As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Perfect World] A very pretty free MMO you should check out if you're into free stuff

• calcium fishcalcium fish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but can anyone tell me typically how long it took to get an activation email? I tried last night with my gmail acct and this morning with my school email and still haven't gotten anything. :S

calcium fish on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but can anyone tell me typically how long it took to get an activation email? I tried last night with my gmail acct and this morning with my school email and still haven't gotten anything. :S
    Kinda depends on how thoroughly the servers are hammered. Did you try logging in without the confirmation mail? Sometimes it works...

Aldo on
    edited July 2008
    Nope :(

Does browser matter? I used firefox 2 both times

calcium fish on
    edited July 2008
    Nope :(

Does browser matter? I used firefox 2 both times
    It shouldn't matter. :? Sorry, I can't help you, this is a screw-up on PW's part, I'm afraid.

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Have you got a spam filter attached to those emails?

Seg on
    edited July 2008
    I figured it out, there is no email (anymore?) you just have to log in the cubizone page and "activate" the game.

Thanks tho!

calcium fish on
    edited July 2008
    I figured it out, there is no email (anymore?) you just have to log in the cubizone page and "activate" the game.

Thanks tho!
    The mind boggles. :|

Aldo on
    edited July 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

Thanks tho!
    The mind boggles. :|

Probably because of so many people not getting the activation emails. Back when I still played and read the forums for the MY-EN servers I remember that being one of their top stickies.

Seg on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BUMP

This thing still alive then? I've been reading over the MMO threads after Wizard101 turned out to be a good recommendation from PA.

Downloading the files off Filefront at the moment (split RARs for the lose...). Hope it's good considering how much time i've spent downloading it...

WMain00 on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I doubt any PAer from this thread is still playing it, but it's a fun game. The interface is shit, the need for potions is annoying and the game does get samey after a while, but I got a good week of fun out of it. Just make sure to level via quests, grind does nothing.

Glal on
  • mrwakkamrwakka Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Being bored i decided to check out the Free MMO Uberlist and saw a relatively good note on this game, however i was somewhat dismayed when i read this thread, but having nothing better to do i decided to try it anyway.

Anyway, long story short theres apparently some notable changes based on what has been said in this thread.

Notably the international version (english) just went into open beta the 2nd of this month, and the engrish seems thus far to be not present. (though im just starting out, so it could be in the later areas.)

also the site is http://www.perfectworld.com/ now for the english/international version.

I am enjoying it for the moment, though i don't know how long it will last, i will say i found the lack of any manual incredibly frustrating when i was trying to find out some of the hotkeys and commands though.

Just a heads up if anyone is interested. (most of the links on the old site are seemingly broken now anyway.)

mrwakka on
    edited September 2008
    Did you notice the site looks a whole lot less like WoW's now? Maybe they'll even get around fixing some of their other glancing errors as well. Reading through the news report about their international version makes it clear they started a new company in Redwood City, California with the sole purpose of getting PW out there in the rest of the world. They show great faith in their product.

Aldo on
  • mrwakkamrwakka Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, its the best looking and playing free MMORPG i've yet tried, but the most glaring issue i've run into thus far is the lack of documentation, and the in game players either don't know anymore then me or are just plain unhelpful.

I spent awhile asking in game for example if theres a auto run toggle anywhere, but neither in game help nor official site gives any in depth explanation of what hotkeys/commands are available, and asking the other players is like talking to a rock.

mrwakka on
    edited September 2008
    About the only auto-run I ever encountered was clicking on the horizon and watching to make sure I didn't get stuck on a tree or fence.

Seg on
    edited September 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    About the only auto-run I ever encountered was clicking on the horizon and watching to make sure I didn't get stuck on a tree or fence.
    This, yes.

There's some info available on the fansites I linked and you can always ask here. There is no thottbot or allakhazam for this game, at any rate.

Aldo on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, any word on whether or not you can invert mouselook?

I guess I should have asked before downloading 32% of the client already, but... meh.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008
    Seeks wrote: »

I guess I should have asked before downloading 32% of the client already, but... meh.
    i think there was...

This is a dealbreaker for you? @_@

Aldo on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Well, I spent about 3 hours with it last night, played every class to level 4, and determined that no matter how neat the idea of a pandaman turned into a tiger flying on a stingray is, it's only fun for a moment before reverting to it's mediocre free MMO status.

I caved in and bought a WoW game time card. I'm still torn between WoW and EVE though.. :|

Eh.. WoW may be past it'S prime atm, but patch 3.0 and the extension are going to make a lot of people play more, again

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, you can invert mouselook. It's in there under the system preferences (or whatever the graphics toolkit is called). You just have to hunt around for it a bit. It's the first thing I do whenever I start up a new character >_>.

sidhaethe on
    edited September 2008

i think there was...

This is a dealbreaker for you? @_@

If it was a game I had to pay for, yes.

Then again, that InstantAction FPS didn't let me invert mouselook and I haven't bothered playing it again. FPSes are a different story from MMORPGS, though, so I'll see.

Edit:

So the mouse thing really isn't an issue for me, since it controls more like NWN than it does, say, Everquest.

That being said, this is amazingly high quality for something I paid $0 for. I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008
    So me and Kenz started playing again, she is lev30+, I am only lev5. We are playing on the PvP server and we have a guild called "LoliLove" for those interested.

Anyway, I decided to try something else this time around and started up a pure damage cleric.

sc6tt4.jpg

Aldo on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So me and Kenz started playing again, she is lev30+, I am only lev5. We are playing on the PvP server and we have a guild called "LoliLove" for those interested.

Anyway, I decided to try something else this time around and started up a pure damage cleric.

reddude.jpg

Pedo vs Pedo server?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited September 2008

reddude.jpg

Pedo vs Pedo server?

We're fighting over your baby sister. :winky:

Aldo on
    edited September 2008

reddude.jpg

Pedo vs Pedo server?

We're fighting over your baby sister. :winky:

You've been had, she's legal. :P

So Pedobear jokes aside, is this game worth getting into if you have a couple friends who are entertained by the whole fantasy-MMO-schtick, but don't want to deal with the monthly fee and/or extra crap that comes with WoW?

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited September 2008
    I'm having a lot of fun with it, so yes I think it's worth checking out.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    Man.

This game is really fucking addicting.

Only trouble is I've been playing this game for less than two weeks and I'm already getting married to some chick... so I think it turned me into a bit of a fag.

Just, fair warning.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008
    Man.

Only trouble is I've been playing this game for less than two weeks and I'm already getting married to some chick... so I think it turned me into a bit of a fag.

Just, fair warning.
    It's not faggotry if you marry with a woman, Seeks.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    Man.

Just, fair warning.
    It's not faggotry if you marry with a woman, Seeks.

Hm... I've never thought of it like that before.

You're alright, Aldo.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008
    Glad to help. :P

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    Man.

Just, fair warning.

From the research I've done, you have to pay IRL money to get married.

(Yes, I realize that's the way it works IRL as well, and I hope to fucking god it's cheaper in Perfect World.)

Is this true, or can you get hitched in-game for giggles? Also, is it 1:1, or 1::winky: marriage?

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited September 2008
    It's a bit confusing, but it costs "gold."

There are three currencies in PW...

In-game coin: Obvious enough what this is. The "game world's" currency.

Gold: Typically only used for special things, bought at the cash shop (officially: Perfect World Boutique), or for crap like weddings.

Zen: Real-world money. If memory serves, every 100 "Zen Points" is equal to $1, and can be charged into an account to give you 1 Gold. So essentially, every gold piece is a real-world dollar.

However, you can also trade in-game coin for gold at the auctioneer via the gold trading market. Right now, Gold usually goes for about 100,000 coins per 1 gold piece, though that fluctuates from transaction to transaction and it depends on the market.

So basically, nothing at all in the game requires real-life money. Real-life money just makes it easier.

Marriages cost 60 gold, so either $60 or 6,000,000 in-game coins. Of course, I've already racked up about 300k-500k in about ten days of playing, so it's not like 6 million is unobtainable... especially when it's split between two people and they spend a few weeks saving up.

The auction house is a wonderful way to make money, by the way, if you're patient.

Edit: 1:1. I'm not a freak.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008

Ah, gotcha. I know that in some other F2P MMOs there's certain shit you can't get, period, unless you pay real-world money for it. And fuck that. So I'll just grind a bit and scam at the auctionhouse. Is there a level requirement or some other dumb shit? (Forgive my questioning, but Wiki/googling isn't turning up much other than "it's possible.")
    Well, you're no fun. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited September 2008
    I am totally going to add that about the cash shop to the OP, Seeks, that's the kind of information I haven't learned about yet but which makes the game look very pleasant. :^:

(There is a similar system in Puzzle Pirates, by the way, and it worked fantastically there as well.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008

Ah, gotcha. I know that in some other F2P MMOs there's certain shit you can't get, period, unless you pay real-world money for it. And fuck that. So I'll just grind a bit and scam at the auctionhouse. Is there a level requirement or some other dumb shit? (Forgive my questioning, but Wiki/googling isn't turning up much other than "it's possible.")
    Well, you're no fun. :P

Yeah, there are level requirements for the things you can buy... but, there are level requirements for everything in this game. It's kind of annoying, really, but I guess that's just how modern MMOs work. Siiiigh.. I miss UO.

There's no level requirement to use the auctioneer/cash shop/whatever, though. In fact, it's set up in such a way that you have almost a "shared account" between all your characters on your PW account, so you can mule away with one guy and deposit it into your "shared account," and then go withdraw it ("it" being gold/coins) with your main character. Alternately, you could have a mule, a main character, and a "shop" character... see, when you open a shop, your guy turns into a floating cat balloon thing. At least, I think that's how it works... essentially rendering that character stationary until you "cancel" the shop.

You can get away with selling shit at ridiculous prices at those shops, by the way, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, it's all pretty player-friendly.

I've also noticed that there isn't much uber-level stuff in the cash shop, either... the level restrictions are all pretty reasonable. That may or may not be because there are only a small handful of uber-level players so far, though... it's still open beta after all.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, only one guild even managed to grab a territory on the pvp server, which is an indication that there aren't many people around max level.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    I noticed the other day that the PW Int offers crafting materials in the "PW Boutique" which is a great way for them to make money from the players.

Seg on
    edited September 2008
    In fact, it's set up in such a way that you have almost a "shared account" between all your characters on your PW account, so you can mule away with one guy and deposit it into your "shared account," and then go withdraw it ("it" being gold/coins) with your main character.

Seriously? Awesome. I could grind myself stupid on a single character to build up some capital, and have a minimum of fuss if I decide to re-roll and start again with my friends. :)

That way at least they get to skip the repetitive grindfest, and I can give them some decent gear to start with so that they're not using Stick of Slight Sharpness or something like it.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Excerpts of my experience with Perfect World International:

*Hrm, looks pretty cool. Let me go ahead and download it.*
    *Downloads torrent version. Awful slow downloading.*
    *Waits for downloading to finish before making account.*
    *Downloading complete after a day or two.*
    *Go to website to make account.*
    "We are sorry, your region is serviced by a different version of the game."

International my ass. Don't really feel like waiting for the Malaysia version to download now.

That's what I get for being stationed in a Japan.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    Excerpts of my experience with Perfect World International:

*Hrm, looks pretty cool. Let me go ahead and download it.*
    *Downloads torrent version. Awful slow downloading.*
    *Waits for downloading to finish before making account.*
    *Downloading complete after a day or two.*
    *Go to website to make account.*
    "We are sorry, your region is serviced by a different version of the game."

International my ass. Don't really feel like waiting for the Malaysia version to download now.

That's what I get for being stationed in a Japan.
    Oh, shit, that's some bad performance. I'll add to the OP that people living around Malaysia (not including Australia and new Zealand, I reckon) can't play this fancy new version.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    This might become a clusterfuck....There's like 20 different versions of the game out or almost out and if they're all going to be localized I will have to play with some Britons, Turks, Italians, Spaniards and Germans. I only speak proper English and I can understand some German.

If they /are/ going to localize it I will have to give up playing, because damn it I wouldn't be able to communicate with most people playing. Them Turks and Italians love them some MMOs you see and they don't speak English unless there is not a single other Turk or Italian in a 50 miles radius. :(

*edit:

Q : Will there be IP blocks for some countries?
    A : Any country that currently has licensed Perfect World will be blocked. This includes Malaysia, Philippines, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and others. (Xarfox)

Q : Will there be an IP block on Europe?
    A : No. We will not be banning any IPs from Europe. (Xarfox)

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6281&highlight=europe

8edit edit: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=89701&postcount=94 that's settled then.

Aldo on