As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Tight

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Am I the only guy on earth who thinks that Meg White is hot?

She's cute, nice rack, plays drums.

Could do a lot worse.

Inquisitor on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Passerbye wrote: »
    1) I don't consider SE++ to be funny most of the time.

2) I like grammar and punctuation. I would be naked without them. Do you really want to see that?

1)no

2)maybe?

MikeMan on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    I would be naked without them. Do you really want to see that?

I think you're asking the wrong crowd.

Oh, I think not. :winky:

Passerbye on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are you really asking whether we want to see you naked?

I mean, we have to say yes just on general principle usually.

mrflippy on
    edited September 2008
    in fact it's illegal to say no

it's in the bibletution

MikeMan on
    edited September 2008
    That hurts MikeMan.

Inquisitor on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »

2) I like grammar and punctuation. I would be naked without them. Do you really want to see that?

1)no

2)maybe?

2) What're you, gay or something? A female's talking about being naked. Get with the program, Mike.

Passerbye on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    in fact it's illegal to say no

it's in the bibletution

This is true.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A non fiction writer that focuses on that stuff less will produce inferior work.

Okay, now I'm really confused.

A non-fiction writer that focuses on plot and characterization less? A non-fiction writer doesn't necessarily need to focus on plot or characterization at all. Are we talking about the same things?

Characterization is painting a picture of the people around the narrator or protagonist. Fleshing out round, intriguing characters. A non fiction writer can ignore this he's just telling his story about 'nam or whatever, but it will produce inferior work, because people in real life are rarely flat or static characters.

Casual Eddy on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Oh, is that what step denotes?
    I think so, since the first time you could only have one pair of people shake hands per step.

N-1 for even N

N-1 + ceiling N/2 for odd N?

Does that even work?

I'm not sure. For N = 3, you can only have one pair at a time anyways:
    So:
    1-2

1-3

2-3

Is 3 steps. So N-1 + ceiling N/2 = 2 + 2 = 4. But, in this case N-1 + floor N/2 would work. Unless 3 is just a special case. 5 gets complicated and I don't feel like working it out. :P

I've got 7 steps for 5 people

Senjutsu on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

1)no

2)maybe?

2) What're you, gay or something? A female's talking about being naked. Get with the program, Mike.

1) Three.

2) Schwa.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think my friends are just weird so. Most of them don't think Lacey Mosley is hot either =\

Tav on
    edited September 2008
    A non fiction writer that focuses on that stuff less will produce inferior work.

Okay, now I'm really confused.

A non-fiction writer that focuses on plot and characterization less? A non-fiction writer doesn't necessarily need to focus on plot or characterization at all. Are we talking about the same things?

Characterization is painting a picture of the people around the narrator or protagonist. Fleshing out round, intriguing characters. A non fiction writer can ignore this he's just telling his story about 'nam or whatever, but it will produce inferior work, because people in real life are rarely flat or static characters.

I think we're talking about two different things when we talk about "non-fiction" here. By "non-fiction," I'm not just referring to memoirs.

Feral on

edited September 2008

1)no

2)maybe?

1) Three.

2) Schwa.

3)onions

9001)IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAA-

MikeMan on
    edited September 2008
    what else do you mean then?

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2008
    I think my friends are just weird so. Most of them don't think Lacey Mosley is hot either =\

Um...

I didn't find the woman in that GIS particularly attractive.

Feral on

edited September 2008

Yeah I'm with your friends on this one.

Inquisitor on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah I'm with your friends on this one.

Heh. I wasn't going to say, but agreed.

Nova_C on
    edited September 2008

1)no

2)maybe?

2) everyone knows everyone on the internet is male until proven otherwise

so, that's the reason for the maybe

MikeMan on
    edited September 2008
    1) Three.

2) Schwa.

1) Star Wars.

2) Batman Beyond.

Yay association games?

Passerbye on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Um...

Actually, they're not very flattering pictures. I just GiS'd her and pasted the link for reference.

Tav on
    edited September 2008

Um...

I get the idea that she might be more attractive with different hair and/or makeup choices.

mrflippy on
    edited September 2008
    what else do you mean then?

Well... you know... non-fiction. Books on history, philosophy, psychology... Like the books on my nightstand at home right now are This is Your Brain on Music, Generation Debt, Foucault's The History of Sexuality, and Beware the Talking Cure.

Feral on

edited September 2008
    Ah, N-1 for even N, 2N - 3 for odd N

Senjutsu on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, is that what step denotes?
    I think so, since the first time you could only have one pair of people shake hands per step.

N-1 for even N

N-1 + ceiling N/2 for odd N?

Does that even work?

I'm not sure. For N = 3, you can only have one pair at a time anyways:
    So:
    1-2

1-3

2-3

Is 3 steps. So N-1 + ceiling N/2 = 2 + 2 = 4. But, in this case N-1 + floor N/2 would work. Unless 3 is just a special case. 5 gets complicated and I don't feel like working it out. :P

It's okay
    It's N-1 for even #s
    N for odd #s

EDIT: Or what Senj said, he's probably right

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited September 2008

1)no

2)maybe?

Well, if you thought I was male, you still said maybe. Gay.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »

Um...

I get the idea that she might be more attractive with different hair and/or makeup choices.

the crackwhore look is so hard to pull off

Casual Eddy on
  • duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anytime a female offers to get naked it just takes the challenge out of the whole deal.

So, I !pass, on naked passerby

duallain on
    edited September 2008
    Ah, N-1 for even N, 2N - 3 for odd N

look get out of here with your jive speak and your ghetto music

MikeMan on
    edited September 2008
    Yay association games?

I know a game where we can "associate."

Feral on

edited September 2008

1)no

2)maybe?

Well, if you thought I was male, you still said maybe. Gay.

look i'm not gay alright

i just suck dicks for pleasure

MikeMan on
    edited September 2008

1)no

2)maybe?

A "yes" answer is required regardless.

mrflippy on
    edited September 2008
    It's okay
    It's N-1 for even #s
    N for odd #s
    2N-3 for odd N

For odd N it's the answer for N-1 (which is even, so N-2) plus the N-1 handshakes for the odd guy out.

I think that's as efficient as you can get.

I am really really out of it because of these sinutabs though

Senjutsu on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Don't try to teach people that faith is bunk. That way lies only more pain, anger, and resentment. Teach them that faith can mean something different, something freeing and inclusive and malleable.

That is how you win hearts and minds.

Sorry for being late on the response to this (I was frantically trying to get a report out).

Just what can faith mean, Zimmy? I'm honestly curious. Faith to me is an empty concept. It is devoid of worth to society.

From my perspective, you're advocating that I lie to people's faces about faith in order that they don't outright reject my viewpoint. Is that what you're saying?

Faith doesn't have to refer to religious belief, you can have "faith" in a person or group of people to do the right thing, or in an optimistic belief to be proven right in the end. This particular definition may be closer to "trust," but I tend to think of trust as being earned whereas faith is offered. It's you taking the first step, placing responsibility in the hands of the other person to validate your belief that, when push comes to shove, they'll do the right thing.

That's the kind of faith you need to have: that when the chips are down, even if you disagree with someone you're still willing to believe that they're capable of putting their biases aside to serve a higher purpose. Sure, sometimes that faith won't be justified, and your hand of friendship will be slapped away. But that doesn't mean you stop, doesn't mean you become cynical and certainly doesn't mean you were wrong to make the first offer.

It's not easy, and it can be frustrating when people don't live up to your expectations, but naked cynicism never amounts to much of anything.

Ah. But see, that's equivocating.

If I'm talking to a religious person and I say "Faith is important to me, too" and I start talking about putting biases aside and believing in the goodness of people, I've just ceased talking about the very thing under discussion.

I am now not talking about their "Faith" in God. I'm talking about a looser, broader faith that is not "Belief in spite of logic or evidence."

I'm being disingenuous.

I didn't mean to suggest earlier that the method is to replace their religious faith with the secular optimism I elaborated on in the post you quoted. That "faith" is what I recommend to otherwise faithless people who have a hard time identifying with people of religious faith, and who tend towards a negative or overly pessimistic view of people in general.

With regard to what you're talking about, your optimism and open-mindedness re: their conservative beliefs will earn you some trust, which you can then use to help explain why your secular morality and their religious beliefs are not incompatible. Once you get to the point where you can both agree that intelligent adults can have otherwise conflicting views on certain issues, and yet still agree that the other is a "good person," you can begin to use that common ground to broaden their world view.

Most religious conservatives think that the secular world is openly hostile to them. You need to show them otherwise, but you can't do that if you don't trust them first. Believe it or not, even the most dour fundamentalist tends to think of themselves as being "optimistic," because they believe that God will solve their problems in the end. You need to show them that you can be optimistic too, because you believe that mankind, as children of God, have the ability to recognize and choose the right path. You can co-opt their own logic, use their faith to help convince them, so long as you're sincere and they don't think you're just trying to manipulate their beliefs to your advantage.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
    edited September 2008
    nothin' gay about suckin' dicks

MikeMan on
    edited September 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »

Um...

Yes. And some, you know, fat and muscle. And a shower because her hair didn't just look poorly styled but kinda ratty.

Feral on

edited September 2008
    duallain wrote: »
    Anytime a female offers to get naked it just takes the challenge out of the whole deal.

So, I !pass, on naked passerby

Nah, not offering. Being forced to by Mike.

He's such a misogynist.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2008
    Don't try to teach people that faith is bunk. That way lies only more pain, anger, and resentment. Teach them that faith can mean something different, something freeing and inclusive and malleable.

That is how you win hearts and minds.

Sorry for being late on the response to this (I was frantically trying to get a report out).

Just what can faith mean, Zimmy? I'm honestly curious. Faith to me is an empty concept. It is devoid of worth to society.

From my perspective, you're advocating that I lie to people's faces about faith in order that they don't outright reject my viewpoint. Is that what you're saying?

Faith doesn't have to refer to religious belief, you can have "faith" in a person or group of people to do the right thing, or in an optimistic belief to be proven right in the end. This particular definition may be closer to "trust," but I tend to think of trust as being earned whereas faith is offered. It's you taking the first step, placing responsibility in the hands of the other person to validate your belief that, when push comes to shove, they'll do the right thing.

That's the kind of faith you need to have: that when the chips are down, even if you disagree with someone you're still willing to believe that they're capable of putting their biases aside to serve a higher purpose. Sure, sometimes that faith won't be justified, and your hand of friendship will be slapped away. But that doesn't mean you stop, doesn't mean you become cynical and certainly doesn't mean you were wrong to make the first offer.

It's not easy, and it can be frustrating when people don't live up to your expectations, but naked cynicism never amounts to much of anything.

Ah. But see, that's equivocating.

If I'm talking to a religious person and I say "Faith is important to me, too" and I start talking about putting biases aside and believing in the goodness of people, I've just ceased talking about the very thing under discussion.

I am now not talking about their "Faith" in God. I'm talking about a looser, broader faith that is not "Belief in spite of logic or evidence."

I'm being disingenuous.

I didn't mean to suggest earlier that the method is to replace their religious faith with the secular optimism I elaborated on in the post you quoted. That "faith" is what I recommend to otherwise faithless people who have a hard time identifying with people of religious faith, and who tend towards a negative or overly pessimistic view of people in general.

With regard to what you're talking about, your optimism and open-mindedness re: their conservative beliefs will earn you some trust, which you can then use to help explain why your secular morality and their religious beliefs are not incompatible. Once you get to the point where you can both agree that intelligent adults can have otherwise conflicting views on certain issues, and yet still agree that the other is a "good person," you can begin to use that common ground to broaden their world view.

Most religious conservatives think that the secular world is openly hostile to them. You need to show them otherwise, but you can't do that if you don't trust them first. Believe it or not, even the most dour fundamentalist tends to think of themselves as being "optimistic," because they believe that God will solve their problems in the end. You need to show them that you can be optimistic too, because you believe that mankind, as children of God, have the ability to recognize and choose the right path. You can co-opt their own logic, use their faith to help convince them, so long as you're sincere and they don't think you're just trying to manipulate their beliefs to your advantage.

I agree with everything in this post.

MikeMan on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    So I decided to try out Baldur's Gate after all this time owning a copy...created a mage and...I only get to use Magic Missile once? WTF?
    Uhm, you have never played or read over the basic rules of Dungeons & Dragons before?

Spells and special abilities are not as common as in most fantasy games, especially at lower levels you will have to depend on your common weapons a lot more. As you progress you'll get to learn more spells, but you still won't be able to just spam them. That's not how magic works in D&D.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    Yay association games?

I know a game where we can "associate."

Does it involve pudding?

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.