As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kirkman's New Creator Owned Book

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Graphic Violence
So Robert Kirkman's got a new Image book called The Astounding Wolf-Man. It's set to debut in May and follows the life of one Gary Hampton, a rich guy who gets bitten by a werewolf while on vacation with his family. The book follows his dealing with the curse and using it to become a superhero. Kirkman describes the book as a mix of Walking Dead and Invincible.

So, more to the point, Image has decided that issue 1 of this book will be their Free Comic Book Day book, so everyone will get a chance to try it out. Read more about it in this Newsarama interview with Kirkman.

EDIT: I figured I'd throw in a few of the preview pics while I'm at it. Jason Howard, who is doing all the art, is doing good things here.

WOLF-COVER-2-COLORS.jpg

WOLF-COVER-3-COLORS.jpg

Wolf-Man_01_cover_500w.jpg

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As much as I love "The Walking Dead" I confess that I'm not a huge zombie fan. Vampires always seem to be portrayed as either effeminate Eurotrash, or just brutal blood junkies, so they don't do much for me either. But werewolves? Werewolves are 16 flavors of awesome, with chocolate sprinkles. I'm on board for this.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm right there with you, Judas.

Accualt on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    He should stop making so writing so many books and focus on getting Invincible out every month

And making Ultimate X-Men not suck

Garlic Bread on
  • CaptainApocalypseCaptainApocalypse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    He needs to work on the books he already has out. I want more Walking Dead and Invincible. I'm with Keith on this one. Kirkman's great, but he's spreading himself too thin.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    He should stop making so writing so many books and focus on getting Invincible out every month

And making Ultimate X-Men not suck

I'm on board with part two.

DJ Eebs on
  • Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm fine with Kirkman NOT STEALING MY IDEA FOR A FUCKING COMIC BOOK.

Now, I know that's not really true. There are no new ideas, just new executions, right? Right. I better get on that then. Fuck.

And yes, werewolves are 16 flavors of awesome.

Kshah777 on
    "He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
    ~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    Kshah777 wrote:
    I'm fine with Kirkman NOT STEALING MY IDEA FOR A FUCKING COMIC BOOK.

Now, I know that's not really true. There are no new ideas, just new executions, right? Right. I better get on that then. Fuck.

And yes, werewolves are 16 flavors of awesome.

Wait, your idea was for a guy to get bitten by a werewolf?

You should've patented it

Garlic Bread on
  • Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No, just a werewolf superhero. And again, I know it's not "my" idea. Hell, Werewolf by Night has been around for a long time now. I'm sure his idea is a lot different (and will most likely be better) than mine. It's just always depressing to see someone a lot more famous running with a theme I'm experimenting with. And besides, look how many zombie books have flooded the comics lately... I don't want a glut of werewolf ones to suddenly spring up and bore everyone with werewolves.

My other idea was for a superhero who is from a distant planet who gets his power from Earth's yellow son. I figure no one is crazy enough to dream THAT up, right?

Kshah777 on
    "He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
    ~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oh hey this looks rad

Sars_Boy on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's a lame sounding idea, but I'd love to read a book where a hero jumps a mugger and then has to fight off the urge to eat his eyes.

robosagogo on
  • CaptainApocalypseCaptainApocalypse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Robert Kirkman "...But after a month or so I found myself with some extra time on my hands..."

Bull. Get off your ass and make more WD and Invincible.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kshah777 wrote:
    No, just a werewolf superhero. And again, I know it's not "my" idea. Hell, Werewolf by Night has been around for a long time now. I'm sure his idea is a lot different (and will most likely be better) than mine. It's just always depressing to see someone a lot more famous running with a theme I'm experimenting with. And besides, look how many zombie books have flooded the comics lately... I don't want a glut of werewolf ones to suddenly spring up and bore everyone with werewolves.

My other idea was for a superhero who is from a distant planet who gets his power from Earth's yellow son. I figure no one is crazy enough to dream THAT up, right?
    I'm betting if someone already did, that it hasn't been published yet so far in the course of human existence.

No, seriously. It could be a quirky parody-ish comic with racial commentary.

TM2 Rampage on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm so down for this. As far as I'm concerned, Kirkman can do no wrong at this point. Yeah his Marvel Team-Up petered out at the end a bit, and I've heard his Ultimate X-Men kind of sucked, but he's proven that he can do some excellent creator-owned work if nothing else.

Munch on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Was it a radioactive werewolf?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This looks like a rip off of the werewolf art seen in World of Darkness RPG books.

Caveman Paws on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh great, another book I'll have to buy.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As much as I love Invincible and still buy Ultimate X-Men, I would give up all his books if Kirkman would come back and start writing Battle Pope again. I'm re-buying all the issues as they get released in color, but its stuff I already read. I wanna see how Jesus the hippie is doing and how many more women the Pope has banged since the last issue.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    To me, Robert Kirkman is the perfect example both of how "exclusivity" is an awful, awful thing for everybody but the comic book companies and how dulling doing work-for-hire can be.

Invincible is a great book. Super-heroes done right. Walking Dead , though I've not read past the first two tradeis, seems equally good. His W-F-H stuff though? Not so much. It's cool that Kirkman gets to work for Marvel, I mean it's obvious that it's something he's wanted to do, but if the work he's put out so far is indicitive of what he has to offer at the company, I'd rather he stuck to creator owned. Nothing I've seen him put out with Marvel has matched up to either of his Image properties, at least in my opinion.

At the same time, apart from Walking Dead he seems pretty happy staying inside the Superhero Pool. Maybe that's all he has to say. Maybe he doesn't really want to branch out, try new things. And maybe I'm just a grumpy jerkhole.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't wait to check this out! Kirkman's work on Ultimate X-men was kind of meh, but I've really liked everything else he has done.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hughtron, what about Irredeemable Ant-Man?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hughtron wrote:
    To me, Robert Kirkman is the perfect example both of how "exclusivity" is an awful, awful thing for everybody but the comic book companies and how dulling doing work-for-hire can be.

Invincible is a great book. Super-heroes done right. Walking Dead , though I've not read past the first two tradeis, seems equally good. His W-F-H stuff though? Not so much. It's cool that Kirkman gets to work for Marvel, I mean it's obvious that it's something he's wanted to do, but if the work he's put out so far is indicitive of what he has to offer at the company, I'd rather he stuck to creator owned. Nothing I've seen him put out with Marvel has matched up to either of his Image properties, at least in my opinion.

At the same time, apart from Walking Dead he seems pretty happy staying inside the Superhero Pool. Maybe that's all he has to say. Maybe he doesn't really want to branch out, try new things. And maybe I'm just a grumpy jerkhole.

Irredeemable Ant-Man?
    Marvel Zombies?
    I've only read the first three trades of Marvel Team-Up, but that stuff was nothing but fun.

The guy can make a good comic book, creator owned or not. But working at a big company like Marvel can really limit what can be done with their characters and in their books.

Kirkman and werewolfs?

Yeah, I'm all over this.

LRG on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LRG wrote:
    Kirkman and werewolves?

DarkPrimus on