As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Servers up, social lives down.

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in MMO Extravaganza

Text outright stolen from Morskittar, my esteemed and evil counterpart.

Penny Arcade currently has two active guilds:

Candymancers on Order, an organization of Holy Servants of Sigmar, short drunken men and Wise, Ancient Masters of War. ON AVERHEIM
The Six Mouths on Destruction, a useless mob of ne'er-do-wells and vile miscreants. ON ULTHUAN

/who candymancers or /who the six mouths to find a member and ask to join or /chan candymancers or /chan TSM and a guild representative will be right with you! Note: Both groups (I think) require registration on their forums before membership benefits are conferred.

Server List at bottom of OP.

WARHAMMER ONLINE: AGE OF RECKONING[/center]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY
That should be all we need in way of introduction, at this point.

For those interested in playing, important dates are:

- September 18th: WAR is released.
- Forever after that: You don't move from your computer. Period.

For more information, watch the podcasts.

For PA impressions, and whatnot, check out the WAR FAQ thread.

Adding this by request, and because it's generally kickass and useful.
Akira wrote: »
Alright since this seems to bring up a lot of questions I have compiled an FAQ and location guide for the first two tiers of Renown gear.

Renown Gear and You: What is it and where do I get it?

"Renown Gear" is armor and weapons you can buy from certain vendors that has both a level and Renown rank requirement, usually the Renown rank requirement is about 2/3rds of your actual level (so it would take level 9 and Renown rank 6 for example). Also, as of September 7th, some T2 Renown gear has the wrong stats (the Magus at least) and this will presumably be fixed in the future (hopefully soon). The 10/6 gear from the last preview weekend is gone, it was intended for use in an old test phase and was left in accidentally. Similar gear is available now from 11/7 to 16/11

Where to get it:

The first number refers to level requirement, the second is Renown rank requirement (i.e. 11/7 means you need level 11 and Renown rank 7). The "sets" aren't really sets and don't have bonuses or anything but they represent a loose tiering of gear. Common is "white" gear, Uncommon is "green" gear.

T1 Zones
the first "set" is sold in both the starter quest hub area and the Warcamp, while the second set is sold only at the Warcamp.

First "set"

2/1: Boots (Common)

3/2: Gloves and Accessory 1 (Common)

4/2: Belt, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Common)

5/3: Body and Accessory 3 (Common)

Second "set"

6/4: Boots (Uncommon)

7/4: Gloves and Accessory 1 (Uncommon)

8/5: Belt, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

9/6: Body and Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

T2 Zones
bought at the top floor of PvP area Keeps.

First "set"

11/7: Boots (Uncommon)

12/8: Gloves and Belt (Uncommon)

13/9: Shoulders and Accessory 1 (Uncommon)

14/9: Body, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

15/10: Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

16/11: Helm (Common)

Second "set"

16/11: Boots (Uncommon)

17/11: Gloves and Belt(Uncommon)

18/12: Shoulder and Accessory 1(Uncommon)

19/13: Helm, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

20/14: Body and Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

21/14: Cloak (Common)

Server List and Rulesets For Launch
James Nichols | From the Dev Team | 09/11/2008 @ 04:14:00 EST
WAAAGH!!!

Servers, servers - get'ya servers! Below you will find the server names we anticipate being available at Launch. These will begin going live Sunday, September 14th with the Collector’s Edition Head Start and will continue to roll out leading up to Launch on September 18th.

Players will be able to choose from four server types: Core, Open RvR, Roleplay, and a hybrid Roleplay/Open RvR ruleset. We will continue to open up servers supporting different server types as the need arises.

Core Ruleset

Core servers are just what you’d expect. These are servers that have everything Warhammer has to offer, with no special changes to the normal ruleset. RvR is confined to lakes and Scenarios, and there are two opposing realms engaged in the WAR. Players may only engage in Player vs. Player combat when flagged to do so in specific areas around the world. Select a Core ruleset server for the original exciting gameplay experience that WAR was designed to offer.

Open RvR Ruleset

The Open RvR servers feature RvR flagging everywhere except for the Tier 1 Chapter area and the surrounding PvE content. Once players leave this area, they will be flagged for RvR anywhere in the game. Open RvR servers are perfect for those who want to add an extra challenge to their gaming experience. Players must constantly watch their backs or risk attack by enemies everywhere they go! Only members of opposing realms may attack each other; the Open RvR server still focuses on Order versus Destruction.

Rules:

- Players are always RvR flagged from the moment they log in
- Chapter 1 hubs and capital cities are safe
- There is no bolster buff in RvR lakes
- Players will be chickened when entering an area that is two tiers below their level (ex. A Tier 3 player entering a Tier 1 area.)

Roleplay and Roleplay/Open RvR

Any server flagged as Roleplay will follow the same rules as above, but with an additional set of guidelines. These servers are for those players who enjoy truly immersing themselves into the Warhammer lore by acting as their characters’ personalities in-game. Players who opt to participate on a Role Playing server must agree to far more specific rules regarding naming, and it is suggested that players would adhere to WAR or high fantasy conduct and behavior.

Oceanic Server List

Darklands - Core

Ironclaw - Core

Anlec - Open RvR

Lustria - Roleplay

Lucan - Core

Marius- Core

North American Server List

Red Eye Mountain - Core

Skull Throne - Core

Badlands - Core

Sylvania - Core

Volkmar - Core

Hochland - Open RvR

Wolfenburg - Open RvR

Dark Crag - Open RvR

Phoenix Throne - Roleplay

Chaos Wastes - RP/Open RvR

Monolith - Core

Saphery - Core

Thorgrim - Core

Heldenhammer - Core

Sea of Claws - Core

Wasteland - Core

Sea of Malice - Core

Drakwald - Core

Ironfist - Core

Drifting Castle - Core

Praag - Open RvR

Wurtbad - Open RvR

Stoutheart - Open RvR

Artois - Open RvR

Southlands - Open RvR

Bugman - Open RvR

Skavenblight - Roleplay

Avelorn - Roleplay

Ostermark - Roleplay

Tower of Doom - RP/Open RvR

Vaul's Anvil - RP/Open RvR
[/quote]

Great webpage with Maps.
bearded-gobbo.jpg

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The server list is missing Ostermark and Tor Elyr (Role Play) and Bretonnia (Core). I think those were added sometime in the CE phase after the initial servers.

Timmer on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I see the gobbostache is represented properly in the OP, as it should be.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hazywater wrote:
    The Six mouths are very popular.

I'm trying to decide what to roll when i get off work. I think T6M will be dominant on their server, at least from looking at what else is on their server.

The pop balance isn't too bad-looking on this server. Grudge, The Aureus Knights, Vigilant Addiction, and the F13 alliance are all 80-160 member guilds, and we're looking at us, Hammerfist Clan, and Blood Eagle on Dest. Should be close as long as Order shows a little organization. A couple good hc pvp guilds on both sides too. I'm betting Order will flesh out with some good-loving casuals on launch.

You're certainly going to be better off on Ulthuan than on an Open server, or any of the rolling CE servers, as far as balance. Not clear how SE servers will turn out yet, at least not to me as I'm stuck at work for the next three hours.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The Candymancers are not the dominant Order guild on our server, but we're definitely receiving more name recognition than any of the others. (We're ranked 6 in Order, 12 overall on Realm War.)

I'll take getting into a scenario and actually having someone cheer us (The Candymancers! Go Penny Arcade) to being top guild any day. ;P

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    that is the best goblin ever

Ledneh on
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arg! Half an hour of work before I can play. I have no idea what class I'm going to end up with at this point, other than that it will be destruction.

I only got a chance to play zealot on beta, and had fun with that.. but there are soooo many cool options especially after reading the forums a bit almost everything sounds good. They really need to release a patch that makes most of the classes shitty so I don't have to decide.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am actually really looking forward to buying this game.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only way that gobbo could be any better would be if he was doing /special as well.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Roleplay servers are all goddamn barren

I blame you guys!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    TuesdayTuesday Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    I am actually really looking forward to buying this game.

As well you should given how fantastic it can be/is. Now to just burn away these last 45 minutes.

Tuesday on
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I blame you guys!

Dwarves and greenskins need no server to roleplay.

sim on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PnP game tonight, work tomorrow, guest coming over tomorrow evening...

Crap.

Hmm, I don't need sleep every night

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't need sleep every night

Sleep is for little girls.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    Timmer wrote: »
    We'll just have to disagree I guess ... people not playing their best or using good strategies is not a reason to be a jerk -- one or two people play wrong, armchair general yells constantly and ruins the fun for everyone else just trying to have a good time, unwinding from their day.

The problem is folks like you only look at how someone is messing up your time by talking shit. You don't consider the people fucking around not trying are fucking up MY time by not playing for real in a competitive setting.

If you just want to fuck around and death match people then just go do some world PvP where nobody pays for your shit. Don't join a match between two teams that have objectives. It's like showing up at a pickup basketball game and then deciding you're just going to try to practice your half-court lob. It's rude and inconsiderate to the people who are actually trying to play for real.

So you get what you give.

I look at it differently. Whether I'm in a game or in the outside world, I expect people to treat others with some amount of respect and politeness. As I said, I have no problems with people trying to organize and communicate -- in fact, I think it's great!

It's the "OMG YOU GUYS SUCK CUZ YOU'RE NOT PLAYING HOW I WANT YOU TO" lines that are the problem. These lines never work, just are rude, and are made out of anger because, well, others aren't listening (ironic then if you think about it!)

Anyway, your language is getting harsher so I think you're taking my comments for more than I intended. When I join a Scenario I plan to play and I try to play as a team but when there's 20 people on a team not everyone follows everyone else. You can't control others. I guess you can either try to have fun anyway or get pissed off that others have a free will, too. If you want 100% organized teams you need to form up before hand.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I blame you guys!

I know =( ... well Phoenix Throne is full. I think they'll fill up once retail starts. Really most servers are Low currently -- heck, most people won't be playing until retail by a long shot. It just makes picking one RP server right now difficult since if 4 of 5 do fill up (which they will) I don't want to have picked the 5th one ;)

Timmer on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So how's the Magus class?

I must play vicariously through you guys until early next week.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    Yeah but you're a bothersome asshole so nobody really cares if they're wasting your time.

And like I said, you get what you give. Don't care if you're wasting my time, I don't care if I ruin yours telling you that you're fucking worthless.

(ps - NUTRIDA)

Hey, fighttest, what server do you play on?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nissl wrote:

I haven't seen lots of them in action (er... for good reason), but I think everyone would agree that this is the one class out of the twenty that still needs a little more despite already being buffed recently. Needs to get close for too many things, too much AOE damage that isn't enough to hurt any single target too severely. Just too squishy for their damage output and utility right now. Not *bad*, but then every other class is pretty good.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Information regarding PW+ and OB is rather irrelevant now, yet it's still in the OP. What madness is this?

Everyone hurry up to Tier 2 so someone can tank my PQs!

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dondums wrote: »
    Information regarding PW+ and OB is rather irrelevant now, yet it's still in the OP. What madness is this?

Everyone hurry up to Tier 2 so someone can tank my PQs!

Listen, you rat bastard...

Your constructive criticism is appreciated. *Ahem*

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Joeslop wrote: »
    So, to install mods, I just unzip them to the user -> interface -> AllCharacters folder?

No, you want it in the root WAR\Interface\Addons NOT War\user\Interaface\...

But.... I don't have a folder like that.

I think you can just create the \Interface\Addons folder manually and place them in there.

Timmer on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, to install mods, I just unzip them to the user -> interface -> AllCharacters folder?

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Woo... I replied before you asked! I'm good! :)

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I blame you guys!

::cough:: called it ::cough::

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Wilford BrimleyWilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    zilo wrote: »

I must play vicariously through you guys until early next week.

Comparatively, I'd say they're a bit on the weak side right now.. They're not a popular pick though so you don't have to worry about the problems that come with being an overpopulated class. I think the problem is they haven't really been around as long as the other classes, and turrets/horrors have only really worked well very recently with the 4.1 patch. I think mythic's still figuring out what makes the supposedly "defensive rdps" defensive since as it stands they're not really doing that. Their personal damage is not considered great and turret/horror damage is low. I'd say right now their role is a sort of mid range aoe rdps class. I think right now they're a bit weak, not straight out bad, just a little underwhelming. I can't imagine them staying in this state for very long though. I think mythic was trying to make launch as stable as possible so they'll probably be tweaked pretty soon once things have calmed down a bit.

Keep in mind though there's been little experience with the current iteration of the magus at high levels so things may get better. This is also pretty true with engineer, they've both undergone major changes.

Wilford Brimley on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Of course, never, ever worry about which class is overpowered and which is underpowered upon release.

The nerf bat smiteth, and it smiteth heavily by the hand of Sigmar. Yea, and I say unto you Engineers and Magi... So too will ye be lifted unto the heavens, to rightfully top the DPS charts.

Amen.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm just looking at the maps on that site while I patch, and this confuses me greatly.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm just looking at the maps on that site while I patch, and this confuses me greatly.

Is it GM island?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    grimlock9909grimlock9909 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    just two more days! Then i can play^^
    I wasn't able to get a code for head start, which sucks but meh it's only two days.

grimlock9909 on
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hello everyone,

There are currently 4 servers on which players are experiencing high wait times. All other servers currently have no queue at this time. Players are strongly cautioned against starting their adventures here if they can play elsewhere. All four of these servers are at the maximum population cap possible.

The servers are:

Volkmar
    Skull Throne
    Badlands
    Dark Crag

Even if most of the posts do not retain to me in any way, I do enjoy the Herald and its frequent updates.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    sup tier 3

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This game will not stop crashing on me. It just crashed after one minute in the game (or less) three times in a row now.

And now I keep trying to run the game and my computer does that little "deedle dee" sound that it makes when you plug something in a USB port, and then nothing happens.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So... the Collector's Edition books are apparently fucking amazing.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Is it GM island?

thunder mountain, GvD tier 4

Unknown User on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I blame you guys!

I have a Bright Wizard on Lustria. Named Tim.

I plan on just taking him out some day and randomly detonating the ground with AoEs until someone tries to talk to me.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    TuesdayTuesday Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It really helps your login process if you add the Head Start key to your account first. :x

Tuesday on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dondums wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

There are currently 4 servers on which players are experiencing high wait times. All other servers currently have no queue at this time. Players are strongly cautioned against starting their adventures here if they can play elsewhere. All four of these servers are at the maximum population cap possible.

The servers are:

Volkmar
    Skull Throne
    Badlands
    Dark Crag

Even if most of the posts do not retain to me in any way, I do enjoy the Herald and its frequent updates.

hey i play on dark crag

Unknown User on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tuesday wrote: »
    It really helps your login process if you add the Head Start key to your account first. :x

It took me 20 minutes to figure this out yesterday...

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I chose poorly by coming to work today.

The stunties don't kill themselves.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so how long did it take people to get their headstart key when they ordered from the EA store?

ghost_master2000 on
This discussion has been closed.