As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Daredevil: The Thread Without Fear

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Was that the story where that Jester guy sues Daredevil?

Robos A Go Go on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's probably the Bob Gale story

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I never read it but I recall hearing it was a very courtroom heavy arc, which makes me want to read it even more.

Accualt on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I do.

I know the game looks bad but I don't care. I buy all things DD.

i ask because you like all the superheroes with vision problems, much like myself

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It's probably the Bob Gale story

Sure enough, a little research yielded these results:

20-1.jpg

According to Wikipedia, the story arc was titled "Playing to the Camera." I know I've read those issues, but I still can't recall for sure what happens in the arc, unless of course it is the arc I mentioned before in which Peter Parker dresses in the DD duds for a court appearance.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    I do.

I know the game looks bad but I don't care. I buy all things DD.

i ask because you like all the superheroes with vision problems, much like myself

I was also a big fan of Horace Grant. You may be onto something.

Accualt on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really enjoyed the Smith and Bendis Daredevil, and would love to catch up on Brubakers run... but I absolutely refuse until they put out either OS hardcovers or an omnibus.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Was there ever a rationale to Matt not being registered, besides his being in jail/Europe during Civil War?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Was there ever a rationale to Matt not being registered, besides his being in jail/Europe during Civil War?

I love the idea of Daredevil coming back to America with suitcases under each arm and saying, "So, what'd I miss?"

Robos A Go Go on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just got Omnibus vol 1 of Bendis' run; I guess I won't be spending too much time on disgaea 3 like I'd planned.

animale on
    edited September 2008
    Ringo wrote: »

The Daredevil story arc was completely untouched by the Civil War, which was wonderful in my opinion. I'm glad that the book has been 100% untouched by external events for 10 years. Sure, I like big, universe spanning events, and yes, continuity is a bit weird with Daredevil because of its exclusion from events. But by the same token, we have 10 years of uninterrupted story arcs. Ten years where the editors have left the writers to their own devices and not meddled in the workings of this hero in the name of profit.

Oh, and regarding the Civil War, Daredevil was on the side of the unregistered. He was sent to their holding prison in the alternate dimension. Plus its not like he needs to register anyway, since SHIELD already has a file on him, and everybody knows, or at least assumes that DD is Murdock.

Lucascraft on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2008
    The Daredevil in Civil War was Danny Rand, who was filling in for Daredevil at the time.

DJ Eebs on
    edited September 2008
    Well since Geebs already pointed out that it was Danny Rand in the DD costume, that just leaves me with this
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Plus its not like he needs to register anyway, since SHIELD already has a file on him, and everybody knows, or at least assumes that DD is Murdock.

Which is an incredibly difficult statement to respond to without derision. I guess you could parse it so that it's saying there's no real reason to tell a Civil War/Registration story about Daredevil because so many of his stories have already been about .... I think my brain is melting

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think that Tony Stark said something along the lines of "We know who he is and I know he is a good guy, so he's under my protection." Or something like that.

deadonthestreet on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Uh, that doesn't make sense. He was captured during Civil War. And called Tony Judas.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Uh, that doesn't make sense. He was captured during Civil War. And called Tony Judas.

That was Iron Fist in a Daredevil costume.

They never reference the fact in Civil War itself, mind you, but it's verified later in the pages of Daredevil.

It still doesn't make sense for Tony to protect Daredevil and not the other unregistered heroes who easily merit as much respect and special consideration, but whatever.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2008
    Aside from the cognitive dissonance that comes from Tony being willing to punch it out and depower his new buddy Spider-Man and not Daredevil, I just don't think it makes that much sense for Matt to be avoiding registration at all.

Having just reread Decalogue and The Murdock Papers, one of the points brought up is that Matt's unmasking as an illegal vigilante would overturn any convictions that Matt/Daredevil had a hand in (which doesn't make much sense as he's a defense attorney not a prosecutor, but what the heck). I would think that having a legal sanction to clean up Hell's Kitchen and no longer having to worry about the legal ramifications of his being outed as Daredevil would have him at the very least weighing whether or not to sign up.

Of course, I don't really mind all that much. Like Lucascraft said, it's pretty nice to have a well written, self contained book. If the writing was constantly deralied by editorial mandate we'd have to wait until Bendis or Brubaker gave us a monthly Ultimate Daredevil.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2008
    I just realized on the DD Omnibus, DD has a ® smack dab on his face. It is fantastic.

animale on
    edited September 2008
    TM and ® ruin so many wonderful compositions it drives me insane. I hate that they are slapped on every last thing, especially when they are placed right next to a logo therefor off balancing the image.

Maybe Tony's thoughts on DD are more along the lines of "he's a good guy who has no real powers of use to me so he can play pajama man without an ID."

Accualt on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I just read the entire run of Daredevil up to this point
    Bendis' stuff blew my mind
    But Maleev was unable to draw an Iron Fist costume I guess

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    there's nothing Maleev can't draw

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Towards the end of Bendis' run there were a few instances of him trying to draw Danny and butchering the costume
    Like he wasn't sure if he wanted the regular shirt version or the collar so he split the difference and it ended up looking retarded, with a big yellow strip right down the middle on either side

Me Too! on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got the omnibus (the new Bendis one) and im loving it thanks guys.

(also having to put disgaea 3 on hold)

Ziggymon on
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    there's nothing Maleev can't draw

my absolute all-time favorite daredevil panel ever is by maleev.

it's the one when 100 yakuza come to kill him and ben urich has all this caption text about how when people really want to kill you, they don't talk to you first, they just do it. then the next page is this whole big panel of matt, not even in costume, giving like an eight foot vertical leap as he starts to beat the everloving fuck out a hundred guys with ben's caption "at least...that's how it usually goes". (or something to that effect.)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I dug the everloving shit out of Maleev's work
    But the way he drew Iron Fist was just not right

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    Man the preview art for the first issue of Lady Bullseye is awesome.

Call is blasphemy but I may like this dude even better than Lark.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Who's Lark
    Is that the guy who's done art for Bru so far?
    Because I dig that guy slightly less than Maleev

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    i think lark's in-costume daredevil looks far superior to maleev's

maleev's out-of-costume matt murdock is generally superior to lark's, though

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    i think lark's in-costume daredevil looks far superior to maleev's

maleev's out-of-costume matt murdock is generally superior to lark's, though

i find this interesting. who's going to be nice enough to provide scans of each for comparison.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited September 2008
    So I picked up the new Guardian Devil HC by Smith and Quesada. I just couldn't get used to Quesada's art after seeing Maleev's art in the omnibus. It proved to be too much of distraction in the early issues since the story wasn't vibing with me until halfway through or so.

I'm actually a bit surprised it's taken me 10 years to read that book since I've meaning to get it for the longest time, I'd just buy Frank Miller's visionaries run or the other Legends trades ahead of this one.

animale on
    edited September 2008
    I love Joe Quesada's art. His DD stuff is some of my favorites. Actually, he did art for a couple recent Spider-Man issues as well, which I enjoyed.

Daredevil: Father is a solo project by Joe Quesada. The story is only so-so, but if you like Joe's art then I'd recommend the book.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2008
    I liked Joey Q's Daredevil art, although I felt it was a lot stronger in the Mack story than in Guardian Devil

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It still doesn't make sense for Tony to protect Daredevil and not the other unregistered heroes who easily merit as much respect and special consideration, but whatever.

Because in the end, Tony runs SHIELD and SHIELD is not a part of the United States government--and that institution has pretty well established that it doesn't particularly care too much for Daredevil or Matt Murdock. As much as SHIELD has been a part of helping to establish the Initiative and all of that, it is still an American law and that makes him subject to the whims of a commission whose members include Norman fucking Osborne.

Also, Brubaker's interview about Lady Bullseye was swell. "Did you actually pick out that name yourself?"

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    I don't mind the name Lady Bullseye at all. It's instantly descriptive of what powers and abilities you can expect out of her, but it isn't lame like if it were "Lad" or "Lass" or "Mrs."

Lucascraft on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I forgot to mention that someone asks her that in the third issue of the arc.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    I don't mind the name Lady Bullseye at all. It's instantly descriptive of what powers and abilities you can expect out of her, but it isn't lame like if it were "Lad" or "Lass" or "Mrs."

No, it is still rather lame. I would rather they named her Precision or something.

Accualt on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

No, it is still rather lame. I would rather they named her Precision or something.

That's why you're not a writer.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2008

You havent even read an issue with her in it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    She is a lady, perhaps even a Lady
    And she is like Bullseye
    A Lady Bullseye if you will
    Not lame

Me Too! on
    edited September 2008
    What does reading an issue with her in it have to do with liking/disliking her name? It is a dumb name.

She could end up being my favorite character ever but it doesn't change the fact that her name is lame.

Accualt on