As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An EPIC Tale of CRIME and CORRUPTION in the LAND OF THE DEAD

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    Yay last post.

Grim Fandango is emphatically not abandonware. LucasArts has been extremely diligent in keeping the license renewed. So. Don't steal.

i bet you nod your head and smile at those "you wouldn't steal a car" commercials

this game is ancient and outdated, and unless its easily available on steam or some D2D site for less than 5 bucks and is completely compatible with Vista, it should be considered complete abandonware. just beacause lucasarts wants more money out of it doesn't mean common sense can't come into play.

no, but the owners of this site have a pretty clear policy on stuff like this on the forums and it isn't in my hands to play grey area police

what i personally feel about the situation doesn't factor in at all

Knob on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Iskander wrote: »
    Yeeeeeeeeeessssss Grim Fandango

Coincidentally I have been listening to the soundtrack for the past couple of days

It is a very good soundtrack

I've got two versions of the soundtracks -- one that was released free from Lucasarts on their website a few years ago and one that I paid for.

Everyone thinks I'm a massive geek when scrolling through my music collection on the TV computer in the lounge; you get to L and there's a good page of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and Loom soundtracks.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeeeeeeeeeessssss Grim Fandango

Coincidentally I have been listening to the soundtrack for the past couple of days

It is a very good soundtrack

I've got two versions of the soundtracks -- one that was released free from Lucasarts on their website a few years ago and one that I paid for.

Everyone thinks I'm a massive geek when scrolling through my music collection on the TV computer in the lounge; you get to L and there's a good page of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and Loom soundtracks.

The Outlaws soundtrack is also pretty rad.

As for Loom, is the soundtrack available anywhere?

Cause all I found on mixnmojo was one song...

Iskander on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Yay last post.

Grim Fandango is emphatically not abandonware. LucasArts has been extremely diligent in keeping the license renewed. So. Don't steal.

i bet you nod your head and smile at those "you wouldn't steal a car" commercials

this game is ancient and outdated, and unless its easily available on steam or some D2D site for less than 5 bucks and is completely compatible with Vista, it should be considered complete abandonware. just beacause lucasarts wants more money out of it doesn't mean common sense can't come into play.

no, but the owners of this site have a pretty clear policy on stuff like this on the forums and it isn't in my hands to play grey area police

what i personally feel about the situation doesn't factor in at all

well yeah, but i don't really think an infraction on the dude was necessary in this case, it's not like he linked directly to anything

Urian on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    to be fair Urian no-one really cares what you think

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The Outlaws soundtrack is also pretty rad.

As for Loom, is the soundtrack available anywhere?

Cause all I found on mixnmojo was one song...

Yeah, it's that same one - the audio drama. I just like to have it around because you get the feel of the game from the background music.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Never played this game.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    agdymahoozleagdymahoozle Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Never played this game.

Well... ebay?

agdymahoozle on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I know what I'm installing on my Virtual PC tonight now. I hope I've still got the winxp patch lying around that slows the elevator down in year 2..

CPU Killer, wasn't it?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, you can get lucky with ebay finds. I got the double-pack of Monkey Island 1 & 2 on CD for quite cheap (and they're in good condition) to go with my floppy copies that I can't use anymore.

SporkAndrew on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I know what I'm installing on my Virtual PC tonight now. I hope I've still got the winxp patch lying around that slows the elevator down in year 2..

CPU Killer, wasn't it?

The official patch actually. Fixes a few bugs too.

SporkAndrew on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ah, okay. I remember certain computers also needed the additional program to slow things down.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    this game sucks

fuck you, faggot

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    man knob, what...

Iskander on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    YaYa wrote: »

wow this forum really has become a shithole

people who don't think the same way everyone else does aren't just ignored, but are told that their opinion is insignificant and that nobody cares. if you hate conversation and different opinions so much why do you even fucking go to an internet message board?

fuck you

Urian on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I was going to agree but then I realized who posted this

And I laughed

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gentlemen please
    I will not have this in my thread

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Gentlemen please
    I will not have this in my thread

Can we not have Urian in this thread either?

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

people who don't think the same way everyone else does aren't just ignored, but are told that their opinion is insignificant and that nobody cares. if you hate conversation and different opinions so much why do you even fucking go to an internet message board?

fuck you

It's not really a conversation, it's just you being wrong about things to various people.

Pb on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Haven't had the chance to play it, but I've played Psychonauts at least three, four times and really look forward to Brutal Legend.

Have tried looking for it, but I suppose Amazon will have to be it.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

fuck you

hahaahhahahahahaha

Green on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Haven't had the chance to play it, but I've played Psychonauts at least three, four times and really look forward to Brutal Legend.

Have tried looking for it, but I suppose Amazon will have to be it.

play it if at all possible

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hooooooly shit

I suddenly had a flashback to being a kid and reading about this and wanting to play it so bad

I haven't thought about it since then

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i read the pc gamer 'editor's choice' review about eleven times a day, because we didn't have internet and i had no idea how to get more information about it

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd like to release some repressed memories of the part where you have to open the locked safe/door/whatever with the turning stones.

FUCK

That is all.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Goddamned elevator puzzle

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There is a great video let's play of this game that cuts out all the backtracking and extraneous parts and presents the game like a movie. It is really well done too if people just want to experience the best part of Grim Fandango, the story and narrative, without what I still think are stupid and annoying puzzles.

A lot of adventure games from that era just had obscure and counter-intuitive solutions to their item crap. But the writing is still absolutely unsurpassed.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    A side effect of this game was that it got me interested in Aztec mythology which is kinda cool

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Half Priced Books stores have been amazing for me as far as old software goes. I picked up Grim Fandango at one of those for about a buck fifty. I think it was further discounted as a post-holiday sale, too.

I'm kinda hoping the engine for Grim Fandango and that last Monkey Island game get included in some future version of SCUMMVM. If it doesn't run on a DS port, though, I'd be sad.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They're working on a GRIME emulator called Residual, but it's a side project of the SCUMMVM devs and so it's been making slow progress for a while.

probably never run on the DS because the DS is basically a calculator with a touchscreen attached

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm so glad I got the last Monkey Island game for PS2

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i read the pc gamer 'editor's choice' review about eleven times a day, because we didn't have internet and i had no idea how to get more information about it
    I had the PC Gamer disc with the Grim Fandango demo on it. I played that fucking thing over and over again.

Which is fairly unnecessary for an adventure game, but I just loved it so much.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ah urian

you're a soft touch

YaYa on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Skull Man wrote:
    hooooooly shit

I suddenly had a flashback to being a kid and reading about this and wanting to play it so bad

I haven't thought about it since then

you must now go out and find a way to play it

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm so glad I got the last Monkey Island game for PS2

Was Escape From Monkey Island any good?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I enjoyed it a lot

it got pretty hard at points, and people either like/hate Monkey Kombat, but I thought it was good enough

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Was it made by the same people who did Curse Of Monkey Island?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Some of the people were involved, but not all of them

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've seen a little of the game. Bit upset that it's in 3D really.

The swamp bit was pretty fantastic though.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I liked Escape

but they changed Stan's voice actor from Curse and that is a crime I will not forgive

YaYa on