As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Earthworm Jim! The End!

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    Yeah, no way am I doing 2. I'm no good at it and I'm not a fan of most of the levels.

And as for 64, like hell I'm doing that. I've never actually played it though, how bad is it? I know it's based more off the cartoon.

Aw, come on! You're at your best when you do games you're not good at!

Speed Racer on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy shit this Let's Play is fantastic.

Adding little snippets from the Cartoon was a pretty neat idea, too.

Igort on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it really was. I loved that cartoon so much as a little kid.

Do they have DVDs?

Speed Racer on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, I played though many times before I discovered the terrifying secret stage that's completely in the dark with evil eyes as the only badguys.
    And then you get chased by a huge pair of eyes only to find in the light they have no body, and are just a floating pair of eyes.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love these games so much, they need to come out on VC or XBLA. Jim has always been one of my favourite video game characters. I can't wait to get home from work and watch this.

elevature on
  • X-Law-NikX-Law-Nik Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gilder is finally back. You picked a classic. It's going to be awesome.

X-Law-Nik on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it really was. I loved that cartoon so much as a little kid.

Do they have DVDs?

No they do not. I would've said there's no hope for that ever happening but seeing as the franchise is trying to be resurrected it's not as unlikely as I would've thought. I wouldn't expect any for some time though.

Also everyone I'll try to update today but as I'm unsure of how much recording time I'll have next week what I'll try to do is record 2 videos per day this week and then spread them out. So you might want to expect updates every other day.

Gilder on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait, what? The Sega CD actually has a good game that doesn't involve Sonic? Huh.

EWJ on the SNES raped my tiny, tender, middle schooler asshole raw back in the day.

forty on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I cannot wait until the next update. :D I loved (love) Earthworm Jim. I want to say I have seen every episode of the cartoon, but I can't be sure. I do know I programmed my VCR to record it in case I was ever not able to watch it right then.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited September 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    seeing as the franchise is trying to be resurrected

Wait

what?

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2008
    Wikipedia wrote:
    On April 22, 2008 Earthworm Jim 4 was announced, though details are scarce and no solid platform or release data have been revealed. However, TenNapel has expressed a desire on his forums for the game to be launched solely on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

I remember something about a movie as well but I can't find a link. There was also a PSP game in development but it got canceled. You can see it on youtube though. It looked pretty weird to be honest. Jim looked all off.

Edit: PS everyone, the next video is producing right now. Once it's done, assuming nothing went wrong, all I have to do is compress it and upload it. So expect it in a few hours as my upload speed is really crappy. After this though, updates should be every other day.

Gilder on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Have all of you seen Sockbaby before? It's a short film made by Jim's creator, TenNapel, and it is SO GOOD.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GqXiOm7d8k

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yep, it's still quite fun, even years later :)

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Haha, I'd not seen Sockbaby before, that was pretty good.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That was one of the best youtube things I've ever seen!

Also, looking forward to the update

learntofly on
    edited September 2008
    shadow1.gifShadows!

Residents of Planet Heck. They like to bite Jim for no real reason but I assume they want his suit.

lawyer2.gifLawyers!

Lawyers are said to be so frightening that Hell itself couldn't handle them. Apparently that's true but they aren't evil enough for Heck! They just love to throw Tax forms at you. Don't expect a refund.

snow1.gifSnowman!

Exactly how this snowman survives in such harsh conditions is a mystery to me but I suspect that he's actually made out of white fire. Very condensed white fire. Also he's magical.

evil2.gifEvil the Cat!

Cats really are the most sophisticated of animals, but they're also the most diabolical. Evil the Cat is the ruler of Planet Heck and in the cartoon he has a rat minion. That minion is not present in this game though.

The Video!

evil.gif

What the Heck?

I apologize for the frame rate in this video, the compression really screwed it up. I think it has to do with the fog at the bottom. That slowdown is not there in the original. If anyone knows a really good way to compress please tell me. I've just been using Virtualdub but it doesn't recognize my Lame codec which would be the best compressor. If anyone can help and I can get a better looking video, I'll upload that to replace this.

Gilder on
  • learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That cat got you good.

Oh man the animation in this game is amazing. Like when Jim jumps on his rocket at the end

learntofly on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ohman, I love this game and Gilder is doing an LP? has it been a while or did I just miss a bunch?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nice video once again Gilder. I think you were doing so relatively bad because it's quite a different thing to play by yourself than to play while narrating and trying to make it an interesting show. I know I've certainly gotten butterfingers before when trying to show someone something in a game before.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My mom always thought Jim was saying "Dayam!" when he got hit.

SkutSkut on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I did too. ^

Jubeh on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gilder actually sounds like a guy I know and used to go to school with.

SkutSkut on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Adding clips form the cartoon was a masterstroke. A masterstroke.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just to pick a fault with the narration - the screams were in the Mega Drive/Genesis version, and I'd guess the SNES version would have been developed alongside it, so it's not a special-edition-only thing. :P

Such a shame that Evil the Cat doesn't say "A minor setback" every time you take one of his lives though...

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited September 2008
    Ah, then the screams must have been removed from the SNES version because that was the one I played and there's no screams in that one. The SNES version got shafted yet again it seems.

Edit: Also aside from the sucky frame rate that I hope stays with that level and only that level, was the game audio a bit more audible for everyone? If it was fine then I'll just keep my settings the same for when I record tomorrow. I've already recorded Big Bruty but that level has such awful music that you won't be missing anything if the audio levels are bad.

Gilder on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm sure this could be confirmed with a quick Wikipedia search, but if I recall correctly EJ on the Genesis/MD was the target system, and the SNES version was probably developed alongside it or ported and may not have everything quite the same for that reason. I assume the Sega CD version, like many Sega CD games, was a quick port up of the Genesis game with redone music and added levels.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm sure this could be confirmed with a quick Wikipedia search, but if I recall correctly EJ on the Genesis/MD was the target system, and the SNES version was probably developed alongside it or ported and may not have everything quite the same for that reason. I assume the Sega CD version, like many Sega CD games, was a quick port up of the Genesis game with redone music and added levels.

Pretty much. EJ was designed for the Genesis and then ported over to the SNES. There are some extra graphical touches made for the SNES version and probably a few other tweaks, but not everything made the cut. I'm not sure why the Intestinal Distress level was removed entirely.

A dead giveaway that it was designed for the Genesis first is that it usually sounds worse on the SNES than the Genesis despite the SNES's more versatile sound chip.

SNES

Genesis

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah the game audio was much more audible this time around. In the first one I could barely hear Andy Asteroids and it made me sad.
    Also can someone tell me the name of that piece of music that plays in the background?
    Oh wait I found it. "Night on the Bald Mountain" by Modest Mussorgsky.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2008
    Gilder when was the last time you played the SNES version? Because I am like 90% sure that the screams are in it.

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2008
    Like a month ago. I remember being really surprised though when I heard the screams. Maybe my memory is just faulty.

Gilder on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh god, I had this on GBA. And like the little jerkwad I was I fucking sold it. Ever once and a while I get filled with regret.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited September 2008
    They really do need to release this on VC/XBLA. Now that they've got Mario RPG up there I'm pretty sure this is the only game that has me holding on to my SNES.

Speed Racer on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GBA version is full of pain and hatred, so don't feel bad.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited September 2008
    Also, the video and audio quality was fine for the last video, Gilder.

I rented this game a few times and/or played it on Sega Channel back in the day, but I was pretty bad at it. I think I eventually beat every stage, but not without gratuitous use of the level select code. I also remember the levels being ordered completely wrong in the level select menu, some of them being split into two parts with other levels interspersed between them. Or something, I dunno. I just remember it being very disjointed and screwing things up with the debug mode, and it only served to make an already weird game even weirder.

Sixfortyfive on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy shit since when is this on GameTap and how did I not know that before.

Khavall on
    edited September 2008
    They really do need to release this on VC/XBLA. Now that they've got Mario RPG up there I'm pretty sure this is the only game that has me holding on to my SNES.

It's supposed to come out sometime this year.

Sixfortyfive on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GBA version is full of pain and hatred, so don't feel bad.

What? How? Felt like the Snes version...

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm late to the party but I thought I read in a magazine that the homing missiles were in the SNES version and looked like little houses. I could be wrong, though.

RockinX on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought the "house" gun was in EWJ2. Might be wrong.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, those are EJ2. Get it? Home-ing missiles.

Gilder on