As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it weren't for bad luck...

TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonightHas stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Social Entropy++
So on my way home this "evening" I was driving along at a pretty good speed, and all of a sudden HOLY CRAP THAT'S A GOD-DAMN CAT RUNNING ACROSS THE STREET and I slammed on my brakes and thankfully the little feline stopped before I flattened it.

The cat was black, and darted back around my car as I pulled away with my nerves tingling and the scent of burning rubber filling my nose... and I wondered, did I just save myself from some bad luck since the black cat didn't actually cross my path? Would have been cursed with incredibly bad luck had the cat not gotten out of the way the last second, my vehicle transforming the being into a mere blood smear across the pavement?

When have you run into bad luck?

When have you avoided it, and how?

We'll find out how I fair against the fates in the coming days I'm sure...

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
Tonkka on

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't have no luck at all

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I go out of my way to walk under ladders

Also, spill salt

And I only have 12 friends, and I invite them over for dinner all the time

Ten on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I nearly ran over a black cat once when I was working as a delivery driver. He was sitting right in the middle of my lane and I had to swerve to avoid him. When I came back from the delivery he was sitting in the middle of the other lane (which I was now in) and we had to do the whole thing all over again.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    once i was driving and the car in front suddenly braked and this big plume of fur flew up from underneath it and then this possum ran out from underneath it across the street and up a tree

car in front pulled over thinking he had run over it
    i guess i shoulda stopped as i was driving past to tell him it ran off and wasnt dead
    but there was someone else in my car and we were both a bit suprised and the dude coulda looked at the road and seen that there was no body

also the dude was driving a convertible fuck him
    he was probably just stopping to check that there were no dents or blood spatters on his bumper that might scare off any potential 12 year old girlfriends

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I ran over a cat a couple months ago.

It was just standing in the middle of the road. I'd flicked off my highbeams because of an oncoming car, and as they passed me, I flicked them back on just in time to see the cat. There was no way for me to swerve out of the way as I was going 65mph down an old country highway, a sharp jerk of the wheel could send me catapulting into the ditch because my car has a semi-high center of balance.

However, not turning it enough to avoid the cat would line it square with my tires.

So I just chose to go straight over it, hoping the cat would have the presence of mind to duck under my relatively high suspension.

I saw no blood on my car when I got to work that night, and there was no smear on the road on the drive home. Now, that could mean that I simply wanged the cat with my undercarriage, fatally wounding it, but leaving it just alive enough to climb into the ditch.

But I like to think that the cat escaped unharmed.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Air wrote: »
    once i was driving and the car in front suddenly braked and this big plume of fur flew up from underneath it and then this possum ran out from underneath it across the street and up a tree

car in front pulled over thinking he had run over it
    i guess i shoulda stopped as i was driving past to tell him it ran off and wasnt dead
    but there was someone else in my car and we were both a bit suprised and the dude coulda looked at the road and seen that there was no body

also the dude was driving a convertible fuck him
    he was probably just stopping to check that there were no dents or blood spatters on his bumper that might scare off any potential 12 year old girlfriends

Maybe he ran over a cat or small dog who was chasing the possum across the road.

RocketScience on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i hit a baby rabbit once :(

tugga on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hit a bucket of KFC once, I didn't know it was a bucket of KFC until I went back around the loop because the van in front of me had dodged it and I didn't even see what made the spllosh sound under my car.

I fucking hate cars.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hit a bird once. It wasn't on the road, we have a deal you know, it was fucking flying. I saw it zipping by and thought, "Well, that bird's a lot closer than they normally ge..." <WHUMP> Bird hits my front window, flies up over the car, I see it zoom through the air through my sun roof and it bounces on the road behind me. I was on the highway going like 110 km/h, I'd translate that to stoneage measurement but I can't be bothered.

TLDR: I hit a bird, birds are weird.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    one time i ran over a panther in the middle of the city
    completely true

fur was stuck to the front of truck where i hit it it also dented some steel

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty sure killing a black cat gives you the best luck.

Ridding the world of a witch incarnate and all

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Bodacious BBodacious B __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    The only luck I ever have is bad luck, and I think this is from all those times I have broken mirrors, spilled salt, waled under ladders, and looked directly into the sun at the tender age of six.

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents were driving me to Houston so I could fly back up to Seattle at 4-something in the AM when we struck & killed the Lord of All Deer, bless his infinite hooves.

Weaver on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hit a deer once.

I was driving down a hill and the edge of the road was covered in forest undergrowth. A deer ran out in front of the car. I slowed down and it got across the road.

So just as I hit the gas again another deer jumps out in front of my car, this time like 10 feet in front of me. I slammed on the brakes but still hit it dead on.

The deer flew several feet forward, and hit the pavement. The world stopped for a moment as I sat in my car and the deer just laid in the road.

Then time resumed and the deer jumped up, stared bewildered at my car and then took off running after the first deer. There wasn't any damage to my car either.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    has anyone else hit a panther in the middle of the city
    i think not

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I hit my mother with the car, it was when I first got my license when I was 16, and instead of reversing out of the drive way, I put the car and drive and ran into her, it was terrible. I bruised up her leg real bad. After that I didn't want to drive for about three months due to fear of running into people.

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seph wrote: »
    has anyone else hit a panther in the middle of the city
    i think not

No but I have released panthers in the middle of the city

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    I hit a deer once.

I was driving down a hill and the edge of the road was covered in forest undergrowth. A deer ran out in front of the car. I slowed down and it got across the road.

So just as I hit the gas again another deer jumps out in front of my car, this time like 10 feet in front of me. I slammed on the brakes but still hit it dead on.

The deer flew several feet forward, and hit the pavement. The world stopped for a moment as I sat in my car and the deer just laid in the road.

Then time resumed and the deer jumped up, stared bewildered at my car and then took off running after the first deer. There wasn't any damage to my car either.

We were on I think I-35 northbound, only car on the road, in a 1998 F-150 nascar edition so it sits a little higher & such(my dads truck), I was in the passenger seat with the seat leaned back trying to sleep, when all of a sudden something in my mind says "open your eyes do it now"

So the northbound lane is high than the southbound, with a hill going up to it from the other side. Which means in the dark you can't see anything down that slope.

I open my eyes and for a brief moment this beautiful, majestic deer was frozen high in the air, at the zenith of his jump, legs tucked under, then time started again, the deer collided with the front of the hood, bounced towards the top of the windshield, and time slowed again as it passed that short distance, it appeared as if an infinite number of legs & hooves were projecting all possible angels from the main body of the deer, and in that microsecond my mind yells out "THE LORD OF ALL DEER!".

It collides with the top of the windshield, slids up over the roof and then *thuds* and rolls on the pavement. My dad regains control of the truck as we'd just lost the front drivers side tire at high speed, windshield is boned, airbags go off but I'm leaning back so it doesn't hit me, cab is filled with smoke, my mom is freaking out and I'm still sitting there just all "whoa".

Weaver on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    a deer once hit me

yeah, you read that right

i was driving up the hill to my parents house late one night and a buck with a couple of does are standing right by the side of the road

i creep by real slow and they dont move, until i get right next to them

the buck rears back on his hind legs and crashes his antlers down on the driver side door and then gives me a "fuck you" look

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    god I once came within about 10 feet of plowing through a group of around 10 deer in a military hummer doing 50-ish on a back road at Ft. Knox

Weaver on
  • Options
    DeathsHandDeathsHand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Years ago on a vacation with my parents we hit this huge rottweiler. I'd like to think that he(she) was suicidal, because it just strolled right into the express way and sat there, Cards were on either side of us and we had a semi behind us, so there was no chance of avoiding it. Suffice to say, after three or four semi trucks behind us made it to the creature, it wasn't a pretty sight :|

DeathsHand on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I got hit by a horse once
    or rather kicked by one

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    How did you see the dog after three or four semi's ran it over? Did you guys pull over to watch the dog get killed?

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've got a large scar on my arm from a 8 month old puppy. So when people ask about the scar on my arm I tell them that a mountain lion got me.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A friend of mine in high school ran over a squirrel while she was doing the in-car exam for her drivers license.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    I've got a large scar on my arm from a 8 month old puppy. So when people ask about the scar on my arm I tell them that a mountain lion got me.
    How did a puppy give you a large scar?

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Well it jumped up on me and then someone walked into the room that it hadn't seen for ten minutes so it got incredibly excited and jumped off and somewhere in that 3 second interplay it tore open my arm somehow.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was driving with a friend in the passenger seat late one night. We were driving down a dark highway that sees a lot of big truck traffic with no light but my headlights. Suddenly we noticed these... streaks in the road. "Holy crap dude, what is that?" he asked. It looked like blood, but there was way too much of it. It had to be paint right? Or something like that? As we drove (going about 50mph) the streaks continued, but kept getting wider and darker. Pretty soon we were traveling over a road that was literally stained dark red in the middle. We wondered when we would finally see the source of the stain.

Then we saw it - not a an animal or body, but just chunks. Pieces of whatever had been dragged hundreds of feet. We instantly realized that it was not paint, but some kind of large... something... that had been literally pureed across the road not long before we got there. I didn't have to swerve or change lanes because the pieces were thinly scattered across the whole road.

Probably the grossest thing we've ever seen on the road, but at least we didn't have to be the ones that hit it.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Well it jumped up on me and then someone walked into the room that it hadn't seen for ten minutes so it got incredibly excited and jumped off and somewhere in that 3 second interplay it tore open my arm somehow.
    With it's claws?

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

With it's claws?

I guess.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

With it's claws?

Dude, my husky's got some big ass nails and he could scratch the fuck out of you if they haven't been trimmed in a while.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What type of dog?

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Butters wrote: »

With it's claws?

Dude, my husky's got some big ass nails and he could scratch the fuck out of you if they haven't been trimmed in a while.
    I have only owned poodles and dachshunds so I wouldn't know anything about big ol scary claws.

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    What type of dog?

An angry one.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    DeathsHandDeathsHand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How did you see the dog after three or four semi's ran it over? Did you guys pull over to watch the dog get killed?

We drove past the area later, wasn't pretty.

DeathsHand on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bad luck doesn't exist

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You don't exist.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oooooeeeeeeoooooooooo

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    X Files theme?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008