As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hockey on] NHL09 - GO TO NEW THREAD

• K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Demosthorn wrote: »
    This game has a very MMO like pre release feel. I feel like I need to get started ASAP to get a head start. It's so strange.

I have a team already set up with some friends of mine but I am sure that will die off in a few months and they will go back to CoD and Halo for the majority of their gaming, I am definitely in with you guys when that happens.

I feel the same way. I am so excited to make my own player, get my dad in on the '94 controls, play with you guys on a team and just have a blast. Around Pittsburgh right now it feels like the 90's again, everyone getting into hockey and getting excited for the upcoming season. It makes me happy :)

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    K7 Avenger wrote: »
    This game has a very MMO like pre release feel. I feel like I need to get started ASAP to get a head start. It's so strange.

I have a team already set up with some friends of mine but I am sure that will die off in a few months and they will go back to CoD and Halo for the majority of their gaming, I am definitely in with you guys when that happens.

I feel the same way. I am so excited to make my own player, get my dad in on the '94 controls, play with you guys on a team and just have a blast. Around Pittsburgh right now it feels like the 90's again, everyone getting into hockey and getting excited for the upcoming season. It makes me happy :)

I lived in Philly for a long time and I'm sure that town has the same feel now. Alas, I live in D.C. now and everyone is excited but people don't seem to care enough. They have the best player in the league (sorry Crosby) but they aren't in a "We're going all the way!" attitude. It's more of a, "We're going to win in another 4 years!". It's strange.

Demosthorn on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Signed up as a LW sniper. Might not be able to pick the game up till Monday though.

Coming late to practice?! That is a fine of $5,000. And you are demoted to 3rd line duty.

Anyone else for what place we should be from? Vancouver? Pennsylvania (initials are PA...which COULD stand for Penny Arcade :P)? Kansas City? Some ridiculous random place? I will send out friend requests tomorrow. Also, now I have three real life friends (you are all imaginary) on the team with a potential fifth. That doesn't mean I won't play with any of you though because I am sure they won't be playing 24/7 like I will. Plus, if someone is a "rookie" and isn't that good at the game I would like to play with you and help you get better.

I am curious to see how they let us assign captains and alternates. I hope we can make more than one captain and two alternates. OK, back to Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. It will probably be the last time I play it for awhile. :winky:

I doubt the EAHL has so much depth. I imagine if a city name can be chosen, it can be anything we wanted and not limited to a list of cities. If anything, I'd think simply Penny Arcade Hotsteppers (or New Arcadia to tie in with the PA game) would be as possible as anything else.

I also don't see how naming captains or alternates would have any significant effect in the game. Since there are no line changes, it's entirely possible to play whole games without them. I'd think that if anything, the captains would be selected before the game (in the lobby, perhaps) and it exists solely for the purpose of the game at hand. But again, that's even if it matters, which I'm not sure it does.

Well, we'll know soon enough.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Lacerated SkyLacerated Sky Cleveland, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So in on this.

Signed up as a LW/RW Sniper/Playmaker.

And how could we NOT be from Kansas City if we are the Hotsteppers?

Lacerated Sky on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guys, why are you surprised it isn't in stores today? The usual MO is games SHIP tuesdays, in store on wednesday. With a few exceptions, that's how most releases are.

Either way, I went and preoreded while I was out today and they told me tomorrow morning.

NeuralFizz on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Cheeeeeeeeee! (happy noise) Only a month away from the start of the season, I can't wait! Let's go Pens!

As for the game, no idea when I'm going to get it, but at least now I am definitely going to get it instead of just maybe get it. I hope #49 is still available.

Schide on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I also don't see how naming captains or alternates would have any significant effect in the game.

That is not the attitude of a true captain. :P

I know it won't have any benefits besides just visuals, but this is hockey. There needs to be a C and two A's. I would think the coach assigns the letters when people start joining the team. It wouldn't make sense for three out of the six players playing a game to have letters every time. And giving people letters makes the game fun. People on your team start to get out of hand, you can yell at them and be like, "HEY! I am the leader here, now listen to me. We need to think and play more like Sindy Crybaby. Everyone, press the dive button....now!" :lol:

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited September 2008
    I also don't see how naming captains or alternates would have any significant effect in the game.

I know it won't have any benefits besides just visuals, but this is hockey. There needs to be a C and two A's. I would think the coach assigns the letters when people start joining the team. It wouldn't make sense for three out of the six players playing a game to have letters every time. And giving people letters makes the game fun. People on your team start to get out of hand, you can yell at them and be like, "HEY! I am the leader here, now listen to me. We need to think and play more like Sindy Crybaby. Everyone, press the dive button....now!" :lol:

Alternatively: "All right, we're down and need to start acting like the Flyers. Everybody take a kneecap and get shopping! Hey look, he's near the boards and has his back turned, hit him from behind! Hey, that guy still has some teeth left, try to knock them out with your stick!" And so on.

Schide on
    edited September 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Alternatively: "All right, we're down and need to start acting like the Flyers. Everybody take a kneecap and get shopping! Hey look, he's near the boards and has his back turned, hit him from behind! Hey, that guy still has some teeth left, try to knock them out with your stick!" And so on.

Old time hockey! :lol:

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

High 5.

Seriously the fact that they sold out the Igloo during the cup finals for away games is great business, but it's pretty hilarious thinking about it.

I probably won't get the game right away but if/when I do I'll definitely sign up with the hotsteppers. Maybe I'll make a huge (fat) Defenseman and call him Mark Madden.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited September 2008

High 5.

Seriously the fact that they sold out the Igloo during the cup finals for away games is great business, but it's pretty hilarious thinking about it.

I probably won't get the game right away but if/when I do I'll definitely sign up with the hotsteppers. Maybe I'll make a huge (fat) Defenseman and call him Mark Madden.

I wonder if he's still going to skate on a line with Crosby and Lemieux in training camp. :)

Actually I want him back on the air since everything else pretty much sucks for sports talk radio. The only person I can tolerate is Scott Paulsen, but I can't stand Eddie Crow. I like Stan Savran too, but his radio shows are just too boring. Oh well. Plus the fact that Mark will talk about hockey predominantly really helps.

Schide on
    edited September 2008

"Get some lumber in his teeth, let em' know you're there!"

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

"Get some lumber in his teeth, let em' know you're there!"

'Bleed on 'em... Let 'em know you're there...'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sign me up. I am a offensive defensive foward. Laonar is my xbox gamertag.

Laonar on
    edited September 2008
    I swear, if any of you guys lose this bad for our organization you will be fired.

Slovakia 82 - Bulgaria 0

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008
    I swear, if any of you guys lose this bad for our organization you will be fired.

Slovakia 82 - Bulgaria 0

I haven't seen a score that bad since the last Pirates game I went to. :| Poor Bulgarians.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Core wrote: »
    I am totally in on this. Grabbing the game tomorrow after work. I'll most likely be playing D and will probably be a Defensive Defenseman. I call #8.

#8? That is for Mark Recchi, right? RIGHT?!

Actually mostly for my number in real hockey, though I guess I chose that because of Brent Burns heh.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I am totally in on this. Grabbing the game tomorrow after work. I'll most likely be playing D and will probably be a Defensive Defenseman. I call #8.

Actually mostly for my number in real hockey, though I guess I chose that because of Brent Burns heh.

Ah, ok. That is fine then. Either you play real hockey or Recchi. My number is from when I used to play ice hockey.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Ah, ok. That is fine then. Either you play real hockey or Recchi. My number is from when I used to play ice hockey.

So is mine. I wanted #16 for Bobby Clarke but it was taken already so I chose #15 and it has been my number ever since, no matter what sport I play.

Demosthorn on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just arrived in Portland (I'm so lost) and am awaiting my stuff to arrive next week. But when it does, I'm taking my Sabres to the Cup (someone has to lead the charge, it might as well be me). Oh, and yea, I look forward to maybe meeting some of you ont he ice.

etoychest on
    edited September 2008
    OK, who is playing tomorrow afternoon with me since none of my friends are bums like me with no job? As soon as I get the game I am creating the team. I'm on the east coast.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy shit! You actually went with the Hotsteppers! Awesome! :lol: Too bad I won't be able to join in on this though. No Wii version. :x

But there could be a hiccup to our plans. A quote from NeoGAF's NHL 09 thread that was apparently quoted from GameFAQ.
    I was looking at gamefaqs and someone said that your EASHL team logo selection is limited to NHL and AHL team logo...is that true?

If this is the case, then I suggest going with the Calgary Flames logo to keep with the "hot" theme. Even better would be the Atlanta Flames logo, as it would make more sense with the A in "Arcade" that's in "Penny-Arcade".

125px-AtlantaFlamesFlamingA.PNG

Off-topic: WTF is with EBGames? Used NHL 06 for PS2 and Xbox is $5, yet the Gamecube version is $15. BULLSHIT SHENANIGANS RIGHT THERE!

I just want some hockey. :|

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited September 2008
    Not Arcade, Arcadia. Great plan. You can be on the team in spirit. What do you want your position to be called? Team Marketing Manager? Haha.

If you want a good NHL game for Wii/Gamecube, get one of the NHL Hitz games. That is the best you can do and it isn't to shabby because NHL Hitz is such a great series.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Normally I'd be on in the afternoon with you, but the one day I have shit to do is the release date. I should be on by 5 central / 6 eastern though. :)

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll probably be mostly an evening guy starting Thursday. Thumbs up to the ATL Flames logo & Arcadia Hotsteppers. I'm ridiculously excited for this game...

twmjr on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Im so in on this...eventually. I want it badly, but my budget took a hit last week and I can only get one game til next paycheck...and it is Rock Band 2.

So October 1st, I'm all in on NHL 09.

Right Winger. Proud Arcadian. Number 12 (Peter Bondra forever!). Gamertag MXRox.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd be up to this possibly, just can't get in a game for a couple weeks. house sitting for my grandmother and have my 360 over there, didn't bother hooking it up to the internet for the 3 weeks I'm doing it.

I call number 13

I put myself down as a Two Way forward, but that's mostly if I play center. If I play left wing I'm more of a setup man, but still thinking defense first.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Lacerated SkyLacerated Sky Cleveland, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    etoychest wrote: »
    I just arrived in Portland (I'm so lost) and am awaiting my stuff to arrive next week. But when it does, I'm taking my Sabres to the Cup (someone has to lead the charge, it might as well be me). Oh, and yea, I look forward to maybe meeting some of you ont he ice.

Holy shit! Another Sabres fan! <3

Lacerated Sky on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "you hit em' in the mind coach!"

Loved the demo and most likely will pick this up, but still wishy washy at the moment. I'll sign up eventually....I'm really holding out for that large contract.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not Arcade, Arcadia. Great plan. You can be on the team in spirit. What do you want your position to be called? Team Marketing Manager? Haha.

If you want a good NHL game for Wii/Gamecube, get one of the NHL Hitz games. That is the best you can do and it isn't to shabby because NHL Hitz is such a great series.

After coming up with the team's name and logo, how about Head Coach? :P As my first order, someone record a Hotsteppers game onto YouTube for me to watch. :lol:

And while I could get one of the Hitz games, I've got Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey on N64, and that seems very similar in gameplay. It's a great multiplayer hockey game, but now I just want one that can also be a good single-player game as well. I guess I just don't need more of the same.

I mean, I would get 2K9 on Wii, but I wouldn't want to pay full price for a game that doesn't seem to have had a full effort put into it. I've got no problem waiting a few years to find out what will be the best Wii hockey game, just like how I waited to get NHL 06 on Gamecube.

I am really kicking myself now for not buying it new and shrink-wrapped at a Rogers Video for $10 during the summer. :x Damn the hockey bug for not biting me back then! :x :x :x

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll be leaving from work around 2:45 today and will be able to play as soon as I get home. I am pumped! Cody, I am calling your ass as soon as I get out.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Our block had a power outage about an hour ago. Biggest scare of my life. D:

I am just browsing the internets before I head to Best Buy to get the game and a pack of blank cds to burn my music into the game.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008
    Gamestop told me this afternoon they will have it. I hope they have it before I leave work :(

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gamestop told me the same thing a bit ago...I guess I will swing by on my way back into town this afternoon and cross my fingers.

twmjr on
    edited September 2008
    I am burning a CD to then burn to my 360 HD to then use in the game. I hope we can cut parts of songs out of the full song, otherwise I will have a lot of work on my hands to edit music (aka I won't do it).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008

I am just browsing the internets before I head to Best Buy to get the game and a pack of blank cds to burn my music into the game.

Uh...what? What are you doing?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2008

I got the game and am creating the team now! Well, not RIGHT now. I just booted up the game and I am forced to make myself and do a tutorial.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008

I got the game and am creating the team now! Well, not RIGHT now. I just booted up the game and I am forced to make myself and do a tutorial.

No, no. Why are you buying blank CDs to burn music into the game. That makes no sense.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2008
    I burned music to a cd, then ripped the cd to my hd? Meh.

OK, from the looks of it, I think we have to use an already created jersey. NHL, International, etc. Suggestions?

edit: I am just going to use the Thrashers jerseys right now to see if I can change it in the league homepage or something. If not, I will wait until some of you post to get an opinion of what to make the jerseys. More info to come.

edit: OK, I can change the jerseys after I make the team. But it looks like we are stuck with real life jerseys. No custom logos or anything. No custom colors either. So, everyone decide on a jersey. Also, apparently I have to type in everyone's name for the invite to the team. WTF EA!?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008
    I'd pick a cool one from International or other just to look different. That is my suggestion.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg