As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LED ISSUE WITH THE PAX 2008 MOUSE!

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited January 2009 in PAX Archive
This is kind of a bummer to announce, but as some of you may have noticed, there's an issue with a good number of the Limited Edition PAX 2008 Mice - Apparently some of the mice weren't wired correctly or something, and it's not lighting up. Even though this doesn't affect the performance of the mouse at all, it's still a less than ideal situation.

So our hardware partner, Razer, has agreed to totally do the RIGHT THING and provide a free replacement at no cost to those that bought the mouse. You don't even have to send the old one back. I know it makes the mice a little less limited, but i figured that was better than a bunch of mice that didn't light up. You're being verified based on the serial number on the bottom of the mouse, so go ahead and fill out this form and they'll send you a new one once the production run gets going again. Here you go:

http://www.razersupport.com/pax-deathadder/

Thanks for understanding everyone, and sorry for the inconvenience!

Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• Options
    GenXerGenXer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks a lot for the heads up, Robert. I'd noticed the problem while I was still at PAX, as a BYOC'er I plugged the mouse in right away. I stopped in at the Razer booth on Saturday afternoon, and their tech, George Wang, was very friendly and helpful. At the time, of course, he didn't know what the issue was, but he gave me his card and said to follow up after the show for a solution.

I sent him an email last week, and he responded with one of the most thorough and helpful emails I've gotten in a long time. He explained, just as you did, that the manufacturing flaw prevented most of the PAX mice from lighting up, and also that the replacement program would be free and not require the return of the original. I let him know how happy I was both with the response as well as with the resolution to the problem.

Whatever or whoever sparked the idea of creating the PAX mouse to begin with, great choice on partnering with Razer to do it. I'm pleased with both their response and yours, and very happy that I bought the mouse.

GenXer on
    Twitter: @GenXer | Flickr: Gene Eckser | Xbox Live: Gene Eckser
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    on a side note i just filled this thing out. however there are 2 barcodes with 2 sets of numbers (i used the one on the right) which one was the correct one?

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    GenXerGenXer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    @s7arbuck - If you look on the bottom of the mouse itself, there should be a line that says S/N: followed by a white box with the serial in it. I believe there's only one number on the mouse, whereas there are two numbers on the mouse packaging. That should clarify it.

GenXer on
    Twitter: @GenXer | Flickr: Gene Eckser | Xbox Live: Gene Eckser
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, that's awesome. My 'X' lights up, but not my scroll wheel. It really wouldn't bother me, but hey free mouse. Now I have one for my desktop and my laptop.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    Razer|MjolnirRazer|Mjolnir Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just wanted to jump in here to make sure everyone who picked up the mouse at PAX gets taken care of.

Just note, the lighting issue is just the scroll wheel, not the logo. Other than that, there is no other issue and it should perform as you would expect.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Once again, we are sorry about this issue and we are going to make sure everyone gets a fully functioning mouse.

Travis
    Razer Community Manager

Razer|Mjolnir on
    Razer Community Manager
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just wanted to jump in here to make sure everyone who picked up the mouse at PAX gets taken care of.

Just note, the lighting issue is just the scroll wheel, not the logo. Other than that, there is no other issue and it should perform as you would expect.

Oh. I didn't know the scroll wheel was supposed to light up.

The return form doesn't allow me to select my home state (Alabama).

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    thank you very much for the opportunity to get this problem fixed, i didnt realize my scroll wheel was saposed to light up untill a week after i was using it.

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nijhazer wrote: »

Alabama is a state now? Hrm...we will have to get this fixed.

Yeah, no idea why the yellowhammer state didn't make the list. I let our web team know and it will be fixed shortly.

Razer|Mjolnir on
    Razer Community Manager
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Alabama is a state now? Hrm...we will have to get this fixed.

Yeah, no idea why the yellowhammer state didn't make the list. I let our web team know and it will be fixed shortly.

Thanks very much! In the meantime, I copied the form to my own server and added Alabama to the drop-down. Since the form is just posting to a script on your site, using this form should perform the same function, in case any other Alabamians picked up the mouse.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i filled it out to get a new one. i honestly had no idea the scroll wheel was supposed to light up, but i'm certainly glad i get an extra mouse! very cool of them, indeed.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just got an email response, looks like we should get our replacements in November.
    Hello,

Thanks for contacting Razer, we are sorry you have experienced this problem with the PAX edition DeathAdder. The PAX edition DeathAdder was a limited edition DeathAdder and sold out very quickly. We are in the process of manufacturing replacements for the PAX DeathAdders that are affected by this problem. We anticipate the shipping and manufacturing process to be completed by early November. At that point in time we will be back in touch and will give you details about receiving your replacement PAX DeathAdder. The replacement will be sent out at no cost to you. In the meantime please note that other than the light being out, the performance of your PAX DeathAdder is not affected in any way. We are sorry about this delay and will do everything to expedite this process for you. Thanks for your understanding and support of Razer.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • Options
    SeriousYesSeriousYes Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I don't know about you guys but... Apparently Washington state doesn't exist. Penny Arcade and I ... live in a state of nonexistance.

Please add Washington state to the list so I can order a replacement for my whirlygig as well.

SeriousYes on
  • Options
    Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You probably forgot to choose the United States in the drop down or something. I didn't have any problems.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SeriousYes wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys but... Apparently Washington state doesn't exist. Penny Arcade and I ... live in a state of nonexistance.

Please add Washington state to the list so I can order a replacement for my whirlygig as well.

i live in washington and had no problem finding it

dragon keeper x on
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    SeriousYesSeriousYes Registered User new member
    edited September 2008

Country Drop down: United States
    State Drop down: (a cut of the section to show you)
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington DC
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

Washington DC != Washington State.

This is from http://www.razersupport.com/pax-deathadder/ url.

SeriousYes on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Country Drop down: United States
    State Drop down: (a cut of the section to show you)
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington DC
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

Washington DC != Washington State.

This is from http://www.razersupport.com/pax-deathadder/ url.

well when i put in my request there was a washington state for me.....

dragon keeper x on
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    EuclideanEuclidean Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    So, no Washington state for me either. I know that sounds weird, but I'm serious. There really isn't a Washington state option in the drop down list for me. WTF?

My reply from Razor Support:

There is Washington DC in the drop down list.
    Please look through once again - http://www.razersupport.com/pax-deathadder/

It felt really weird replying to that message explaining the difference between Washington STATE and Washington DC. Oh well.

Euclidean on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Washington is being added.

I think/hope that takes care of all 50 of them.

Razer|Mjolnir on
    Razer Community Manager
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So yeah, I haven't gotten one of those fancy e-mails that Queen Brewer got. And I did a search of my junk folder and nothing came up. Then again that search never works very well. Anyways, should I fill it out again?

collinc on
  • Options
    ?diabetes??diabetes? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So... when is Washington State going to be added?

Will it still come in if a note was added to the address saying that Washington was not listed?

?diabetes? on
    on twitter @tehsleepypanda
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    collinc wrote: »
    So yeah, I haven't gotten one of those fancy e-mails that Queen Brewer got. And I did a search of my junk folder and nothing came up. Then again that search never works very well. Anyways, should I fill it out again?

indeed, same with me. it said i'd receive an email within 2 business days, but it's been weeks. should i be worried? and i live in washington and it worked, they must have changed the website and screwed it up.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, it was so good to hear about this. I knew that the other Death Adders had light up scroll wheels, and I figured it was just a trade off we had to take for having a custom mouse.

I'm a sucker for useless lights.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    adnprydeadnpryde Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Still waiting on WA state to be put back in the drop down.... sigh.

adnpryde on
  • Options
    ineptbeermanineptbeerman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate useless lights, but I still bought the mouse, and now that I know that the useless light doesn't work I want a new one... but I live in Seattle... any progress on that Washington state in the drop down menu?

ineptbeerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, the form on Razer's site is a standard HTML form that posts to a script on Razer's server, so you should be safe using this copy of the form-- all I did was copy the code from Razer's form and add Washington state.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    SG LukeSG Luke Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    By the way, I just saw this thread (heard about this through the post on the main site). I must say that it is absolutely awesome that Razer is just giving us a new one because one little light doesn't work. That really is fantastic, thank you!

SG Luke on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, the form on Razer's site is a standard HTML form that posts to a script on Razer's server, so you should be safe using this copy of the form-- all I did was copy the code from Razer's form and add Washington state.

that form no longer seems to work. I sumbitted one more request, since when I did it last, i got no response. i did manage to do it through the link khoo gave us, as washington has been returned to the list. i sure hope i can get my new mouse.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, looks like Razer may have changed their minds about replacing all the mice, broken or not. I got an email today saying they are replacing only mice that are broken.

Update: They are now also asking for a receipt. Who the hell got an itemized receipt from the PA booth. I paid in cash, and didn't get a receipt at all. Looks like this is turning into more of a headache then its worth. Its just the mousewheel light that isnt working.

BitTWist on
    3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm still not getting any of these e-mails. I don't remember getting a receipt, but what about my credit card statement? Would they accept that?

collinc on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I bet if you look at your credit card receipt, it only has a total amount of the charge. Not a list of items. So if they stick to the receipt requirement, i don't think it will work, as I could use any receipt from that weekend.

BitTWist on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Haha well I don't think any of us got receipts. So much for new a new mouse. :/

collinc on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    Wow, that sucks. Why did they bother offering new mice if only to retract the offer later?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited October 2008
    I have a funny feeling this is a, 'Left hand not talking to the right hand' issue. But we will see. I still haven't heard back from them about the 'no receipt' issue yet. Will keep posting updates.

BitTWist on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    collinc wrote: »
    I'm still not getting any of these e-mails. I don't remember getting a receipt, but what about my credit card statement? Would they accept that?

same here. way to fuck us over, razer. anybody down for a little 'class action' action? :)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just got this email:
    Hello,

Thanks for contacting Razer, we are sorry you have experienced this problem with the PAX edition DeathAdder. The PAX edition DeathAdder was a limited edition DeathAdder and sold out very quickly. We are in the process of manufacturing replacements for the PAX DeathAdders that are affected by this problem. We anticipate the shipping and manufacturing process to be completed by early November. At that point in time we will be back in touch and will give you details about receiving your replacement PAX DeathAdder. The replacement will be sent out at no cost to you. In the meantime please note that other than the light being out, the performance of your PAX DeathAdder is not affected in any way. We are sorry about this delay and will do everything to expedite this process for you. Thanks for your understanding and support of Razer.

So it looks like someone let the support staff know whats going on. Guess we will see come November.

BitTWist on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BitTWist wrote: »
    Just got this email:
    Hello,

So it looks like someone let the support staff know whats going on. Guess we will see come November.

That's the original e-mail that I received back when this first happened.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i didint get any receipt with my purchase of my mouse and used cash. if they dont allow me to get a new mouse im raising holy hell, spending 60 bucks for a faulty product. fuck that.

dragon keeper x on
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    same here. way to fuck us over, razer. anybody down for a little 'class action' action? :)

Orrrrrr, maybe instead of starting with mildly frivolous lawsuits, we can do something that would be considered more reasonable, like talk to Khoo? I'm willing to wager that if Razer initially insists on receipts for the mouse, he can either a) talk to them and work something out, or b) talk to us and work something out.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited October 2008
    Let me figure out what is going on guys. Thanks for the patience.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    Ty1012Ty1012 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The world is in your hands, Khoo. Well.......the part of the world that is our mice anyways.

Ty1012 on
This discussion has been closed.