As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] GMod - Where grown-ass people play with dolls.

• VathrisVathris Baconist @EndofTimeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys, I have been trolling this topic for about two days now and when I get home I'm downloading steam again and buying Gmod 10 for some online shenanigans. If you guys see me online, expect to see nothing amazing :P

Vathris on
  • UEAK CarnageUEAK Carnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Vathris wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have been trolling this topic for about two days now and when I get home I'm downloading steam again and buying Gmod 10 for some online shenanigans. If you guys see me online, expect to see nothing amazing :P

No problem, I rarely am able to amaze myself, let alone anyone else. You know what server it is right? UEAK/PA Super Secret Russian Missile Base. I haven't been on in a couple days, I hope it's still up XD.

Password: Wang

UEAK Carnage on
    Something witty.
    Just wait until you start seeing those Goddamn bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]UEAK+Carnage.png
  • VathrisVathris Baconist @EndofTimeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yah I got in and played around a bit, it was hard to figure everything out but I had a blast with hoverballs. I made a cool little launcher with them and sent random npc's into the air :P

Vathris on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    Bearcat wrote: »
    Bearcat wrote: »
    Really simple steering is easy. Complex, good steering is hard.

Easy steering, though, all you need to do is put thrusters on the sides of your car and assign them to different keys.

Or you could devise an overly-elaborate and realistic rack and pinion steering steering system with a working steering wheel.

Or just use 2 thrusters placed on opposite corners using the same key inputs.

Diagram, where = is car and T is thruster:

T==
    ===
    ==T

Or you could use gears.

Why is everyone suggesting thrusters for cars? What car have you guys driven that runs by thrusters?

I've always used motors for my steering needs. Rear wheel's drive, front wheels steer.

Not everyone plays Gmod for its realism.

Vic on
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I broke down and purchased Gary's Mod through steam after wanting to get it for a while. Letting your imagination go (Or let loose) sounds like a really fun way to kill the time to me. Is it difficult starting out? Are there any Tutorials that can help me figure things out or is it simple enough to just figure it out using ye olde method of "Try, Try Again"?

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
    edited February 2008
    DudBolt wrote: »
    So I broke down and purchased Gary's Mod through steam after wanting to get it for a while. Letting your imagination go (Or let loose) sounds like a really fun way to kill the time to me. Is it difficult starting out? Are there any Tutorials that can help me figure things out or is it simple enough to just figure it out using ye olde method of "Try, Try Again"?

Well, I'm not the one exactly to answer the question, but I suppose I can lay out the basics. It's not too difficult starting out, it takes a little bit to get used it, but you can eventually do some pretty quick work.

Basics: Hold Q to open your menu. In the upper left region is the box where you find your spawnlists, and get all your props. You can download addons to get more proplists and things like that, but a lot of times you have to have other source games installed or you just see big red ERRORS.

Select a spawnlist, (construction props, useful comic props, HL2 characters/vehicles) and below it you get a field of images that the props are represented by. Click one, and it spawns.

In the right side of the menu is your tools and their properties. The most useful one by far is weld. Usually, you can select any of the tools and a rather self explanatory banner appears at the top of your screen, directing you as to the use and procedure of the tool.

As far as try try again, that's what I did while figuring out what all of the tools could be used for to their extents. Thrusters are fun, trial by error is the funniest way to learn about them.

When manipulating props, the physics gun can either push them a distance away or pull them by using the mouse wheel, (not recommended for large structures or precise calibration) while holding the left mouse button holds the object, and right clicking while holding freezes it in place.
    While holding an object you can turn it in place by holding down 'E' and moving the mouse. It is squirrely at best, and there is some trick to holding 'shift + E' to make it rotate at angles or align itself properly, but I'm taking a -4 on that check for not being proficient with Garry's Mod.

Be careful, because if you hit 'Z', it undoes the last action, such as spawning a prop, making a weld, attaching a rope, putting on wheels, all that jazz. I use it as a tool when I screw up, but it also doesn't undo certain things like colouring props. So just excercise caution because it's very frustrating to get something perfectly aligned, color it red, decide it was better white and your car just up and dissappears when you hit Z. There is also a command that unfreezes all props, but I can't remember it offhand so I'd just check your keybindings to make sure of what it is.

That is about all I can tell you from my end, and it's a bit more than I knew when I started, and I hope it helps a bit. Pretty much all of the people on this thread are better versed in GMod than I, so feel free to ask them, or just ask when you get on the server. They are all willing to help and direct, if they're not too busy. Just a working knowledge of the menu is enough to get a fertile start, and combined with your try, try again, you'll be building catapults in no time.

UEAK Carnage on
    Something witty.
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm, every time I try to connect to the server I time out. Anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is also a command that unfreezes all props, but I can't remember it offhand so I'd just check your keybindings to make sure of what it is.

Side note, this command is R while holding the physics gun. I think it's supposed to be R once to unfreeze one thing, twice to unfreeze everything (but I don't know if it actually works this way, once might unfreeze everything).

If you want to selectively unfreeze one thing, grab it with the physics gun and let go. The freeze should wear off right then.

freakish light on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is also a command that unfreezes all props, but I can't remember it offhand so I'd just check your keybindings to make sure of what it is.

Side note, this command is R while holding the physics gun. I think it's supposed to be R once to unfreeze one thing, twice to unfreeze everything (but I don't know if it actually works this way, once might unfreeze everything).

If you want to selectively unfreeze one thing, grab it with the physics gun and let go. The freeze should wear off right then.

Reload (R) will unfreeze everything. I also just touch it with the physics gun to unfreeze a single object, as you suggested. I think that is the 'button' for that.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Coulda sworn I saw in tool tips somewhere that R once unfreezes one thing, but that was probably outdated if it existed at all. shrug.

freakish light on
    edited February 2008
    I just thought I'd share this with you guys, in light of our recent "holiday."

gm_construct0010.jpg

Happy Valentines Day, ehr whatever.

UEAK Carnage on
    Something witty.
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I made a big ol space ship.

That is a train car down there.
    sbgooniverse0023ok4.jpg

There are four landing bays on the bottom floor, along with all the generators/tanks/amenities. There are supply connectors for fighters/smaller spacecraft to land and fill up.
    sbgooniverse0024ed5.jpg

The view from the cockpit:
    sbgooniverse0021fy0.jpg

Among other things, right now it has a walkway from the second to third floors (which I haven't put any railings on yet, so it is a liiiittle bit dangerous) ...
    sbgooniverse0012dm2.jpg

...a glass balcony...
    sbgooniverse0000fk3.jpg

and an all glass room for fancy viewing use:
    sbgooniverse0017qy2.jpg

I am going to clean up my thrusters/stabilization systems/generators a bit, then I will have more room for a manpong court on the first floor. Not sure what else to put in it yet though, basically the whole second floor is empty.

It uses only thrusters to fly, then when you want to put it into orbit mode it turns on wire hoverballs that all get the same z coordinate from a gps so it evens out, and then only when that is on there are thrusters on the sides of the ship to make sure it stays under 10 mph in any direction so it is safe to walk.

I am proud of this even if it isn't that great.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • CelethangCelethang Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looks pretty badass to me. It'd be interesting to see how well it works.

Celethang on
  • MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've got a question I hope you can answer..
    I'd like to get this into my single player, but I followed the instructions ("Drag and drop the folders "Materials", "Models" and "Scripts" into "Steam/SteamApps/Username/Garrysmod/Garrysmod/") and it's not showing up. Do I have to use the model browser? I've got a feeling it has something to do with the fact that the folder for "models" has a folder inside it, and THEN the props.

EDIT: What files control their texture? Because now I can find them in the model browser but they're transparent errors (they glow blue for a second after spawning them)
    Maybe I'll redownload the whole thing...

Mightyhog on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jpeg, are those new spacebuild models? Your ship is awesome, I never have enough patience to make big ones.

BlueDestiny on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Awesome, awesome ship. Manpong will live on, in the far reaches of spaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

The biggest advice I could ever give anybody new to Gmod. Watch and learn.

Go to build servers, eyeball what folks are doing, and even ask a question or two. As long as you're not being annoying or getting in their way, most serious builders will be glad to help you.

There's also a frickton of tutorial videos on youtube. Type in something like "gmod wire tutorial", and you'll see a ton of them. There's a ton of nifty tricks you'll pick up on that will make your life so much easier than if you were to just dive in and try to figure it all out yourself. Of course, you'll probably be doing quite a bit of that anyhow. ;)

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • XinramXinram Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I got this. It is awesome.

Still haven't got a clue what I'm doing most of the time, but it's awesome.

Xinram on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone still using the server?

UEAKCrash on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is the server even still working? I tried adding it to my favorites but it said there that the server was not responding...
    Anyway, this shit is totally awesome, even if half the time I use it to see what happens if I spawn a lot of barrels and then go KABLOO-Y!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yep, still up, just looked for UEAK/ PA Super Secret Russian Missile Base in the server list.

UEAKCrash on
  • XinramXinram Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I messed around together with Ampix on the server a bit tonight, a bit laggy but nothing too bad and it's worth it to be free from random annoying explosive-spamming people.

Xinram on
    edited March 2008
    Sorry, don't know what's been going on lately, been pretty busy with other things. The server is up again though, if it was down.

UEAK Carnage on
    Something witty.
    edited March 2008
    Is the finger poser broken or am I just doing something wrong?

freakish light on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is the finger poser broken or am I just doing something wrong?

Broken for TF2 characters.

Sueve on
    edited March 2008
    That makes sense. Too bad. I just got some guitar models, too D:

freakish light on
  • AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seeing jpeg's model actually inspired me to buy GMod and do some spaceship construction of my own. Well, okay- not construction, really. More like outright theft. I wanted to do the battlecruiser from Homeworld 2 up as a spacebuild model. So after 2 days and a lot of hair pulling, I've got some results for you.

Here is the ship in HW2, its natural environment:
    BC-Top-4.jpg

And here it is after 5 hours of converting, hacking, and fumbling. Interesting note, this is actually significantly scaled down. The actual to-scale model wouldn't fit on any map. I've scaled it down further since this shot, but tried to retain some sense of the ridiculous mass of the thing.

gm_flatgrass0002.jpg

Here it is with a more realistic size and a new physics model- I wanted it hollow so that I could actually construct an interior for it. The collision box is a little rough due to the scale of the thing, but you *can* run around inside it. I set up a little apartment with a couch and TV in the hangar but forgot to save it. The upside of the rough physics box is that it's not actually a huge resource hit- about the same as one of the military models.

sb_gooniverse0003.jpg

Last but not least, here's one of me getting run over by my own model. If you look at the back end you can see that it's missing some engine textures- I'll have to work on that. The turrets are also missing, but that was intentional- I want to import them seperately and program them with wiremod.

sb_gooniverse0002.jpg

I am going to switch to my laptop and then put up a working version of the model for download. Happy hacking!

Edit: Here you go. I don't know much about the GMod menu system, so for the time being just unzip this into your addons folder, and bring it into the game by hitting Q, going to the "Other" tab, and looking under GMod. It should be a folder that says battlecruiser.
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=33135

Alethiometer on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seeing jpeg's model actually inspired me to buy GMod and do some spaceship construction of my own. Well, okay- not construction, really. More like outright theft. I wanted to do the battlecruiser from Homeworld 2 up as a spacebuild model. So after 2 days and a lot of hair pulling, I've got some results for you.

BC-Top-4.jpg

And here it is after 5 hours of converting, hacking, and fumbling. Interesting note, this is actually significantly scaled down. The actual to-scale model wouldn't fit on any map. I've scaled it down further since this shot, but tried to retain some sense of the ridiculous mass of the thing.

gm_flatgrass0002.jpg

Here it is with a more realistic size and a new physics model- I wanted it hollow so that I could actually construct an interior for it. The collision box is a little rough due to the scale of the thing, but you *can* run around inside it. I set up a little apartment with a couch and TV in the hangar but forgot to save it. The upside of the rough physics box is that it's not actually a huge resource hit- about the same as one of the military models.

sb_gooniverse0003.jpg

Last but not least, here's one of me getting run over by my own model. If you look at the back end you can see that it's missing some engine textures- I'll have to work on that. The turrets are also missing, but that was intentional- I want to import them seperately and program them with wiremod.

sb_gooniverse0002.jpg

I am going to switch to my laptop and then put up a working version of the model for download. Happy hacking!

Edit: Here you go. I don't know much about the GMod menu system, so for the time being just unzip this into your addons folder, and bring it into the game by hitting Q, going to the "Other" tab, and looking under GMod. It should be a folder that says battlecruiser.

That is by far the most awesome, fantastic and bad ass thing I've ever seen in GMOD.

EDIT: Now, make it fly-able and it needs lazers.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited March 2008

BC-Top-4.jpg

gm_flatgrass0002.jpg

sb_gooniverse0003.jpg

sb_gooniverse0002.jpg

That is by far the most awesome, fantastic and bad ass thing I've ever seen in GMOD.

EDIT: Now, make it fly-able and it needs lazers.

Charge-able lazers.

freakish light on
    edited March 2008
    Also, import the fighters and mother ship so we can have giant Gmod space battles. :shock:

EDIT: Also, would it be possible to put space mod on the server and gooniverse map? Might breath some life back into the server.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited March 2008
    Thank you!

I plan on doing a couple of the other models- now that I have an idea of the process it should be easy as long as I don't go overboard on the collision detection. I'd like to focus on making the cruiser as awesome as possible just as a centerpiece, though. The motherships are probably out- given their scale relative to the cruiser, pretty much the entire Gooniverse map would fit inside one of them.

I'm still a relative noob as far as GMod goes. Is it possible to use your own models on public servers, or does the server actually have to start with a copy of it? I.e. Could I waltz into the PA server and drop one of these homeworld models down? Banning issues aside.

Alethiometer on
    edited March 2008
    I'd think everyone needs a local copy of the model in order to see it, but you could always just release a model pack. I'm sure a lot of people out there would love to have a Homeworld model pack.

LittleBoots on

edited March 2008
    EDIT: Never mind, it's working now.

LittleBoots on

edited March 2008
    Here is ship number two. Takes about an hour per model.

sb_gooniverse0004.jpg

sb_gooniverse0006.jpg

I won't keep posting these, I'll just do an update in a week or so with all of them as a big pack. If you have a favorite ship from the game please request it now to make sure it gets included!

Alethiometer on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    HEY GUYS

A BUNCH OF PAERS HAVE BEEN PLAYING THIS

BUT WE'D REALLY LIKE THE PA SERVER UPDATED AND MORE PEOPLE TO PLAY

SO UH COME PLAY

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ah-hem, it would seem that I have been forced into the Gmoding by rereading Concerned. So, soon I would like to start a game of manpong with you guys. I thought it was better than starting a new thread anyway.

Xtarath on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is there an updated server or something?

I would play this, but I need to play WAR.

I wish I had four arms, eyes, and the ability to use them effectively.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ill Gmod the Gmod if the server is working, and there's actual people there, you know the requirements for Gmod/manpong.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never played manpong, but it sounds fun. I'll come play if you guys get a game together.

Which Half-Life game do I need to have installed in order to play gmod again? I forget.

Food on
    edited September 2008
    I'd assume the Source SDK. Garry's Mod actually costs $$$ now, though, so it probably comes with it. Steam will take care of it.

freakish light on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, manpong, how I've missed ye.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg