As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] I Wanna Be The Guy! BONUS SUMMARY VIDEO! (NSF56K)

• LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    AAAARGH!!! This game is so frustrating!

I have no idea how you have had the patience to do this lets play, but props to you. The videos so far have been hilarious. :D

Lly on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just got to the beginning of the Ghouls and Ghosts bit, and it's so absurdly hard I can't help but laugh. Link was incredibly frustrating, but this is just over the top hard.

Craigopogo on
  • CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So thanks to this thread I downloaded IWBTG. I just (finally) beat Mother Brain and I would like to say Fuck You All for letting me know that this game exists. And now that I'm so far through it I have to finish, otherwise all this hypertension and sweating and swearing will have been for nothing. Shit.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just want to bring a little more stress and nervous apprehension into the world, that's all. I care too much.

joshofalltrades on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow. Just finished watching 5 and 6. I think i may have to go play some contra just to relax ... Great job!

Lly on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    AHHAHAHAHAH!! I BEAT YOU, YOU ASS-SUCKING WHORE-BITCH!!! FINALLY!!

My final death count was in the 1440's, but that is a complete lie. I had to have died at least 150 times on the last boss alone. Combined with the other deaths that occurred without saving, I had to have broken two thousand. BUT I WON!

To be fair, 90% of the frustration in this game was my own fault. If I'd had any sense, I would never have started on Hard. I am also 5000% surprised at the end credits not trying to kill you, thus forcing you to refight the final boss and go through all the credits all over again.

I can now rest easy knowing that I am The Guy.

Now play through it again and get all six secret items!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Out of curiosity, what was that secret item in the Metroid area that joshofalltrades decided to skip?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There are a total of 6 secret items in the game, and they are all parts of a gun (trigger, scope, etc.). If you get them all they just nicen up the room of divine teleportation, at least in this version. It's rumored there will be something different in newer versions...

Like maybe a harder mode?

joshofalltrades on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Those spaghetti-o's are not spaghetti-o's. They are RINKAS.

RINKAS

MechMantis on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I still haven't gotten any of the Secret items -I only know the location of 3 (Before mechaBirdo/ Before MotherBrain/ The top room before the return to the castle gate -double couch spring, im pretty sure theres one up there-), and kinda gave up on them on my playthrough-

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited September 2008
    Ordinarily I wouldn't hesitate to go the extra mile for you guys, but they don't do anything. I'm trying to do a 2 video maximum between bosses, so if I went after all the secret items I'd probably have to throw that rule out the window. You guys have more than enough to watch as it is -- this last part was something like 17 minutes long! I can't watch somebody else play a game for that long without something funny happening at some point.

joshofalltrades on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You could just get them after you beat the game. Between the room of Divine Transportation and your instant teleport to it after you beat the game it'd be pretty easy to get to the six rooms.

Actually getting the items once you're there, on the other hand...

Smasher on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just wanted to say, awesome LP. I cannot imagine trying this game myself.

Ganluan on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just beat Bowser, Wart, and Dr. Wiley?

Ready to bask in the glory of victory?

Getting burned by flames?

It's Miller Time.

You have inspired me to try this game again.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure when the next video will be up, but the next boss fight is my favorite. No cheap tricks but it's not an easy one. After that I think the only thing left is the epic finale climax battle with The Guy.

I'll be sad to see this LP end.

joshofalltrades on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You could try playing Kaizo Mario World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teAqRZX4hbY

freakish light on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    See, that didn't even look fun.

Cat mario is kind of fun though.

Pemulis on
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure I'll continue to do LP's after this one. I am having way too much fun making videos, though. I certainly want to keep on making them, but I need to think about what I'll do next.

joshofalltrades on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure I'll continue to do LP's after this one. I am having way too much fun making videos, though. I certainly want to keep on making them, but I need to think about what I'll do next.

Whatever you decide on, be sure to let us know.

Inquisitor on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Er, I don't think anyone is going to be doing an LP of that on here, considering...

Maybe we could get him to do La Mulana. Actually nah, I don't think that would work, it's not exactly something you'd want to do blind. Unless he's played it already. I dunno.

Schide on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Er, I don't think anyone is going to be doing an LP of that on here, considering...

Maybe we could get him to do La Mulana. Actually nah, I don't think that would work, it's not exactly something you'd want to do blind. Unless he's played it already. I dunno.

It raises an interesting question. Is a hacked ROM piracy / verboten? It uses game assets, yes, but it bears little resemblance to the actual game, and so would playing it constitute breaking the rules?

freakish light on
    edited September 2008
    Schide wrote: »

It raises an interesting question. Is a hacked ROM piracy / verboten? It uses game assets, yes, but it bears little resemblance to the actual game, and so would playing it constitute breaking the rules?

I don't think it matter because we're not allowed to discuss this sort of thing at all for whatever reason.

So shhhhhhh before we get carted off.

Schide on
    edited September 2008
    This is as good a place as any to bounce ideas off of people, I suppose. I was considering making a series of videos themed like a show you'd see on the History Channel or something, but revolving around death in old-school adventure games (like the Laura Bow games, or Space Quest). It would be done in a documentary style. Does that sound like something you would watch, or are you bored just thinking about it?

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2008
    Maybe? I'd actually have to see an example of that to see how you did it to know if I'd want to watch more or not. Sounds like it could be fun, but it's not something that going in I'm gonna say sounds awesome.

Schide on
    edited September 2008
    I think documentary might not be the best style for it. I need to find a way to make it funny and interesting. Not that some of those deaths aren't... I used to play adventure games for the sole purpose of finding every way to die.

I just realized that my videos are all involving death to some degree. I'm really not that morbid of a person, I swear...

joshofalltrades on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Whatever you decide on, be sure to let us know.
    Seriously dude you're a really good LPer.

Rent on
    edited September 2008
    Thanks. The PA forumites who noticed this thread have been overwhelmingly positive about this LP or else I wouldn't even be considering working on more. The only reason I'm having so much fun is because you all are so cool and stuck with this even after the first couple of videos sucked a giant twatberry.

EDIT: I just had the brilliant (or not so brilliant) idea of doing System Shock 2 while polling the thread in between videos for how to use the cybernetic modules.

joshofalltrades on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I agree with the others, this has been a great LP. I like that you took the time to point out some of the funnier deaths like the airplane.

Besides, the IWBTG induced tourettes has been hilarious. ASSLICKER!

Pemulis on
    edited September 2008
    Just a heads-up, the new 2-part video is coming tonight. I really tried my absolute best to make this a 1-part section, since it's one of the most boring (with the exception of the mine cart and my favorite boss, but those are both towards the end). One of the reasons I couldn't do that is because you're forced to replay an entire section of the early game in order to get back to the warp scene.

Don't expect anything terribly exciting in Part 7A. I tried to spruce it up with a classic Blues Brothers song to ease the pain of replaying things but it still falls flat. The final section will be much more interesting: we've got The Palace of The Guy to do, including the Hall of Former The Guys, an attack by a save point, and The Guy himself. So just suffer through this one, good stuff is coming.

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2008
    Part 7 is up. For some reason, it tacked the end of Part 6 onto the beginning of Part 7 and muted it. I'll take a look but they're up for now and I'm not interested in fixing it tonight.

Hmm, and for some reason the embedded YouTube videos aren't working. Just click on the link instead and you'll get them. Sorry for the technical troubles this time, guys.

joshofalltrades on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, I hate to even point this out, but it heightens josh's suffering and thus adds to our amusement (or maybe he just didn't choose to do this). You know you can simply run off the end of the cart and you'll keep the momentum for a few seconds, right? Seriously, that part with the cheep-cheeps was super-easy for me because I actually spent most of the time running in front of the cart. Then when the fish hit me, they'd only knock me as far back as the cart; then I'd hop back up on the cart for a second and run out in front. Rinse and repeat. That bit at the end of the fish where you run in front of the cart works for the entire cart sequence.

You knew about that and decided to simply throw away lives for our amusement, right?

Right?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think you should play unbelievably difficult games with high death rates, josh. Gratuitous and/or bloody deaths give bonus points. For that reason, you should LP Ninja Gaiden for Xbox next.

Rent on
    edited September 2008
    Honestly? This LP was the first time I have ever fallen from the front of the mine cart. Just a side note, I wasn't running. I was standing still and still staying in front of the cart.

You know, I had considered making incredibly hard games my shtick, but I'm not anywhere near as good a gamer as, say, the dude playing that super hard Super Mario World hack earlier in the thread.

Though I guess dying is kind of the point.

joshofalltrades on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Honestly? This LP was the first time I have ever fallen from the front of the mine cart. Just a side note, I wasn't running. I was standing still and still staying in front of the cart.

Yeah, it does that on it's own, too. I always ran because just standing there is unpredictable. And as everybody watching this brilliant episodes knows, unpredictable=500 deaths. Games like this are why humanity fears the darkness.

There might be spikes on the next screen.

Or a bloodthirsty full moon.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2008
    As infuriating as the point where I fell from the platform and barely missed the mine cart was, it was nothing compared to my fury at the Wiley fight.

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2008
    As infuriating as the point where I fell from the platform and barely missed the mine cart was, it was nothing compared to my fury at the Wiley fight.

Oh hell yes. The last boss fight was hard, but the Wiley fight is just a huge, huge pain. I think I said something like this before, but for that fight you spend 90% of the time basically just waiting to get to Wiley. Bowser and Wart are so easy that it's aggravating just having to wait through them to get to Wiley. Motherbrain is a much harder fight, but at least you get right to the action after that save point.

I must've spent 2 hours doing that Wiley fight just because it takes 4-5 minutes to get to him every time, then I'd killed. Of all the points in the game, that was the fight that almost made me give up entirely.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played around with running in front of the cart when I was first doing that section and figured out how it works.

Basically, at any given moment the Kid has momentum relative to either the cart or the rest of the stage. That's why you can easily leap out in front of the cart when you start on top of it, but when you're on the ground jumping won't let you keep up with the cart. As soon as you touch the top of the cart your momentum is set to that, and when you land on almost anything else it's set to the stage's momentum.

The one exception is the bridge tiles by the cheep-cheeps. For whatever reason (overlooked bug most likely) they don't change your momentum, so if you had the cart's momentum when you landed on it you'll keep it thus letting you stand still in front of the cart yet keep up with it. The reason it stops after a bit is that the pillars between the bridge segments act normally and reset your momentum. If you jump over them you can ride the track all the way across the bridge. With some careful timing I've even managed to go all the way off-screen to the left and get back onto the cart.

Smasher on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The documentary series idea would maybe turn out a bit like AVGN, I know AVGN focuses on shitty games as a whole but part of it is him dying and cursing. So yours would be like that I guess except just focusing on the dying part. Without actually seeing it that's all I can deduce from the idea, if you can make it different and original go with it. Although I would love to see more LP's like this one :P

atat23 on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Part 7 is up.
    Just in case you didn't know, the music for the minecart ride came from the Moon level of the first NES Ducktales game. A game, I think needs be pointed out, that wasn't quite as sadistic as this one. :P

WotanAnubis on
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the info, Wotan. I wasn't quite sure where it came from, but then again I never owned Ducktales.

Atat -- I'm definitely not opposed to more LPs, I just didn't know if most people prefer to watch a 5 minute humorous video instead of 17 minute segments of me screwing up. Of course, I could just do both and ask which one people like better, right?

joshofalltrades on