As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deadlands / Hell on Earth / Lost Colony

FranzLisztFranzLiszt Registered User new member
edited September 2008 in Critical Failures
Anyone ever play this series? I'd be really curious to know what happened to it but it seems to have kinda fallen off the face of the earth since I stopped playing. Best, most realistic combat system I've ever used (though admittedly pretty cumbersome for the DM) and a hell of a cool western setting in which the South has won the civil war and horrible monsters are born from people's fear. If you can find it, I would really recommend Hell on Earth, which advances the story a few hundred years in the future and makes for a hell of a good Mad Max or Fallout kind of rpg environment, with psionic warriors and guys that can make miraculous inventions by bargaining with the forces of hell. If you can find it out there, I'd highly recommend it.

FranzLiszt on

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    y'know the Fallout creators loved this game :) just a nice side fact.

Egos on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i never played the rpg, but I did used to play the CCG, Doomtown, all the time. Best card game ever.

also, technically the south didn't win, they just never surrendered. The war continued, whichwas cuased by the deamon guys to continue to produce the fear they fed off of.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FranzLiszt wrote: »
    Anyone ever play this series? I'd be really curious to know what happened to it but it seems to have kinda fallen off the face of the earth since I stopped playing. Best, most realistic combat system I've ever used (though admittedly pretty cumbersome for the DM) and a hell of a cool western setting in which the South has won the civil war and horrible monsters are born from people's fear. If you can find it, I would really recommend Hell on Earth, which advances the story a few hundred years in the future and makes for a hell of a good Mad Max or Fallout kind of rpg environment, with psionic warriors and guys that can make miraculous inventions by bargaining with the forces of hell. If you can find it out there, I'd highly recommend it.

Deadlands was a big influence on Kenzerco's Aces & Eights, which can accomodate a similar campaign setting with a little bit of work.

Leemo on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FranzLiszt wrote: »

I thought Deadlands was "The Civil War is twenty years in with no end in sight."

Also I dunno how realistic magic card lasers are.

I guess I will have to look at this Hell on Earth thing though

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hell on Earth = Mad Max, plus vampiric werewolves and less Thunderdome.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Doomtown - Best card game ever.
    QFT!

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hell On Earth - Best backdrop world ever but rules/balance got ridiculous early on, and progressively worse by every splatbook.
    Pinnacle had a lot of shitty artists on their rooster too.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In a classic Deadlands game, I once crashed my air carriage loaded with explosives into a train that was filled with vampires planning on ransacking a local town.

...Man, I miss that campaign.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One of my favorite characters that I played in any RPG was in Hell on Earth. He was a super soldier law dog named Carl. He had no knowledge of his past due to the super soldier treatments, so he took it upon himself to wander the Wasted West and enforce the Law. His sheriff's badge was a broken Carl's Jr nametag, and it is where he got his name.

It got pretty crazy in the end of the campaign: we had a Junker; she was killed by a Servitor of Pestilence who shoved a refrigerator down a flight of stairs on top of her. She came back as Harrowed, pissed off to all Hell, and started making horribly powerful weapons, including the gatling 12-ga Carl toted around. There was also the time where Carl destroyed an automaton by wrestling it.

Oh, and Carl totally had an Austrian accent.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23