As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] I Wanna Be The Guy! BONUS SUMMARY VIDEO! (NSF56K)

• MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God...I fail at this game so hard. I tried it before and realized this and put it away. Thanks to this I've started trying again. I've made it farther into the game (read 3 screens), but I think this game just isn't for me. I guess watching the LP of this is as far as I'm going to get, which is good because this way I might actually get to see the ending.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really have to download the slow mo version of this, the frame skip, I think that's the version I have, is crashing when I die or maybe the window can only deal with a certain level of suck before it commits suicide by breaking itself ;_;)

atat23 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I've noticed that crashes usually occur after a particularly long cycle of death. Maybe the game mercifully martyrs itself in the interest of your sanity?

joshofalltrades on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    First time poster, long time watcher.

Us lurkers love your LP. I would love to see you do a System Shock 2 LP or something of the sort. Preferably something difficult. We enjoy watching you die and the curses that follow.

Ok, here is the plan. System Shock 2 on Hard with nothing but psychic powers.

MoosehatIV on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MoosehatIV wrote: »

Us lurkers love your LP. I would love to see you do a System Shock 2 LP or something of the sort. Preferably something difficult. We enjoy watching you die and the curses that follow.

Thank you! I appreciate your encouragement.

Quick question: your plural pronouns seem to indicate you are a group of people, a collective hive mind or perhaps you are using the royal "We". Are you a single entity or do you speak for many (I'm curious, not snarky)?

So, by nothing but psychic powers, do you mean NOTHING nothing? As in, the only thing I'm allowed to spend any cybernetic modules on is psychic powers, or the only attacks I'm allowed to use are psychic powers?

Because the first one is close to impossible, considering you have to
    hack several difficult computers at the last boss, and you can't do that without improving your hacking ability.

EDIT: Also, I was already going to play SS2 on Impossible if I did it. Difficulty seems to be my shtick, as previously mentioned.

joshofalltrades on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I say you play the Touhou games on lunatic mode.
    DANMAKU DESUYO!

Mortal Sky on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Good videos :D That one slow platform part looked insane

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This game annoys me because it is all about memorizing patterns, you really can't do it the first time without dying because you need to know where things will kill you.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • ChipsNQuesoChipsNQueso Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey man the guy, the videos are pretty great! I laugh my ass off every time from the combination of curse words you put together. That game looks truly mean.

Just an idea, if you're looking for something less...evil to play, how about LP'ing Diablo 1? It isn't too terribly long, and you can pretty much just run through the game having fun.

Even if you don't, be sure to do something else! It's too good to not make more videos.

ChipsNQueso on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Quick question: your plural pronouns seem to indicate you are a group of people, a collective hive mind or perhaps you are using the royal "We". Are you a single entity or do you speak for many (I'm curious, not snarky)?

So, by nothing but psychic powers, do you mean NOTHING nothing? As in, the only thing I'm allowed to spend any cybernetic modules on is psychic powers, or the only attacks I'm allowed to use are psychic powers?

Because the first one is close to impossible, considering you have to
    hack several difficult computers at the last boss, and you can't do that without improving your hacking ability.

EDIT: Also, I was already going to play SS2 on Impossible if I did it. Difficulty seems to be my shtick, as previously mentioned.

ICEpicks. Allows a near instant kill. SAVE THEM.

MechMantis on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Part 7 is up.
    Just in case you didn't know, the music for the minecart ride came from the Moon level of the first NES Ducktales game. A game, I think needs be pointed out, that wasn't quite as sadistic as this one. :P

I KNEW that I had played the game that music came from! That music rocks, as did that game.

p.s. Hey Josh, great LP.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited September 2008
    Man, you guys are awesome. I'll be wrapping this up sometime this next week. Stay tuned.

Oh and MechMantis: Good call. I totally forgot about the autohacks. I guess that's something I can arrange, then.

joshofalltrades on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh man System Shock 2... (I played it safe in that game as a Marine with standard weapons -up to auto assault rifle-) -those cyborg ninjas can go to hell though,, magic near 100% accuracy glowing ninja stars my ass!-

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited September 2008
    Ok so downloaded the slowmo version, hopefully won't crash as much now. Do you need to do anything with the ending.cnn file or does the game just automatically use it?

I was also looking around the site, which I never did before, the FAQ has quite a few funny things in it e.g.
    Q: You're a bastard.

A: Yes.

Q: What the fuck is your problem?

A: I love too much. :(

Q: What is this game made in?

A: It's a rom hack of battle toads.

Q: But battle toads wasn't anything like this!

A: It is toward the end? Have you ever got to the end of battle toads?

Q: No but...

A: Then shut your whore ass mouth and take my word for it. I also used a bit of Multimedia fusion.

I also like the Game Over shirt in the store, I like game t-shirts with references very few people get, I might reward myself with it if I ever complete the game.

Edit: I restarted in hard mode and got to mecha birdo amazingly fast, got an interesting glitch too:
    birdoas0.jpg
    birdoas0.d018e2d685.jpg

atat23 on
    edited September 2008
    You shouldn't have to mess with any of the files once it's downloaded and extracted.

The one disappointment with the store is that there's no way to buy an "I AM the Guy" T-shirt if you can provide a screenshot to the developer.

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2008
    I love the LP...and hate it at the same time. It's great to watch, and hilarious to laugh at the explatives spewed at the multitude of deaths. The downside is that it got me attempting this craziness again. I was one of those people that couldn't make it past the third screen, but then when I saw how it was done I finally made it past that part. Now I am a stones throw from mecha-birdo and both loving and hating the game. I do feel more skilled having gotten as far as I had, but now I don't want to put the damn thing down. I will keep on trying to be the guy, but we'll see how far my sanity holds out.

Either way...Link can suck the fattest part of my ass.

Edit: Mecha-birdo is down...fuck precision jumping.

Moorening on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just made it to the ghouls and ghosts part.

Link took me forever until I figured out that he doesn't jab his sword up until you get close to his head. I initially thought it was random.

Pemulis on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I was just showing this game to some friends who are in from out of town for a wedding I am the best man at today. They couldn't get past the first screen, so I quickly made my way to the Ghouls and Ghosts part. Link was much easier this time thanks to the tip to fall off of him and jump onto the platform and I did it on my first try. Everybody was very impressed by my sheer nerdiness.

joshofalltrades on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

We are the lurkers. We wait. We watch. We snicker at your countless deaths. We are one and we are many.

MoosehatIV on
    edited September 2008
    No if only Dracula would calm the hell down I would be on my way to further gaming aggravation.

Moorening on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nice, I finally watched the latest videos.

You know, the other day I had a ricochet biscuit...

Schide on
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you're looking for something mind numbingly difficult that you can digest in short painful blocks for your next LP I'd look into Jumper: Redux

It's kind like "I Wanna Be the Guy" in multiple snakpaks!

Bulbasaur on
    Brawl Code - 0216-0458-2046 | PM me if you've added me.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is anyone else not getting sound for the first part of 7A?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Have you ever played Cat Mario? It's in the same vein of IWBTG, but there are no really tough jumps or anything, so once you figure how to get past each obstacle it's not a difficult game. If you've never played it before it could make for a hilarious let's play. There are some really funny surprise deaths that I'd love to see someone's reaction to.

Food on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

We are the lurkers. We wait. We watch. We snicker at your countless deaths. We are one and we are many.

FOR THE GLORY OF THE HIVE.

MechMantis on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »

FOR THE GLORY OF THE HIVE.
    More like...

FOR THE GLORY OF FUCKING MOTHER FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT GAME!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We are Legion, for we are many.

Man, I love this lp, I love this game. Every time I watch someone play this, it's better than the last. Another soul crushed, another mind twisted and broken.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I dunno. UltraJMan's was the ultimate in soul-crushing failure, I think. This doesn't even approach the misery of his LP.

I mean, the kid was literally crying at the end. Masterful.

freakish light on
    edited September 2008
    I played over the weekend a bit and found Dracula quite easy. I have to say though he is really hit and miss, everytime he did the attack that sent those two brain things after me I ended up dying, the one time he didn't do this was the time I killed him so I think I got lucky. It is near impossible when he sends the two brains and the homing cherry and then does another attack O_O;

The bits I never did in Medium are the bits that are raping me now, got past the tetris part once I learned the sequence the blocks fall in but now I'm stuck on the part were a wall of spikes chases you while you are trying to navigate those vine/slippy wall things.
    I just can't get the hang of the vines, don't know if my crappy laptop keyboard doesn't respond well to having to jump and press a direction at the same time or else the vines just take a hell of a lot of getting used to.

I should really try this with a controller, that would at least give me more of an edge.

atat23 on
    edited September 2008
    I took a break over the weekend and came back to face Dracula. Finally beat him. The only problem I had with him was the random attacks/movement. It just made things a bit annoying.

Moorening on
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I dunno. UltraJMan's was the ultimate in soul-crushing failure, I think. This doesn't even approach the misery of his LP.

I mean, the kid was literally crying at the end. Masterful.

Yes, UltraJMan's LP is definitely head and shoulders above mine in terms of sheer aggravation. This is partly due to my having played through the game before (his was a first time) and partly my lack of an acting pedigree. Instead of risking faking my anger and looking like an unfunny idiot, I'm opting for a completely different approach since the "slowly going insane" LP has already been done. Thus my use of rapid-fire deaths and defiance of LP expectations (like my slamming a beer in the middle of a video).

joshofalltrades on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the LP, I was really more responding to Basil than criticizing this runthrough. It's a different kind of good.

freakish light on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    UltraJMan's LP is fucking funny, but holy christ is it long. At least in this one it isn't 10 minutes of being stuck on one screen and going mad as a result. Still waiting on the last part josh. *tap tap*

:)

Lly on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    atat23 wrote: »
    The bits I never did in Medium are the bits that are raping me now, got past the tetris part once I learned the sequence the blocks fall in but now I'm stuck on the part were a wall of spikes chases you while you are trying to navigate those vine/slippy wall things.
    I just can't get the hang of the vines, don't know if my crappy laptop keyboard doesn't respond well to having to jump and press a direction at the same time or else the vines just take a hell of a lot of getting used to.

I should really try this with a controller, that would at least give me more of an edge.

When you're holding onto the vine walls, hold SHIFT.

Pressing the opposite direction will have you automatically jump. You don't need to time SHIFT+direction at the same time.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Guy can go fuck himself. I can not, for the life of me, get past his 3rd attack pattern in his first form

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trus wrote: »
    The Guy can go fuck himself. I can not, for the life of me, get past his 3rd attack pattern in his first form

Stand directly in the pillar. When you HEAR the sound of the shooting, full jump over the shot, towards him. Then immediately (after the shot rebounds) full jump towards him again a little, then double jump back over the shot to the pillar. Repeat four times.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited September 2008
    I can't beat the moving spikes in the G&G screen.

The VERY FIRST TIME I tried I made it past, then proceeded to die on the falling tombstone.

I can make it to the fast spikes about 1 in 5 tries, but can't get past for the life of me. I'm sure when I do I will just die on a bird or something.

Grr!

Pemulis on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pemulis wrote: »
    I can't beat the moving spikes in the G&G screen.

The VERY FIRST TIME I tried I made it past, then proceeded to die on the falling tombstone.

I can make it to the fast spikes about 1 in 5 tries, but can't get past for the life of me. I'm sure when I do I will just die on a bird or something.

Grr!

Yeah, those spikes are a pain. You have to shoot for this little gap on the final set of spikes so that you fall through it while the bottom spikes are going down and the top spikes are going up. It requires closer to quarter-second timing than split second timing and is a real bitch to do. On the upside, avoiding the falling tombstones (once you know they fall on you) and killing the pushy birds is a cakewalk by comparison and there's a save point on the next screen.

If it makes you feel any better, I died over a hundred times just on those stupid spikes before I got past that point.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, I was trying to do it while the bottom spikes were going up...

It's mainly frustrating that I made it my first try and then haven't been able to do it again since.

I gave up after about 100 deaths, maybe it's time for another go.

Pemulis on
    edited September 2008
    YESSS!!

I definately did it jumping over the bottom spike on it's way up. It's the only way I could somewhat consistently pass it.

Pemulis on