As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Okami gets Greatest Hits treatment: You now have NO excuse. [NSF56K]

12346»

• pinatasmasherpinatasmasher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I finally manage to pick this game up a couple of days ago on the Wii. I did have it for the ps2 but never really had a chance to even start it due a huge backlog of games.

So im about 16 hours into it and have just beaten Orochi. I must say this game is pretty amazing visually, it is reminiscent of the Zelda series but there are a couple of things it does better, eg story.

Like I said 16 hours in and the adventure is just getting even better.

It does make me wish Zelda games evolve further than the OoT formula.

pinatasmasher on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It does make me wish Zelda games evolve further than the LttP formula.

Fixed that for you :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    He probably watched this Japanese trailer. It's pretty much just a commercial.

Edit: My kingdom for a noembed tag.
    Edit++: That doesn't work for images but works for embedded video?
    [vidurl]link[/vidurl]

will not-embed youtube links.

FyreWulff on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So when is the Greatest Hits release? The Japanese date is 12/14/06, but is it even being re-released outside of Japan?

I've noticed Amazon still has some of their magically-restocked-every-so-often original PS2 copies, but they're just-as-magically still $40. If there's a $20 re-release without ruined box art I'd prefer to nab that to give away as gifts.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought I saw the GH version at a music store a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it was because I was stewing over buying it again for my collection.

Also the artbook for this game is awesome.

Adellios on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    So when is the Greatest Hits release? The Japanese date is 12/14/06, but is it even being re-released outside of Japan?

I've noticed Amazon still has some of their magically-restocked-every-so-often original PS2 copies, but they're just-as-magically still $40. If there's a $20 re-release without ruined box art I'd prefer to nab that to give away as gifts.

PlayAsia lists the Greatest Hits version as in-stock ($24.00), and EBGames.com lists used copies for $17.99, with new for $20.00.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited September 2008
    That would be why I didn't find it :) I'm not in the habit of checking import stores for anything but imports, and don't shop with EBStop. Any other stores known to carry it?

So far no luck with Target, Outpost/Fry's, Best Buy.

Edit: Ah, Toys R Us has it. Double Edit: And they support google checkout!

IceBurner on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For those in the UK, the Wii version can now be had for £21.99.

It's the HMV exclusive edition too, which comes with an extra sleeve.

LewieP on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gah. Every time I go to the store, I see this in the Wii shelves for $40, and can't bring myself to buy it.

To be frank, I'd love to own both versions of the game... but again, its rarity hurt the PS2 and the pricetag hurt the Wii.

Grr.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Athenor wrote: »
    Gah. Every time I go to the store, I see this in the Wii shelves for $40, and can't bring myself to buy it.

To be frank, I'd love to own both versions of the game... but again, its rarity hurt the PS2 and the pricetag hurt the Wii.

Grr.

Why would the price tag hurt the Wii version? They're mainly targeting people who never played the PS2 version, so full price is totally reasonable.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Full price is also reasonable for non-uglified PS2 boxart, if you're the collector type.

IceBurner on
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I bought Okami shortly after Penny Arcade started discussing it a year or so ago and now I've pulled myself away from other distractions to really get into the game.

Since I just started playing and I've got an unusual question..
    Instead of drawing simple circles or lines, will the game recognize the Japanese symbols (Kanji?) as commands for the celestial brush?(Playing PS2 version)

Noneoftheabove on
    edited September 2008
    I bought Okami shortly after Penny Arcade started discussing it a year or so ago and now I've pulled myself away from other distractions to really get into the game.

Since I just started playing and I've got an unusual question..
    Instead of drawing simple circles or lines, will the game recognize the Japanese symbols (Kanji?) as commands for the celestial brush?(Playing PS2 version)

Good question. I don't think so, I doubt it - but I've also never tested it. Drawing the symbol for "slash" would be unnecessarily complex, compared to the alternative.

Chance on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The game, at least on the Wii, can barely recognize 4 circles for a sidequest and then it actually does give you a kanji to copy down. After about 30 tries you might finally get it and heaven isn't even a difficult symbol to copy. Considering that, I doubt that any other kanji will be recognized by the brush but if it can be it'll take you about 20 tries before anything happens.

Gilder on
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well I tried some of the easier Kanji from the game manual, within the game. And it doesn't seem to recognize anything. Using only commands I have learned of course.

However there is one thing I noticed; (Playing on the Ps2 version) There seem to be two brush stroke methods. Square seems to be a thin line while Triangle is a fat line... Or am I imagining things and there are only two buttons that do the same thing?

Noneoftheabove on
    edited September 2008
    No you're right. Square = standard line. Triangle = pressure sensitive. The harder you press Triangle the wider the line will be. It's hard to pull off on the PS3 controller, but on the PS2 you can press Triangle very lightly and you get a superthin line. I liked using it for the slash, the wicks in my bombs, and for alternating the thickness of my pause symbol.

You know you think about Okami to much <i>when<i/>...

Chance on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's pressure-sensitive? Huh, never noticed that, as I tend to always slam on the buttons full force. I only used it for fills.

Glal on
    edited September 2008
    It's a disappointment Okami doesn't also recognize the Kanji for commands. A very minor quibble compared to this delightful gem, I will admit. Maybe I'm just in the early "training phase" of Okami and later on there will be more complex commands to draw? I hope so. If not, I'll just contend myself with imitating the Kanji from the game. It's not like the game forbids idle doodling!

You know you think about Okami too much...
    When you begin to seriously consider taking up Japanese calligraphy in some vain hope that you may actually be good at it based on your experience playing a game.

Noneoftheabove on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why would the game recognise kanji? I doubt most players would appreciate having to draw a complex character every time they wanted to do something with the brush.

Glal on
    edited September 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Why would the game recognise kanji? I doubt most players would appreciate having to draw a complex character every time they wanted to do something with the brush.

The majority of the time I would agree to this opinion. It would break the flow of the action if you were forced to carefully draw an intricate symbol in a fight instead of a quick slash or circle. All I'm sayin' is it would be cool if the game would allow for both quick or slow paint strokes for those who appreciate the art. Since the game does seem to mildly encourage artistic expression.

Noneoftheabove on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sorry to necropost, but I wanted to make an Okami-related announcement:

For those who ordered the artwork reprint from Capcom, they are apparently in the mail. I just received mine today. Actually, I received two (don't recall ordering two). The regular fixed Wii artwork is on one side and the second side is a spread of the artwork from the original site.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Sorry to necropost, but I wanted to make an Okami-related announcement:

For those who ordered the artwork reprint from Capcom, they are apparently in the mail. I just received mine today. Actually, I received two (don't recall ordering two). The regular fixed Wii artwork is on one side and the second side is a spread of the artwork from the original site.

wow!

cool

I hope the post office will forward mine, as I moved 5 months ago.

Xaquin on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From some of the news posts it seems that they sent everyone two covers.

I really wish I would have ordered, didn't realize I would have bought the Wii version anyways.

Adellios on
  • mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread pops up right after I beated the game!

Fantastic game indeed, but I can see the complains have some reason, and being too long can be a flaw if the pace isn't right, fortunately (unfortunately) I have so little free time that it took me almost six months to finish it, so pacing wasn't a very noticeable problem, but I'm sure I would get tired if I try to play it all in just a week.

The game overall seemed to me like a big homage to Zelda, from the obvious Wind Waker influence to the subtle Majora's Mask nods. And even with the poor remote implementation I don't think I could even touch the ps2 version just because how archaic and counter intuitive buttons are now compared to the alternative, I'll certainly never understand the position that ps2 controls are better.

mantidor on