a good idea y/n

Prospicience on
    edited September 2008
    Yes.
    Me Too! wrote: »
    So all Danny has to do is become a junkie

Well, if Dr. Strange wasn't all fucked up and on a walkabout I imagine he could muddle up and redirect the connection through some mystical proxy servers to keep Danny hidden while in possession of (most) of his (apparently now vast) Iron Fist powers.

But he's not. So Danny's just going to have to kill the motherfucker.

Luckily, though, if Orson is an example he can stay in an opium haze for decades and the moment he taps back into the power of the Fist he'll have kicked the habit.

OBTW, Danny will be in Daredevil #111 according to the IGN preview.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    I don't know
    This is all bullshit speculation, but I don't think Strange would be able to dick with Danny's chi
    Also that would be the most cop-out way of doing it. We've had one guy hide already who didn't use his powers, and something tells me that not using his powers was part of what kept him safe
    Danny being like "Yeah I'm hiding but check out this shit!" would be pretty lame

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    Well, my first inclination is that he should just kill the fucker.

But come on. It's comic book magic, which by its very nature is just as much nonsense as D&D shit. Except without the Chick tracts.

Crimsondude on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know
    This is all bullshit speculation, but I don't think Strange would be able to dick with Danny's chi
    Also that would be the most cop-out way of doing it. We've had one guy hide already who didn't use his powers, and something tells me that not using his powers was part of what kept him safe
    Danny being like "Yeah I'm hiding but check out this shit!" would be pretty lame

Actually in New Avenger's 34, he makes it sound like he could do something, but tells Danny it's not right for him to mess with Danny's power or his own to ensure neither of them ever lose them. After he dies there will eb another Sorcerer Supreme, after Danny dies there will be another Iron Fist.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    Danny hiding or Strange messing with his chi feels like a cop-out, is my biggest problem
    The motherfucker punched a train to death, hiding is not his style
    Especially when the dragon dude has his students hostage

Me Too! on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, really it's probably any opiate. Seriously, this is intro neuroironfistology.
    I'm inclined to think so too. Actually, I'd be surprised if the storyline was as simple that. I'm expecting a twist.

Nartwak on
    edited September 2008
    Danny hiding or Strange messing with his chi feels like a cop-out, is my biggest problem
    The motherfucker punched a train to death, hiding is not his style
    Especially when the dragon dude has his students hostage

It's not hiding. It's a tactical redirection until he can kill the dude. Basically super-magic-stealth.

Back when I gamed (Which I am remiss in discussing except that it led to me creating a novelization of my last campaign), I had two friends run a mini-game as part of a much larger scenario as Player and GM. The Player--Zack--was a magician who found himself facing down a more powerful foe with a much more advanced mastery of precognition. In effect, he'd shut Zack way the fuck down any time he tried to do something that might work against The Lamb (the bad guy). So Zack undergoes a very intensive ritual in which he rewrites his fate. It began with a premise that peoples' lives are like the garden in Destiny's realm in Sandman--a straight path behind them, and ahead of them is an endless hedge row maze. Well, the premise was that the line looks straight, but it's really the culmination of all of the turns and decisions made in the maze before a particular instant. And the "equation" for that tends to predict future lines, so that it is not in effect endless, but it just looks that way from a person's point of view. Did I mention that the GM was a physics professor? Yeah, that's kind of important.

Well, The Lamb happened to have tapped into Zack's equation (he rolled really well), and while he never killed Zack pre-ritual, he came close. Although he wasn't really trying. He just wanted Zack to stay out of his way as he led a low-level ethnic cleansing campaign in the south Pacific.

So Zack went on his little walkabout (as it was in Australia with an Aborigine guide) and rewrote the equation. And in the process he was nearly killed, but it worked. It was a slight tweak, but it was enough. And so Zack returned to the island, and did what he had to (which was actually just to rescue some Americans) without The Lamb being able to pre-empt his attempts as he had before the ritual. It's such a shame this was all recorded online until the server crashed.

As this applies to Danny, it's more like the proxy thing. But the point isn't to hide. The point is to use the advantage, because eventually this guy is going to be able to trace the lines from K'un Lun to Danny no matter what, in order for Danny to kill him. And in the process hopefully gain an advantage similar to Zack's where his every move isn't being predicted and countered beforehand.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    I read about the last paragraph of it and that makes sense
    But still
    Tactical redirection don't seem his style as much as "punch that shit to death" does

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, but that got him all fucked up last time.

Fuck, man. He's not fighting giant anthropomorphic vegetables anymore. He needs some of that chi-powered brain boosting Bei had.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    Listen if his fist can stop a train full of explosives
    It can stop some pussy dragon bitch

Me Too! on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would just point out that it is possible every Iron Fist said something along those lines. Just before it killed them.

Wildcat on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah well they weren't Danny
    Orson was a bitch. Fucking ran and hid
    The fact that he probably lived because of his drugs is kinda rockin' but he's still a bitch

Me Too! on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I need it confirmed that Bang Bei Wen didn't get killed by this guy, because he gave up the power of Shou Lao, right?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited September 2008
    The only Iron Fist to survive was Orson
    We kinda got that confirmed this month

Me Too! on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, but that's the thing: Bei Bang Wen wasn't the Iron Fist anymore after he gave up the power.

Also, as painful as it'd be to watch, I'd love a one shot detailing how this guy took out the couple of Iron Fists that we've learned about so far. The fight with Wu Ao Shi was probably epic.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We don't know how many Fists gave up their powers and retired. The Bei one-shot calls the whole history of the Iron Fists, as laid out in the Book, into question.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2008
    I just want the new Orson book to come out
    They should make an Orson Randall quarterly book about his pulp exploits

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, but Bei was a fucking tool. So really the only thing his story tells us is that he was a horrible Iron Fist in every way and didn't deserve to be called one.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    The guy didn't kill Bei because he was like "nah that would be doing the fuck a favor"

Me Too! on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We don't know how many Fists gave up their powers and retired. The Bei one-shot calls the whole history of the Iron Fists, as laid out in the Book, into question.

Yeah I like the possibility that the Book of Iron Fist is lying to Danny better than the possibility that the writers can't keep their continuity straight less than two years in.
    Yeah, but Bei was a fucking tool. So really the only thing his story tells us is that he was a horrible Iron Fist in every way and didn't deserve to be called one.

He was ok. The perfect strategy mind sounded a shitton cooler before I actually read it. And I thought the Dark Continent was Africa :td

valiance on
    edited September 2008
    I don't get where this is somehow proof that writers like Brubaker and Fraction can't keep continuity straight.

But then again, I'm not hell-bent on trying to prove how much smarter I am than them either. I'm just reading the book.

Crimsondude on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When we're told outright that all Iron Fists have died at 33 and we can think offhand of one (besides Orson) who doesn't, it seems like a pretty glaring continuity error to me. I'm not gonna drop the book I'm just saying it'll be dumb if they don't address Bei (perhaps the book of Iron Fist is lying, or isn't always right, or isn't omniscient).

valiance on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I need it confirmed that Bang Bei Wen didn't get killed by this guy, because he gave up the power of Shou Lao, right?

Well, that is what was officially stated just a few issues ago. However, it seems this has already been retconned. Then again, the Origin one shot completely failed to mention the Randalls in Danny's family rundown, when for all intents and purposes, Orson was Wendell's adopted father, and Danny's adopted grandfather. So.....maybe the guy didn't do any reading on Bei or Wu, and just stuck with the present day issues. I would chalk that up in the same way Taskmaster has his shitty Skeletor costume again because they flat out didn't bother to look in the current art files where they would have found the awesome Udon design.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    The origin that just came out reprinting his original appearance?

The one that was framed and edited by Matt Fraction?

Yeah, that must have been it. Fraction forgot to ask himself what he wrote.

Anyway, I reject this Bei shit. He died as Iron Fist at 33. He gave up the name, the power, the mystical connection to the dragon's heart. Orson did not. He kept the name. He kept the power. And he kept the ties. That is the difference. It's not rocket science. It's not a continuity error. Bei did not live as Iron Fist past 33. Orson did. That's it.

Crimsondude on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i mean if a dude gives up the mantle of iron fist at 33 or whatever, he's not the iron fist anymore

also, maybe the villain is lying

DouglasDanger on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It says right in the issue about Bei that it was recorded in the Book of the Iron Fists that he died at the battle. All Danny would ever know about Bei is in the book, and the book says he died in the battle. We know that's bullshit, but Danny doesn't.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2008
    We also know that Bei was a giant faggot

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    You know what. Fuck Orson. With Virgin essentially gone now, we need a book on the Indian immortal weapons.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to pretend you didn't make that post
    Going to pretend that for your benefit
    Because if you really said "Fuck Orson" I would be obligated to burn you alive

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to pretend you didn't make that post
    Going to pretend that for your benefit
    Because if you really said "Fuck Orson" I would be obligated to burn you alive

In your imagination.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's impossible to hate a guy who trained in the mystic kung-fu arts and then sets out into the world to play superhero and starts using colt 1911's. Add the extended visits to opium dens and the guy is suddenly a being of pure "win."

Caveman Paws on