As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deleted

Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
-

Andrew_Jay on

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    So he might be upgraded from Kim Jong-Il to Kim Jong-Ded?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    IS this good news, or bad news though?

SkutSkut on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Nothing will change. 2nd in power succeeds.

Or there will be political strife for power within their ranks.

Either way there is no telling because the government is so secretive to begin with.

SkyGheNe on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    "Kim Jong-Il may be dead. New successor may be better or worse."

This is the best kind of news.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    At least it's not a situation like Pakistan, where the country has had nukes long enough and the military power is decentralized enough that nobody will try anything stupid. That doesn't make for good History Channel at all.

TL DR on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If kim is really dead though, it opens the door for potential negotiations. People might be vying for influence.

SkyGheNe on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "It's been 5 weeks since Kim Jong-Il was torn apart by a pack of wild dogs, and the world is still glad to be rid of him."

Tach on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Isn't daddy still in charge? How will the people react when they find out that their Glorious Leader's son is also not dead but not.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Isn't daddy still in charge? How will the people react when they find out that their Glorious Leader's son is also not dead but not.

"daddy" has been long dead.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Probably bad news. There were rumours that the military were mightily upset about him shutting down Yongbyon. The moderates in the foreign ministry were the only ones who supported it.

So, if he dies, then there is the question of who will succeed him:
    - One of his sons... either the crazy eldest one who was busted entering Japan with a fake passport (giving his name as "Fat Bear") in order to visit Tokyo Disneyland... or the second one, who is apparently an obsessive Eric Clapton fan.
    - Someone from the Government, possibly from the foreign ministry. Not likely.
    - Someone from the military. The worst case scenario.

Really, the most probable situation is that his second son will take over, but I'm sure the military will end up with more control of the country in the mean-time.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »

"daddy" has been long dead.

But officially, he's still the leader of the nation. His son is merely regent.

Dalboz on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    taking all bets

Shogun on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Stroke! Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!

Next time we see Kim he's going to have some strings attached to half his body so it looks like he's fine.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    we got em
    american-flag.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait, is this the part where we marge this thread with the thread about a secret military weapon?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Michael Phelps and Lance Armstrong killed Kim Jong Il!

Speaker on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge marge

haha

Local H Jay on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    North Korea could use more Eric Clapton.

But even with all those specially trained guards, it's sickness that got 'em.

James on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nows the time to be winning hearts and minds over there gentlemen.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, if he's dead, I think we'll lose all hope of winning the heart of Korea's dictator through the power of fine cinema.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder if a flock of cranes will descend and carry him up to the sun like his father before him?

edit: yes, they actually believe that shit. Or at least cram it down the throats of their citizens.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A stroke?

I heard he committed suicide because his CoD4 clan kept losing to Vlad Putin's. He just couldn't take it anymore.

citizen059 on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If he's on his death bed maybe he'll nuke the crap out of us cuz his time is almost up anyways!

I hope some tabloid picks up my idea.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited September 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    yes, they actually believe that shit. Or at least cram it down the throats of their citizens.

Even better is the constant media attention on the wall that South Korea (and the US) built along the border with the North (in the DMZ). The DPRK media states that the construction of the massive wall shows that the South has no plans to reunite. The South has blatantly ignored all pleas from the North to tear the wall down in the name of reconciliation, and refuses acknowledge that the wall is causing tensions. The issue is a major part of the DPRK propaganda against the South.
    The wall doesn't actually exist.

Marlor on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Marlor wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    yes, they actually believe that shit. Or at least cram it down the throats of their citizens.

Even better is the constant media attention on the wall that South Korea (and the US) built along the border with the North (in the DMZ). The DPRK media states that the construction of the massive wall shows that the South has no plans to reunite. The South has blatantly ignored all pleas from the North to tear the wall down in the name of reconciliation, and refuses acknowledge that the wall is causing tensions. The issue is a major part of the DPRK propaganda against the South.
    The wall doesn't actually exist.

I like the propaganda town.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Village
    A guidebook published in the north states: "In this village located in the Demilitarized Zone is the Panmun Cooperative Farm embracing over 200 households. The village has a kindergarten, creche [day care], senior middle school and a people's hospital."[4] At various times field workers and building workers are seen in Kijŏng-dong. However, many in the south believe that Kijŏng-dong was built within the DMZ purely for the purpose of propaganda. The village reportedly has no residents except soldiers. At night lights come on in some of the buildings, but they turn on in the same buildings every night at the same time.

The world's highest flag tower[5] stands at the entrance of Kijŏng-dong (160 meters tall) flying a North Korean flag. This tower was not originally as tall as it is now, but when the flag pole in Taeseong-dong was extended, thus making it taller than the Kijŏng-dong pole, the North again quickly extended their pole in what some have called the “flagpole war” (깃대 전쟁).[6]
    In the North, Gijeong-dong, or as it is called in North Korea, "Peace Village," has only a small caretaker population. Through the armistice agreement the North felt that it should be allowed a town within the borders of the DMZ since the South already had one. UN troops call this Propaganda Village because only a small group of people cleaning and turning on lights reside within the village. Although from afar it appears to be a modern village, one can tell with binoculars that there is no glass within the windows of the buildings. In the past, North Korean propaganda was sent out by loudspeaker across to Daeseong-dong for as much as 20 hours per day, and reciprocal pop music and South Korean exhortations blasted back. These broadcasts ceased by mutual agreement in 2004.

Couscous on
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    In the past, North Korean propaganda was sent out by loudspeaker across to Daeseong-dong for as much as 20 hours per day, and reciprocal pop music and South Korean exhortations blasted back. These broadcasts ceased by mutual agreement in 2004.

During the 2002 World Cup, the South blasted commentary from the games across the DMZ. I guess this was part of the same loudspeaker war.

Marlor on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One of my favorite things about the DMZ is that the US soldiers there have a height requirement of like 6 foot 3 inches to become guards or somewhere around there. We are essentially trying to convince the North that white people are giants.

Personally I hope the Clapton fan succeeds, that sounds like it could go well.

Neaden on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Neaden wrote: »
    One of my favorite things about the DMZ is that the US soldiers there have a height requirement of like 6 foot 3 inches to become guards or somewhere around there. We are essentially trying to convince the North that white people are giants.

Personally I hope the Clapton fan succeeds, that sounds like it could go well.

Spike his drink and put on Wheels of Fire.

Sheep on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    North Korea is easily the most fucked up country in the world. I mean, there is no other place in history where a populace has been brainwashed to believe the craziest things with such efficiency. Read some eyewitness accounts, it's insane.

DarkCrawler on
  • edited September 2008
    I thought this post was about his skills on the mic...sigh.

I think I heard something about North Korea having the world's biggest flag there or something, its supposedly so big it can't really even move in the wind.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I think I heard something about North Korea having the world's biggest flag there or something, its supposedly so big it can't really even move in the wind.

Well, when I was on the tour to the DMZ two months ago, it was flapping well. It takes a hell of a lot of wind to get it moving though. It is on one of the largest flag poles in the world though.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Even more shocking, some guy in Japan claims he's actually been dead for five years, and portrayed by a crude marionette ever since.

No, he just saw Team America and got really confused.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Torgo wrote: »

Well, when I was on the tour to the DMZ two months ago, it was flapping well. It takes a hell of a lot of wind to get it moving though. It is on one of the largest flag poles in the world though.

The
    largest flag pole.

DarkCrawler on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

The
    largest flag pole.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Gijeong-ri_Flag.jpg

that thing is gigantic.

FyreWulff on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

The
    largest flag pole.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Gijeong-ri_Flag.jpg

that thing is gigantic.

It's the Eiffel tower of flagpoles.

3lwap0 on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    North Korea is easily the most fucked up country in the world. I mean, there is no other place in history where a populace has been brainwashed to believe the craziest things with such efficiency. Read some eyewitness accounts, it's insane.

There's a documentary where some western journalist got in with a team of opthamologists (IIRC) by posing as an assistant who was filming the procedures to train more doctors coming over to do aid work. During the visit she actually got a few interviews with NK nationals. The stuff that people believe there is absolutely insane.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gooey wrote: »

There's a documentary where some western journalist got in with a team of opthamologists (IIRC) by posing as an assistant who was filming the procedures to train more doctors coming over to do aid work. During the visit she actually got a few interviews with NK nationals. The stuff that people believe there is absolutely insane.

...like? You can't just leave us hanging like that.

Crimson King on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gooey wrote: »

...like? You can't just leave us hanging like that.

The procedures they were doing seemed to mostly be removal of cadaracs and that sort of thing. They were doing the procedures inside this building that was one giant room. It was set up like a church, pews all in rows with an aisle, facing a stage/altar/raised-type-part where they were doing the actual procedures. Where Jesus/a cross would be in a church up behind the stage on the wall, there was a giant portrait of Kim Jong Il. Every time they finished with a patient, the patient would immediately get up, walk to the front of the stage, bow to the portrait and thank "Our Glorious Leader" for fixing their eyes. Not the doctors. One old man even started to spout off about how he was going to take a gun and kill all the Americans, even though some among the doctors that had just helped him were clearly American.

Later she was with a North Korean family and was filming them during dinner. Instead of a prayer they thanked their "Glorious Leader" for their food. They ate in silence, being very polite, eating very efficiently. Suddenly, the lights cut off. The power has been turned off for the night, like it always is. Instantly, the wife goes from the epitome of an east-Asian stereotypical polite housewive to a screaming, cursing, foaming-at-the-mouth she-devil.

"Fucking Americans! Can't even let us eat our fucking dinner in peace! I'll kill them! I'll kill them!" and so on.

They were not told that the power was cut off because the government couldn't afford it, they were told that the power was cut off because the Americans bombed their power plants every night.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmmm, so South Korea says he had a stroke, albeit one that he can recover from.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Stroke! Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!

Next time we see Kim he's going to have some strings attached to half his body so it looks like he's fine.

These guys should be available:

weekend-at-bernies.jpg

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.