As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] CE Headstart Now! SE the 16th, launch 18th.

• meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The frequency (every day) is definitely temporary, that's for sure.

I just started noticing the animation chop at distances after reading a lot of complaints about it. Doesn't bug me that much, though it should still be an option. I'm sure somebody has or will build a computer that can run the animations full speed at max draw distance just fine.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • SomnionSomnion Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I have a question with low tier RvR scenarios/public quests..

After the game is out for a while, the low tier areas will have less and less people to participate in RvR scenarios/public quests. The starting areas in WoW are almost totally abandoned.

Since high level characters just turn into chickens when they go to these areas, it seems that people who make new toons later in the game's life would be screwed and be forced to grind bears cause there are no people to rvr or pq with.

Is there something I missed? Or will they fix that?

Somnion on
    edited September 2008
    Somnion wrote: »

After the game is out for a while, the low tier areas will have less and less people to participate in RvR scenarios/public quests. The starting areas in WoW are almost totally abandoned.

Since high level characters just turn into chickens when they go to these areas, it seems that people who make new toons later in the game's life would be screwed and be forced to grind bears cause there are no people to rvr or pq with.

There will be a lot of alts? True, the starting areas of WoW are abandoned but not the early tiers of PvP battlegrounds. You can still play 10-19 just fine, 20-29..and so on. Same deal here with the Tiers. It's not gonna be instant queue times but given healthy server sizes they won't be too bad.

People will still want to play those earlier scenario maps later on and will level other characters to play through them again.

edit:

They could also scale the size of the scenario due to demand. Make a one capture point version of a three point map for instance. This would happen automatically when queue sizes stayed under 5vs5 for more than 5 minutes or something.

e2:

Some kind of NPC help when you're alone, or even less than a full party, in a PQ's borders would really be nice. They're great during peak hours but frustrating later on when there's about two other people within 100 yards. They are possible with just a handful of players but they take time, which the short timers don't allow for. Another instance where timers could scale based on population so smaller amounts of players could complete them.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • SomnionSomnion Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Well are you able to stay at a certain level to stay in that tier? Don't you get exp for killing other players? I know wow has the people who stay in 10-19, 20-29 brackets and so on but you can't level by pvp in wow.

Somnion on
    edited September 2008
    That could be the penalty for playing "down" a tier?

You can still play T1 if you want at 10 or 12 but no xp.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I dunno which of you candymancers is torgath or however you spell that name but you had the uncanny ability to find me with little health :(

Also squig armor is seriously making me rethink going black orc. It'd be no contest if I had more then one ability for it at level 11 but even with just the one I was a giant bouncing ball of teeth knocking healers and wizards off cliffs in nordenwatch.

Might you be thinking of Thorge? My Ironbreaker? I remember running into you multiple times in Nordenwatch. I took great pleasure in knocking the giant squig on its ass with my shield.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone else think that the respawn timers are a bit high? Stuff was respawning faster than I could kill it on my Black Orc in the starter zone.

Maybe they increase rates based on how many people are in the zone (I know Runescape did this with mining nodes)?

Scroffus on
    edited September 2008
    They may have bumped them to deal with massive population the first few days. The Chaos starter zone on Todbringer was wall to wall the first day. 10+ other players on screen all the time, quest areas too. Still, the respawn timers kept up with that and I had no problem finishing quests. Might not be dynamic...

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think it'd be cool to be able to shut exp off.

I definitely don't want twinks like WoW's ruining the scenario's for other players, but I'm dreading that I'm going to be leveling much faster than many of my friends, but trying to keep in the same tier as them. I pvp constantly.

Oh well, 10,000 delicious, sweet little tier 1 alts it is.

PS: I just want to say that Swordmaster has really snuck up on me and surprised me. I'm level 16 and I can send enemy players flying through the air with my spinny whirlwind sword constantly, and I think I would be a terrible person if that wasn't enough to keep me entertained for at least a few years.

Aeonfell on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So fast.

Fuga on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OK, so I'm having some confusion about trophies because I'm stupid. My baby WP just got his first trophy (that codex). I have a belt, I equip the trophy, and it doesn't show up. There's a little red "x" at the upper left of the trophy on my character sheet.

Does the belt need to have a special trophy slot, or, like, what?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sim wrote: »
    I'm loving zealot in groups pre-10, but I'm very frustrated at my ability to face any other player solo. Does this get any better later?

well my 11 zealot can tank pretty much any player

Actually killing them is another story, but if you play your cards right, any class should have difficulty taking you down 1 on 1.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Somnion wrote: »

They'll probably open up character templates eventually, either for noobs to catch up or to help an underpopulated side. They've already done the ground work. A lot of beta phases have featured templates to test the content and character power of specific level ranges.

I think you can still see the empty Template dropdown on the character creation screen.

grrarg on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think the game actually ran better for me last night. Much smoother and less slow down overall.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited September 2008
    31 megabyte patch available now.

edit: massive patch, can't copy-paste it from the patcher for some reason.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to stop playing until launch

T2 is deserted on every server except Tyrion and I've already decided on my main

now to wait for the regular edition launch

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Indeed.

what to do till then

Malkor on
    edited September 2008
    I will be playing condemned D:

I heard some people said it was good times

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Indeed.

what to do till then

Didn't you hear about the war?
    Empire joke...the NPC's say it practically every other click.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    31 megabyte patch available now.

edit: massive patch, can't copy-paste it from the patcher for some reason.

Yeah, it wouldn't let me do that either. Seem to be patching the audio file for a while.

Kelor on
    edited September 2008
    tl;dr version: Almost every class has ability description corrections to be in line with actual effect. Auctions are back. More gear and money drops in RvR. Overallf tradeskill fixes, additions and UI fleshing out. LESS SEEDS, more salvageable stuff. More graphical options. Loot bags on keep capture increased from 8 to 18. Entirely new help UI with appeal system, where a issue can be left and a CSR will respond or prompt for more information if you're offline when they get to it.

It goes on and on.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Aw man, less seeds?

Awesome. I just thought it was a thing with the game that I was trying to ignore on purpose.

I mean, why would a Zealot plant shit, then sit around and watch it grow?

Malkor on
    edited September 2008
    so he can brew vile healing potions that he throws at peoples backs

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aw man, less seeds?

Awesome. I just thought it was a thing with the game that I was trying to ignore on purpose.

I mean, why would a Zealot plant shit, then sit around and watch it grow?

Cause he needs some wacky tobaccy? I mean... he's a zealot and all.

Tried out a rune priest... was very very different from a bright wizard. Didn't notice any gimmicky mechanic like the bright wizard, just straight up DD, Dots, direct heals and HoTs... of course, only got to level 5 so... Anyway, I concur, healers are first targets most of the time.

Do any of the tanks have a shield mechanic or anything like that? I mean... taking damage for someone else or anything like that?

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    edited September 2008
    For those people complaining about animation culling or blurry textures at a distance, they added two settings for that. You can select High Quality animations and crank up the texture cache if you have a good video card with a lot of memory.

grrarg on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aw man, less seeds?

Heh, this was basically necessary. Seeds drop like crazy, whereas the salvage-only drops has an extremely low drop-rate. That will hopefully make talisman making a little more viable. Folks are saying that previously it was nigh impossible because of the rarity of stuff.

And it looks like I am pretty much done with OB. I'll be more than a little busy over the next couple of days, and really hope I can get in some hours with the Head Start on Sunday.

Hmmm... I will have to look around for the new Patch Notes, sounds like a lot of good stuffs :) .

Selner on
    edited September 2008
    Do any of the tanks have a shield mechanic or anything like that? I mean... taking damage for someone else or anything like that?

Yes, they can "guard" a friendly target and share the damage they take

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »

Uh, all of them?

grrarg on
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

Yes, they can "guard" a friendly target and share the damage they take

What level do they gain that? I've enjoyed being a tank in other games, was enjoying ranged DPS here, but might go back to what I'm more familiar with.

e: Err... I can't get to those links from here... pretty much anything game related... except... Penny Aarcade? Go figure.

Dyvion on
    edited September 2008
    I wish more people would activate the Marks I place on them with my zealot.

Malkor on
    edited September 2008
    Guard: "You defend one of your allies and try to take attacks meant for them. As long as you are within 30 feet of them, any damage that they suffer and all hate that they cause will be split evenly between the two of you."

All tanks get it at level 10. That description sells it short. If you have a shield equipped, you can block attacks meant for them in addition to splitting the damage.

grrarg on
    edited September 2008

So... how do you activate marks/runes? I placed runes on alot of people, including myself, and it says it damages people when they activate, but I never saw an extra Icon or anything, and just clicking the buff icon didn't do anything, and right clicking cancelled it.

thanks Grrarg, that's an awesome ability.

Dyvion on
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

This is my roommate when we're playing, cept he's a Runepriest.

Every time we group, he says,"Btw guys, those runes. You can activate them every 30 seconds now."

I just be like...fuck that....SHIELD SLAMMAN.

God...I love being a Dwarf Ironbreaker.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
    edited September 2008

So... how do you activate marks/runes? I placed runes on alot of people, including myself, and it says it damages people when they activate, but I never saw an extra Icon or anything, and just clicking the buff icon didn't do anything, and right clicking cancelled it.

thanks Grrarg, that's an awesome ability.

When you get marked you get a small icon right above the action bar, in the same place where different stances can be found for some classes

Just right click it and it'll do its thing

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008

It should appear at the top of your action bar. You left click it from there. I don't remember if activating it makes it go away for the other players, but I get a 50s cooldown for it. It's like an extra attack that no one uses.

Malkor on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Without being too annoying, is there some secret to downloading the client at a decent speed?

Tried the official torrent - slow as hell

Tried the Fileplanet dowload - had a multi-day queue

Subscribed to Fileplanet - downloading the file at speeds slower than the torrent

It's important to note that once I subscribed to Fileplanet the only option for download that I was given was to use their download manager so I'm unable to choose a server to download from, etc...

I was able to find a copy of the European beta client on Usenet and downloaded that in about 90 minutes so I think my connection is OK. Is there any way to use this client in the US?

Honestly, I think it may be the download manager that is screwing up the download speed from Fileplanet because I remember getting decent speeds from them before. Any way to get around using this damn thing or any other suggestions?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • MazrimMazrim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It should appear at the top of your action bar. You left click it from there. I don't remember if activating it makes it go away for the other players, but I get a 50s cooldown for it. It's like an extra attack that no one uses.

Wouldn't that be because it's more useful to have a powerful buff on you then using it up for a tiny little burst of damage or DoT or whatever?

Unless the mark remains on you after you activate it, in which case I should start activating them more often.

Mazrim on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dang, I was hoping they'd fix those bugged trophies in this patch.

Oh well.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man Dwarfs and Orks are the two best races in the game. They shoulda made the whole game around these two races. The problem now is deciding which race is going to be my main. I'm leaning dwarfs because it's quite clear that the destruction races is going to be overpopulated, and waiting 30 minutes for a scenario sucks. Now the question is; Ironbreaker or Engineer?

Casually Hardcore on
    edited September 2008
    Mazrim wrote: »

Wouldn't that be because it's more useful to have a powerful buff on you then using it up for a tiny little burst of damage or DoT or whatever?

Unless the mark remains on you after you activate it, in which case I should start activating them more often.

Pretty sure it sticks for its full duration. or until you die, which happens alot.

Dyvion on
This discussion has been closed.