As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

FRINGE aka THE NEW MAD SCIENCE X-FILES

• MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    this is worse than when dely and wam discussed the merits of the star wars novels in world of warcraft
    hey, I didn't spend all those years playing dungeons and dragons and not learn a little something about courage

like i mean i was killing goblin lumberjacks for a tauren druid but you two just reeked of nerd

Meissnerd on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    orikae I am giggling like a child over here

hee hee hee

Orikaeshigitae on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i told you guys the pilot was good stuff a few months back

now we can all talk about how promising this show looks and hope it doesnt turn to bile

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited September 2008
    this is worse than when dely and wam discussed the merits of the star wars novels in world of warcraft
    hey, I didn't spend all those years playing dungeons and dragons and not learn a little something about courage

yessssss

Orikaeshigitae on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

like i mean i was killing goblin lumberjacks for a tauren druid but you two just reeked of nerd
    I honestly don't even remember doing this

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    I've only ever seen one X-Files episode. And never seen a full episode of any Star Trek.

I'm like the worst nerd ever.

Go downtown and turn in your communicator

(Seriously though, Pooro, what the hell? Did you not watch just to spite us?)

My mom hated sci-fi, so I never got to watch 'em when they were running. And by the time I was out on my own, there was just this huge backlog of episodes. I couldn't be buggered.

Marathons on sci-fi made it easy for me to start watching Trek
    Same reason I love Gunsmoke and Bonanza
    "Huh that was pretty good look it's on for another six hours"

Me Too! on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I honestly don't even remember doing this

quick cover your track by quoting things i don't know about 8-)

Meissnerd on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pooro, there's nothing I can say about your mother now that you couldn't top with what you just said.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited September 2008
    wam, i finally feel like i've done something of worth today

Orikaeshigitae on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oh man me too

heavin a big ol' sigh of contentment riiiiiight now

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited September 2008
    yeah.

anyway, fringe rules

Orikaeshigitae on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    An impressive pilot.

But, it did have a 10m budget and well Ill see how the rest of the series goes.

Consider me on board though. That said I have craved new X files for ages and the movie was a let down. This does have that vibe.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    An impressive pilot.

But, it did have a 10m budget and well Ill see how the rest of the series goes.

Consider me on board though. That said I have craved new X files for ages and the movie was a let down. This does have that vibe.

That's what I thought, as well. The X-Files movie sucked, so I'm hoping a lot that this will not be terrible.

I have a huge soft spot for this sort of thing.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dang I didnt realize this was tonight

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so i have to wait until sunday to start watching this?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought people liked the X-Files because of Fox and Mully, not because it was scientifically mysterious.

I don't know if this show has much promise. It was incredibly predictable for a pilot generated from Abrams. Now, we all have to remember he isn't heavily involved in writing Lost, but still, you'd think he'd take some clues from it since he's given all the credit for it from everyone who doesn't know better.

So...I'll spoiler the rest of this.
    When the significant male said "I love you," I of course knew he would die or something else horrible would happen, especially since their bond actually seemed really pure and legitimate. These are always destroyed or prevented in shows like this.

But no! He survives the explosion that might have affirmed my assumption in the first 30 minutes. And then lives. D:! Good move, Abrams, good move.

But then, oh noes! He's not telling the truth. Surprise? I think not! Poorly played again, Abrams. I thought you'd drop the whole bait'n'switch of loved ones when you used it exactly one million times in Alias.

But then he dies! D:! Surprising end to a car chase, because I thought he would be brought into custody or escape into the bat cave! Come on Abrams!

And...then...he can be brought back to life? Waaahh---Oh wait, I assumed this the first time I thought he had even died anyways! Because who ever lets a loved one die in the first episode? Oh wait...you already did that! So you...aren't doing it this time. I...think...that's some sort of...move...of an ambiguous nature. I'll give you a + or - 1 point there, Abrams.

So far the characters (count, 1, blondie, 2 guy, 3 guy's dad, and then a random black girl who doesn't talk, blondies FBI pal, cyborg bitch, and leader of mysterious government agency; basically, not enough characters for me [in terms of all the good shows I watch having many more]) are really bland. It doesn't do it for me that blondie comes off as really sort of stupid, kind of the muscle of the group who pulls off random stuff to save the day, while guy and guy's dad actually solve shit.

And so basically...there's nothing new here. It's like X-Files and Alias mashed together essentially, and not the good Alias in the first couple seasons, but the sick final seasons of Alias that should've been taken out back and shot.

There were few things that I thought were "new" enough for me to be intrigued: the big 3d letters that somebody better hit their head on at some point, the insanity of the smart old man (especially when he pissed his pants), and the cool dream sequence as well as the design of that corporation's headquarters.

So there's my incredibly harsh review of the first episode. Let's hope it stands the test of time and proves itself. But if it becomes one of those "one mystery per episode" dealios (which it may be leaning towards), you can toss my vote out the window.
    thorgot wrote: »
    Ok, honestly, have none of you heard of the internet? I am shocked at how many people have said "Oh no it was on tonight! I'll watch it Sunday." I watch all TV online, and this is something that'll probably end up on a legit site like Hulu or something if you consider it sin to watch something ad-free.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited September 2008
    damn you, Abrams! damn you for using genre tropes!

I'll get you next time, Abrams!

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2008
    Actually I would prefer that. I lost interest in Lost because it was a continuous endless stream of questions.

With one case per show that at least provides some closure on the plots which is desperately missing from both Alias and Lost. It was like constant stream of 'ok now what the fuck' and I didn't enjoy that.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2008
    all i'll say is this, srizzy: do you remember the x-files pilot? no? do you know why?

because a series' character development comes from developing the characters over the length of a series, that's why.

the House pilot sucked balls, but look how that turned out.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2008
    all i'll say is this, srizzy: do you remember the x-files pilot? no? do you know why?

because a series' character development comes from developing the characters over the length of a series, that's why.

the House pilot sucked balls, but look how that turned out.
    Yeah, I'm being harsh, mainly because he pulled moves he's done before in shows. The characters I'll give a chance, but I don't like "one thing per episode shows." They're slower and less interesting, I prefer a constant drama to be taking place. Of course, there will be some sort of arch, but think about Battlestar or even Alias. There aren't too many questions there, and they still had more consistency than "Today it's telekenetics, tomorrow it's worm holes".

I'm not saying the show is bad, or the characters can't get better, just that I felt like other pilots have shown more promise, like True Blood which I just watched two episodes of. The characters are REALLY distinct, but Allan Ball is a bit better in terms of drama than Abrams.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited September 2008
    you're silly

you really can't judge characters or much of anything from a pilot

and you're judging the rest of the series before you've even seen it

pilots are basically prologues to the rest of the show

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2008
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Alias. There aren't too many questions there

have you ever actually seen Alias

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so what's the consensus?

worth watching?

haven't seen the pilot yet...

Faricazy on
    edited September 2008
    Alias was a constant gradient of mind fuckery.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2008
    you're silly

you really can't judge characters or much of anything from a pilot
    Actually, I already proved that wrong. Go watch the first episode of True Blood.

Anyways, I'll probably watch the whole season of the show since I like television and I won't stop watching something just because it's not as good as the best shows on TV, but I'm going to at least think of the mistakes a director's making. Granted, Abrams probably figures most people watching this pilot haven't watched all of Alias, so they won't recognize the major plot twist that he's overused in the past.

And in comparison to Lost, which you were comparing to, Alias was more predictable, especially when you got the feel of their formula. But I'm not saying it didn't make you want to watch more with folded up mysteries.

srsizzy on
    edited September 2008
    Alias was a constant stream of introducing loose ends without any long term plans with what to do with them

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    uh, dude

that twist is hardly new, or unique to abrams, who doesn't do a whole lot of writing anyway

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to say it again
    I wouldn't mind a monster-of-the-week format with some conspiracy stuff in every episode
    The way X-Files did it drove me nuts and I could never follow the conspiracy

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    uh, dude

that twist is hardly new, or unique to abrams, who doesn't do a whole lot of writing anyway
    He wrote this episode. And the way they did it reminded me of Alias. "I love you, oh wait, you aren't on my side. Oh wait, he's not dead. Oh wait, this isn't actually surprising."

And I only don't want the "Weekly" format because I am looking for more shows like those that I like, i.e. Battlestar, Lost, Six Feet Under, etc. I'm not saying it won't work, it did for the 4400, it's just really...starting to get old for me. Maybe I watch too much TV to enjoy anything new.

srsizzy on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    thorgot wrote: »
    Ok, honestly, have none of you heard of the internet? I am shocked at how many people have said "Oh no it was on tonight! I'll watch it Sunday." I watch all TV online, and this is something that'll probably end up on a legit site like Hulu or something if you consider it sin to watch something ad-free.

I was basically asking if it was on Hulu, yes.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    I'm going to say it again
    I wouldn't mind a monster-of-the-week format with some conspiracy stuff in every episode
    The way X-Files did it drove me nuts and I could never follow the conspiracy

the fun thing about the x-files was that most of the interesting conspiracy threads were wrapped up by season 5 because carter wanted to stop the series, but it was too successful so FOX made him continue

one of the many reasons why everything after season 5 sucks

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2008
    I was never even sure of what the conspiracy was
    I mean I knew the gist of it from watching the finale but that's it
    Watching it as it unfolded made zero sense

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    I was never even sure of what the conspiracy was
    I mean I knew the gist of it from watching the finale but that's it
    Watching it as it unfolded made zero sense
    you are an alien

Faricazy on
    edited September 2008
    uh, dude

He wrote this episode. And the way they did it reminded me of Alias. "I love you, oh wait, you aren't on my side. Oh wait, he's not dead. Oh wait, this isn't actually surprising."

And I only don't want the "Weekly" format because I am looking for more shows like those that I like, i.e. Battlestar, Lost, Six Feet Under, etc. I'm not saying it won't work, it did for the 4400, it's just really...starting to get old for me. Maybe I watch too much TV to enjoy anything new.

i guess, because you are saying 'please do not use this accepted structure for episodic television'

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2008
    uh, dude

i guess, because you are saying 'please do not use this accepted structure for episodic television'
    The boundaries of which have been pushed by all good television. I guess I'm weird for liking things that are new rather than watching something else I've already seen digested and vomited again. The fact that I don't just watch TV to let my brain die for an hour is probably a reason for my pickiness.

srsizzy on
    edited September 2008
    pushing daisies does monster of the week sorta

fringe just ain't pushing daisies i guess

Faricazy on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay I might check this out.

I might

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
    edited September 2008
    so have you seen the rest of the show yet, because otherwise you have no place saying whether or not it's pushing any boundaries

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2008
    so have you seen the rest of the show yet, because otherwise you have no place saying whether or not it's pushing any boundaries
    Yeah, I know. Good thing we were arguing about the show theoretically using a bland format of presenting the plot. Which is why I said...I hope they don't. But it's kind of difficult for the genre, I agree.

But seeing something new come out of the genre couldn't hurt either.

srsizzy on
    edited September 2008
    He just wants to hate it.

His loss.

The_Scarab on