As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cedar Point Action Jackson Saturday - October 11

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Gah, now I have to be there by 8:30. We'll see how well that works out. We'll need to exchange cell numbers before the date, so we actually find each other.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    hottopicrejecthottopicreject The Mitten StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hm, does it open that early? Again on the website, it said for Saturday Oct 11, they're only open from noon till midnight, so early birdie would be 11 then, wouldn't it?

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/visit/schedule/index.cfm

Also, I was wondering, have you guys all bought your cedar point tickets yet, or should we look into maybe a group deal?

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    geekgrrlgeekgrrl Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hm, does it open that early? Again on the website, it said for Saturday Oct 11, they're only open from noon till midnight, so early birdie would be 11 then, wouldn't it?

Also, I was wondering, have you guys all bought your cedar point tickets yet, or should we look into maybe a group deal?

well that's a complete bummer. they must be rolling out their fall hours then. good call, i assumed it was 10 am too.

geekgrrl on
  • Options
    ReisaroniReisaroni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/admission/groups/index.cfm

Small group (15 or more)

Church groups, small companies, college groups and family reunions can save big on park admission and food. Plan your perfect outing after reviewing your options and explore Cedar Point's massive family entertainment complex. As long as you have a group of 15 or more, you'll save! Please note, tickets must be reserved at least one week in advance by calling 1.800.448.2428. Children 2 & under are always free at Cedar Point & Soak City.

Regular Ticket $32.00 48" or taller in shoes
    Junior/Senior $13.95 Under 48" tall in shoes/age 62 & older

So maybe get an exact number and reserve them the week before?

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You can also order tickets in groups of 4 for $33 online (max 8 per order). Might be easier than coordinating the whole group thing.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay, so I've got a plan forming here, as a way to rid us of the cat for a day.

Do you live near this place, Moe? Do you happen to know of a hotel around there that accepts pets?

What I'm picturing is that I could roll into town, check into a cat-friendly hotel, plop down the little pee monster, and then head over to meet you guys. It should work I think!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I am about 45 minutes away from Cedar Point. There are, however, a lot of hotels in Sandusky (thanks to Cedar Point), one of them is bound to be pet friendly.

As a note, I refer to my cat as a "shit machine".

edit: Plus, if I'm not mistaken, your schedule has you getting in the night before, so you can check in and sleep before the coaster madness.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    lol! So if our two cats were to somehow have offspring, it would be a whirling and unstoppable power of waste product evacuation! =)

Ohhhh, okay, lemme check the schedule on that. Now that I think about it, you're probably right. Maybe I could arrange for a late check-out so that the cat can stay wherever we end up. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lol! So if our two cats were to somehow have offspring, it would be a whirling and unstoppable power of waste product evacuation! =)

Ohhhh, okay, lemme check the schedule on that. Now that I think about it, you're probably right. Maybe I could arrange for a late check-out so that the cat can stay wherever we end up. =)

Cats are awesome! I want to pet your kitty!

EDIT:

No pets are permitted in the hotel properties operated by Cedar Point.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

This man is correct. If we could meet at the gates before 11AM I could attempt to use my early pass thingy to
    get us all in at 11AM instead of noon.
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    We'll need to exchange cell numbers before the date, so we actually find each other.

I volunteer to be our switchboard operator guy. I got a brand new phone (same number though) with plenty of room for new contacts.

Moe should have my number. I gave it to him at the PAX Dinner. (Let me know if you need it again!) I could use your number Moe.
    VT has my number and I have his.
    Geekgrrl has my number and I have hers.

Everyone else, I need your 'digits' if you'd be so kind.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    No problem, maybe I can get one offsite of the actual Cedar Point park? It'd probably be cheaper that way anyways... and cheap, in this situation, will be key. =) Less money spent getting to NH = greater chance that our furniture won't consist of cardboard boxes when we get there. =)

EDIT: Also, I believe I've found the set of rides tailor-made just for me!

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/tranquil/index.cfm

I looked at the "Roller Coasters" category, and just the pictures were enough to make me feel kind of lightheaded and nauseous. =) lol

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/tranquil/index.cfm

I looked at the "Roller Coasters" category, and just the pictures were enough to make me feel kind of lightheaded and nauseous. =) lol

that's the whole point. :mrgreen:

i will say, though, i don't like huge drops. the last time i visited an amusement park, my first ride had a monster drop right off.. i seriously thought i was going to die. if anything i would have to work up to it. i do love me some turns, corkscrews, inverted rides.. but i'm disappointed that none of the rides go backwards. :?

geekgrrl on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So we're not starting with the Millennium Force?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    So we're not starting with the Millennium Force?

Maybe not starting, but we will ride it. There are things that I can say and do to Geekgrrl that will keep her
    mind off the terror.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I... um... well...

I'll ride the teacups if anyone else wants to. =)

My wife and I are both pretty much terrified of "intense" roller coasters. Both of us, at one point or another, have tried them... and were too gripped with fear to enjoy it. =) I tried Medusa many years ago... and I was shaking for a week. =) My wife, if I remember correctly, had her own experience many years ago.

We can do roller coasters, but ones that are more like Disneyland and less like Medusa. =) Basically we're just going to hang out with and see you guys, anything else we do is a bonus! =) I'll just be glad to be there. =) No one would enjoy a "hardcore" roller coaster while I'm on it.... especially if they're sitting near me. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You should start with the Top Speed Dragster. 420 ft up in the air at a 90 degree angle going about 100 miles. It'll make your legs into Jello when you stand up after. :D

Cynd3rCyn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    (closes his eyes in terror by thinking about it)

See, this is the reason why I don't like flying either. I don't like things that I can't at least pretend that I'm in control of, is what I think it comes down to. Driving? Probably less safe than a roller coaster, but I'm behind the wheel so I feel good. Either that, or it's the horrific way that you'd die if something DID somehow go wrong. =)

But I digress. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's only 17 seconds long. The Millennium Force is the money coaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHFi2OtqJlw

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    As I just told Moe in IRC, about 15 seconds in I would've probably started yelling "let me off... okay we can stop now!", and I'd have blacked out about 30 seconds in, tumbling out of the cart and to my death far below. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dude the Millenium Force is the money coaster. First time the girlfriend went on it, (which I forced her to do, yes I'm evil) she almost died at that very first descent. You don't realize how close to vertical it really is untill you're actually doing it, it's so sweet. Also, more exciting than Top Thrill's drop, even though top thrill's is literally vertical and faster. Not sure why though, maybe just because of the anticipation as you go up the hill.

Also, there are some not so freaky coasters there too. The Magnum XL200 is pretty vanilla from what I remember, no upside downs or that jazz. The Gemini isn't so bad either. Same with the Mine themed coaster. The gemini and mine one are wooden though, so they're a little more on the "vibrate your asscheeks" side, if that's a problem. That's kinda the cool thing about cedar point. Even if you don't like super crazy coasters (wussies...) it still has something for everyone.

Really looking forward to seeing you all there!

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dude the Millenium Force is the money coaster. First time the girlfriend went on it, (which I forced her to do, yes I'm evil) she almost died at that very first descent. You don't realize how close to vertical it really is untill you're actually doing it, it's so sweet. Also, more exciting than Top Thrill's drop, even though top thrill's is literally vertical and faster. Not sure why though, maybe just because of the anticipation as you go up the hill.

That doesn't sound like a feature! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    millenium-force.jpg
    300 feet of awesome.

Not nearly as scary as the Power Tower though.
    (linked for hugeness)
    http://www.cedarpoint.com/_upload/groups/powertower03.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah... I wouldn't live through that. =) I mean literally, my heart would probably explode out of my chest. I'll try it later, once I have life & heath insurance... maybe. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Not nearly as scary as the Power Tower though.
    (linked for hugeness)
    http://www.cedarpoint.com/_upload/groups/powertower03.jpg

yeah, see, you could probably get me on Millennium Force with enough sweet talk, but there's zero chance i'm going on that beast. not my thing.

but just because i won't go on that doesn't mean i won't go on plenty of other stuff! lord i'm excited! now if only i could solidify my travel plans!

there seems to be a small regional airport in Sandusky itself. has anyone ever done a commuter/charter flight at a smaller airport? my research has yielded little except that there are flights going in and out of it as far away as New York, so a Chicago flight would be feasible in theory. i know nothing about this sort of thing and don't even know if it's possible.. but if there's a will there's a way, right?

geekgrrl on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've only been on the side of the power tower that takes you up slowly and shoots you down fast, never on the one that jacks you up fast and lets you free fall. I love the anticipation of just waiting for the fall of ultimate doom. That and it gives you time to look around on your way up, which is pretty sweet.

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    MindibelleMindibelle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I remember the first time I went on the Power Tower I made this really weird sound as it shot us down, because I timed it out wrong. And it shot us down a couple seconds after I thought it was going to. It was funny I made everyone on my side laugh just because of that sound. :D

Mindibelle on
  • Options
    ReisaroniReisaroni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not really into the whole "free fall" bit so the Deamon Drop and the Power Tower are out for me. I like to ride the coasters that really secure you into the seat like the Raptor or even the Mantis. I feel a little uneasy with just a lap belt.

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    VT:
    I'd suggest the Iron Dragon as a not-so-scary much tamer ride.
    Also, it's worth noting that Cedar Point has their coasters ranked by "thrill factor," so it's worth looking those up

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Aye, I'll take a look =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Phone number update.

Moe hs my number. I don't have his.
    Reisaroni and Gravy Robber have my number and I have theirs.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mindibelle wrote: »
    I remember the first time I went on the Power Tower I made this really weird sound as it shot us down, because I timed it out wrong. And it shot us down a couple seconds after I thought it was going to. It was funny I made everyone on my side laugh just because of that sound. :D

once it gets to the top it's a 15 second wait til it drops you ^^

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Options
    Gravy RobberGravy Robber Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The scariest coaster in the park is easily the WildCat.
    Other coasters at least have a relative sense of safety. The WildCat looks like it's held together with twist-ties and rubber cement. Everytime the carts stop every single passenger is given a mild case of whiplash.

Hey, also:

Cedar Point roller coaster accident injures 9
    (Friday, May 16, 2008) - At Cedar Point theme park in Sandusky, Ohio, two roller coaster cars collided on the Wildcat roller coaster. Nine people were treated at the park's first aid station for bruises and sprains; one received treatment at a local medical center. The accident happened when one car failed to roll past the initial incline and rolled backward into another car.

PROTIP: NO EARRINGS ON THE MANTIS. They will get boxed into the sides of your fucking head.

Gravy Robber on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    PROTIP: NO EARRINGS ON THE MANTIS. They will get boxed into the sides of your fucking head.

good to know! my gaming headphones do that too, so i'll try to remember it like that.

booked my flight this evening.. flying into Cleveland Hopkins and mentok is being ever so gracious in picking me up along the way. thrills, spills and chills, here i come! :rotate:

geekgrrl on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The way the shoulder pads on the mantis play pong with your skull, I can understand the earring tip. I like the Mantis, but it isn't the most comfortable coaster. Especially since I'm taller, so it's hard to find a comfortable way to stand in the stupid thing. If I try to stand up straight before it locks, I've got that tiny bike seat thing trying to shove my nutsack into my torso. And if I don't stand up straight, I got the stupid shoulder harness holding me down the entire ride.

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The scariest coaster in the park is easily the WildCat.
    Other coasters at least have a relative sense of safety. The WildCat looks like it's held together with twist-ties and rubber cement. Everytime the carts stop every single passenger is given a mild case of whiplash.

Hey, also:

Cedar Point roller coaster accident injures 9
    (Friday, May 16, 2008) - At Cedar Point theme park in Sandusky, Ohio, two roller coaster cars collided on the Wildcat roller coaster. Nine people were treated at the park's first aid station for bruises and sprains; one received treatment at a local medical center. The accident happened when one car failed to roll past the initial incline and rolled backward into another car.

Hmmm... I can deal with that I think. It's the (unlikely, but existent in my paranoid head) notion that the cars might go careening off of the tracks and send us spiraling to our death, or the notion that I might be ejected from the car and - also - spiral to my death that makes me (irrationally) nervous about roller coasters. =)

Then again, seeing a cart stopped while we're heading toward it at high speeds would probably do no good for my "we're going to careen off the tracks to our deaths" fear. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Phone number update.

Moe hs my number. I don't have his.
    Reisaroni and Gravy Robber have my number and I have theirs.
    hottopicreject has my number and I have his.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bring your Xbox 360 controllers please!

I will have my 360 with me in my hotel room and I am looking forward to playing some Castle Crashers with
    you guys (and Rock Band 2 of course) but I only own 2 controllers. I will ask Geekgrrl to bring her controller
    but we will still need one more. So if you want to play with us, find room in your bag for your controller and
    some fresh or charged batteries.

That is all.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Internet.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ... eight days left before I move.

Is it okay for me to panic?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...

Well, whatever happens, it'll be good to see you guys there! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So can I count on anyone to bring a Xbox 360 controller with them?

I am adding Geometry Wars 2 and Soulcalibur IV to the party as well. If none of the following games interest
    you, I will not allow you to enter my hotel room because you have poor taste.

Rock Band 2
    Castle Crashers
    Geometry Wars 2
    Soulcalibur IV

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, if my wife hasn't packed it yet I can bring mine (if you still need one)! =)

EDIT: And I definitely want to try Rock Band 2 =) Which hotel are you going to be at?

... do they allow [crossout]furry annoying pee monsters[/crossout] cats by any chance?

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.