As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I haven't been [chat]ed like that since grade school.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guys, are there any true nihilists anymore, or just a bunch of poorly-dressed underage posers?

Does it really matter?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm glad I bought a Phase 90 today, it's a solid pedal.

Now my hand is sore.

James on
    edited September 2008
    I guess the Europeans are sleeping in.

James on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    were there ever true nihilists?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That is an old [chat] title, TS. Shame on you! At least change it to "I haven't been [chat]ed that good since grade school" for schock value.

Aldo on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    That is an old [chat] title, TS. Shame on you! At least change it to "I haven't been [chat]ed that good since grade school" for schock value.

For you, Aldo, anything.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Morning, folks. New couch, new Xbox, new knee... no new knee, but the swelling is nearly gone. All in all not a bad start to the day.

Haphazard on
    edited September 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Morning, folks. New couch, new Xbox, new knee... no new knee, but the swelling is nearly gone. All in all not a bad start to the day.

Hooray!

James on
    edited September 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

For you, Aldo, anything.

<3

Oh hi Haps, did you notice any improvement in quality with your new new xbox?

Aldo on
    edited September 2008

For you, Aldo, anything.

<3

Not really. Well, it's not as roaringly loud as the old one, but still much louder that the PS3.

Haphazard on
    edited September 2008
    Japan is a world leader in robotics, and in October 2008 a Japanese company will become the first in the world to begin mass-producing a robot that assists humans in moving their limbs. A research team led by University of Tsukuba Professor Sankai Yoshiyuki has developed the device, which is called Robot Suit HAL (Hybrid Assistive Limb) TM. Sankai is the CEO of Cyberdyne Inc., the company that plans to begin making this robot suit available for rental through sales outlets.

How the Robot Suit Works
    Manufacturing robots and realistic humanoid robots are just two of the numerous kinds of robots that are already in use. A robot suit is a wearable device that dramatically increases the strength of the wearer. Robot Suit HAL is worn over the arms and legs and assists body movement through eight electric motors attached to shoulders, elbows, knees, and the waist.

As it supports the wearer's own limb movements, the robot suit must detect how the wearer is trying to move his or her arms and legs and quickly respond. Most of the robots that have been developed so far in this field rely on sensors to detect motion and then activate motors.

This method, however, has some drawbacks. First, there is a slight time lag from when the wearer moves a muscle to when the robot responds. Second, people who are unable to move their arms and legs can't use such a robot at all. These issues had been viewed as obstacles to a wide commercialization of robot suits. Robot Suit HAL, however, has overcome these limitations using a unique method that senses bioelectric signals sent from brain, rather than detecting muscle movements.

When you want to move your body, your brain sends out an electric signal that is received by your muscles, which then contract, thus producing motion. This electric signal travels to the muscles via the body's nerves, generating a slight voltage of electricity on the surface of the skin. This is known as a bioelectric signal, and Robot Suit HAL detects them using the sensors placed around the wearer's body. Depending on the voltage running the surface of the skin, the computer inside Robot Suit HAL analyzes the signal and sets the appropriate motors in motion.

A Variety of Potential Uses
    This unique method of operation means that a person can control Robot Suit HAL by his or her own will, even if he or she is unable to actually move. And as the suit detects the signal sent from the brain even before it gets to the muscle, it can move an instant before the muscle does.

When a person wearing Robot Suit HAL picks up an object that weighs 40 kg, he/she feels as if it weighed only a few kilograms. Robot Suit HAL is therefore expected to have a wide range of applications, such as assisting carers, helping people with physical disabilities to move, and assisting people performing jobs that require a great deal of physical strength. In order to facilitate the commercialization process, Professor Sankai and others formed Cyberdyne Inc. in 2004. In October 2008, the company plans to move into a factory currently under construction that will allow them to manufacture up to 500 suits a year.

Several other types of robot suits are also under development in Japan. Toyama Shigeki, a Professor of Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, leads a team that is currently developing a power-assist suit, which will be used to help agricultural work. Their goal is to place the product on the market within the next few years. In addition, Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. has set up Activelink Co., a venture business, to work to develop power-assist suits. (August 2008)
    First off, we have them calling their suit HAL. D:

2nd, their company name is Cyberdyne. D:

3rd, this sounds too good to be true.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Haps, you have a PS3?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Haps, you have a PS3?

Yes, it's a nice media center.

Haphazard on
    edited September 2008
    Haps, you have a PS3?

Yes, it's a nice media center.

I believe I have an extra SOCOM beta code, if you're interested.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, thanks, but I think I'm swamped with games. Booked out for the rest of the year, so to speak.

Edit: Just read the asbestos thing in your urban explorer thread. :lol:

Haphazard on
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, thanks, but I think I'm swamped with games. Booked out for the rest of the year, so to speak.

Edit: Just read the asbestos thing in your urban explorer thread. :lol:

I still hold out hope that he was joking.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Hurm. People are still posting in Fuzzy's chat.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Hurm. People are still posting in Fuzzy's chat.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

James on
    edited September 2008
    Huh, I plainly ignored the Spanish Inquisition.

Haphazard on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

For you, Aldo, anything.

<3

Not really. Well, it's not as roaringly loud as the old one, but still much louder that the PS3.

Yeah why is that? I have a 360 and sometimes I'm afraid to play proper games late at night and have to play Arcade games because the disc tray noise is insane and might wake my family...

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »

For you, Aldo, anything.

<3

Yeah why is that? I have a 360 and sometimes I'm afraid to play proper games late at night and have to play Arcade games because the disc tray noise is insane and might wake my family...

The Wii sometimes does this sort of disturbing grinding noise which sounds like it's put your disc in a washing machine filled with pebbles, but it's never quite that bad.

Crimson King on
    edited September 2008
    Man, I don't know what consoles you guys are using.

All of mine are spretty quiet. (The 360 is the loudest, though)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2008
    My old 360 was one of the first generation (from 2005) and it was loud. The new is way, waaay less noisy.

Haphazard on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I don't know what consoles you guys are using.

All of mine are spretty quiet. (The 360 is the loudest, though)

My computer has 3 different hard drives. A Maxtor (really old), a Western Digital (slightly old) and a Seagate (newest). They each have their own distinctive sound. I can tell what part of my computer is being accessed auditorily.

Nocturne on
    edited September 2008
    I bought my 360 less than a year ago, but god knows how long it had been sitting on the shelves. This is Japan, I'm lucky they even knew what it was.

And I remember mentioning the RROD thing and checking what I needed to keep if I ever needed to return it, and the guys in the game shop were all 'There's a problem with the 360? Really? Never knew that.'

poshniallo on
    edited September 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »
    My computer has 3 different hard drives. A Maxtor (really old), a Western Digital (slightly old) and a Seagate (newest). They each have their own distinctive sound. I can tell what part of my computer is being accessed auditorily.
    Same here, my newest is the quietest though, I actually get annoyed when i hear my old HD or DVD Drive spinning, it makes too much noise. :<

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    One of the fans on my PC is pretty loud too, and it starts up with very little provocation. I wish I knew anything about BIOSs and stuff like that so I could check whether it really needs to be whooshing like that.

poshniallo on
    edited September 2008
    Little joys in life: last.fm playing a half an hour long classical piece that does not have whiny people singing way too high/low.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    Damn it! I have guitar parts to yet another song, and no lyrics.

I keep telling myself to put the guitar down and write some, but I never actually do.

This is becoming a problem.

James on
    edited September 2008
    James wrote: »

I keep telling myself to put the guitar down and write some, but I never actually do.

Do it like The Shadows.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008

Do it like The Shadows.

That would be interesting but is not really my goal :P

edit: i suppose i should try setting some time aside specifically for writing.

James on
    edited September 2008
    Maybe an Apache might help you.
    <.<
    >.>

Haphazard on
    edited September 2008
    <.<
    >.>

Or the F.B.I.

Going to bed, g'night!

James on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    <.<
    >.>

Or the F.B.I.

Going to bed, g'night!

I want to go back to bed.

DeShadowC on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ow

my brain

nexuscrawler on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love university. Random lady with a table and some placards on campus:

Al Gore
    Half Man
    Half Possum
    Total Idiot

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited September 2008
    Haha, the "German" in Fringe is hilarious!

Haphazard on
    edited September 2008
    There are no Plain English versions of EU documents, it seems. :( Now I have to dig through the Confusing English version.

Aldo on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    There are no Plain English versions of EU documents, it seems. :( Now I have to dig through the Confusing English version.

Are you kidding? If there were Plain English versions, the unwashed masses might get some insight into the bureaucracy set in place to guard against this possibility!

Echo on
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Are you kidding? If there were Plain English versions, the unwashed masses might get some insight into the bureaucracy set in place to guard against this possibility!

THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
    Having regard to the Treaty establishing the European
    Community, and in particular Article 133 thereof,
    Having regard to the proposal from the Commission,
    Having regard to the Opinion of the European Parliament (1),
    Having regard to the Opinion of the European Economic and
    Social Committee (2),

NO U

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.