As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nobody listens to techno

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    That song I wondered about two pages back? Nurzery[rhymes] - "Bloodline".

Echo on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Podly wrote: »

:^:

You should tell me where I can find that mix you played that had a really good reception recently. That's what you should do, I recall Klaxxons.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

You should tell me where I can find that mix you played that had a really good reception recently. That's what you should do, I recall Klaxxons.

By where you can find that mix, you mean that you want me to post the songs I mixed, don't you? :P

Siiiiiiiiigh, I'll get on it.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited September 2008

By where you can find that mix, you mean that you want me to post the songs I mixed, don't you? :P

Siiiiiiiiigh, I'll get on it.

You're a good man.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The only one I really don't like on that album is Tarantula, but it's more of a taste thing than anything else.

What out there is similar to it? I have a hard time finding stuff that hits me in the same way.

That's the problem; there really isn't anything else out there like Pendulum.

Oh sure, there are other DnB groups out there, but most of them aren't nearly as accesible as Pendulum, and a good chunck of them aren't even that good.

Kinda depressing if you ask me.

Godfather on
    edited September 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The only one I really don't like on that album is Tarantula, but it's more of a taste thing than anything else.

What out there is similar to it? I have a hard time finding stuff that hits me in the same way.

That's the problem; there really isn't anything else out there like Pendulum.

Oh sure, there are other DnB groups out there, but most of them aren't nearly as accesible as Pendulum, and a good chunck of them aren't even that good.

Kinda depressing if you ask me.

Skip the bullshit for the first thirty seconds of the LTJ track.

LTJ Bukem - Atlantis

Aphrodite - Beefcake

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I found this when I was trawling through a few blogs the other day. I really dig that sound (is it modern disco?) - Cut Copy (Hearts on Fire Aeroplane POP Mix is fantastic), Grafton Primary and a few others. That scene is pretty good over here right now.

Alan Braxe is playing at a local soon, so I'll definitely be hitting that up.

Glorfindel on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    That's pretty rad, I'll have to check that out.

The name Wavy Gravy just makes me think of vomiting, though.

gross dude!

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    That's pretty rad, I'll have to check that out.

The name Wavy Gravy just makes me think of vomiting, though.

gross dude!
    I know, doesn't it just sound wrong?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
    edited September 2008
    I don't get the wrong sounding at all. I think of a delicious bowl of gravy hot and steaming with a tiny man surfing the scalding waves.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Am I the only person that listens to VNV Nation?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Am I the only person that listens to VNV Nation?

That's a very popular band.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
    edited September 2008
    I don't get the wrong sounding at all. I think of a delicious bowl of gravy hot and steaming with a tiny man surfing the scalding waves.
    I think of vast swells of gravy surging, leaving globs and oily scum on the rocks :)

VNV Nation do some great stuff.

METAzraeL on

• JMC123JMC123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bionic Commando Rearmed's soundtrack is godlike.

That is all.

JMC123 on
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I recently bought the cd Decksanddrumsandrockandroll by The Propellerheads. I originally bought it just for one song, Spybreak! (the song from the lobby scene in The Matrix), but there are actually a few other good ones on there. On her Majesty's Secret Service, Winning Style, and Bang On! are solid tracks.

real_pochacco on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I recently bought the cd Decksanddrumsandrockandroll by The Propellerheads. I originally bought it just for one song, Spybreak! (the song from the lobby scene in The Matrix), but there are actually a few other good ones on there. On her Majesty's Secret Service, Winning Style, and Bang On! are solid tracks.

Just yesterday, I was reminiscing about how great a track 360 is and the awesomeness of the whole rest of that album. Major memories, there.

Veegeezee on
    edited September 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »

Just yesterday, I was reminiscing about how great a track 360 is and the awesomeness of the whole rest of that album. Major memories, there.

I decided that you can be doing pretty much anything while listening to Spybreak! and feel cool. I was carting my clean clothes in a rolly suitcase from the coin op listening to it and I felt uncontrollably cool regardless.

real_pochacco on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    where's will

cheowwww - bum bum diggacha dumm-dumm dummmmm

Veegeezee on
    edited September 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    where's will

cheowwww - bum bum diggacha dumm-dumm dummmmm

hell yes hahaha oh my god

real_pochacco on
    edited September 2008
    Is anyone here familiar with Decepticon? It's downtempo-y music, fairly minimalist, but they have some good stuff. On Lost Subject I like The Last Four Things, Bossanovastyle A, Inaccesibility, and Figural Phonograph. There are some positively awful songs on this cd (Veracity, for one) but the good stuff makes up for it.

real_pochacco on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I suppose a ginormous mind dump of all my dance music tastes is as good a way as any to start off posting here. I'd probably go far too tl;dr across the entire spectrum, so we'll just go with trance on this post. These are all either artist CDs or mix albums - I'm way too tired to pull up my entire singles collection right now.

Paul van Dyk
    Out There And Back: PvD's seminal artist album. Tracks like Vega, Another Way, Together We Will Conquer (with his megasexy wife Natasha on vocals), Namistai (co-produced with BT)....too many to name!
    The Politics of Dancing: Retarded title aside, an incredible mix album. For some reason it didn't resonate with me when I first picked it up on release day - I relistened about 6 months later and was completely hooked. I won't even try to start naming off the awesome tracks on this one.
    Innercity 2000 - probably his best liveset ever recorded. Mixes up his normal trance stylings with a bit of a harder edge (not exactly DnB though). I actually wore out the first CDRs I burned of this one.

Paul Oakenfold
    Tranceport: Some say all trance made after 1998 sucks. I personally don't buy that, but this album offers a compelling argument for that statement. Oakenfold's mixing was never the best, but he always had a ear for outstanding tracks. The Dream Traveler - Time and Gus Gus - Purple (Sasha vs. The Light Mix) stand out for me.
    Another World: Outstanding club tracks cut up with some Vangelis? Sign me the hell up. Another album with way too many hits to name - I will say that Highland - No Way Out still gives me goosebumps after 8 years.
    Creamfields 2004: Very underrated mix album. The 2nd CD's opener, Suzy Solar - Ocean of Love will leave your speakers wanting more.
    Essential Mix 1999 World Tour: I didn't get into dance music until mid-2000, and this set of 11 Essential Mixes makes me lament that fact. I'm not even sure how many different tracks he played, but it's a laundry list of the best trance tracks from that era.

John 00 Fleming
    White Label Euphoria: It's hard to find people that know J00F's work - one of the few to mix up progressive trance and psytrance in the same sets flawlessly. WLE is a wonderful primer to his work.
    White Label Euphoria Level 2: Even better than the first one, I never take plane trips without this loaded. Ofra Haza - Love Song (M.I.K.E vs. Zigi Mix) is the hilight of this one.

Armin van Buuren
    In Motion: Released in 2001, this album and PvD's TPoD pretty much cemented my addiction. Definitely more of a Dutch feel on this one. Solid Sessions - Janerio (Harry Lemon Remix) equals summer in my brain.
    Transparence: Armin's followup mix album to In Motion, and in my eyes his best compilation. Starting it off with Sarah McLachlan - Fear (Hybrid's Super Collider Mix) threw me for a joyus loop.
    76: Armin's first artist album, somewhat underrated in my eyes. Communication is legendary.

Tiesto
    Magik 7 - Live in Lost Angeles: Like Oakenfold, Tiesto never had the best mixing skills, but good LORD is he ever fun to watch and listen to. 2001 was a very good year for trance in my eyes, as proven by M.I.K.E. - Sunrise at Palamos making my pants tingle.
    In Search of Sunrise 3: Tijs gets a pass on any of the cheese he's produced because of this compilation. I've lost many hours whilst inebriated listening to this one. Nalin & Kane - Open Your Eyes should be required listening for any trance fan.
    In My Memory: His freshman artist album. Still good today. I had Magik Journey on endless repeat when I first played through Dungeon Siege - I'm sure it'd make any game more epic.

Ferry Corsten
    Trance Energy 2000: Ferry always stood out as a producer and remixer more than a DJ for me, though this liveset is definitely an exception. Basically 90 straight minutes of epic stuff, this liveset was a staple at parties for a while. I'm still on a mission to find every track on 12". Just try to ignore the annoying MC.
    Right of Way: Ferry's own productions always had a different feel than most Dutch trance producers - this album definitely shows off his style. It's Time is my favorite off of this one, mostly because I'm a gigantic breaks fan as well.

Sasha
    Global Underground 013 - Ibiza: Simply put, if you don't like Sasha - Xpander, I will destroy you.
    Airdrawndagger: Most people worship the closing track Wavy Gravy, but my vote for the best off of this artist CD is Magnetic North. Completely brilliant CD either way.
    Involver: GET IT. What the fuck are you doing still reading this? GO!

OK, officially too tired to add anything else. There's an unbelievable amount of dance music to experience - this isn't even a corner of a page.

(tl;dr I'm completely goddamned insane)

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is this a european thing, or are trance adepts stateside also huge douchebags? They are here.

Now what I'm into is krunk/mashed/electro mixes. Although it's difficult to get the source material without some serious digging.

My current favourite track is Bondo Do Role - Gasolina Crookers remix

L*2*G*X on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Recommendation:

Manuel Gottsching - E2E4

Most of what you know about modern techno started with this album, way back in 1981.

Sheep on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I suppose a ginormous mind dump of all my dance music tastes is as good a way as any to start off posting here. I'd probably go far too tl;dr across the entire spectrum, so we'll just go with trance on this post. These are all either artist CDs or mix albums - I'm way too tired to pull up my entire singles collection right now.
    Paul van Dyk
    Out There And Back: PvD's seminal artist album. Tracks like Vega, Another Way, Together We Will Conquer (with his megasexy wife Natasha on vocals), Namistai (co-produced with BT)....too many to name!
    The Politics of Dancing: Retarded title aside, an incredible mix album. For some reason it didn't resonate with me when I first picked it up on release day - I relistened about 6 months later and was completely hooked. I won't even try to start naming off the awesome tracks on this one.
    Innercity 2000 - probably his best liveset ever recorded. Mixes up his normal trance stylings with a bit of a harder edge (not exactly DnB though). I actually wore out the first CDRs I burned of this one.

Paul Oakenfold
    Tranceport: Some say all trance made after 1998 sucks. I personally don't buy that, but this album offers a compelling argument for that statement. Oakenfold's mixing was never the best, but he always had a ear for outstanding tracks. The Dream Traveler - Time and Gus Gus - Purple (Sasha vs. The Light Mix) stand out for me.
    Another World: Outstanding club tracks cut up with some Vangelis? Sign me the hell up. Another album with way too many hits to name - I will say that Highland - No Way Out still gives me goosebumps after 8 years.
    Creamfields 2004: Very underrated mix album. The 2nd CD's opener, Suzy Solar - Ocean of Love will leave your speakers wanting more.
    Essential Mix 1999 World Tour: I didn't get into dance music until mid-2000, and this set of 11 Essential Mixes makes me lament that fact. I'm not even sure how many different tracks he played, but it's a laundry list of the best trance tracks from that era.

John 00 Fleming
    White Label Euphoria: It's hard to find people that know J00F's work - one of the few to mix up progressive trance and psytrance in the same sets flawlessly. WLE is a wonderful primer to his work.
    White Label Euphoria Level 2: Even better than the first one, I never take plane trips without this loaded. Ofra Haza - Love Song (M.I.K.E vs. Zigi Mix) is the hilight of this one.

Armin van Buuren
    In Motion: Released in 2001, this album and PvD's TPoD pretty much cemented my addiction. Definitely more of a Dutch feel on this one. Solid Sessions - Janerio (Harry Lemon Remix) equals summer in my brain.
    Transparence: Armin's followup mix album to In Motion, and in my eyes his best compilation. Starting it off with Sarah McLachlan - Fear (Hybrid's Super Collider Mix) threw me for a joyus loop.
    76: Armin's first artist album, somewhat underrated in my eyes. Communication is legendary.

Tiesto
    Magik 7 - Live in Lost Angeles: Like Oakenfold, Tiesto never had the best mixing skills, but good LORD is he ever fun to watch and listen to. 2001 was a very good year for trance in my eyes, as proven by M.I.K.E. - Sunrise at Palamos making my pants tingle.
    In Search of Sunrise 3: Tijs gets a pass on any of the cheese he's produced because of this compilation. I've lost many hours whilst inebriated listening to this one. Nalin & Kane - Open Your Eyes should be required listening for any trance fan.
    In My Memory: His freshman artist album. Still good today. I had Magik Journey on endless repeat when I first played through Dungeon Siege - I'm sure it'd make any game more epic.

Ferry Corsten
    Trance Energy 2000: Ferry always stood out as a producer and remixer more than a DJ for me, though this liveset is definitely an exception. Basically 90 straight minutes of epic stuff, this liveset was a staple at parties for a while. I'm still on a mission to find every track on 12". Just try to ignore the annoying MC.
    Right of Way: Ferry's own productions always had a different feel than most Dutch trance producers - this album definitely shows off his style. It's Time is my favorite off of this one, mostly because I'm a gigantic breaks fan as well.

Sasha
    Global Underground 013 - Ibiza: Simply put, if you don't like Sasha - Xpander, I will destroy you.
    Airdrawndagger: Most people worship the closing track Wavy Gravy, but my vote for the best off of this artist CD is Magnetic North. Completely brilliant CD either way.
    Involver: GET IT. What the fuck are you doing still reading this? GO!
    OK, officially too tired to add anything else. There's an unbelievable amount of dance music to experience - this isn't even a corner of a page.

(tl;dr I'm completely goddamned insane)
    I was bored on my lunch break, so I fixed your post for you.

But hey, now I have stuff to listen to this afternoon. Win win.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    While this song is seriously overplayed it's perhaps one of the most chillified chillout versions of an electronica song ever.

Motorcyle - As The Rush Comes (Gabriel and Dresden Mix)

Also 303 Infinity is the band that kind of pushed me toward electronica 8 or 9 years ago when MP3s were the new trend. I found some of their stuff on napster and fell in love with the genre.

303 Infinity - Ethereal Mist

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since the list above, while awesome, lacks BT, I'll list his albums(of which I own each and every one) in order of awesome:

1. R&R - Rare and Remixed. A little of everything from all of his albums, including epic-length remixes of Remember(~6:52), Flaming June(~9:00) and an awesome track called Sunblind(9:00). Also collaborations with Seal, Way Out West(an interesting remix of Shame), Timo Maas, PvD(Flaming June and a few others), Sarah McLachlan, and of course, Tori Amos(Blue Skies).

The best BT experience, IMO.

2. Movement In Still Life

My first exposure to BT, and still awesome. Some of his best trance works are on this CD (Godspeed, Running Down The Way Up, Dreaming), as well as some off-the-wall hiphop & techno tracks(Never Gonna Come Back Down, Love On Haight Street, Smartbomb).

Classic.

Never Gonna Come Back Down, w/ M. Doughty

Mercury & Solace

3. Emotional Technology

His last real 'album', far as I know. The song Somnambulist finally got him some much-deserved mainstream attention, and it's definitely a stand-out track, but my favorite is probably the collaboration he did with JC Chasez: The Force of Gravity. Amazing song. There's also some interesting experimental rock stuff with Rose McGowan(Superfabulous), and the occasional hiphop track.

BT does a lot of vocals on this album, also. (The liner notes are hilarious. On The Great Escape: "You like that feedback sh- on the strings, don'tcha!?")

Somnambulist (aka "Simply Being Loved")

4. ESCM

It took me a while to find a copy of this CD, but I really enjoyed it. Lots of epic trance, and the original mixes of Remember and Blue Skies.

Remember (ESCM Mix)

5. Ima

Kind of a weird album. I didn't go crazy for any of the songs on it, but I'm sure it had something special on it.

6. This Binary Universe

This really isn't a music album. It is, but it isn't. More of an audio visual experiment than anything. Still makes for good chill music.

This Binary Universe

I had to special order it to get a copy.

And for bonus, this is a Tiesto song, but a great example of BT vocals:

Love Comes Again

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2008
    Are those fast motion highway shots in the Somnambulist video the same ones they use in the Cadillac (I think) commercial??

Weird.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The video for Flaming June is creepy. Then again, none of his videos are really anything special, excepting Never Gonna Come Back Down(Chariiiiiise-a!).

Also, JC Chasez appears in the Somnabulist video, possibly because BT had good ties with N*SYNC.

No coincedence that he produced their best song(Pop).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2008
    Alright, this is very very chillout, but I've maintained since I first heard this that it is my favorite piece of music, bar none, ever. If you don't like it, then you clearly have no soul. Don't bother watching the video, just grab a set of headphones and listen.

Orbital - Halcyon & On & On

Here's an incredibly pretentious review of it, but really the song is so beautiful that you'd have to write it like that to do it justice.
    Or I mean if you don't like it that's cool too, everyone has opinions, some are just wrong.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    adybravo
    can someone let me know exactly what genre of music is this song? ;)

FunKDoc831 This can be considered Electronica, it has elements of Trance too.

Chode4six
    Hard to tell, but the beat sounds a bit like breaks.

magicspud7411
    maybe breakcore electro dubstep
    ??

Genre discussions never cease to leave me confused.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are you awesome enough to have both the U.S. (Nettwerk America) AND European (Black Hole Records) releases of Movement in Still Life? :lol: The Euro release is changed around a bit - Smartbomb and Love on Haight Street aren't on it, but Giving Up The Ghost and Namistai are (the former being my favorite BT song no one knows about).

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    edited September 2008
    I only have the USA one, but you've definitely piqued my interest.

Also, just found this:

Tiesto w/ BT - Break My Fall

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    adybravo
    can someone let me know exactly what genre of music is this song? ;)

FunKDoc831 This can be considered Electronica, it has elements of Trance too.

Chode4six
    Hard to tell, but the beat sounds a bit like breaks.

magicspud7411
    maybe breakcore electro dubstep
    ??

Genre discussions never cease to leave me confused.

the one you bolded has no idea what they're talking about, if that helps :P

METAzraeL on

edited September 2008
    It does sound like a interesting genre.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2008
    Soulwax, in their never ending quest for awesomeness, have made an awesome website

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cyphr wrote: »
    Alright, this is very very chillout, but I've maintained since I first heard this that it is my favorite piece of music, bar none, ever. If you don't like it, then you clearly have no soul. Don't bother watching the video, just grab a set of headphones and listen.

Here's an incredibly pretentious review of it, but really the song is so beautiful that you'd have to write it like that to do it justice.
    Or I mean if you don't like it that's cool too, everyone has opinions, some are just wrong.

Yeah that's a good one. I remember starting a thread in H/A a long time ago requesting techno and this was one of the pieces that everyone there seemed to back up.

If you listen to the track with some high-quality headphones you can hear this nice extra melody added near the end that gives it a bit of a kick.

Godfather on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cyphr wrote: »

Hey, that's the song from Mortal Kombat and Hackers!

*ducks*

Yeah, I love that track, but I've never found anything else of Orbital's that I'd listen to consistently. Also, I'll second the above listed Paul Van Dyk's Out There and Back

Houn on
  • JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Orbital - Middle of Nowhere
    try that out, it's a great album imo.
    and "the box" I put on for days.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been listening to a bunch of great music on Magnatune, thanks to the game "Braid" for introducing me.

So far I really like "Etherine" which is not exactly techno, but ambient electronica. Isn't that sort of the same thing? Tracks from Etherine I think are great:
    #4 "If this is over"
    #7 "Tom"
    #15 "Some voices cry aloud"
    Well, shit, the whole album rocks my socks! And I love Magnatune for letting me listen to a crap load of music for free.http://www.magnatune.com/artists/albums/etherine-24days/

"Cargo Cult" is another sublime electronica group. It's a actually a blend of Electro Rock, which I think appeals to me more than pure Techno.http://www.magnatune.com/artists/albums/cargo-alchemy/

Noneoftheabove on