As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn After Reading

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Scarab...its like you know me. :')

Pitt and Clooney especially were just inspired casting choices. I mean, Oceans 11 is arguably the greatest cast ever assembled. Everyone in that movie was on top form. Even smaller side roles were standout, the brother's by Caan and Affleck and even the chinese acrobat guy had some great one liners.

My favourite part was when they're in the circus in the audience, and Clooney is all 'this guy is nothing specia-' and then stunned look on his face.

Also, for some reason Rusty always eating disgusting takeaway food the whole film is just funny.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    casey affleck is a really good actor

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My favorite part was definitely the brothers racing, RC car vs monster truck. Reminds me so much of my brother and I.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    also i got all 3 ocean movies on hd-dvd for $30 total. i think ill watch the first one again tomorrow!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My favorite part was definitely the brothers racing, RC car vs monster truck. Reminds me so much of my brother and I.

Low batteries on the detonator is still great for me. Humour and tension.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Blanket of InsecuritiesBlanket of Insecurities Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I saw this tonight; loved it.

It was surreal to see Malkovich in a role since the last time I saw him in anything was when I watched Death of a Salesman
    I haven't been to a 14A movie (Canada) in a while - have they always shown this much violence? I saw at least 4 people with younger kids leave after the closet scene.

Blanket of Insecurities on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Ocean's 11 = best movie ever.

Not best ever but seriously superb.

I mean besides the jokes, which were spot on in tone and timing, the heist plot was great. The twist and the reveal expertly played out.

Plus the Vegas setting was cool and worked so well with those actors. Not to mention a great villain and a flawless soundtrack.

12 and 13 are not awful but not in the same league.
    Ocean's 11 had me on the edge of my seat the whole damn movie. It was very well-paced and...not intense, but something like that.

Like, I honestly did not see how they were going to pull everything off, even though I obviously knew they would. And I'm usually good at spotting the gimmick or the trick in those movies, but Ocean's 11 totally got me.

I have never seen the original Ocean's 11, so if it was somewhat the same in that then good on them, cuz it was stupendous

Jumping into this group of cats cause damn Ocean's Eleven is fantastic and classic.

Also, Clooney is wonderful.

Polago on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ocean's Eleven was radtastic

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've never seen Ocean's Twelve or Thirteen (did that come out?). Are they equally awesome or is it MK: Annihilation again?

Polago on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    George Clooney and Bernie Mac flip eeeeverywhere

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    anyone besides me gonna see Soul Man for Bernie Mac?

I haven't gotten to see Burn yet :( we did our screenings last night and I got second pick so I had to watch Rightous Kill. Which was really good by the way.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tell me more about Righteous Kill.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    I've never seen Ocean's Twelve or Thirteen (did that come out?). Are they equally awesome or is it MK: Annihilation again?

They are both pretty darn good. I think Eleven is still the best, but the other two are definitely worth a watch.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Polago wrote: »

They are both pretty darn good. I think Eleven is still the best, but the other two are definitely worth a watch.

Awesome! When i've got more than $2 to my name, rogers video will nab some business!

Polago on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I need to see this movie so badly

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm gonna go see this movie tonight

I am so excited. I want one of the posters as well because they are rad

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guys would you say this movie was more or less funny than Fargo? I am trying to make up my mind about it. I feel like overall, Fargo was much lighter in tone, but they are both funny in different ways.

Also John Malkovich is so good at being angry, and Brad Pitt is so good and being doofy.

Quoth on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    want to see this so bad

aaaaaaaaaaa

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    Feriluce wrote: »
    langfor6 wrote: »
    i havent seen tropic thunder yet, so maybe tomorrow ill go create my own buy-one-get-one-free at the theater tomorrow and check this out while im at it

coen brothers is one (two?) of those directors who i dont need to know anything about the movie (just like i dont with this one, on purpose) and ill go see it anyway

Your own buy-one-get-one free...I thought I was the only one who did that.

The theater I work at doesn't really care if people do that. We only get 10% of ticket sales anyway if that. Most of the profit comes from concessions. So buy popcorn and shit.

most employees at any place could really give no shits about anything that goes on there. my sister gives me free popcorn and soda! and posters... which reminds me i promised some to a bunch of guys. i gotta see if i can look around some more, i didn't find all the ones i needed to.

also do not buy stuff from theaters, sneak it in. your wallet will thank you!
    My personal record is 4 movies in one day (I was really bored and there was a lot out I hadn't seen) but I had to leave halfway through the 4th cuz I started feeling sick. My one rule is that I will only watch one recent movie (and thats usually the one I pay for) so that I don't go taking up a seat in an already packed theater.

I went and saw Pineapple Express, then snuck in to Hellboy 2. There were seriously 6 people watching Hellboy. I don't feel bad in the slightest.

Four is pretty impressive. I remember doing three when I was a freshman in high school, but I'll be damned if I remember what they were. The last time I did this I went to see Adaptation and snuck into Jackass: The Movie afterward.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have never snuck into a movie. I only feel the urge to see movies I really, REALLY have to see in theatres so I figured they deserve the 7.50 price. Other than that I just wait until the DVD release.

I have also never snuck food or drinks into a theater! But that is because I wear clothes a bit too small to do so with.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    I have never snuck into a movie. I only feel the urge to see movies I really, REALLY have to see in theatres so I figured they deserve the 7.50 price. Other than that I just wait until the DVD release.

I have also never snuck food or drinks into a theater! But that is because I wear clothes a bit too small to do so with.

at least around here, they have the signs and all, but no one short of the boss of the whole theater could give a shit if you just walk in with three candy bars and a bottle of coke...

i didn't think fargo was that funny. now what i'd like to know is how does this compare to the likes of one jeffrey lebowski.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i havent seen tropic thunder yet, so maybe tomorrow ill go create my own buy-one-get-one-free at the theater tomorrow and check this out while im at it

coen brothers is one (two?) of those directors who i dont need to know anything about the movie (just like i dont with this one, on purpose) and ill go see it anyway

The theater I work at doesn't really care if people do that. We only get 10% of ticket sales anyway if that. Most of the profit comes from concessions. So buy popcorn and shit.

most employees at any place could really give no shits about anything that goes on there. my sister gives me free popcorn and soda! and posters... which reminds me i promised some to a bunch of guys. i gotta see if i can look around some more, i didn't find all the ones i needed to.

My personal record is 4 movies in one day (I was really bored and there was a lot out I hadn't seen) but I had to leave halfway through the 4th cuz I started feeling sick. My one rule is that I will only watch one recent movie (and thats usually the one I pay for) so that I don't go taking up a seat in an already packed theater.

I went and saw Pineapple Express, then snuck in to Hellboy 2. There were seriously 6 people watching Hellboy. I don't feel bad in the slightest.

Four is pretty impressive. I remember doing three when I was a freshman in high school, but I'll be damned if I remember what they were. The last time I did this I went to see Adaptation and snuck into Jackass: The Movie afterward.

why would you go see jackass

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i saw Jackass once

now i'm dead

don't watch Jackass, kids.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

why would you go see jackass

That is an excellent question. Morbid curiosity I suppose. I was glad I didn't pay for it.

I've watched Fargo plenty of times, and it never struck me as a comedy. There are some fairly grisly scenes in it. The wood chipper springs to mind.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    coen brothers are usually somewhat grisly and comedic at the same time

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've watched Fargo plenty of times, and it never struck me as a comedy. There are some fairly grisly scenes in it. The wood chipper springs to mind.
    I can see how you'd see it that way, but it was definitely intended as a dark comedy.

I mean, the foreign killer dude loves pancakes. That should tell you something.

Coen Bros are fucked up

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just got home from Burn. It was awesome. J.K Simmons was great. You could tell how much fun Brad Pitt was having the whole way through.

The closet and basement scenes were fantastic. The look on Clooney's face in both scenes was great.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, ripping off a good movie is a sin. If you guys want to do a buy-one-get-one-free discount at the theaters, do it for a shitty movie that will make a ton of money anyway because America is retarded.

Don't do it to two guys who make fuckawesome movie films.
    I just got back from seeing this, and it was so much better than I could have imagined

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it's not really a ripoff if you go and buy the dvd after it comes out... it is kind of a ripoff to us that we gotta pay twice to have a movie...

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it's not really a ripoff if you go and buy the dvd after it comes out... it is kind of a ripoff to us that we gotta pay twice to have a movie...

You are dumb

that is all I have to say

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh and I also saw this movie tonight! It was pretty fantastic. very surprising

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    why surprising

it's the coens

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The plot surprised me

It didn't surprise me that it was amazing

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, ripping off a good movie is a sin. If you guys want to do a buy-one-get-one-free discount at the theaters, do it for a shitty movie that will make a ton of money anyway because America is retarded.

Don't do it to two guys who make fuckawesome movie films.
    I just got back from seeing this, and it was so much better than I could have imagined
    I know it doesn't make up for it but if you knew how much I spend on DVDs you would probably cry. Sometimes I do. And most filmmakers see a shitload more off DVDs than theaters, so I only feel a little bad.

And I would rather go watch a good movie that's already made a shitload of money than a shitty movie whether or not it has made any money. I do not get much enjoyment out of shitty movies, for the most part.

edit: oh and watched this tonight (paid for it), and was depressed at how few people were in the theater. Still, fun flick and strange as hell, as expected. It's like they did their best to break every major filmmaking rule they could think of.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I know it's bad, but I'm on a personal crusade to fuck over that stuntman from the movie piracy commercials. I'm too paranoid to download anything so sneaking into movies is my only chance.

I believe Peter Stormare loves pancakes in The Big Lebowski as well. Interesting.

I guess I can see Fargo being a dark comedy. I just never really thought of it that way. I think of In Bruges as more a dark comedy than Fargo honestly. Then again I'm not much of a film critic. For instance, I was flipping through the channels and came across Die Hard 4, and now I'm watching it just so I can see Bruce Willis throw a cop car at a helicopter.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I know it's bad, but I'm on a personal crusade to fuck over that stuntman from the movie piracy commercials. I'm too paranoid to download anything so sneaking into movies is my only chance.

I believe Peter Stormare loves pancakes in The Big Lebowski as well. Interesting.

I guess I can see Fargo being a dark comedy. I just never really thought of it that way. I think of In Bruges as more a dark comedy than Fargo honestly. Then again I'm not much of a film critic. For instance, I was flipping through the channels and came across Die Hard 4, and now I'm watching it just so I can see Bruce Willis throw a cop car at a helicopter.
    I guess I'd say Fargo is just a darker comedy. Like, just about as dark as you can get before you hit Dr. Strangelove levels of black humor revolving around the destruction of the entire human race.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You are dumb

why is that dumb, what other products must you pay twice to have?

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

You are dumb

why is that dumb, what other products must you pay twice to have?

A DVD and the theater are different things.

That's kinda like saying buying a car should buy the gas aswell

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Stealing is stealing. If you sneak into a movie, you are stealing. To continue a previous analogy, saying you'll sneak in now but buy the DVD later is like saying you'll steal the car but pay for the gas.

I mean, do you think the movie theater that is showing the film that you are watching should not be compensated for renting the space, renting the film, providing the electricity, etc?

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i guess, but i wasn't being entirely serious....

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1