As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need Help with Reversing HDD Designation and removing an OS!

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So this is a really confusing situation. Basically, I had two drives, C: and D:. C was my system and programs drive while D was my games and media drive. The OS on C got so corrupted I couldn't even do Safe Mode. So I installed Windows XP Pro on my D drive to get back into the computer. Doing this caused D to become C and C become E.

In utter frustration, I pulled the corrupted drive that was originally C drive and boxed it (I'll get all the shit off of it later in an HDD enclosure) and bought a new WD 320GB to function as my system drive. I just finished installing it (all drives are SATA). Now it's coming up as E and the media and games drive is coming up on C.

It's right now being partioned and Windows XP Pro installing on it. What I want to do is pull the XP OS from the Media & Games drive (which is C right now), revert it back to D and put my new drive as C.

What's the best way to do this?

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, it appears the new system drive is stuck at "E:" and the other drive has been renamed from "C:" to "F:". Is it going to fuck up the computer not to have a C: drive? And according to the OS, the other version of Windows XP Pro was already deleted from registry so I simply deleted all of the OS folders from the Media & Games drive.

Is my computer super fucked up?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not having a C drive will not fuck up the system, you're computer will be fine.

If you do want to have your system drive as C, in the future always unhook all but the system HDD when installing windows.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Although you can re-assign drive letters to drives in Windows through Disk Management in Administrative Tools > Computer Management, you cannot do this for the drive you booted from. So you'll be stuck with your system drive as E:\. However, as eternalbl said, this won't cause Windows any harm at all. Just get used to occasionally having to correct installers if they default to C: instead of autodetecting and you'll be okay.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I did this once and it got really really annoying after a month.

So I disconnected the other two drives and reinstalled the OS. That leaves just the one HDD to be C:\. After installation, I plugged the other two drives back in to be E and F (DVD drive was D).

JustinSane07 on