As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] I Wanna Be The Guy! BONUS SUMMARY VIDEO! (NSF56K)

• maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, that surprise, excellence.

maraxus94 on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That edited-in video in the middle of 6B was the best thing.

Rent on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How many deaths are you up to now?

Craigopogo on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    just saw 6A.

I'm a little concerned! Didn't you just have a kid? Need more stress?

Heh, normally I'd be really stressed out, but the wife had the baby in Dallas, which is about 3 hours from here, for reasons I shan't go into here. She can't come back until she's fully recovered. Meanwhile, I've got school, so I have to be here, but I finished all my homework for the weekend yesterday. Yay responsibility.

EDIT: As far as total deaths, right now it says 344, but it's notoriously wonky about recording them. I'm doing much better than my first time through, though. Recorded deaths are 1344 on my first game. I'm getting close to beating the game, and I'm precisely 1000 deaths short. Odd how that came to such an even number.

EDIT 2: Also, I dunno if anyone noticed, but I actually did say brother fucker this time.

joshofalltrades on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TWATBERRY

I just about choked on my toast when you shouted that. :lol:

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Good job on the lets play so far, you have taught me a couple of new words as well. I can't wait to use twatberry in conversation.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You're most gracious. Be certain to wait to use twatberry until speaking to somebody who tends to get mental images; you want to achieve maximum flavor potential.

One thing I'm attempting -- and I really hope this is coming through -- is that I'm not content to rest on my laurels here. I am trying to make every video better than the previous one. I have literally zero experience with making videos, but I don't do things half-assed. At least I hope it doesn't seem that way.

joshofalltrades on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Maybe you can make sequences out of edits, for example: When you were fighting the Clown Copter Triumvirate, instead of just always skipping to Wiley, why not show the moment of defeat of the first two phases followed by Wiley entering?

Nerdgasmic on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You're most gracious. Be certain to wait to use twatberry until speaking to somebody who tends to get mental images; you want to achieve maximum flavor potential.

One thing I'm attempting -- and I really hope this is coming through -- is that I'm not content to rest on my laurels here. I am trying to make every video better than the previous one. I have literally zero experience with making videos, but I don't do things half-assed. At least I hope it doesn't seem that way.
    I did notice that you seemed to have tried coming up with new, more florid curses for video 6. That's really going the extra mile.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Obviously, gratuitous use of bad language is expected in this game (if you don't cuss from playing this, you are a damned robot), but I applaud josh's self-control concerning playing this game and drinking. See, if I had any booze within 50 feet of me playing this game, I'd end up in the hospital after a couple bad rooms.

My only choice is to not be around booze. Even though YO HO DIDDLY DEE, YOU ARE A PIRATE!

Fantastic.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah that song was great. :lol:

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Trust me, my brother and I have been spouting that song since back when YTMND was cool. That song is the shit.

Mortal Sky on
    edited September 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Maybe you can make sequences out of edits, for example: When you were fighting the Clown Copter Triumvirate, instead of just always skipping to Wiley, why not show the moment of defeat of the first two phases followed by Wiley entering?

I had actually thought about this, but I had a couple of problems. First of all, the sound was off again, which meant I had to separate the audio and video feed and adjust. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, but for every little bit I cut away I had to readjust the audio, which meant that I tried to make the cuts as large as possible. The second problem was that the video was already something like 50 minutes long when I started and I had to pare it down to two < 10 minute videos.

Thank you for the suggestion though, and don't hesitate to throw more out there!
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Trust me, my brother and I have been spouting that song since back when YTMND was cool. That song is the shit.

Huh, it was a YTMND? I just remember it as a song from Lazy Town. Guess I'm out of touch.

joshofalltrades on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't mind this game if the guy actually jumped when I fucking wanted him to, sometimes he's just like ,fuck you, and walks off a platform, sometimes he jumps but doesn't do a double jump for me, if the controls were a little more responsive this game would be amazing.

I fought Tyson and am going through the graveyard part and fuck you I like my bow OK!

I will play on a harder difficulty unless I have an aneurysm first

atat23 on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nice work on the latest videos. I wanted to slam a beer after some of those deaths.

Pemulis on
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    atat23 wrote: »

Seriously though, the tagline for the game should read Aneurysm inducing fun for all ages! A great game, but Christ I've gone through many bottles of vodka (Vladdy bleh) trying to beat this thing. I forsee one of two endings: 1 - I'll get to the end and actually beat this damn thing ... in 10 years ... or 2) My grey matter will splatter all over my monitor.

WilDPanthA05 on
    edited September 2008
    drinking.jpg

I've beaten the game already and it didn't stop me.

joshofalltrades on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't mind this game if the guy actually jumped when I fucking wanted him to, sometimes he's just like ,fuck you, and walks off a platform, sometimes he jumps but doesn't do a double jump for me, if the controls were a little more responsive this game would be amazing.

I fought Tyson and am going through the graveyard part and fuck you I like my bow OK!

It happens constantly to the point of wanting to throw the controller/smash the keyboard.. The problem is with jumping just after falling from the platform edge, and not before it. --you'll hear the click you normally make when jumping -but you wont jump- and when you jump again you get the double jump click and fall to your death. -more often than not, you'll just hear the double jump click-

however if you completely leave the platform and fall then jump, you can still do your second jump.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The answer to that problem is simply to jump a little earlier. Despite what it may seem, there's no jump in the game that requires you to jump from the very edge of the platform.

Rather, you should focus on getting the most out of your jumps by being sure to hold the jump button long enough before you release and press it again for the double jump. I've watched a number of people's videos on youtube and this is by far the most common problem they have; they aren't getting enough distance out of their jumps, thus making certain jumps much harder than they need to be.

Smasher on
    edited September 2008
    hmm, this is the problem then, after years of playing platformers I always wait till the last minute to jump and in this game you can't think a lot of the time you just have to react. When I react I jump at the edge without thinking.

I will keep those tips in mind for the next time I play, though there are so many more fun things I could be doing like cutting my spleen out with a blunt razor while using a hedgehog in the ass as a painkilling suppository.

atat23 on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    AHHAHAHAHAH!! I BEAT YOU, YOU ASS-SUCKING WHORE-BITCH!!! FINALLY!!

My final death count was in the 1440's, but that is a complete lie. I had to have died at least 150 times on the last boss alone. Combined with the other deaths that occurred without saving, I had to have broken two thousand. BUT I WON!

To be fair, 90% of the frustration in this game was my own fault. If I'd had any sense, I would never have started on Hard. I am also 5000% surprised at the end credits not trying to kill you, thus forcing you to refight the final boss and go through all the credits all over again.

I can now rest easy knowing that I am The Guy.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2008

My final death count was in the 1440's, but that is a complete lie. I had to have died at least 150 times on the last boss alone. Combined with the other deaths that occurred without saving, I had to have broken two thousand. BUT I WON!

To be fair, 90% of the frustration in this game was my own fault. If I'd had any sense, I would never have started on Hard. I am also 5000% surprised at the end credits not trying to kill you, thus forcing you to refight the final boss and go through all the credits all over again.

Well, they do try to kill you. It's just that, in a rare moment of mercy, 1) it's easy to avoid if you're paying attention and 2) even if you don't avoid it it still gives you credit for winning.

Smasher on
    edited September 2008
    I must hate myself, because I just downloaded this... :)
    D:

Pemulis on
    edited September 2008
    It's not hate, it's tough love. You need to go through hell (this game) before you understand what heaven (beer) is like.

joshofalltrades on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, when I muster up some more free time I think I might give this game another whirl.

Probably on easy, mainly because I seem to have a lot of issues with the game crashing...anyone know why I might be having these problems?

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, the game crashed three times for me already. :(

I got the frame skip version, maybe I should try the slomo.

Pemulis on
    edited September 2008
    Definitely get the slomo, it's what I use and it hardly ever crashed when in Win 98 Compatibility Mode.

This might be the only game I've ever played that I actually enjoy being frustrated while playing. It's like a zen thing -- eye of the storm. The pure rage that forms is therapeutic.

I'd almost recommend using this game as anger management because it has the tendency to make other enraging issues small and forgettable by comparison. IWBTG is your only target -- hate it, and love it.

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2008
    Ah, Win 98 compatibility mode...

How do I get into that?

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2008
    Smasher wrote: »

Well, they do try to kill you. It's just that, in a rare moment of mercy, 1) it's easy to avoid if you're paying attention and 2) even if you don't avoid it it still gives you credit for winning.

Actually, I was wondering about that. All I saw was
    a single apple/cherry falling down very slowly at the end of the credits (once you get back HOME). Was that the thing that tries to kill you? My guy just kinda walked outta the way. I might've been trying to move him out of the way and not paying attention to what I was doing, but it seemed automatic to me. Or do you just stand there and get crushed if you're not pressing anything?

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2008
    Figured out how to do 98 compatibility.

Now getting my ass kicked by tyson.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2008
    Smasher wrote: »

Actually, I was wondering about that. All I saw was
    a single apple/cherry falling down very slowly at the end of the credits (once you get back HOME). Was that the thing that tries to kill you? My guy just kinda walked outta the way. I might've been trying to move him out of the way and not paying attention to what I was doing, but it seemed automatic to me. Or do you just stand there and get crushed if you're not pressing anything?
    I'm not positive, but I think you just have to hit the key and it auto-walks you to the right place. And yeah, that's what I was referring to.

Smasher on
  • XynnXynn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Over the past 2 days Ive watched the Let's Play videos, and man joshofalltrades, I think I owe you a beer or 6 in return for going through this crap for our entertainment. Well done, but damn, you must like getting punished.

Xynn on
    edited September 2008

Huh, it was a YTMND? I just remember it as a song from Lazy Town. Guess I'm out of touch.

No, it's from Lazytown. It's just that YTMND/SA/4chan made it popular a long time back, and I first heard it on 2005-era YTMND. Needless to say, I immediately found Lazytown to be like the best kid's show in ages.

Mortal Sky on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

No, it's from Lazytown. It's just that YTMND/SA/4chan made it popular a long time back, and I first heard it on 2005-era YTMND. Needless to say, I immediately found Lazytown to be like the best kid's show in ages.

It certainly is the best if you like little girls.

You sicko!

Vic on
    edited September 2008
    Vic wrote: »

You sicko!
    I'm 14. I'm pretty sure Stephanie's actor is older than me.

Mortal Sky on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

You sicko!
    Don't say that shit--quit ruining my fantasies!

Monsty on
    edited September 2008
    Monsty wrote: »

You sicko!
    I do it for the lulz.

Mortal Sky on
    edited September 2008
    Monsty wrote: »

You sicko!
    I do it for the lulz.

001_pics_lazytown.jpg

atat23 on
    edited September 2008
    Xynn wrote: »
    Over the past 2 days Ive watched the Let's Play videos, and man joshofalltrades, I think I owe you a beer or 6 in return for going through this crap for our entertainment. Well done, but damn, you must like getting punished.

What can I say, I like mental anguish. Not enough to turn down free beer though.

joshofalltrades on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    (Call the cops)
    Isn't that supposed to say something like "Do want"? I always mess up these things!

Monsty on