As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grenn's stuff - Please give crit on my new site design - page 8

GrennGrenn Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hello all,

When not gaming/working the day job I do a lot of freelance work for bands and labels, screenprinting gigposters etc. but recently did a run of 14 prints which aren't client based and were more for fun.

I guess my style is a mix of illustration and design and most of the work is done as brush and ink, then scanned into Photoshop and/or Illustrator and finished off with the Wacom Tablet. These are then colour seperated, output as transparancies and screenprinted by hand.

My work is currently on exhibtion at a bar here in Leeds -- my first exhibition!
Anyway, let me know what peeps think:

Here's thumbnails of 'em all...
hidens_map.gif

And two of the big, long prints under the spoils:
BOTTLEfin.gifBOXfin.gif

Read more about my shit here: http://www.armyofcats.com/art/hiddens/

Cheers for looking!

Grenn on

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sweetness!

It's cool to see how you've integrated digital and traditional mediums here. And the drawings are fun too.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks, man!

Yeah, I love hand-crafted shit but obviously love computers also, so screenprinting is a good way to 'craftily' output things you've done on the computer.

Grenn on
  • Options
    Fire_FoxFire_Fox Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like your stuff! I am also curious as to what you used to make your dot patterns...

Fire_Fox on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn those are really cool. Great Work!

Veritas on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    These are awesome!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you have some process work it'd be awesome to see something from start to finish.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Where in Leeds?

Jake! on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    fantastic work

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wow, cheers guys, really nice to get a positive response from my work.
    I like your stuff! I am also curious as to what you used to make your dot patterns...

The halftoning: I basically 'paint' layers of grey where I want the halftones to be using the wacom and then convert the grey to a halftone pattern in Photoshop and then clean it up a bit, and repeat/layer as needed.

Other textures: I basically have a folder full of scanned in ink splatters, brush strokes and sheets of badly photocopied paper which I adjust the sharpness and tolerance levels of in order to make a texture which will be suitable for silkscreening.
    If you have some process work it'd be awesome to see something from start to finish.

I have a bunch of process pics from this group of work but have been too busy to put them online BUT I do have a process blog which shows how I've done some of my posters, from sketch, to PC, to screenprinting and the process is pretty much the same.
    Where in Leeds?

I actually do all my printing from a Secret Printing Base in a small town outside of Leeds. The only printing facilities I can find here are University based and I'm not a student, so. PM me if you're interested in where I print or any other details.

Cheers again for the interest all!

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You're fucking great! *lower lip quiver*

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    These are great, and the process is interesting. But, in response to the "Where in Leeds?" question, I think he meant where are they on exhibition..

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Grenn wrote: »
    Where in Leeds?

I actually do all my printing from a Secret Printing Base in a small town outside of Leeds. The only printing facilities I can find here are University based and I'm not a student, so. PM me if you're interested in where I print or any other details.

Hey Gren, I mean which bar? I live in Leeds, so I figured I'd go check it out. How much are you selling prints for?

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    Where in Leeds?

Hey Gren, I mean which bar? I live in Leeds, so I figured I'd go check it out. How much are you selling prints for?

Ah sorry man -- I always assume people are trying to get into my Secret Printing Base...

They're on the walls in The Reliance, Bar & Restaurant on North Street. The details (including a link to a map) are all here: www.armyofcats.com/art/hiddens/

Food in the Reli is ace, and they do lovely beers also. The prints are £20 (and £30 for the long ones) but if there's any you're interested in, PM me and I'd be happy to offer a special PA Reader discount.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey Grenn, saw your stuff in the Reliance last night, really wicked in the flesh. I'm thinking of buying one for my girlfriend, she's off back to have a look at some point so I'll let you know which after she's had a look.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey Grenn, saw your stuff in the Reliance last night, really wicked in the flesh. I'm thinking of buying one for my girlfriend, she's off back to have a look at some point so I'll let you know which after she's had a look.

Awesome, cheers for checking it out. It'll be coming down from the Reli on Sunday the 13th so if you want to go back and look, you'll have to go before then. You can see everything on my site, also.

UPDATE:

The long print (under Spoiler in OP), entitled Bottle Opener, will be on show at Leeds City Art Gallery, as part of their annual Open Show. You had to submit work and the judges picked their favourites and I was lucky to get in! :!:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Here's something new from me -- a poster commission for a rock band called the Melvins, which I will be screenprinting this week.

melvins_cardiff.gif

Comments and criticisms welcomed!

PS: Also, how do I edit the subject title of my thread?

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Awesome, although the type isn't all that easy to read, not enough contrast between the black and pink shadow. Might be okay if they're really huge?

- Edit the title of your opening post in the 'advanced' option.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Awesome, cheers for checking it out. It'll be coming down from the Reli on Sunday the 13th so if you want to go back and look, you'll have to go before then. You can see everything on my site, also.

UPDATE:

The long print (under Spoiler in OP), entitled Bottle Opener, will be on show at Leeds City Art Gallery, as part of their annual Open Show. You had to submit work and the judges picked their favourites and I was lucky to get in! :!:

That's wicked, is it still on?

Jake! on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Been getting into screenprinting myself, and I got to say that your work is great and a huge inspiration.

And you got commisioned by the Melvins!? That's incredible.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been meaning to try some diy screenprinting, but it's insanely troublesome; do you guys use special tools or something or is it pretty much necessary to make every single stencil yourselves?

Also, I like the one that you submitted for the AC challenge the best. I don't know, but I like the halftoning that you did on the trees a lot.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Awesome, although the type isn't all that easy to read, not enough contrast between the black and pink shadow. Might be okay if they're really huge?

Cheers D'bots -- yeah, I should have clarified really, this isn't specifically to advertise the show so the type doesn't need to be super clear (in fact I kinda wanted to make it more obscured than it is).

These are being hand printed, signed and numbered and sold at the gig. They will be a little smaller than A2, so pretty big.
    That's wicked, is it still on?

Ta Jake. The exhibition has finished now, though. It was good, a nice mix of different work and free wine at the opening and all that. :P
    Been getting into screenprinting myself, and I got to say that your work is great and a huge inspiration.

And you got commisioned by the Melvins!? That's incredible.

I'm sincerely glad my work has been of use in getting you into screenprinting -- all the best with your own stuff mate, I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have any.

This is actually my second poster for the Melvins, it's their usual thing to have a 'poster series' for their tours where a different artist produces a poster for each show on the tour. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play again. 8-)

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    sonictk wrote: »
    I've been meaning to try some diy screenprinting, but it's insanely troublesome; do you guys use special tools or something or is it pretty much necessary to make every single stencil yourselves?

Also, I like the one that you submitted for the AC challenge the best. I don't know, but I like the halftoning that you did on the trees a lot.

I know of some people who have a diy setup and produce good results but I don't have the space or the patience for that, so I do all my work in a print studio.

I produce the stencils using photosensitive emulsion and a room with a big UV light to expose the screens. It can be quite a lot of work.

Also, lol at the halftones -- I've had 3 or 4 PA'ers now comment directly on the halftones! They're easy to do, I just use the photoshop filter.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I was thinking that photo emulsion is the best way to go about it.

I was just wondering how sensitive are those sheets though, since I live in a house that doesn't have a windowless room.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking that photo emulsion is the best way to go about it.

I was just wondering how sensitive are those sheets though, since I live in a house that doesn't have a windowless room.

Well, some people expose their screens using sunlight, so it's pretty sensitive. I had one coated screen ruined simply because I accidently carried it through a sunbeam on the way to the dark room!

You can coat the screen easily enough in an adequately shaded room, but it really needs to be in total darkness while it's drying (like in a closed box, or closet).

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the info. :D

Sounds like it's going to be a bitch to print at my house then. :P Ah well.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    BackupharmonicaBackupharmonica Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grenn, I love those two long ones.
    That would be a t-shirt I'd buy.

Backupharmonica on
    It works, bitches.
  • Options
    peteaboda1peteaboda1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grenn, I love those two long ones.
    That would be a t-shirt I'd buy.

I was thinking the same thing. They are great, fun works Grenn.

peteaboda1 on
    AcridMeat.png
  • Options
    MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dude, this stuff is all kinds of sick.

Moss on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks guys! (Also Moss, your name confused me for a second... as the Melvin's manager is called Moss and I was like, "Since when does Moss post on PA?!?")

I printed these at the weekend. It was a long day and I managed to destroy a screen in the process but they came out nice... I've put up some process pics on my Blog, which you can see by clicking below.

melv02.jpg

Oh and regarding those who've mentioned they'd buy a shirt with my work on, I do have some of my own shirts for sale. I've never really given Threadless or D.B.H. a proper go but when I have some time free, I might rework some designs and submit some stuff.

Also, I am still a tard and cannot edit my thread subject. o_O

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    go to the first post, click edit, go advanced, and edit it from there

this is so interesting, i kinda want to get into this, do you know of any good tutorials or books I can read up on screen printing?
    I don't think there's a place around here where I can get it done, is home printing very expensive?

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    go to the first post, click edit, go advanced, and edit it from there

this is so interesting, i kinda want to get into this, do you know of any good tutorials or books I can read up on screen printing?
    I don't think there's a place around here where I can get it done, is home printing very expensive?

This should probably cover it: http://www.squeegeeville.com/ If you are going to buy any book, buy Andy Mac's book.

As for whether it's expensive, it really depends on the level at which you want to print. You could easily make a set up which will print small prints and cards.

You can get a perfectly good 'kitchen table' setup using hingeclamps to lock a screen in place, and a quick blast of adhesive spaymount to keep your paper in place (as opposed to a proper vacuum table).

Or you can build a more permanent setup using these plans: http://monkeyink.com/gigposters/Vac_Table_shirt_plans-Andymac/

The main issue with screenprinting is exposing/drying/washing out the screens. You'll need some form of UV light set up to burn screens; a room where you can let exposed screens dry in total darkness; and a room which you can use a jet wash to clean screens - which will get ink and chemicals everywhere.

These are the three main issues which put me off trying to build a home set up, and why I print at a local studio.

Considering it's such an ancient and 'relatively simple' form of printing, there is still a lot to learn (I am learning new things each and every time I print), and a lot of headaches can be avoided by how you approach a design and seperate the colours.

It's very rewarding because the prints you come away with at the end look 1000x times better than anything printed from a digital printer (you can feel - and smell - the actual ink on there); but it IS hard work and it IS time consuming.

Any other questions, feel free to ask away!

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Newest bit of gigposter work:

nm_smalltext.jpg

This one is just for promotion of the show but I may well rework this to be screenprinted if I get the time...

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's awesome. Really reminds me of another illustrator's work whose name I can't put my finger on. Love the mexican theme.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's awesome. Really reminds me of another illustrator's work whose name I can't put my finger on. Love the mexican theme.

Cheers Jake! You should start to see these around Leeds pretty soon, hopefully....

Grenn on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Major props, I tried screenprinting in highschool and it was an unmitigated disaster, it's a really fucking hard technique to get your head around.

EIDT: Hang on, is it screenprinted or not? Either way it's an awesome design, love the aztec art mixed in.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nah, that's not screenprinted (although I could easily do so, I just don't have time at the moment). I tend to approach all my work with a smaller colour palette as if I were planning to screenprint it, even if it's something which just ends up being digital.

Thanks for the interest!

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    how'd you get that weird spongy looking effect in photronshoppe?
    oh grenn, teach me your neato ways!

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I add a few 'spongy looking' textures which I layer on top (usually set to Multiply but not always) and then I just mess with the Opacity until I'm happy with it.

Then I usually Sharpen the whole image once it's flattened, and the texture really seems to 'bed in' then, rather than 'sit on top'.

I have lots of textures which I've made from scanning in old paper, ink splatters, watercolour paper, etc... I rely pretty heavily on my own textures.

Your own work is pretty textured, though, I would have thought that you're already doing exactly the same thing I do, it's just about the tweaking! :P

Also, I added you on LJ btw....

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I add a few 'spongy looking' textures which I layer on top (usually set to Multiply but not always) and then I just mess with the Opacity until I'm happy with it.

Then I usually Sharpen the whole image once it's flattened, and the texture really seems to 'bed in' then, rather than 'sit on top'.

I have lots of textures which I've made from scanning in old paper, ink splatters, watercolour paper, etc... I rely pretty heavily on my own textures.

Your own work is pretty textured, though, I would have thought that you're already doing exactly the same thing I do, it's just about the tweaking! :P

Also, I added you on LJ btw....

Yeah I do pretty much do the same thing, but I've never seen it made to look so "poppy" and like you said embedded
    neato!
    and i will add you back, huzzar!

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Another gigposter which I'm pretty much done with... though I've put a lot of hours into this one so am still unsure of a couple of things, so any comments would be welcomed.

THS.gif

I'm not sure if I should add anything to the top corners, or leave as it is... o_O

If you know the band's songs, you should be able to spot some of the references.

(Also, for info, I worked a little differently on this one... no scanning; all done on the Wacom)

Grenn on