As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cedar Point Action Jackson Saturday - October 11

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited October 2008 in PAX Archive
Cedar Point Action Jackson Saturday
What? Come to Cedar Point, ride some coasters, it'll be awesome. Bonus: you can wear a halloween costume
Cedar%20point%20whole%20park.jpg
Where? Sandusky, Ohio
When? Saturday, October 11
Why? For the coasters (didn't I say that already?) and hanging out
Who? Post in the thread and I'll add you to the list
Definitely Going: 18
1. Moe Fwacky +6
2. Hotsake
3. VThornheart +1
4. mentok
5. Geekgrrl
6. Gravy Robber
7. Reisaroni
8. hottopicreject +1
9. CynderCyn
10. yoshamano
Maybe Going: 2
1. Jordman12
2. Skinnay

Here's some more info on the rides at Cedar Point, for the curious
Roller Coasters
  • Chaos - A Chance-Morgan Chaos that opened in 1997 as one of the first ride of its kind in the world. It inverts its riders in three degrees of motion: lifting, inverting, and spinning.
  • Demon Drop - An Intamin AG first-generation Freefall attraction. It carries four passengers at a time up an elevator shaft, slides forward, and then falls downward on a track, giving two seconds of weightlessness. It is one of the only two remaining of it's kind in the United States.
  • maXair - A Huss Giant Frisbee ride that swings back and forth at an arc of up to 100 degrees.
  • Skyhawk - An S&S Screamin' Swing, it is currently the world's largest swinging ride, reaching speeds of 60 mph and swings up to an arc of 92 degrees.
  • Power Tower- A typical Power Tower ride with Space Shot and Turbo Drop This ride is similar to the one erected at its sister park, Valleyfair!, in Shakopee, MN. The Power Tower at Valleyfair! only has three towers with only one tower being a space shot.
  • Troika- A common Troika ride
  • Witches' Wheel- A thrilling variation of the Ferris wheel, the Witches' Wheel turns riders upside down more than a dozen times nearly 60 feet above the midway. This ride is the same as Enterprise in its sister park, Valleyfair!, in Shakopee, MN. At one point, it had the distinction of the highest minimum height requirement (60 inches, though now reduced to 54 inches).
  • Snake River Falls - A Shoot-the-Chutes ride designed by Arrow Dynamics, Snake River Falls opened in 1993 as the tallest, steepest water ride in the world upon opening.
  • Thunder Canyon - A River Rafting Ride ride designed by Intamin AG, Thunder Canyon opened in 1986. Thunder Canyon was the second ever Intamin AG River Rafting Rides built, and currently is the oldest operating water ride of its type. Thunder Canyon normally closes in early September in order to transform into a Halloween attraction called Werewolf Canyon.
  • Antique Cars - An automobile track ride designed by Arrow Dynamics. One of three track rides in the park.
  • Cadillac Cars - A second track ride with cars designed to look like a 1914 Cadillac. Also made by Arrow Dynamics.
  • Calypso- A Mack Calypso ride that spins riders in two degrees of motion.
  • Cedar Downs Racing Derby Built in 1920 by Prior and Church and brought to Cedar Point in 1967, this Carousel simulates a horse race, and is one of only three still operating today. The other two are located at Playland[6], in Rye, New York; and Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, in Blackpool, UK.
  • Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad - Opened in 1963. The 15-minute train excursion encompasses a two-mile (3 km) trip over bridges and through a land of "Old West" animation.
  • Giant Wheel - A Ferris wheel Manufactured by Anton Schwarzkopf[7], at 136 feet (41 m) tall, Giant Wheel is one of the tallest Ferris wheels in North America.[1]
  • Kiddy Kingdom Carousel - A carousel designed by the William H. Dentzel firm of Philadelphia. It's located in the Kiddie Kingdom section of the park.
  • Matterhorn - A Mack Matterhorn circular ride that swings riders as it moves in a clockwise motion while traveling up and down.
  • Midway Carousel - One of the few remaining Daniel Muller Carousels, it was built in 1912, and moved to Cedar Point 1946. It's the oldest existing ride at Cedar Point.
  • Monster - A standard Eyerly Monster ride.
  • Ocean Motion - A Huss swinging pirate ship ride.
  • Paddlewheel Excursions (formerly Western Cruise) - Boats that transport its guests on a relaxing voyage around Cedar Point’s lagoons past scenes depicting early Americana.
  • Scrambler - An Eli Bridge Scrambler ride that is one of the oldest rides at Cedar Point.
  • Sky Ride - Manufactured by Von Roll, this standard aerial tram-way opened in 1961.
  • Space Spiral - This 330-foot (100 m) tall Von Roll observation tower gives riders a 360-degree view of the surrounding area. First Amusement Park ride in the world to top 300 feet (91 m), tallest in the world when it was built and second tallest ride in the park if you include the antenna.
  • Super Himalaya - A circular Mack Musik Express ride that travels in a clockwise motion on a track of various elevations.
  • Tilt-a-Whirl - A Sellner Tilt-A-Whirl ride.
  • Turnpike Cars - The park's third car track ride, it features big 1960's-style cruising cars.
  • Wave Swinger - A Zierer Wave Swinger ride featuring hand painted murals.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm working on it. Let me run it by my boss.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I can make this. Ceder Point is relatively close.

Also, there are group rates, so we might want to get in on that

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I... I think I can do this if I schedule my cross-country move right!

I'll have to check with my wife, figure out the schedule, and all that... but it does seem like the timing is unmistakably fate. =) lol I'll see what I can do!

I should note that neither my wife nor I are particularly good with roller coasters... but I think we'd be more than glad to go and hang out for a while... if for nothing else than to hang out with you guys for a bit for some socializing. =)=)

We CAN do tamer ones though, which I'm 100% up for. Non loop-de-loops or straight falls we're good with. =) And anything under a reasonable speed limit. =) lol

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    KalaylajaylaKalaylajayla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Highly unlikely I'll be able to get it off work, but I will see what I can do.

Kalaylajayla on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dammit I wanna go... that sounds like fun.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it's all decked out for Halloween, too.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moe, any other day and I would be happy as a clam... oh well. helping out the fiance instead makes her happy and therefore I'm happy as well.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will do my damnedest to get to this!

Lord Homsar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Something I haven't mentioned here, October is Halloweekends at Cedar Point, so dressing up in costume is fully encouraged.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Jordman12Jordman12 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm only about 3 hours away from Cedar Point. I would love to go on that weekend.

Jordman12 on
    2015 PAX East Omeganaut
    2016 PAX East Omeganaut

HAIL HATS !!!!!!!

@Jordman12
  • Options
    SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    moe you can count me in for a maybe! i haven't gotten the saturday schedule yet for work so i don't knwo for sure yet. i gotta take the weekend of the 25th because i'll be turning 21 finally... so it'll be lucky if i get it off ><

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    ReisaroniReisaroni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gravy Robber and I are a maybe.

What time do you think we would all be meeting up?

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I hadn't thought of that. Maybe 10ish.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Hotsake CONFIRMED

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Whoah. So you are watching IRC. Yes, I'm go for launch! I'm flying into Cleveland at around 9pm on Friday. Any suggestions for getting into town? Also, can I crash with you?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Awesome!

Aye, I'm also 100% go, my wife is excited to do it, and thanks to Moe's incredible help, it's all planned out!

Thank you again Moe! You rocked my socks so thoroughly that the socks of everyone in a 5 mile radius were rocked in proxy! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I added some more details about Cedar Point in the OP, for those of you who've never heard of it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sandusky Ohio is only 7 hours and 10 minutes away. So naturally... I am in!

I can work on Friday until like 2PM and then hit the road and be in Sandusky around 9PMish.
    There sure are a lot of toll roads though. I will have to get plenty of change.

I will need some place to sleep Friday night and Saturday night.
    I know Moe lives in Ohio, so do I need to get a hotel room or can I crash at your pad Moe?
    If not, that's cool. I can stay here for $164 a night and get into the park 1 hour early!

I am super excited. I love rollercoasters and Cedar Point has many of the best in the entire world.
    I have seen some of its rides on those rollercoaster coutdown shows.

Top Thrill Dragster is EPIC!!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Thrill_Dragster
    Wikipedia wrote:
    When Top Thrill Dragster first debuted, it set five new records:

First continuous-circuit roller coaster to go beyond 400 feet in height
    First roller coaster to reach 120 mph using a hydraulic launch system
    Highest drop of any coaster
    Fastest roller coaster in the world
    Tallest roller coaster in the world

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am working on convincing my friends (all gamers and Penny Arcade fans) to join me on my trip to Sandusky.
    They are:

Jason Cantrell from Baltimore. Avid Penny Arcade fan, Xbox 360 Wii and DS gamer and music enthusiast.

Brandon Daiker from the Pittsburg area. Casual Penny Arcade fan, Nintendo fansite Lead Editor,
    Wii, DS, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Dreamcast, Virtual Boy, Genesis, Sega Saturn gamer.

Jess (Brandon's girlfriend) from the Pittsburg area. Casual Penny Arcade fan, Wii, DS, PC gamer and Japanese
    language and culture expert.

Shannon (Geekgrrl on these forums) from Chicago. Avid Penny Arcade fan, PAX 2008 attendee, PC, Wii, DS
    and brand new Xbox 360 gamer.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So mentok +4 under maybe?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    So mentok +4 under maybe?

mentok1982 for sure

The other three are teh pending ones. Look at them over there... pending. That's all they seem to do and it
    makes me sick!

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay. As for crashing at my place, there's a few notes. My apartment is small, and I can't put up more than two comfortably. Right now, I've got HotSake for sure and randomguy is still a maybe, but since that motherfucker always has a spot on my couch, I can't promise it away until I know if he's coming or not.

Also, I live in Lakewood, which is about 45 minutes away from Sandusky. So if you want to avoid more driving after coming in, you might want to just go straight for Sandusky and sleep there. Or you could drive to pittsburgh and spend the night there with those people above who are from pittsburgh, then get up early and drive to sandusky from there. It's about 3-3.5 hours drive from pittsburgh.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay. As for crashing at my place, there's a few notes. My apartment is small, and I can't put up more than two comfortably. Right now, I've got HotSake for sure and randomguy is still a maybe, but since that motherfucker always has a spot on my couch, I can't promise it away until I know if he's coming or not.

Also, I live in Lakewood, which is about 45 minutes away from Sandusky. So if you want to avoid more driving after coming in, you might want to just go straight for Sandusky and sleep there. Or you could drive to pittsburgh and spend the night there with those people above who are from pittsburgh, then get up early and drive to sandusky from there. It's about 3-3.5 hours drive from pittsburgh.

That's cool man. Those dudes probably know you better. Almost all my interaction with you occured at the
    PAX Dinner when I got you guys your food when you finally showed up.

The hotel's price is good and it will only get gooder if a friend shares it with me. I have also thought
    about staying in Pittsburgh...

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hey Moe!

Can you hook us up with "special savings" from Pespi, Discount Drug Mart Food Fair, Meijer, Giant Eagle, or
    Burger King? They are listed here as "partners" from which one can obtain "special savings" to Cedar Point.
    I think these "savings" are like little coupons that you can find at those locations. Here in MD, we have
    Six Flags and Hershey Park coupons at our fast food places.

In other news... Geekgrrl is confirmed. Her bother-in law and his wife are now pending as well. So my group
    contains 2 confirmed and 5 pending.

Also... This weekend you chose is a three day weekend because of Columbus Day so I think me and my group
    will return to Cedar Point on Sunday then go home Monday morning. Since we are planning on spending two
    days at Cedar Point, I think this online deal for pay once visit twice is the best deal for us.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    hottopicrejecthottopicreject The Mitten StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Top Thrill Dragster is EPIC!!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Thrill_Dragster
    Wikipedia wrote:
    When Top Thrill Dragster first debuted, it set five new records:

First continuous-circuit roller coaster to go beyond 400 feet in height
    First roller coaster to reach 120 mph using a hydraulic launch system
    Highest drop of any coaster
    Fastest roller coaster in the world
    Tallest roller coaster in the world

You forgot to mention that the stupid thing only lasts like 17 seconds, and in it's first year was down more often than it was up. I know because I waited in line for 4 hours for that mother fucker, only to find out the Millenium Force was a million times more fun. I'm probably just bitter.

My Favorites are probably MF and The Raptor.

Also Moe, me and the girlfriend are a maybe on this. I'll find out tonight if I can get it off work, then plan from there, but figured I'd throw a post up.

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That's cool man. Those dudes probably know you better. Almost all my interaction with you occured at the
    PAX Dinner when I got you guys your food when you finally showed up.

The hotel's price is good and it will only get gooder if a friend shares it with me. I have also thought
    about staying in Pittsburgh...

it's a cedar point hotel and on a halloweekends so it's probably pretty booked. you might want to look into reserving a room now just in case

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This is a note for those of you that enjoy playing games with other people or even enjoy watching people
    playing games together.
    I will have hotel room at Cedar Point's Breakers Express hotel. In that room will be a Xbox 360 Elite
    with Rock Band 2, a RB1 drum set, a RB1 guitar and a microphone connected to it. Said Xbox also will
    contain Castle Crashers. A Wii will should also be in attendance.

You may have noticed that I listed only three instruments. That is because I own only three so I am
    LFARBCGC (Looking For Another Rock Band Compatible Guitar Controller).

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    By the way Moe, I checked out the FAQ on the halloweekends website, and they actually say they prefer people not to come in costume.
    Q: Can I wear my favorite costume?

A: While we know it's the season for scaring, we'd prefer you left your mask and makeup at home. Leave the haunting to us ghouls and enjoy your time here.

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    ReisaroniReisaroni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gravy Robber and I are confirmed!

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They say no mask and makeup... we need mask/makeup-less costumes! =);)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Grr. Maybe I can break out my old plan for a janky PAX costume.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Got the time off work, we're good to go!

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In other news... Geekgrrl is confirmed. Her bother-in law and his wife are now pending as well. So my group
    contains 2 confirmed and 5 pending.

My group is now 2 confirmed and 3 pending.

Geekgrrl is trying to figure out how to get to Sandusky but she is determined to get there.

Jason, Brandon and Jess are all super excited, but they are not sure if they can come yet...

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    geekgrrlgeekgrrl Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Geekgrrl is trying to figure out how to get to Sandusky but she is determined to get there.

yeah.. what he said. :lol:

coming from Chicago, my best option is to rent a car. (Megabus & airport = way out at Cleveland, Amtrak & Greyhound = crappy scheduling) my problem is...i don't drive. technically i can, but i haven't driven more than, like, 5 miles at a time in 6 years. anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do besides/in addition to what i listed above? or, is anyone else coming from Chicago? (doubt it, this town is bereft of cool kids...)

geekgrrl on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    geekgrrl wrote: »

yeah.. what he said. :lol:

coming from Chicago, my best option is to rent a car. (Megabus & airport = way out at Cleveland, Amtrak & Greyhound = crappy scheduling) my problem is...i don't drive. technically i can, but i haven't driven more than, like, 5 miles at a time in 6 years. anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do besides/in addition to what i listed above? or, is anyone else coming from Chicago? (doubt it, this town is bereft of cool kids...)

I would offer to pick her up folks, but that would require 12 hours for me to drive to Chicago (past Sandusky)
    and then 5 miles back towards Sandusky.

In other news. I booked the hotel room. Total cost is $384.87 after tax so we will split that equally amongst
    those staying in our room (which could be as few as 2 or up to 5 at this point).

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moe has informed me about this thread so I will post here too. Yosh and I would like to attend this gathering. We can drive right to Sandusky from Michigan and meet up at the park. Unless you guys have a different meet up spot in mind.

Cynd3rCyn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cynd3rCyn wrote: »
    Moe has informed me about this thread so I will post here too. Yosh and I would like to attend this gathering. We can drive right to Sandusky from Michigan and meet up at the park. Unless you guys have a different meet up spot in mind.

Those of you not staying at a Cedar Point hotel will be getting into the park at 10AM, 1 hour after everyone
    staying in my room. So you 10AM peoples will have to meet my group (and anyone else staying in a Cedar Point
    hotel) inside the main gates. Or maybe we can shake hands and 'give hugz' through the steel bars. If there are
    steel bars.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sadly, I will be otherwise occupied that weekend. Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to miss the day. It's possible that I could get down there sat. night for some of the parties, if there are any.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cynd3rCyn wrote: »

Those of you not staying at a Cedar Point hotel will be getting into the park at 10AM, 1 hour after everyone
    staying in my room. So you 10AM peoples will have to meet my group (and anyone else staying in a Cedar Point
    hotel) inside the main gates. Or maybe we can shake hands and 'give hugz' through the steel bars. If there are
    steel bars.

actualllllllyyyyy if we all met up at like 830 we could all get in the park an hour early ^_^
    they only give you one pass to get in so you can take your group in with you. I go there every year and stay at the campground in my friends rv and like 6 of us go in at once with only one of the early bird passes

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Skinnay wrote: »
    actualllllllyyyyy if we all met up at like 830 we could all get in the park an hour early ^_^
    they only give you one pass to get in so you can take your group in with you. I go there every year and stay at the campground in my friends rv and like 6 of us go in at once with only one of the early bird passes

If that works this time it will be tits!

mentok1982 on
This discussion has been closed.