As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batch ID3 retaggers

Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
So are there any that don't suck? I need one

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on

• Options
    ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ID3-TagIt is great for re-tagging, re-naming, re-sorting, or anything else. My only big gripe is that it's (seemingly) impossible to have it work on directories, just files. So if you have everything sorted into subdirectories it can be a pain to re-tag it all.

ecchi on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    musicbrainz picard

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Foobar 2000 has a complete mass tagger/renamer
    very customizable, works with directories.

if you have been in any way consistent with your filenames, its a breeze.

Xantus on
  • Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Tag&Rename, not free, but the best I've used.

Musicbrainz doesn't have half the albums I threw at it.
    The Godfather has a crappy UI, and not enough search options, also, it's not great at finding album art.

varland on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    varland wrote:

ummm

are you sure? did you use the website to search for them? or just get ??? results within the program and give up?

if the database truly doesnt have whatever music it is you have, then contribute to it by adding in that information - its all user handled

edit: you have to understand how it works in that its only making guesses, and only based on information already supplied. if the information is too different from the proper tag, it wont get any result for you.

so you find it on the website, and then it adds the tag templates into the program in real time and you drag those files onto the template

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Another vote for Musicbrainz Picard. Make sure to follow their beginner's guide and you'll get the most out of it.

The PUID stuff is fucking snazzy btw.

Giganticus on
  • Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    varland wrote:

ummm

are you sure? did you use the website to search for them? or just get ??? results within the program and give up?

if the database truly doesnt have whatever music it is you have, then contribute to it by adding in that information - its all user handled

edit: you have to understand how it works in that its only making guesses, and only based on information already supplied. if the information is too different from the proper tag, it wont get any result for you.

so you find it on the website, and then it adds the tag templates into the program in real time and you drag those files onto the template
    I searched for them, but I couldn't find the exact releases. Like some Radiohead albums where the tracklist is different for the US releases and EU releases. Not to mention the JP releases.

If I wanted to contribute I'd contribute to FreeDB, but I don't so I don't. And even if I contributed to Musicbrainz they have to confirm my addition, so I have no use for what I add what so ever.

I'm a user who wants his albums to get correctly tagged with album art. I don't want to sit around, mucking about and switching between musicbrainz and their site.

varland on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Musicbrainz is scary. It's kind of confusing and it's like there's a button that says "Possibly rape your entire naming scheme?" I couldn't figure out a good way to just tag the stuff I wanted. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

If you need to tag WMA files along with MP3 ones, mp3Tag is a good, free choice. Otherwise ID3-TagIt is what I'd go with.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    psydeathpsydeath Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    im gonna say the one i use
    tagscanner
    http://xdev.narod.ru/tagscan_e.htm
    im using the 5.0 beta right now and its a big step up from the 4.9
    i duno where i found the beta tho
    has all the features i want and i find its easy to use

psydeath on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Here's two of my favourites:

* Mp3Tag (Freeware, kicks ass and easy to use)
    * The Godfather (Freeware, kicks bigger asses, but is harder to use)

I use both of them, depending on the situation.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One thing I hate about taggers is when they fill the album tag with greatest hits and compilation albums.

It's not that big of a deal, but it was always just a pet peeve of mine.

The song had to be on a CD before it was a "greatest hit." If I'm suddenly stricken to check what CD a song was on, I want to know the actual CD was.

Hint: It's not "Greatest Hits: MMCVIII."

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    picard will suggest a greatest hits or compilation album typically when the length of the song suggests that the mp3 you have IS from a greatest hits or compilation album

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    this thread was literally three months old

if we really want to talk about batch retaggers let's make a new thread

Captain K on
This discussion has been closed.