As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkfall] It's alive and kicking and burning down your town

• SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think it looks as lame as everyone seems to think. Sure it has issues but the premise is cool. If it is ever released here in a playable form and I'm not still playing WAR then i'd deffinately give it a shot.

Sonork on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I agree. I mean I realize that the animations could use some polish and parts of the game look a bit dated, but where's everyone getting that this game looks like ass? I would suggest downloading the video in HD from the main site (warning: ~700MB) and watching that. I personally think parts of the game look awesome. And finally: massive, shiny suits of plate armor. No more fucking clown suits - fuck you Blizzard.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, they've stated that you can just buy the Euro version and play on those servers until the have a deal in the US, and then freely play on the USA servers with the same account. Can't remember where exactly I read that but I did.

stimtokolos on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    No other dev team has openly stated they drew inspiration mainly from UO.

That's... well... not true at all. [citation needed], I know, but I know several devs have drawn inspiration from old UO, Shadowbane the main one of the bunch.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Shadowbane was billed as a successor to UO.

Hmm... I believe you are right.

However, I dismiss any claims that Shadowbane is any sort of successor to UO. It is so far removed in it's ruleset that it is nothing like UO.

DFO at least has more similarities to UO beyond FFA PvP.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • VellyrVellyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, they've stated that you can just buy the Euro version and play on those servers until the have a deal in the US, and then freely play on the USA servers with the same account. Can't remember where exactly I read that but I did.

You can, if you're willing to pay the subscription fee in Euros (~$22.50/month)

Vellyr on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll play this! Think they'll honor the guild beta spot?

Go play that other beta that you're supposed to be testing.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    KingMole wrote: »

Go play that other beta that you're supposed to be testing.

Shutuppp, it wasn't online earlier today so I've been messing around.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Am I the only one who noticed the giant ass paddle of doom in the first video?

Was being spanked to death in Sociolotron? Or is this the first MMO to incorporate it?

What's next, being stabbed with soft cushions? Giving them the Comfy Chair?

/teasing off

The graphics don't look too bad for being an independent game, IMO.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • TokledTokled Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To all the people ragging on the graphics, its worth mentioning that the game is being designed to be playable during battles between hundreds of players on low to mid range systems.

Games like WoW don't need to worry about this, since the game is designed for small groups (both in pvm and its laughable pvp).

I see Darkfall as a niche game. Most of the mainstream MMO crowd who enjoy games like WoW and EQ probably will be put off by some of Darkfalls features. It caters to a player base that wants 100% open pvp, free loot, large scale warfare, etc, not the crowd who likes to spend hours in instanced dungeons doing the same tasks and fighting the same mobs over and over to get their ubershiny purple chinstrap, which they will use to... show off? Complete yet another dull instance? By the way, there will be instanced dungeons in darkfall... but there will only be one instance of it. So good luck making it to the end!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I did watch the video and parts of it did look wonderful, but at times the combat seemed like a mash fest. I was hoping to see more structured battle formations that took advantage of darkfall's highly touted collision detection. Instead all the battles looked like everyone running around aimlessly looking for the next head to split (seriously how do they avoid friendly fire?)

Tokled on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So have they solved the wolf-sheep (or rapist-rapee) issue somehow?

BlueDestiny on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The sheep will all be playing WoW, so Darkfall will be left to the Wolves.

Seg on
  • RabidTreeMonkeyRabidTreeMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darius Black - no worries, didn't see your PM till after I'd posted and msgd the mods :oops: Think you could list some of the info I put in my post into your OP tho? Some of the questions in this thread, like the graphics vs 200 players onscreen at a time would give people new to the topic some key info at a glance.
    Tokled wrote: »
    To all the people ragging on the graphics, its worth mentioning that the game is being designed to be playable during battles between hundreds of players on low to mid range systems.

Games like WoW don't need to worry about this, since the game is designed for small groups (both in pvm and its laughable pvp).

I see Darkfall as a niche game. Most of the mainstream MMO crowd who enjoy games like WoW and EQ probably will be put off by some of Darkfalls features. It caters to a player base that wants 100% open pvp, free loot, large scale warfare, etc, not the crowd who likes to spend hours in instanced dungeons doing the same tasks and fighting the same mobs over and over to get their ubershiny purple chinstrap, which they will use to... show off? Complete yet another dull instance? By the way, there will be instanced dungeons in darkfall... but there will only be one instance of it. So good luck making it to the end!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I did watch the video and parts of it did look wonderful, but at times the combat seemed like a mash fest. I was hoping to see more structured battle formations that took advantage of darkfall's highly touted collision detection. Instead all the battles looked like everyone running around aimlessly looking for the next head to split (seriously how do they avoid friendly fire?)

THIS!! Dude, well said and exactly what grabbed me about the game. When I look at it, it's got potential to be like a number of quirkier type single player FPS titles mixed into an MMO. Like a mish mash of Aliens vs Predator meets Giants: Citizen Kabuto crossed with Quake 3 and Oblivion turned MMO.

I'm still highly skeptical of it ever releasing this year unless they run out of money and launch it too early and it ends up being something horrible like AO, AoC or Vanguard. But then again, look at Vanguard now, it's turned into a great MMO, the devs just needed more time (and money) . IF Aventurine can deliver even 2/3 of all over-the-top gameplay abilities they're claiming, it could be as new and wild as Asheron's Call. If you read their forums, there are a couple guys who were in Aventurine's closed internal beta and they claim that they've done 100+ player battles with high framerates in battle and zero slowdown. Obviously these guys are Aventurine plants, but fuggit, the rumor is fun.

Beyond that, yeah, the animations look crap, and it's hard to tell if it's just BS mashing and meh on the physics in gameplay. The physics also look wonky, but even if they're only on par with Quake 3, that could turn out for great gameplay. This MMO, Huxley and APB are the ones I'll be watching while I busy myself with Vanguard.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008

I'll let you know in a couple of years.

Echo on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Seg wrote: »

The sheep will all be playing WoW, so Darkfall will be left to the Wolves.

Some wolves will just have sorer asses than others.

Echo on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This may, or may not have already been mentioned (I brought it up in the other DF thread)....but this game basically looks/sounds/smells/acts like Shadowbane at this point.

Unknown dev? Check
    Low-end graphics for "massive battles"? Check
    Completely PvP focused? Check
    Empire building? Check
    Chance of actually delivering promised features is low? Check
    e: Generic fantasy world? Check

I'll continue to treat this just like I treated Shadowbane. A mix of "please let this be real" and "no way they are going to pull this off". I ended up playing Shadowbane for quite a while, but it could have been so much more than it was, if even 50% of the technical issues had been ironed out. Lets hope Darkfall can be good enough to be successful in the hardcore PvP niche.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited September 2008
    Darius Black - no worries, didn't see your PM till after I'd posted and msgd the mods :oops: Think you could list some of the info I put in my post into your OP tho? Some of the questions in this thread, like the graphics vs 200 players onscreen at a time would give people new to the topic some key info at a glance.

The OP has been updated and all's good.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will upgrade my position on this game from "snide" to "cautiously optimistic" if they ever release something people can play.

edit: also I'm fairly sure we're past worrying about it getting released "early."

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited September 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    edit: also I'm fairly sure we're past worrying about it getting released "early."

Life is strange, anything regarding devs f**king up a game does not surprise me.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will upgrade my position on this game from "snide" to "cautiously optimistic" if they ever release something people can play.

"Snide" as in "I'm eagerly awaiting this as a Phantom launch title along with DNF"?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Tasos explains the beta selection process:
    Hello,

First of all, if you've made an error in your beta application, don't worry, we'll offer a solution for you to correct it. Please don't send us email about this.

The Beta selection will be in stages, based on criteria which include:

Hardware specs (we need to test on a wide variety of hardware)
    Your Location
    Clan beta applications
    Darkfall community involvement
    A degree of randomness is added to the process giving everyone the opportunity to be accepted. There are no guarantees that long-term followers or that clan beta applicants will be accepted, but there is extra consideration which applies.

We'll keep you updated with information as it becomes available.

Beta sign up order is irrelevant to the selection process.

Well, at least they're giving some preference to clan beta applicants.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

"Snide" as in "I'm eagerly awaiting this as a Phantom launch title along with DNF"?

that is essnentially the gist of it

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    oh god

just watched the video, this cant be a real game

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008
    If 10 million people can pay to play Runescape, then plenty of people would easily pay for Darkfall... IF Aventurine can deliver on 2/3 of what they're claiming. At worst, it gives us the MMO equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever jokes... forever.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    darkfall has been vaporware for like... 8 years?

they periodically release news, and gameplay videos. this is def. the most serious i've seen it, though.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If 10 million people can pay to play Runescape, then plenty of people would easily pay for Darkfall...
    1 million, and they only pay a third of what other MMOs are asking. The rest play for free.

Glal on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    oh god

just watched the video, this cant be a real game

It isn't, but maybe some day it will be.

Seg on
    edited September 2008
    pinch me is it an outdated game for 2002?

Unknown User on
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Videos didn't look as bad as others made it out to be, though I'm still on the fence until I find out what it's pve is like. I loved UO (First MMO I played) but I still like having something to do other than stab and get stabbed by 20 people at once every moment possible.

Typhus733 on
    edited September 2008
    The videos didn't expand much on the PvE side of things, unfortunately. But there's a lot of info on lore and creatures and AI on the main site. It seems to be as in-depth as your typical MMO, but with a more intuitive mob system. Supposedly they don't just randomly dot and patrol the terrain everywhere, but are situated in their own habitats, etc. Also, read up on the demi-gods if you can. They sound like they'll be a lot of fun to take down in raids.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
    edited September 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    If 10 million people can pay to play Runescape, then plenty of people would easily pay for Darkfall...
    1 million, and they only pay a third of what other MMOs are asking. The rest play for free.
    You're right, although estimates put it at somewhere between 1-1.5 million now. Their current 60-90million bucks/month gross is pretty good for a game that's been out and playable for as long as Darkfall has been in development.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If 10 million people can pay to play Runescape

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runescape
    wikipedia wrote:
    It has approximately ten million active free accounts

So by "pay to play" you mean "have a free account", right?

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

That puts Runescape closer to 1.25 million paid subscriptions.

Not that I play Runescape or have any interest in Darkfall, just thought I'd do a little research, since I was a bit surprised to hear Runescape was really that massive. Apparently it is, just not in a financial sense.

Edit: also; beaten like a red headed stepchild. Note to self; before you look shit up, read 3 more posts down the thread.

Edit 2:
    current 60-90million bucks/month gross

How are they taking in 60-90 million per month with only 1-1.5 million paying members? Did you mean per year, or are those players (that are apparently paying 1/3 the going MMO rate) somehow actually paying $60 per month or more?

Or did you mean 6-9 million per month, which still sounds a bit high at 1-1.5 x $5, assuming that is in fact what they're paying.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Honestly, for an indy effort this doesn't look that bad at all. If they follow through with their features list, I could easily see myself playing this.

In today's MMO market, we really can't expect true innovation from big budget entities. The cost of failure is too great. All we get are tweaks to "the formula." I'm happy to see someone take a MMO in a truly different direction.

This is coming from someone who played and enjoyed games like Pirates of the Burning Sea, World War II Online, and Planetside. Anything to spice up a disappointingly stagnant genre.

bamjo on
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know what other game doesn't have traditional life bars, no overhead names, pretty terrible graphics, horrible animations, awful combat, and tiny overzealous development staff? WurmOnline, which I've actually been a paid subscriber to for over a year now.

Any game that's willing to offer me level-less, class-less gameplay, I will give an honest try. I pretty much told my friends that I'm never playing another MMO in which I have to level up ever again. I'm done with levels, it's an outdated archaic time-wasting mechanic meant to substitute for lack of real content.

Promise me different and I don't care if all you've got is stick figures, some of us legitimately just want a different game that's not "the next WoW".

zanetheinsane on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd be quite happy if anyone actually created the Next WoW. Still waiting myself (though I'm cautiously optimistic about Warhammer Online. Very cautiously).

Glal on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know what I find funny? They seem to have no real system of progression here. No levels. So...no character improvement? Is the game even stat-based? A bit of that article says that all players have "roughly the same health." Well, isn't that fancy?

So basically everyone really *is* on an even playing field.

Fast forward. Or maybe rewind. In either case, move to the part where they dump on other MMOs for handing their players their 'hero' status (WOW). Which I can almost agree with in a way. But jerking off all over your game concept because it forces the players to earn their power and equipment seems maybe a little bit contradictory to the whole "Forget levels, everyone's fucked" mentality they seem to have here.

And I'm pretty tired of people insisting that MMOs be realistic. Especially when it's the same people who include things like magic casters and resurrections in their game. The world does not really work without death. If people can just be 'rezzed', or even better, simply walk back to their dead body and revive, it sort of takes away from that whole plausible world, suspension of disbelief thing.

You know what would be really realistic? When your character dies, they're fucking dead. How's that for hardcore?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited September 2008
    darkfall reminds me of DAWN

http://www.glitchless.com/dawn.html

Unknown User on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I always wanted to see a permadeath MMO with generational respawning.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • TokledTokled Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know what I find funny? They seem to have no real system of progression here. No levels. So...no character improvement? Is the game even stat-based? A bit of that article says that all players have "roughly the same health." Well, isn't that fancy?

So basically everyone really *is* on an even playing field.

Fast forward. Or maybe rewind. In either case, move to the part where they dump on other MMOs for handing their players their 'hero' status (WOW). Which I can almost agree with in a way. But jerking off all over your game concept because it forces the players to earn their power and equipment seems maybe a little bit contradictory to the whole "Forget levels, everyone's fucked" mentality they seem to have here.

And I'm pretty tired of people insisting that MMOs be realistic. Especially when it's the same people who include things like magic casters and resurrections in their game. The world does not really work without death. If people can just be 'rezzed', or even better, simply walk back to their dead body and revive, it sort of takes away from that whole plausible world, suspension of disbelief thing.

You know what would be really realistic? When your character dies, they're fucking dead. How's that for hardcore?

You are close but are only partly correct here.

It is true there will be no levels in the traditional sense, but there will still be character progression that is based on stats. Imagine the weapon stats in wow and thats sort of how it will be, only their will be a stat for pretty much anything a character can do, allowing you to mix and match to make your character however you would like.

Its also true that people will be on *close* to an even playing field. In a full pvp game like this can you imagine having differences in player skill on par with wow? A level 70 could probably beat an entire army of level 10s. In darkfall a very experienced player should only be able to beat at most 2 or 3 low levels at a time. The game is FPS based so I think the goal is to have a large part of combat be the actual player's skill, not your avatar's "level".

Tokled on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darkfall seems to take from Asherons Call as well as UO, and for this me and a RL friend are interested. Hell, he reminds me almost all the time that this game will be awesome, and he has unwavering faith it will come out.

I always remind him of Dawn then (another game we all wanted) and state I will be skeptical till I am playing it. But well, people on thier high horse about visuals need to get over it. Last I checked great grafics come and go, but good gameplay is what actually entertains you. If visuals are all you care about, go watch a movie.

However I still feel the only MMO experience I will ever actally like again would be a cstom AC server making it like the old days.

Kai_San on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Geez. I remember this game being talked about way back just before Shadowbane was released.

Bamelin on
This discussion has been closed.