As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Earthworm Jim! The End!

GilderGilder Aw snapMacaroni PartyRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
COVER.jpg

Welcome to Let's Play Earthworm Jim Special Edition for the Sega CD! I would've done the PC version but getting it to work these days is so annoying that it might actually be easier to make my own super suit. Anyway before we get started, you need to read up on the history of Earthworm Jim!

First off, Earthworm Jim and all characters and planets in the series were created in 1994 by Douglas TenNappel. Shiny developed the game and it was released in 1994 for the Sega Genesis. In 1995 it was released for the SNES, the PC, the Sega CD, and the gameboy. Then later it got a GBA release. Oh yeah, then it kind of got a cartoon on the Kids WB, 2 sequels including one on the N64, a huge fan following, and the series was resurrected earlier this year with plans for a movie and other stuff. But that's not important.

Now it's time for....

The Story!

It was a day like any other! A crow pursues a worm through a field.
Today, the worm makes it home... The crow, however, eats some grass... Wham!
Meanwhile, out in space, a tiny renegade ship piloted by Snott a booper-being
escapes from the evil Queen with a stolen ultra-high tech, indestructible,
super space cyber suit on board. The craft is being pursued by the infamous
bounty hunter Psycrow.

Psycrow pulls out a gun to make Snott hand over the suit. Snott reaches inside
for a slightly bigger gun. This of course worries Psycrow because he has gun
envy. He reaches inside and pulls out the huge Motha' Blaster of them all!
Snott throws up his hands in numb despair, but as Psycrow pulls the trigger
Snott jumps in the backpack of the suit... Blaze! The ship is cooked away,
the suit falls helplessly to Earth, Psycrow sees he must pursue the suit.

Back on Earth the worm wonders if it is safe to come out of his hole. He looks
right, he looks left.. It seems to be safe unknown to him the suit falls to
earth. The suit land right on top of the worm. Luckily, he rest safely within
the neck section of the suit. The space particles interact with the worm's soft
flesh causing some kind of radical light speed evolution. Suddenly, the worm
realizes he is in control of the suit. Thus ...The birth of EARTHWORM JIM.

Jim's creativity is kicked into action as he realizes he has something attached
to his belt He pulls it out Unknown to him, its a plasma blaster. Meanwhile the
crow in the background investigates the hole... BLAM! Jim fires off a plasma
shot ...SQUAWK! Is heard in the background. The crow attempts to get up.
Earthworm Jim lean against a tree to rest a bit, but he doesn't realise that
the suit possesses overwhelming power and he topples the tree with ease...
on to the crow, destroying his old nemesis.

Earthworm Jim figures he has it easy from now on, until he hears something over
his shoulder. Spying over the toppled tree, Jim sees Psycrow talking to the
Queen, announcing that he has evidence that her suit is very near.
Jim disappears into the city and embarks on the greatest adventure of his life.

Whoooo, what a story! We're not done yet though!

FAQ, answered by Dave Perry!

Where did the suit come from?

It was invented by Professor Monkey-for-a-Head for the evil Queen of planet Insectica.

What was the suit's purpose?

To house the Queen's army of grubworms of course. Only one prototype was made before it was stolen by a spy.

How did Jim end up with the suit?

It was stolen by the Booper-beings who ran as far away from the Queen as they could. Unfortunately, the ship that was carrying the suit was blasted out of the sky by the Psycrow, a freelance bounty hunter, the suit fell out of the sky and landed on a lowly earthworm, who was then transformed into the mighty Earthworm Jim by the suit's molecular moulding properties.

What is Jim's favourite food?

Earth dirt.

What is his favourite saying?

Eat Dirt!

What is his goal in life?

To protect Earth from hostile aliens.

Who is Earthworm Jim's idol?

David Perry, head of Shiny (of course).

Alright so now that that's out of the way, you may be wondering "But what IS the special edition of Earthworm Jim, senor Gildino?" Well I'll tell you! The special edition was released for the PC and Sega CD and it includes lots of stuff like changes to the levels and item placement but listing that would take too long. Here are the main changes though: It includes the intestine level not included in the SNES release as well as a bonus level called Big Bruty, their are 3 endings, difficult is actually fair and not a pain in the ass, Tube Race is possible for mere mortals to deafeat without the secret air refill, the music is CD quality and re-arranged, some levels have been lengthened and oh so much more I can't remember!

Isn't this exciting?! I hope so because now you have to scroll down to the next post for videos and all that jazz!

Gilder on

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Characters and Enemies! In order of appearance!

Jim.gifEarthworm Jim!

Earthworm Jim was a normal worm until a super suit fell on him. Then he became super strong, he gained a Texan accent and a voice (voiced by Douglas TenNappel himself!) and proceeded to make a franchise. Truly the American dream.

crow1.gifA crow!

The crow genus makes up a third of the species in the corvid family. Other corvids include rooks and jays. Crows appear to have evolved in Asia from the corvid stock, which had evolved in Australasia. A group of crows is called a "murder," though this term usually appears in poetry rather than scientific contexts.

fifi3.gifFifi!

A rabid dog that lives in the Junkyard owned by Chuck. Loves to attack Jim because dogs hate Jim for some reason. Fifi died when a tire pile on him but luckily Chuck owns about 6 or 7 so he wasn't missed. Try to identify the real Fifi in Video 1!

cow.gifThe cow!

This cow was launched into space by Earthworm Jim. It's said that cows can't breathe in space but this is a well documented lie. Cows have no friction and thus cannot be stopped unless they fall directly onto a surface.

trash2.gifA pile of trash!

The mid-boss of New Junk City. Is composed of a garbage can, tires, and a desk lamp. Has an infinite supply of anvils. The anvils are actually made of anvil.

chuck1.gifChuck!

Chuck is the owner of the junkyard in New Junk City. He sits atop his crane and belches fish at any trespassers. Has a bad case of salmonella.

shadow1.gifShadows!

Residents of Planet Heck. They like to bite Jim for no real reason but I assume they want his suit.

lawyer2.gifLawyers!

Lawyers are said to be so frightening that Hell itself couldn't handle them. Apparently that's true but they aren't evil enough for Heck! They just love to throw Tax forms at you. Don't expect a refund.

snow1.gifSnowman!

Exactly how this snowman survives in such harsh conditions is a mystery to me but I suspect that he's actually made out of white fire. Very condensed white fire. Also he's magical.

evil2.gifEvil the Cat!

Cats really are the most sophisticated of animals, but they're also the most diabolical. Evil the Cat is the ruler of Planet Heck and in the cartoon he has a rat minion. That minion is not present in this game though.

bee1.gifBees!

Bees are the most annoying enemies to hit in the game. They usually move when you approach them and their hit box is very tiny so your gun usually misses. I am usually okay at fighting them. Sometimes I'm not. This time, it was personal.

bruty3.gifBig Bruty!

Big Bruty is blind but has a keen sense of smell. He also kills you in one hit if he touches you. Therefore, Big Bruty is an asshole. I do not like him.

blob2.gifPuffy Blob Thing!

These guys are present on Down the Tubes, Tube Race, and Intestinal Distress. They're the only enemy to be present in a world not its original. They've very easy to defeat though so they pose no real threat. Their hitbox can be kind of odd sometimes though.

four2.gifNumber Four!

Number Four is a bodyguard/servant of Bob the Goldfish. He never questions him and just carries him everywhere. Number 1-3 have gone to Kitty Heaven, where the mice don't even run away. It's kind of boring really.

A Hamster I couldn't Find a Picture of!

Yeehaw, ride that critter! This hamster just loves to chomp down on things but he doesn't really like worms. Guess we got a lucky break.

Little Orange Throwing Guys I Couldn't Find a Picture of!

Tossing you around like a sack of dirt Jim just ate, these enemies can be somewhat annoying. However they're a hamsters favorite food so they aren't completely invincible.

bob1.gifBob the Goldfish!

Bob is an intelligent goldfish and wants to train all the fish on his planet to help him rule the universe or whatever. It doesn't really matter because the fish on his planet are extremely dumb. Maybe he should try for dolphins.

mucus2.gifMajor Mucus!
    Major Mucus loves being eXtreme so it makes sense that you fight him in a bungee jumping duel. However he was apparently too eXtreme for the WB as he was never shown in the cartoon, despite his level being included in every version of the game.

psy2.gifPsycrow!
    While we have seen Psycrow in videos up until now, this is his first real introduction as an enemy. Psycrow always wears the helmet, even when he's on a planet. Perhaps it's keeping in more than just oxygen?

greenblob.gifGreen Blob!

These blobs float around and explode into delicious shrimp when shot. These shrimp are still alive though and so disgusting to look at that they hurt you.

brain2.gifBrains!

Brains just flopping around the lab all willy-nilly. There's not much else to say about them.

eye.gifThe Eyes!

Annoying little pests of an enemy. They come out of certain spots in the lab and you'd think that for such a weak enemy they'd die when you touch them but they don't. They can really rack up the damage if you keep them around.

prof4.gifProfessor Monkey-for-a-Head!

My favorite villain, solely for his voice actor in the cartoon. The professor obviously has a monkey grafted to his head and while it helps him out here in the game, in the show it never does. Oddly, you never actually defeat the Professor.

MYSTERY ENEMIES WITHOUT PICTURES?!

MYSTERIOUS.

mechachicken.gifRobotic Chicken!

I didn't make the obvious joke in the video and I'm not making it now. This chicken is probably the hardest boss in the game, but that's not saying a lot.

pete5.gifPeter Puppy!

Peter Puppy is Jim's sidekick in the cartoon but in the games he's an asshole. If Peter gets wrapped up in a vine, falls into a ravine, or watches puppies splatter on the ground, he hulks out and tries to kill Jim. I'm pretty sure nobody likes Peter in the games. To add to the hatred, he can also never seem to stick to a color. In the games he's purple, in the cartoon he's yellow, and on the title screen for the level he's white. Make up your mind Peter.

unipus1.gifTentacles!

Mysterious tentacles that are all over the place on Peter's planet. I think they come from some kind of space octopus.

ufo.gifUFO's!

These UFO's like to try and abduct Jim, but they only ever seem to catch his head. Maybe the suit is too heavy. In any case, all they do is stop you which is the worst thing that can happen.

wierd.gifA Thing!

I have absolutely no clue what this thing is.

infish.gifFlying Fish!

These fish can really fly! No strings attached or anything. Amazing. How do they do it, and why? I have to call National Geographic.

duo1.gifDoc Duodenum!

Okay, finding any information on this guy is difficult. Even finding out his name was hard because everyone seems to have played the SNES version and they don't even know this boss exists. I'm going to say that he is a doctor of intestines.

hornet.gifHornets!

Annoying little pests that, like the eyeballs from Level 5, quite enjoy hitting you when you're swinging so you can't defend yourself.

hornslug1.gifHornslug!

Oh god, these are the worst enemies. It may be a sound glitch or intentional but in the special edition, these guys make a really bad buzzing sound. Just turn the volume down in the video until you don't see them anymore.

snipper1.gifSnippers!

The final(?) one hit kill obstacle of the game. If they touch you, you get cut in half. One whip takes them out though.

The Evil Queen Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Pus-filled Slug for a Butt

No picture available. The final boss of the game and the original "person" that the suit was designed for.

Videos!

chuckfifi.gif

New Junk City!

evil.gif

What the Heck?

bruty.gif

Big Bruty!

dronecat.gifbobbowl.gif

Down the Tubes + Tube Race! Viddler Mirror.

mucus.gifpsyhead.gif

Snot a Problem

monkeyhead.gif

Level 5!

peter.gif

For Pete's Sake!

doc.gif

Intestinal Distress!

queen.gif

Buttville!

The Endings! No commentary here, turn the volume up.

Gilder on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A Gilder Let's Play! Huzzah! And the children of the world rejoiced! This is gonna be awesome :D

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why hello there. Awesome game + Gilder, a winning combination.

Schide on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Earthworm Jim! He rockets through the sky!
    Earthworm Jim! He's such a super guy!
    Something something something I forget the rest.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2008
    Oh holy crap hahaha you put it in the beginning of the video! Fuck yes!
    I love you.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had completely forgotten the cartoon's intro! I had forgotten how awesome it is.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got stuck on the underwater level, the second part I think. Earthworm Jim is wicked hard.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Down the Tubes is going to be one loooooong video.

The_Scarab on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yay.

Food on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zero Suit Jim is sexy.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YES! This was one of my favorite games way back when, and with Gilder at the helm, this should be lots of fun. I only played the SNES version myself, so I never knew the others had slightly different music and sound effects. It's cool to see all the other little and not so little changes so far - they really added on to the first level.

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Best game ever.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That was excellent. I'm glad to see that you're using the Special Edition. It's a shame that it rarely gets mentioned compared to the Genesis/SNES versions. Though, I guess it is more common than the Sega Saturn version of EWJ2.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh god, I'm actually giddy with anticipation.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes yes yes yes yes. Oh and yes so hard!

Despite loving it so, i was pretty terrible at this game so it'd be nice to finally see the ending.

Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GBA version is terrible. This game is hard as nuts, however it is one of the rare examples in the platforming genre of a game that actually plateaus in difficulty around the middle.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited September 2008
    I only rented this for the Genesis way back when, furthest I remember getting was... I think the end of the 2nd level. Or maybe I got further. I remember a level where you fall down a long system of pits with spike-covered walls, but I'm not sure if I was playing then or watching someone else play.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My sister and I rented this back on our first genesis.

We thought it was too hard and really weird anyways.

stupid younger self.

Khavall on
    edited September 2008
    I got stuck on the underwater level, the second part I think. Earthworm Jim is wicked hard.

Actually, one of the major changes that the Special Edition made was it balanced the difficulty for 2 levels: Tube Race and Snot a Problem. While Down the Tubes is a decently sized level, Tube Race is where everyone has a problem. In the SNES and Genesis version the race was a total bitch if you didn't use the secret air refill. I've practiced it over and over and the most I can finish with without using the air refill is 10 seconds. That's almost no room for error. In the special edition though, you can easily finish with 25 seconds on the clock. Also they added one more thing to make the level easier, but I'll demonstrate that when we get there.

Also before anyone asks, I will improve the audio for the next video. I have a new recording setup so I actually do get game audio without having to use a cheap ghetto setup but the audio got a bit lowered in the compression. I'll be turning it up from 45 to 60 next time and I'll see how that turns out. The levels in these games have some incredibly good music and I want everyone to hear it. It's just that I recorded this video a week ago and I was getting impatient.

Finally finally, for those of you worried about what I said in the first paragraph about difficulty being balanced, Peter Puppy's stage has not been changed. That stage is still a bitch and a half and I am not looking forward to it. I have also played this game at least 6 times in preparation so I do tend to make certain parts look easier than they are. I'm no expert though. I still die to the chicken robot a lot.

Gilder on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh shit, Gilder is making a Let's Play, and it's EWJ. My little LP will go into hibernation and re-emerge after the storm of awesome has passed (i.e. when I'm done watching Gilder's).

joshofalltrades on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Ea0yAF-00

More memorable than all of my childhood Christmas's combined.

redraptor on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    [Also before anyone asks, I will improve the audio for the next video. I have a new recording setup so I actually do get game audio without having to use a cheap ghetto setup but the audio got a bit lowered in the compression. I'll be turning it up from 45 to 60 next time and I'll see how that turns out. The levels in these games have some incredibly good music and I want everyone to hear it. It's just that I recorded this video a week ago and I was getting impatient.

Yeah, having A Night on Bald Mountain pretty much clinches the awesomeness of the soundtrack.

I had this for the SNES but could never get very far. Certainly not past that godforsaken Peter Puppy segment. I think I used cheat codes to get to the last level though.

Schide on
  • kingmeh123kingmeh123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hurray! I'm so very excited for this LP.

kingmeh123 on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really like Earthworm Jim, but the second one is almost too weird, and not really in a good way, just in a.... weird way. I do like running around with the giant marshmallow though.

Craigopogo on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bluespotting for pure awesome. I seem to vaguely remember this game in my childhood. I don't remember if I played it or not, or if I liked it or not. Hrm...:?

Rent on
    edited September 2008
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    I really like Earthworm Jim, but the second one is almost too weird, and not really in a good way, just in a.... weird way. I do like running around with the giant marshmallow though.

It seems like some sections in 2 were trying a bit too hard to be unique. One of the things that I enjoy about EJ1 is that it's a platformer but it spices it up with gimmicks in the levels. In the end however it's still a platformer. EJ2 though, you don't even use your normal weapons except in about 3 levels. You're either digging through tunnels or pushing a bomb or dodging lightbulbs, but you're almost never just doing some simple running and jumping.

I do however love the music in that one level redraptor posted a link to.

Gilder on
  • CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This brings back memories. Such an awesome game. Good choice Gilder.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't have anything important to add, but I'm super excited about this. The first video is great.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OH YAY!

I only ever managed to beat EWJ1 (on the SNES) using cheat codes.

Soooo, tell us Gilder... will you be doing EWJ2 next? :D

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2008
    Rumor has it that he is skipping straight to the N64 game...
    Yes, I just invented that rumor. No, I wouldn't wish that type of suffering on anyone. Yes, even Gilder.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, no way am I doing 2. I'm no good at it and I'm not a fan of most of the levels.

And as for 64, like hell I'm doing that. I've never actually played it though, how bad is it? I know it's based more off the cartoon.

Gilder on
    edited September 2008
    Ever play any of those other "Now in 3D!" platformers from the N64/PSX/Saturn era that weren't Mario?

Yeah.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yeeeeeh Gilder + a new LP plus its Earthworm jim! so awsome.

man i love this game to bits. one of Shiny's truely greatest achievements

Pompa on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hooray, a new LP from Gilder! I've never gotten to play this version of EWJ, just the Genesis version, so this should be fun. (I had to beat it with cheats because of that frigging spike level, where damn near everything was spikes, IIRC. I sucked hard at that part.)

Norfair on
    edited September 2008
    What is it with that spike area? It seems to be renowned for being difficult but it's actually only about 15 seconds long. It's the last level too so you have to have beaten Tube Race and For Pete's Sake, both of which are way more difficult.

Gilder on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I always thought the nuclei were what powered Jim's suit.

Shady3011 on
  • learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Earthworm Jim, yes! I can't recall ever making it past the first level, but then I was young and only ever played it at my friends

learntofly on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    What is it with that spike area? It seems to be renowned for being difficult but it's actually only about 15 seconds long. It's the last level too so you have to have beaten Tube Race and For Pete's Sake, both of which are way more difficult.

That's it, though. I always played straight through games on weekends as much as possible because of homework and such, and this game would break me when I marathoned it. So I usually was a gibbering wreck by the time I got to the spikes.

And Peter Puppy can choke on a dick and die. All those repressed feelings of rage are coming back now....

The Tube Race wasn't too bad, but that's only because I somehow figured out the secret air refill trick on my own. I have no idea how I did that.

Anyway, great commentary. I didn't mind the low game volume too much.

Also, I seem to remember that Rockstar had something to do with EWJ 64, but I'm not sure. I do remember that it was delayed endlessly. There was also supposed to be a PSOne version (as EWJ 3) but I don't know if it ever came out. I could be mistaken about all this.

Norfair on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arghles! I only ever played this when I rented it way back when. I could always get to some bungee-jumping level where I instantly died. I assume I just had to press jump, or something, but I could never get it to work.

There was a prompt "fuck this game" after the third time I got there, and I never looked back. Only... now I'm looking back, sort of!

Groovy. Groovy. Groovy. And so on.

Monsty on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I didn't really think the Peter Puppy stage was that hard?

Speed Racer on