As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Healer Archetypes: You are a hat.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Agreed. I really fucking love Warrior priest. After doing some T2 scenarios the PVP has blown my mind.

I never thought an MMO's PVP could capture my interest again.

<3 Warhammer

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    So. Any screenshots of high level DoK and Shammy gear? I'd like to see how I'd look high level with either one.

When you get to the character selection screen, the outfits of all the characters that are shown as options before you click then and make your char? All of those guys are wearing rank 40 set gear. Near the top of the line stuff but below city siege level gear.

One of the phases just after guild beta we got to test them with templates wearing that exact gear. It was sexy.

Those were level 31 templates right?

Zek on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    So. Any screenshots of high level DoK and Shammy gear? I'd like to see how I'd look high level with either one.

When you get to the character selection screen, the outfits of all the characters that are shown as options before you click then and make your char? All of those guys are wearing rank 40 set gear. Near the top of the line stuff but below city siege level gear.

One of the phases just after guild beta we got to test them with templates wearing that exact gear. It was sexy.

Those were level 31 templates right?

40s. Lasted about a day for specific focus testing.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So rather than spread my renown points around I'm considering pouring most into a couple different traits until the next tier opens up, mainly int and will. What's the opinion on this?

Quid on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I tend to focus renown points on one or two main stats, yea.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can anyone give me insight into the relative strengths and weaknesses of the shaman and Disciple in RvR and PvE?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Can anyone give me insight into the relative strengths and weaknesses of the shaman and Disciple in RvR and PvE?
    Shaman

-Armor is lower class than Disciple, so can't handle melee class nearly as well.
    -Group healing isn't as potent.
    -Heals cost Action Points
    -Doesn't have much control beyond Eeek! and some deep mastery skills.
    -Lacks a lot of potent lifestealing spells.
    -No healing debuff.
    -Doesn't have useful, always-active auras.

DoK

-Has to melee or cast a five-second channeled spell to get healing resource.
    -Doesn't have a "fat heal" like the shaman.
    -Single target healing is very reliant on melee damage.
    -Most of the time, has to be on the more dangerous front lines.
    -Debuffs aren't as potent.

Off the top of my head.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Shaman

-Armor is lower class than Disciple, so can't handle melee class nearly as well.
    -Group healing isn't as potent.
    -Heals cost Action Points
    -Doesn't have much control beyond Eeek! and some deep mastery skills.
    -Lacks a lot of potent lifestealing spells.
    -No healing debuff.
    -Doesn't have useful, always-active auras.

DoK

-Has to melee or cast a five-second channeled spell to get healing resource.
    -Doesn't have a "fat heal" like the shaman.
    -Single target healing is very reliant on melee damage.
    -Most of the time, has to be on the more dangerous front lines.
    -Debuffs aren't as potent.

Off the top of my head.

In addition to that, without getting into anything too specific, the Shaman is capable of being played in a more "healbot" fashion, whereas the DoK doesn't have that luxury. The DoK uses Soul Essence to heal, which is most efficiently gained through melee abilities. He can also convert AP to SE over time but it is not very efficient and does not allow him to healbot very effectively (though this is all based on secondhand experience, so don't take it as gospel). The DoK has very potent group healing and can put out massive numbers in terms of overall healing done in a scenario, but it's more of a slow and steady approach. He doesn't have many tools for dealing with burst damage.

The Shaman, on the other hand, can be played like a healbot. I say "can be" because the Waaagh mechanic allows the Shaman to mix damage and healing rather well. Personally, however, I used the Waagh mechanic to mix in a few instant cast debuffs and then get back to healing. In terms of pure healing done, Waaagh does not help. If you are simply looking to heal the highest possible amount over an extended period of time, it is never worthwhile to try to build up Mork Waaagh (the Waaagh you get from casting damage spells -- right?).

That's just one style of play, however. Focusing on a mix of DPS and healing means you won't get as much healing done as a Shaman who focuses on pure healing or as much damage as one focused purely on damage but it affords you unique opportunities, such as an instant cast heal for over 1000 health, which normally takes 3 seconds to cast and is virtually impossible to cast while under attack. Using the Waaagh mechanic can make for a powerful hybrid playstyle if that's your thing or you can just healbot and throw in a few instant debuffs when time permits.

Hopefully someone who has played the DoK more extensively can get in here and shine some light on that because I have no firsthand experience with one.

Vi Monks on
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day where I main a healer in a MMO, but I'm loving the fuck out of my Rune Priest. In RvR I really feel useful, and I've got some time to think and shoot heals around, while doing minor DPS, something you can't do in Guild Wars with a monk.

If you don't mind elaborating some on this I'd be appreciative. I still have yet to decide on a Rune Priest or Archmage and there is a lot of talk on the Archmage going on the past few pages but nobody in this thread seems to give a nod to the Rune Priest. I like to her him being played and feeling useful. I really want to make a clear pick between the two classes based on the classes themselves before I just decided based on the fact High Elves are fairly ugly to me and dwarves are well.. dwarves. Rather than actually choosing the class that works better for me.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think it's time to bust out the theoryhammer.

How does each point of Willpower affect healing? Is it a linear scale?

How is Willpower applied to individual heals? Instants? HoTs? Long casts?

zenpotato on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The level 8 ability that Warpriests get is awesome. I pick a buddy, I pick a baddy. I hurt the baddy, heal the buddy.

It's so perfect it's scary.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited September 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »
    I think it's time to bust out the theoryhammer.

How does each point of Willpower affect healing? Is it a linear scale?

How is Willpower applied to individual heals? Instants? HoTs? Long casts?

Look at my posts over the last few pages. I've talked about it a lot. Basically, each heal gets Willpower/5*cast time where cast time is always >=1.5. This increase applies to the total amount healed, meaning for HoTs, add it to the total, not each tick. There are three exceptions to this. The spell that all healers get that does a direct heal and then applies a HoT gets this bonus twice -- once to the direct heal and once to the HoT. The group direct heal applies the bonus to each person healed. The group HoT also applies the bonus to each person healed.

Vi Monks on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day where I main a healer in a MMO, but I'm loving the fuck out of my Rune Priest. In RvR I really feel useful, and I've got some time to think and shoot heals around, while doing minor DPS, something you can't do in Guild Wars with a monk.

If you don't mind elaborating some on this I'd be appreciative. I still have yet to decide on a Rune Priest or Archmage and there is a lot of talk on the Archmage going on the past few pages but nobody in this thread seems to give a nod to the Rune Priest. I like to her him being played and feeling useful. I really want to make a clear pick between the two classes based on the classes themselves before I just decided based on the fact High Elves are fairly ugly to me and dwarves are well.. dwarves. Rather than actually choosing the class that works better for me.

What I don't like about most healing classes in this game is that they have a gimmick to them for their healing to be useful. Rune Priest basically just casts spells that use Action points, whether it's attacking the enemy or healing your party. RPs don't dish out a lot of damage, but they're very good healers, both in PvE and PvP. I also find that I manage to sneak some DPS between my heals.

Djiem on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Indica1 wrote: »
    So I'm hearing that the mechanic is still balanced between the trees?

good to know.

HoTs are certainly still useful for topping off players and dealing with sustained damage (the AoE HoT, for instance, will be great for healing up minor AoE nukes and DoTs) but it means that, as players' damage ramps up and healers gain more willpower, HoTs will lose potency compared to direct heals.

Look at it this way. Take the 1500 health HoT compared to Flash of Chaos, which hits for around 200 at 40, if I'm not mistaken. The HoT ticks for 300 every three seconds so Flash spam grants 400 every three seconds -- only 33% more than a HoT tick for a ridiculously larger amount of AP. But let's add 1000 willpower. The HoT heals for 1800 total or 360 per tick, whereas Flash of Chaos now hits for 500. Flash spam now grants 1000 health every three seconds -- almost 300% as much as a HoT tick. In less than four casts (six seconds), you've healed more in total than the 15 second HoT.

What Oats said about being mobile is still, of course, relevant in this discussion. As he points out, HoTs won't lose their usefulness but I feel like they will take on more of a supplemental role rather than a main healing role.

What this really boils down to is my opinion that the Zealot will pull away from the Shaman in terms of healing potential because of Flash of Chaos (combined with the tactics I mentioned previously -- most Shaman tactics don't have a huge potential to increase healing, in my opinion). Sure, for sustained healing, a Shaman can compete with the 3s heal -- and even in the case of a Zealot, for sustained, raid-like tank healing, the bigger heal might be more appropriate. But in any burst situation Flash is almost certainly superior due to the fact that, on the short-term, you can get three flashes for one big heal because Flash is instant cast. Say someone gets hit for half their health. Healer A starts spamming Flash and healer B winds up the big heal. At zero seconds, healer A will have landed one Flash. At 1.5, two Flashes. At 3 seconds, healer A will have landed three Flashes and healer B will have finally gotten off the big heal. Now of course the longer this situation persists, the more the two methods even out. But given Flash's ability to respond better to burst damage, its ability to be cast on the move, and (in my opinion) the Zealot's superior healing tactics, I feel like the Zealot will pull away from the Shaman in terms of healing potential the higher Willpower gets.

Now one mechanic I haven't taken into consideration is Waagh. An instant cast big heal is obviously invaluable and is much stronger than Flash spam. I am interested, however, (if it wasn't already apparent) in more or less healbotting, which leaves getting the instant cast heal rather unlikely. The utility of instant cast offensive spells is worth debating, surely, but it is outside the scope of what I'm discussing here.

And Oats, thanks for your insight on the heal crit situation. If I had to estimate my Shaman's base crit chance, I would say 10%, but this is just based on what I remember over the beta so it has virtually no evidence behind it. Needless to say, even with just a 5% base chance, 15% chance from talents, and 12% chance from renown points (at RR80, but still), the crit chance is more than adequate to keep AP flowing in and the 25% increased healing buff on the target at all times.

One question I'd like to raise (or raise again -- I can't remember if it was in my original post) is if the 25% increased healing buff will stack additively or multiplicatively with -healing% debuffs. If the former, it could be huge in battling said debuffs.

I'm not convinced that hots or dots are necessarily more gimped, even outside mobility. Here's why. With instant no cooldown hots/dots, you can hot/dot multiple people in the time you're spending spamming a direct spell on one person. Hots and dots are about sustained heals/damage rather than big bursts after all. And combining both will provide an even bigger burst for a brief period with a slightly higher wind-up cost (1.4s GCD for the starting dot/hot)

It's how I kill people in the lower tiers before my dots completely outshine my dd spells. Stack them with dots which they ignore as the damage is slight at the beginning, then burst them with a 3s spell (which they'll notice but flight time means by the time they notice the next spell's incoming) followed by a couple 1s spells by which time it's too late.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited September 2008
    Dracil wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Indica1 wrote: »
    So I'm hearing that the mechanic is still balanced between the trees?

good to know.

HoTs are certainly still useful for topping off players and dealing with sustained damage (the AoE HoT, for instance, will be great for healing up minor AoE nukes and DoTs) but it means that, as players' damage ramps up and healers gain more willpower, HoTs will lose potency compared to direct heals.

Look at it this way. Take the 1500 health HoT compared to Flash of Chaos, which hits for around 200 at 40, if I'm not mistaken. The HoT ticks for 300 every three seconds so Flash spam grants 400 every three seconds -- only 33% more than a HoT tick for a ridiculously larger amount of AP. But let's add 1000 willpower. The HoT heals for 1800 total or 360 per tick, whereas Flash of Chaos now hits for 500. Flash spam now grants 1000 health every three seconds -- almost 300% as much as a HoT tick. In less than four casts (six seconds), you've healed more in total than the 15 second HoT.

What Oats said about being mobile is still, of course, relevant in this discussion. As he points out, HoTs won't lose their usefulness but I feel like they will take on more of a supplemental role rather than a main healing role.

What this really boils down to is my opinion that the Zealot will pull away from the Shaman in terms of healing potential because of Flash of Chaos (combined with the tactics I mentioned previously -- most Shaman tactics don't have a huge potential to increase healing, in my opinion). Sure, for sustained healing, a Shaman can compete with the 3s heal -- and even in the case of a Zealot, for sustained, raid-like tank healing, the bigger heal might be more appropriate. But in any burst situation Flash is almost certainly superior due to the fact that, on the short-term, you can get three flashes for one big heal because Flash is instant cast. Say someone gets hit for half their health. Healer A starts spamming Flash and healer B winds up the big heal. At zero seconds, healer A will have landed one Flash. At 1.5, two Flashes. At 3 seconds, healer A will have landed three Flashes and healer B will have finally gotten off the big heal. Now of course the longer this situation persists, the more the two methods even out. But given Flash's ability to respond better to burst damage, its ability to be cast on the move, and (in my opinion) the Zealot's superior healing tactics, I feel like the Zealot will pull away from the Shaman in terms of healing potential the higher Willpower gets.

Now one mechanic I haven't taken into consideration is Waagh. An instant cast big heal is obviously invaluable and is much stronger than Flash spam. I am interested, however, (if it wasn't already apparent) in more or less healbotting, which leaves getting the instant cast heal rather unlikely. The utility of instant cast offensive spells is worth debating, surely, but it is outside the scope of what I'm discussing here.

And Oats, thanks for your insight on the heal crit situation. If I had to estimate my Shaman's base crit chance, I would say 10%, but this is just based on what I remember over the beta so it has virtually no evidence behind it. Needless to say, even with just a 5% base chance, 15% chance from talents, and 12% chance from renown points (at RR80, but still), the crit chance is more than adequate to keep AP flowing in and the 25% increased healing buff on the target at all times.

One question I'd like to raise (or raise again -- I can't remember if it was in my original post) is if the 25% increased healing buff will stack additively or multiplicatively with -healing% debuffs. If the former, it could be huge in battling said debuffs.

I'm not convinced that hots or dots are necessarily more gimped, even outside mobility. Here's why. With instant no cooldown hots/dots, you can hot/dot multiple people in the time you're spending spamming a direct spell on one person. Hots and dots are about sustained heals/damage rather than big bursts after all. And combining both will provide an even bigger burst for a brief period with a slightly higher wind-up cost (1.4s GCD for the starting dot/hot)

Oh I agree with you. I'm not trying to argue that HoTs are gimped. All I'm saying is that they scale poorly relative to direct heals. In the early levels, for instance, Flash of Chaos heals for about as much as a HoT tick. At rank 40, Flash heals for 2/3 a HoT tick. Add in 1000 willpower and Flash is healing for 25% more than a HoT tick. So yes, they're still useful and for dealing with spread out damage, HoTs (as well as the group HoT and group direct heal) are very effective. And when there's no burst healing to do, throwing a HoT on someone missing 500 health will be more effective than casting Flash once because it will keep ticking. So maybe, rather than saying HoTs are gimp, I'm saying direct heals are going to become much more powerful later on -- however you want to look at it.

Vi Monks on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vi--Thanks. I don't know how I missed those before.

For those who care, it works out per point of Willpower to equal:

Cordial/Flash of Chaos +.3
    /Leaping Instability/Dark Medicine +.4 (to each component)
    Elixir: +.6

Does Willpower apply to damage shields as well? How about to the heal granted at the end of the Zealot shield?

Also note that it's never a case of Flash of Chaos vs. HoTs... there's no reason not to be casting both when single target healing. The above discussion only really applies to drive-by heals.

zenpotato on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dots are absolutley fantastic. Because they basically negate hots.

Which means me, as a Witch Hunter/Witchelf, can proceed to rape the everloving shit out of the other healer like they weren't healing at all.

And that is allright by me.

Transporter on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Healer run down!

Rune Priest/Zealot:

+ Utility healers, good in almost all situations.
    + Don't need to deal any sort of damage in order to heal efficiently, but can still sneak a DoT in here and there.
    + Most focus on actual healing, most abilities that heal, greatest variety of buffs.
    + Able to keep themselves up with heals reasonably well, but they're...

- Squishy!
    - No big instant heal outside of Morale.
    - Outta AP? Outta luck. Must stop casting to regain AP.

Archmage/Shaman:

+ Great single target healing.
    + Can deal damage in order to give heals shorter cast times.
    + Ability to get the cast on their big heal down to zero (Instant Cast)
    + Good damage capability.

- Also squishy!
    - Pretty weak group healing.
    - Lack of persistent group buffs (Auras).
    - Must cast damaging spells every once and a while in order in maximize their efficiency.

Warrior Priest/Disciple:

+ Nice group healing capabilities.
    + Useful auras, like life stealing.
    + Higher armor class then the other healers.
    + Nearly endless healing resource while in melee range.
    + Their melee channeled heal is awesome.
    + Can spec into a 75% healing debuff. Of course, speccing as such will leave less points in the healing tree.

- Not a lot of options for single target healing.
    - No real big heals, outside of their morale ability.
    - More or less reliant on melee abilities in order to build heals.
    - The above point means that Disciples need to be where the danger is, where they may become Witch Hunter meat.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited September 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »
    Vi--Thanks. I don't know how I missed those before.

For those who care, it works out per point of Willpower to equal:

Cordial/Flash of Chaos +.3
    /Leaping Instability/Dark Medicine +.4 (to each component)
    Elixir: +.6

Does Willpower apply to damage shields as well? How about to the heal granted at the end of the Zealot shield?

Also note that it's never a case of Flash of Chaos vs. HoTs... there's no reason not to be casting both when single target healing. The above discussion only really applies to drive-by heals.

I haven't tested damage shields but my guess would be willpower applies at the same rate as it does for all instants. And judging by how willpower affects Dark Medicine/Gork'll Fix It, I would guess it applies twice for the Zealot shield -- once to the shield and once to the heal effect afterwards. But it is possible that willpower doesn't apply to shields at all.

Vi Monks on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    I don't know shit about WAR, but I figure I'll give it a shot for the initial month, at least. The Shaman attracted me right from the start, and I play greenskins in WHFB anyway. :^:

Echo on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shaman are the most fun I've ever had healing, and I didn't get out of the newbie zones.

Oats on
    edited September 2008
    Let's just put it this way: my WHFB army is based on making random hilarity ensue.

Echo on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Heh. I'm so torn about buying the new War40k boxed set and keeping the orks to start an Orky army. Only reason I never got into them was a friend played them.

KiTA on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just got my big heals for my Shaman and they're a great game changer. They let me focus on attacking more and throwing out a big heal rather than trying to spam Gork'll Fix It over and over.

Quid on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    so I'm a green/mork shaman (current 4 mork to get the first tactic) and I absolutely, completely and utterly rape the following classes:

Shadow Warrior, White Lion, bad Bright Wizards.

Shadow Warriors are my favorite thing to kill, because they start off trying REALLY hard, all running around and plinking me with arrows, but about 10 seconds later when they are at a quarter life, they just run away.

Unknown User on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Let's just put it this way: my WHFB army is based on making random hilarity ensue.

Glancing through the thread, I read WHFB as "Warhammer Fantasy Baseball."

That would be awesome.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I feel nearly invulnerable as a zealot

when I am in horrible teams doing PQ's, the people I play with tend to somehow manage to all get hurt all at once, so I have to start spamming heals, which draws aggro very quickly

and then I'm tanking 3-4 mobs 3 levels above my own with my healthbar hardly moving <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Shadow Warriors are my favorite thing to kill, because they start off trying REALLY hard, all running around and plinking me with arrows, but about 10 seconds later when they are at a quarter life, they just run away.

Do you have Gork Sez Stop yet? :P

Echo on
    edited September 2008
    Nope, but that and Gorks Barbs will make those encounters hilarious

Unknown User on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd just like to point out that Rune Priests are awesome. Nothing makes me more happy than annoying Destro so bad in scenarios, they all come after me repeatedly. Also, ending scenarios as the top healer, when your 4-5 ranks behind the others, is always fun.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish I liked the look of goblins more, shaman seems like a really fun class but I just don't think I could handle being the tiny ugly green guy.

I think I'm going to play zealot mainly but there's something that makes me wary/confused. People are always saying stuff like "No one is pigeon-holed in WAR!" but then on the other hand they say zealots are primary healers. Isn't that pigeon-holing? No one's going to bring a zealot to a group for DPS right? So if the group already has a healer you're SOL... Or is the PVE in WAR somehow so different from WoW that it doesn't matter what combination of classes you bring?

riz on
    edited September 2008
    riz wrote: »
    I wish I liked the look of goblins more, shaman seems like a really fun class but I just don't think I could handle being the tiny ugly green guy.

I think I'm going to play zealot mainly but there's something that makes me wary/confused. People are always saying stuff like "No one is pigeon-holed in WAR!" but then on the other hand they say zealots are primary healers. Isn't that pigeon-holing? No one's going to bring a zealot to a group for DPS right? So if the group already has a healer you're SOL... Or is the PVE in WAR somehow so different from WoW that it doesn't matter what combination of classes you bring?

Well, I haven't done any high end PvE, so I can't answer that definitively but I can say this:

Rune Priests and Zealots are the "primary healers" for their side, but both do really respectible damage and both have some utility that no other class has. For instance, RP's are great at AE damage, even though they are healers.

So, if any class WERE to get pidgeon holed, it would probably be RP and Zealot, but this would also apply to Iron Breaker and Chosen, which are the "primary tanks" of their realm. That said, in reality, it doesn't really go down like that. I've never had someone walk up to my RP and say "You suck, do less damage, heal more", because juggling the two is really not difficult and is how the classes are meant to be played.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My zealot in OB had plenty of energy to spare to throw around dots/buffs/debufs at will, but none of them felt as potent as what I'm doing on shaman.

Zealot seems to build their utility through tactics and training (so early impressions might be very bland) - Shaman seems to reinforce their playstyles through tactics and training

sim on
    edited September 2008
    You don't know shaman until you wear an all pink/white outfit and run around doing /special on the people you kill

Unknown User on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You don't know shaman until you wear an all pink/white outfit and run around doing /special on the people you kill

Thanks a lot, you just made me LOL on one of my calls.

KiTA on
  • HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To anyone who doesnt have it bound I would advise you to put "target next friendly" on a handy key. It has more than doubled my healing output without any effort and has turned me into an unstoppable zerg creating machine.

Hedwirez on
    edited September 2008
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    To anyone who doesnt have it bound I would advise you to put "target next friendly" on a handy key. It has more than doubled my healing output without any effort and has turned me into an unstoppable zerg creating machine.

We were just discussing this. I need to do this when I get home.

I also recommend the ISMoCasts addon from Curse. It lets you target by mouse over. Basically, if I roll my mouse over a group nameplate, I can press a heal key and it will cast on the person I moused over, not my friendly target. This allows me to keep my friendly target on a tank, while still passing around spot heals very easily.

e: Direct link: http://war.curse.com/downloads/details/13668/

GnomeTank on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is there an assist key? I'm in the habit from wow of finding the big enemy DD and assiting them to heal their next victim.

sim on
    edited September 2008
    sim wrote: »
    Is there an assist key? I'm in the habit from wow of finding the big enemy DD and assiting them to heal their next victim.

You can't target of target on enemy players, the game simply won't allow it. In addons or otherwise.

That said, there is Assist and Aid. Assist takes the assist target's hostile target, and Aid takes the aid targets friendly target.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2008

I demand an explanation of /special! Also, youtube example!

Echo on