As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An EPIC Tale of CRIME and CORRUPTION in the LAND OF THE DEAD

Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Social Entropy++
grim20fandangoal7.jpg

GRIM FANDANGO, MOFOS

I was driving along the other day when a few tracks from the game's soundtrack came up on my iPod and I realized it's been way too long since I played. Sadly, I appear to have lost my copy of the game the last time I moved, but I had already got to thinking about it and it's been on my mind ever since.

If you don't know what this game is, then I feel bad for you, but here you go:
Wikipedia wrote:
Grim Fandango is a graphic adventure computer game released by LucasArts in 1998 and primarily written by Tim Schafer. It is the first adventure game by LucasArts to use three-dimensional graphics overlayed on pre-rendered 2D computer backgrounds. As with other LucasArts adventure games, the player must converse with other characters and examine, collect, and use objects correctly to solve puzzles in the game in order to progress.

Grim Fandango's world combines elements of Aztec beliefs of afterlife with style aspects of film noir, including The Maltese Falcon, On the Waterfront and Casablanca, to create the Land of the Dead, which recently departed souls, represented in the game as calaca-like figures, must travel through before they reach their final destination, the Ninth Underworld. The story follows travel agent Manuel "Manny" Calavera as he attempts to save Mercedes "Meche" Colomar, a newly arrived but virtuous soul, during her long journey.

Back in the good old days when LucasArts didn't just make dumb Star Wars games, they made stuff like this, with great art direction and one of the most compelling storylines in gaming. So let's talk about this awesome game, and maybe some other LucasArts classics if you want.

It shone pale as bone, as I stood there alone, and I thought to myself how the moon
That night cast its light on my heart's true delight, and the reef where her body was strewn.

Grey Ghost on

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played about halfway through that game and never finished it.

I probably should load it back up one of these days.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!

Or, on the topic of LucasArts in general.

Ooohhhh.....

There's a monkey in my pocket and it's stealing all my change.
    It's stare is blank and glassy-eyed, I fera it is deraaaaaanged.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Day of the Tentacle is where it's at.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For a second I thought this was an EPYC.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A few years ago there was a rumor that some studio had optioned Grim Fandango for a movie adaptation, and that Tim Burton was set to direct it. I still can't decide how that movie would have turned out had it been made.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    A few years ago there was a rumor that some studio had optioned Grim Fandango for a movie adaptation, and that Tim Burton was set to direct it. I still can't decide how that movie would have turned out had it been made.

A musical.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, kiddles!

Check out my bone saw!

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    my copy of this was bugged and unplayable after a certain part

I never forgave computers

Raneados on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Same here, I got to that forest maze thing and the game stopped working.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Orikae is going to be so pissed that you made this thread after he went to bed

Captain K on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is this game still, like, available anywhere? Is it still in print? Because it certainly looks amusing, even if this sort of stuff isn't usually my thing.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I couldn't get into this game because of the controls..

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    this thread is now partly about Brutal Legend

and speaking of which what the HELL TIM SCHAEFER, YOU SAID THERE WILL BE COOL STUFF SHOWN SOON AFTER E3 AND IT'S FUCKING SEPTEMBER

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

and speaking of which what the HELL TIM SCHAEFER, YOU SAID THERE WILL BE COOL STUFF SHOWN SOON AFTER E3 AND IT'S FUCKING SEPTEMBER
    didn't you know? it doesn't have a publisher right now

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I couldn't get into this game because of the controls..
    that may be the dumbest thing i've ever read

and i'm like the only person that bothers replying to Wren sometimes, so the bar has been set high

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

tim doesn't seem too worried about that

but he still promised he would show stuff, why would the publisher status affect that? i'll be happy with a few hi-def screenshots of the main character riding a hot rod and maiming zombies with guitars or something

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

but he still promised he would show stuff, why would the publisher status affect that? i'll be happy with a few hi-def screenshots of the main character riding a hot rod and maiming zombies with guitars or something
    well i just can't imagine they're working too hard on the game right now since there's nobody to sell the thing

but i don't know much about game development so i'm talking out my ass right now

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

well i just can't imagine they're working too hard on the game right now since there's nobody to sell the thing

but i don't know much about game development so i'm talking out my ass right now
    under tim? no way in hell. the man wants his visions complete. if anything this gives them extra time to polish the game.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grey Ghost

do an LP of this

you must

for le revolution!

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    also

With bony hands I hold my partner/ On soulless feet we cross the floor
    The music stops as if to answer/ An empty knocking at the door
    It seems his skin was sweet as mango/ When last I held him to my breast
    But now we dance this Grim Fandango/ And will four years before we rest.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man I thought Orik had made this thread.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It blew my mind when I learned Tony Plana voiced Manny. It's obvious in hindsight, but it really shocked me when I found out he was in the game.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Man I thought Orik had made this thread.
    if tim schaefer announced a collaboration with tom waits i'm pretty sure orik's brain will shut down

Faricazy on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

under tim? no way in hell. the man wants his visions complete. if anything this gives them extra time to polish the game.

On Double Fine's website Tim said that they're fine and there's no need to worry

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yeah, I wouldn't worry too much

psychonauts spent forever without a publisher and it eventually shipped

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It blew my mind when I learned Tony Plana voiced Manny. It's obvious in hindsight, but it really shocked me when I found out he was in the game.

that's one of the reasons my dad loves this game so much.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fucking amazing game

Also fuck those flaming beavers

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty sure I've played this game more than any other

I've gone through it at least 15 times

also fuck the tumblers in year 3

YaYa on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Day of the Tentacle is where it's at.

Oh yes.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    fuck I gotta go to school but yessssssssssssssss

grey ghost you are my favorite

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    seriously I didn't even need to read the OP

I just saw the title and was like "fucking Grim Fandango!"

got so excited

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    this game sucks

Knob on
  • Options
    agdymahoozleagdymahoozle Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Yay first post.

Anyway, grim fandango can be found at PIRACY! if yer still interested in playing. <3 that site. if a game's not out of print it never costs more than 5 dollars either.

agdymahoozle on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Yay last post.

Grim Fandango is emphatically not abandonware. LucasArts has been extremely diligent in keeping the license renewed. So. Don't steal.

Knob on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ori thread?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    agdymahoozleagdymahoozle Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    i never called it abandonware. i suppose you can't trust people not to get it without having a physical copy lying around somewhere though...

agdymahoozle on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Knob wrote: »
    Yay last post.

Grim Fandango is emphatically not abandonware. LucasArts has been extremely diligent in keeping the license renewed. So. Don't steal.

i bet you nod your head and smile at those "you wouldn't steal a car" commercials

this game is ancient and outdated, and unless its easily available on steam or some D2D site for less than 5 bucks and is completely compatible with Vista, it should be considered complete abandonware. just beacause lucasarts wants more money out of it doesn't mean common sense can't come into play.

Urian on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I know what I'm installing on my Virtual PC tonight now. I hope I've still got the winxp patch lying around that slows the elevator down in year 2..

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeeeeeeeeeessssss Grim Fandango

Coincidentally I have been listening to the soundtrack for the past couple of days

It is a very good soundtrack

Iskander on